User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 7:35:51 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Thats not true.

You are talking to a church elder on the finance committee, who is also the grandson of a dear departed preacher. It most certainly IS true.

Churches get tax-exempt status, and when the pastor walks into CircuitCity for a new toy, merely whips out his exemption certificate and pays no tax.

Absolutely untrue.

If the purchase at CC is FOR the church, then the pastor has to have a sales tax exemption form ON FILE with the store, and then the purchase can be exempted from sales tax. The purchase typically has to be made with the church's financial accounts to receive the tax exemption. (And there are laws about how the church's accounts can be used. You cannot use them like your own personal piggy bank, or else you end up in Club Fed...)

Same applies for car tax, thats sales tax.

Uh...not quite.

There is a sales tax on the purchase of a car, that is true. But in many states there is also a personal property tax on personally owned vehicles. And with these items, the same rule applies:

If the purchase is FOR the church, then the church has to have a tax exemption form on file that includes their state issued tax exemption number, and the purchase has to be made with the church's account.

I also don't believe churches pay property tax.

Churches, like Universities, Hospitals, and other charitable organizations, do not typically pay property taxes.

Pastors, however, DO.

I don't know about social security or income tax.

I do.

Pastors and church employees must still pay SS tax out of their checks, and the church itself must pay the 7.5% payroll tax on the payroll of every employee, from the pastor to the janitor.

I'll conceed to "partially tax-free" because I'm not clear on all aspects.

Try "minimally tax free".

Churches, like other charitable and public institutions, don't pay property or sales tax, but that hardly makes them "tax free". When the church buys gasoline for a church vehicle, they still pay the gas tax. When they buy tires for a church vehicle, they still pay the federal excise tax on tires, etc.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 7:37:04 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Well that explains why there are so many pastures, decans, and other 'clergy' members around.

Thats exactly what I'm sayin'.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 7:40:07 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Churches, like other charitable and public institutions, don't pay property or sales tax, but that hardly makes them "tax free".

Sir, from reading your posts, I assumed long ago that you are an honorable, and good man. Whether we agree or disagree would have no bearings on that. Based on this, I'd be inclined to believe you own up to your obligations and responsibilities. Instead of taking advantage of opportunities.

On the other hand, theres alot of people out there who are not honorable, good men.

Once you've got your hands on an exemption, it would be rather easy to do everything "for the church".

Link Posted: 11/2/2006 7:41:40 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Again, completely untrue.

There is no loophole in the law that allows pastors or deacons or elders or whatever to get out of paying taxes.

The church itself is exempted from paying certain kinds of taxes, but typically those are only property and sales taxes. People who work for or are associated with the church have to pay the piper like everyone else.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 7:42:22 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Well that explains why there are so many pastures, decans, and other 'clergy' members around.

That's funny. I never quite figured out the racket but thought there had to be something good about it since there were so many.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 7:45:15 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
On the other hand, theres alot of people out there who are not honorable, good men.

I know. One of the previous pastors at my church used the church's account like his own personal piggy bank.

He just got out of jail last year, had to pay the state of Virginia huge fines for improper use of tax exemption (as did our church...), and that is all before the massive check fraud scam he ran was uncovered.

Once you've got your hands on an exemption, it would be rather easy to do everything "for the church".

And once you see what happens to someone who tries that one time, you realize it isn't so easy after all. Tax authorities scrutinize the hell out of church finances.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 7:46:26 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
There is no loophole in the law that allows pastors or deacons or elders or whatever to get out of paying taxes.

The church itself is exempted from paying certain kinds of taxes, but typically those are only property and sales taxes. People who work for or are associated with the church have to pay the piper like everyone else.

No, but you use the big black caddy for church business.
You might even live in/on church property.
The church account could be used for any and all sorts of things.

I just see it as a way to essentially funnel money... and people here have been busted for doing so, but I suspect theres alot more of it going on than anyone would like to believe... And it's not politically correct to investigate.

Like I say, though... I don't believe everyone does it.
I'm positive some of them do.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 7:46:42 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
That's funny. I never quite figured out the racket but thought there had to be something good about it since there were so many.

UGH!

There's no "racket" unless people are doing something illegal.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 7:48:38 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I know. One of the previous pastors at my church used the church's account like his own personal piggy bank.

