Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 7:30:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm all for a flat tax. Too many people around me don't pay a dime of taxes - illegal's who don't file, criminals who's income isn't reported, and yes, the so called "working poor" who get back more then they put in.
View Quote

If you're an illegal alien or a criminal, you don't report your income to the government and so you won't pay any income tax regardless of whether it's progressive, flat or otherwise.
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 7:36:59 PM EDT
[#2]
A link to Dick Armey's flat tax proposal:
[url]http://flattax.house.gov/proposal/flat-sum.asp[/url]

BTW, has anyone calculated what the per capita amount would be if the current US budget were financed by a poll tax?
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 8:02:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
BTW, has anyone calculated what the per capita amount would be if the current US budget were financed by a poll tax?
View Quote

[b][u]Paying your "fair share"[/u]:[/b]

The term "Poll tax" has a very ugly connotation.
A better term would be "[b][blue]Citizen Tax[/blue][/b]", where each and every adult citizen pays the SAME AMOUNT.

There are 175,000,000 adults age 18-65 in the US.
There are 209,000,000 adults age 18+ in the US.
TOTAL Income Tax Revenue is $877,292,000,000.

So that's comes out to...
* $5,013 per adult age 18-65 or...
* $4,198 per adult age 18 and over
Seems to me that [u]THAT[/u] is the "fair share" [u]EVERYONE[/u] should be paying!!
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 8:12:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Y'all folks got me messed up!OK richfolks AND
Poor folks should pay the SAME % in taxes;(say
7%).THAT way everyone would be happy.I make too
much to recieve earned income credit,so I don't
fit in the catagory that some of you have put me in.I have a good job,I pay MY taxes,AND I DON'T BITCH ABOUT IT.
I live in a comfortable house and don't force
my views on others.WHO CARES??It doesn't matter
anyway.The people who work hard and get rich,
MORE POWER TO YA!The people I was refering to earlier are the ones who screw people over for monetary gain.

BTW:If you don't like paying your taxes,quit paying them.Do you think the government could throw the WHOLE country in jail if WE ALL quit paying?
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 8:56:49 PM EDT
[#5]
If some one could please explain the difference between the IRS and the Mafia, I would like to hear it.

And for those who think a flat tax is fair and just, consider this.

The hooker, the pimp, and the dope peddler will still scam out of a flat tax.  But if we had a national sales tax (excluding non essential items such as food and basic clothing) everyone would pay exactly the amount they need to.  We could eliminate the IRS since there would be no tax forms to fill out and save billions of $$$ every year by not having to fund our own hangman's noose.  We would regain our privacy by not flushing our Rights to privacy down the toilet every year when we disclose our income to Big Brother.  We would regain our freedom of choice on how much of our money is given to those who serve us.

Equal protection under the Law went out the window when the Income Tax was illegally forced upon the citizens of this once Noble Country.
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 5:03:01 AM EDT
[#6]
If some one could please explain the difference between the IRS and the Mafia, I would like to hear it.
View Quote

The IRS has more employees and fewer scruples. [;)]

The hooker, the pimp, and the dope peddler will still scam out of a flat tax. But if we had a national sales tax (excluding non essential items such as food and basic clothing) everyone would pay exactly the amount they need to. We could eliminate the IRS since there would be no tax forms to fill out and save billions of $$$ every year by not having to fund our own hangman's noose. We would regain our privacy by not flushing our Rights to privacy down the toilet every year when we disclose our income to Big Brother. We would regain our freedom of choice on how much of our money is given to those who serve us.
View Quote

Do you really think that the hookers and dope peddlers are going to collect taxes on their sales?

We'd be free from the prying eyes of the IRS but we'd wind up with a new set of snoops trying to make sure no one could escape the sales tax by participating in the "black market" (e.g., flea markets and garage sales).

Link Posted: 4/15/2002 6:52:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

The IRS has more employees and fewer scruples. [;)]

The hooker, the pimp, and the dope peddler will still scam out of a flat tax. But if we had a national sales tax (excluding non essential items such as food and basic clothing) everyone would pay exactly the amount they need to. We could eliminate the IRS since there would be no tax forms to fill out and save billions of $$$ every year by not having to fund our own hangman's noose. We would regain our privacy by not flushing our Rights to privacy down the toilet every year when we disclose our income to Big Brother. We would regain our freedom of choice on how much of our money is given to those who serve us.
View Quote

Do you really think that the hookers and dope peddlers are going to collect taxes on their sales?

We'd be free from the prying eyes of the IRS but we'd wind up with a new set of snoops trying to make sure no one could escape the sales tax by participating in the "black market" (e.g., flea markets and garage sales).

View Quote

Actually, the IRS has more judges and politicians on the payroll then the Mafia does.  But the results are just the same.  My money is stolen from me via threats of violence.  "It's time to pay your protection money, Mr. Peacher".

The hooker, the pimp, and the dope peddler will never report their sales, but they and everyone else will pay their "fair share" when they purchase non-essential goods and services.  

Also, it would be in our best interests to force the government to live within the budget generated by the citizens.  Basicly, the government would only get to spend this fiscal year what it received in the previous fiscal year.  The government would have to do what every working person does (or should do), live within it's budget, not vote itself a budget increase by raising taxes.  The tax rate would be determined by popular vote, the same way it is done at the local level.  

Link Posted: 4/15/2002 7:07:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Also, it would be in our best interests to force the government to live within the budget generated by the citizens.  Basicly, the government would only get to spend this fiscal year what it received in the previous fiscal year.  The government would have to do what every working person does (or should do), live within it's budget, not vote itself a budget increase by raising taxes.
View Quote
No, they would just run a huge deficit, then use that deficit as an excuse to raise more taxes "to pay down the deficit".

What's needed is:

1) Repeal 16th Amendment.

2) Implement a National Sales Tax (5-10%) on products and services, excluding food, medical, primary housing sales/rents, and utilities.

3) Requirement of supermajority of both houses (67%) to increase the National Sales Tax.

4) Constitutional amendment requiring a balanced budget UNLESS national emergency is declared by Congress and President.

But I'm not the King so that will never happen.

(Oh yeah, might as well throw in a repeal of the AWB too.)
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 8:11:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Also, it would be in our best interests to force the government to live within the budget generated by the citizens.  Basicly, the government would only get to spend this fiscal year what it received in the previous fiscal year.  The government would have to do what every working person does (or should do), live within it's budget, not vote itself a budget increase by raising taxes.
View Quote
No, they would just run a huge deficit, then use that deficit as an excuse to raise more taxes "to pay down the deficit".