Sorry to hear that its happened to your church. I'm very glad to hear the criminal was prosecuted harshly.

I believe there are a number of churches set up for solely that reason though.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 7:50:53 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The church account could be used for any and all sorts of things.

Again, I am more familiar with church finances than ANYONE else here. I am telling you flat out: Unless they break the law, no they can't.

I just see it as a way to essentially funnel money... and people here have been busted for doing so, but I suspect theres alot more of it going on than anyone would like to believe... And it's not politically correct to investigate.

Like I say, though... I don't believe everyone does it.
I'm positive some of them do.

In any population you will find criminals. That is a given.

Of course there are some that do. I have dealt with it first hand. I have also watched the IRS and various state and local tax agencies climb up in their colon and make camp over tax matters.

Hence the idea that there is some sort of general "racket" going on is untrue.

Churches have to follow the law like everyone else, and if pastors or church employees do not follow the law, then they will pay the penalty just like everyone else.

The vast majority of churches in this nation (on the order of 75-80%) barely have finances enough to pay the light bills and keep the roof from falling in. In our denomination, 70% of the ministers don't even get a salary for the job that they do.

Thus the idea of a "racket" just doesn't fly. If someone is going into the ministry to get tax breaks and get rich, they are an idiot because the odds are about as good of it as of winning the lottery.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 7:51:39 AM EDT
[#11]
He parked his car illegally and got caught. Stop being a bitch and pay up sucka
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 7:52:17 AM EDT
[#12]
That has got to be the dumbest cop in the whole world.  If he (the white male officer) had said "we're giving you the ticket because you were parked illegally", this would have been a non issue.  Instead, he said "we're giving you the ticket because you copped an attitude", which sounds suspiciously like "we're giving you the ticket because:
a) you're acting uppity
b) to put you in your place".  Mr. Preacher Man deserved the ticket, but the JBT (at the very least) deserves to get smacked in the head for being a dipshit unprofessional.  I think the moral of this story is that if you're going to piss off powerful people, you'd better have your T's crossed and I's doted, or you're going to end up licking a lot of boots.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 7:54:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 8:01:03 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

UGH!

There's no "racket" unless people are doing something illegal.

I'm not wanting to argue, I'm sure you're a great guy, but I've been in offices were there were more clergy than you could shake a stick at.

If their claims were not backed up by others then I'd had to call bs. The thing/ trait that made me think there was a racket (maybe not something illegal, maybe just along the lines of getting invited to all the funerals in the church for free food) involved was that these 'men' were not what I call church going men, their thuggery was plainly evident and the lifestyle was clearly lived or they at least posed themselves as 'players' and the last time I checked G8D didn't give out extra credit for banging ho's and b*tches on the down low, if you know what I mean.

I'm not claiming to be an expert on those churches and each person has to pursue their relationship with G*d their own way. But when a quiore director has gold capped teeth and keeps her street talk 'real' and also happens to be a 40ish mother of two. I have to laugh and think something is wrong when Christians are not supposed to be so worried about being real and jiggy and all the other wordly things.

I just question their faith and look for other reasons for the to be clergy, it certainly isn't the increase in booty calls.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 8:04:32 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
That has got to be the dumbest cop in the whole world.  If he (the white male officer) had said "we're giving you the ticket because you were parked illegally", this would have been a non issue.  Instead, he said "we're giving you the ticket because you copped an attitude", which sounds suspiciously like "we're giving you the ticket because:
a) you're acting uppity
b) to put you in your place".  Mr. Preacher Man deserved the ticket, but the JBT (at the very least) deserves to get smacked in the head for being a dipshit unprofessional.  I think the moral of this story is that if you're going to piss off powerful people, you'd better have your T's crossed and I's doted, or you're going to end up licking a lot of boots.

The officer was probably pointing out that the preacher escelated the situation from a possible verbal warning/ warning ticket into an actual ticket. Nothing wrong with an officer pointing that out and offering suggestions on how to stay out of trouble in the future.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 8:05:49 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I'm not claiming to be an expert on those churches and each person has to pursue their relationship with G*d their own way. But when a quiore director has gold capped teeth and keeps her street talk 'real' and also happens to be a 40ish mother of two. I have to laugh and think something is wrong when Christians are not supposed to be so worried about being real and jiggy and all the other wordly things.

I just question their faith and look for other reasons for the to be clergy, it certainly isn't the increase in booty calls.

You are describing one very messed up "church". One that will most likely be gone in a matter of 10 years.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 8:13:36 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are describing one very messed up "church". One that will most likely be gone in a matter of 10 years.

I wish you were right but friends of mine have told me similiar tales. I think some of these churches are little better than community centers where religion is not the main purpose. Then again, maybe I've just been unfurtunate to have seen these things during a bad period of the church. Maybe at one time it was better, maybe in the future under new leadership it will get back to it's core purposes.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 8:15:14 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
The officer was probably pointing out that the preacher escelated the situation from a possible verbal warning/ warning ticket into an actual ticket. Nothing wrong with an officer pointing that out and offering suggestions on how to stay out of trouble in the future.

Thats exactly my feelings on the matter...
AND it is exactly what I would expect... no, I know thats exactly what would happen to me in the same identical situation.

Quoted:

This is exactly the type of church I was speaking about as well.
I take it this sort of thing isn't common in Virginia?

You see a "Man of God" standing next to a "steet thug" or pimp, and theres usually a clear difference. There is some motivation there to pose as the former while actually being the latter. I cannot tell you what that is, the only thing I can come up with is laundering and tax exemption.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 8:16:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Ego on both sides.

A prominent Harlem minister says he was hassled and humiliated in his neighborhood by a cop who accused him of giving police "attitude" during a dispute over a $115 parking ticket.

Butts said the confrontation came moments after he parked his black Cadillac sedan in front of a bus stop near Jimbo's Hamburger Palace around 6 p.m.

Especially with this guy.
The rules don't apply to me.

Cop should have given him the ticket for parking illegally, not for attitude.
Mistake to give a ticket for an unquantifiable offense.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 8:18:04 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Ego on both sides.

I don't think ego is the descriptor to direct at the police.

Do you think you can "Smart-ass" your way out of a ticket?
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 8:22:10 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ego on both sides.

The LEO should have given him the ticket for parking illegally, without the attitude addendum.
That makes it personal which escalates the situation.
As a cop the last thing you want to do is escalate a situation.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 8:22:33 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
This is exactly the type of church I was speaking about as well.
I take it this sort of thing isn't common in Virginia?

It isn't common anywhere in the US.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 8:26:25 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
C'mon man!

He's not a pastor, he's just tax-free.

gonzo - As a pastor, I pay the exact same taxes as you. I have no "exemption certificate" or anything else that I can whip out. Just my personal billfold. The church I pastor does get tax exemption on purchases. I assume that's because the .gov has ALREADY taxed that money. Nor do I make personal purchases and say they're for the church. Or drive a Caddie that belongs to the church - '95 F150 with 205,000 miles on it last I remember.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 8:29:03 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ego on both sides.

No, but then again, I also can't call the mayor of my city and say "some stupid gumshoe just gave me a ticket; I want his ass" and expect to have it happen...

A few years ago, an NOPD cop pulled over the mayor's limo for making an illeagel u-turn and was dumb enough to give him a ticket.  The cop was in the right, followed all the rules and was perfectly justified in writing the ticket.  He's probably working at McDonald's now, 'cause he sure isn't on the PD any more.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 8:29:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Just fucking apologize already, Wave.  No sense whining about it here.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 8:29:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Let me know the cop's story and then we'll talk.

Should of arrested the punk.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 8:34:19 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
The LEO should have given him the ticket for parking illegally, without the attitude addendum.

I disagree.

The "pastor" made it personal by escalating.
The attitude of special, entitled people, wears very thin and should be called out.

Cop has all rights to say:
"I woulda let you off with a warning, but then you became an asshole, at which point you deserved the ticket." - because its the absolute truth.

And having an opportunity to suck on a little truth...
Is ultimately for the betterment of society.
Next time, maybe the cop won't get handed a handful of shit for trying to do his job.

If "pastor" gets his apology, the example is set that theres no need to respect the police.

You really want that example set? How hard do you want to make a cop's job?

Link Posted: 11/2/2006 9:00:05 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I disagree.

The "pastor" made it personal by escalating.
The attitude of special, entitled people, wears very thin and should be called out.

Cop has all rights to say:
"I woulda let you off with a warning, but then you became an asshole, at which point you deserved the ticket." - because its the absolute truth.

And having an opportunity to suck on a little truth...
Is ultimately for the betterment of society.
Next time, maybe the cop won't get handed a handful of shit for trying to do his job.

If "pastor" gets his apology, the example is set that theres no need to respect the police.

You really want that example set? How hard do you want to make a cop's job?

That's not the right question.  The right question is:

"How much harder do you want to force an officer to work to do his/her job?"
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 9:03:13 AM EDT
[#29]
lol, he's the dean of my college!  With a name like that...
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 9:05:24 AM EDT
[#30]

"Because you showed attitude," the male officer responded, according to Butts.

All cops carry special pens that are voice activated. The more you talk the faster they can write. I can only see one flaw in the officer's action and that was him opening his mouth.

Just write the ticket and say "press hard, four copies".

Link Posted: 11/2/2006 9:15:42 AM EDT
[#31]
I already commented on the original post.

I just wish that the old "tax-free" deal with ministers was the way some of you folks think.

Daddy was a minister for 43 years.  We ate beans and taters out of the garden and generally drove a 20+ year old vehicle and wore hand me downs.  Don't let the Jim Bakers and Jimmy Swaggerts fool you into thinking that is the norm.

I make more a week than the average american church congregation contributes every sunday.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 9:30:56 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I just wish that the old "tax-free" deal with ministers was the way some of you folks think.

Yeah, I understand. A few guys have said this now, and I agree, there are good and honest and decent "Men of God" out there. I really have no problem with them, and I don't mean to paint with a broad brush so as to include those good folks.

In MI, OH, NY, and I'm sure other places too...
we have some things that make you say Hmmm.

I can't help that fact, I was just pointing it out.  I know a real pastor, preacher, etc... would live a hard life, and I respect that. I don't know how some live an incredibly easy life and I find those people hard to respect.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 9:42:23 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, I understand. A few guys have said this now, and I agree, there are good and honest and decent "Men of God" out there. I really have no problem with them, and I don't mean to paint with a broad brush so as to include those good folks.

In MI, OH, NY, and I'm sure other places too...
we have some things that make you say Hmmm.

I can't help that fact, I was just pointing it out.  I know a real pastor, preacher, etc... would live a hard life, and I respect that. I don't know how some live an incredibly easy life and I find those people hard to respect.

Oh yes, there are those out there who do it for no other reason than the power, prestige and $.  Unfortunately just like all other things, those are the ones who get the media coverage.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 9:52:28 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Thank God it was a Hispanic female who wrote the citation and not the white male. They would have hanged him by the neck from the church steeple.

(edited to add: Grammer Nazis, a person is not HUNG by the neck until dead, a person is HANGED by the neck until dead...Look it up!)

<Blazing Saddles ON>
Charlie : "They said you was hung!"

Sherrif Bart: "And they wuz Right!"
<Blazing Saddles OFF>

Link Posted: 11/2/2006 11:34:01 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know this comment is a little off topic, but since we do separate church and government why do churches get any kind of tax exemption?
Where is it written that freedom of worship=freedom from taxation?

Back on topic, it's apparant that this "man of God" is too used to getting his boots licked by the local politicals, which is why he takes such umbrage over a parking ticket.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 11:38:14 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I know this comment is a little off topic, but since we do separate church and government why do churches get any kind of tax exemption?

I don't know....why don't you ask the founding fathers? After all, they are the ones who were in the state and local governments that didn't tax churches.

Perhaps they thought it was a good idea.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 12:05:21 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't know....why don't you ask the founding fathers? After all, they are the ones who were in the state and local governments that didn't tax churches.

To promote the general welfare.  Give a little, get a lot.  Exponential return on investment.

And then a cottage industry sprung up around it.  And now that cottage has become a castle.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 12:17:20 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is it a specifc mandate in the Constitution that churches are free from taxation?
I ask honestly, please direct me to that passage.
I thought once any tax exempt entity became partisan, they lost whatever tax exemption they have.  When I see Democrats campaign in small black southern churches, or Catholics organizing illegal alien rallies, knowing they have tax exempt status makes my blood boil (FWIW I'm Catholic).
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 12:18:21 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

"Because you showed attitude," the male officer responded, according to Butts.

All cops carry special pens that are voice activated. The more you talk the faster they can write. I can only see one flaw in the officer's action and that was him opening his mouth.

Just write the ticket and say "press hard, four copies".

+1
Don't take your cues from John Kerry and think every word that rolls off your lips is important or helpful.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 12:24:38 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
He broke the law and he got caught.

He doesn't rate an apology.

Link Posted: 11/2/2006 12:31:27 PM EDT
[#41]
not wise to give attitude to cops who have too much power to FU your life...  ("too much power" - note that please)
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 12:34:48 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

The police run-in with the Rev. Calvin Butts drew the attention of Mayor Bloomberg, who apologized, and Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly, who promised to look into the Oct. 21 incident.

Butts said the confrontation came moments after he parked his black Cadillac sedan in front of a bus stop near Jimbo's Hamburger Palace around 6 p.m.

While his wife and granddaughter stayed in the car, the minister went into the restaurant to pick up dinner.

But before he had time to get his food, his wife knocked on the restaurant's window to alert him that cops had just pulled up.

Butts said he raced to his car and jokingly told the two officers - a Hispanic woman and a white man - "You guys didn't even let me pay for my food."

The minister moved the car to a legitimate spot, and thought the incident was over.

But as he left the car, he said he noticed the female officer was writing a ticket.

Let's see parked in front of a bus stop. Then moves the car when the police arrice. Then is issued a parking citation.

Hmmm, seems like that is what you would expect to happen. He got caught. That he moved the car when the police arrived didn't change the fact he had been illegally parked.

Nextly, as I understand Mayor Bloomberg's policies, he has pushed for higher fines on citations, and encouraged NYPD to write more citations. Funny, after asking for more citations he folds as soon as someone complains they got a citation. Two faced weasel.

The officer saying "attitude", perhaps the Rev. didn't seem as non-plussed as he claims. Either way, the officer should've kept the comment to themself. If the Rev. asked why he was getting a parking citation, the answer could be "because I just observed your car illegally parked".
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 1:03:29 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
If the Rev. asked why he was getting a parking citation, the answer could be "because I just observed your car illegally parked".

I live in truly frightening times.  I find myself in complete agreement with OLY-M4gery!!!
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 1:59:57 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Am I missing something??? Anything?

Hell yeah!  You're missing the fact that he is buds with the mayor.  Those cops should know better than to give tickets to the mayor's buds, talk about your career limiting moves.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 4:14:45 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Is it a specifc mandate in the Constitution that churches are free from taxation?
I ask honestly, please direct me to that passage.

It isn't in the Constitution...like a lot of other common sense things.

I thought once any tax exempt entity became partisan, they lost whatever tax exemption they have.

Churches cannot be political organizations. They cannot, for instance, raise money for candidates. But they can speak out on issues of import and be active, and that is exactly how the Founders would have things. After all, churches played an important role in our founding.

When I see Democrats campaign in small black southern churches, or Catholics organizing illegal alien rallies, knowing they have tax exempt status makes my blood boil (FWIW I'm Catholic).

Free speech is free speech. I don't think a church should lose its tax exempt status just because Bill Clinton gives a speech there, or because they are on the wrong side of issues in my opinion.

If they talk more politics than they do Jesus, then revoke their tax exemption. Otherwise...
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 4:16:53 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Nextly, as I understand Mayor Bloomberg's policies, he has pushed for higher fines on citations, and encouraged NYPD to write more citations. Funny, after asking for more citations he folds as soon as someone complains they got a citation. Two faced weasel.

Not just "someone". A "someone" with some clout. One of the illuminati of New York society...you know, the ones who are always wanting more laws against ordinary joes but who react like Dracula to a cross at the suggestion that they should obey the laws too??

Link Posted: 11/2/2006 9:00:58 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Am I missing something??? Anything?

Hell yeah!  You're missing the fact that he is buds with the mayor.  Those cops should know better than to give tickets to the mayor's buds, talk about your career limiting moves.

I think that pretty well sums things up...........
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top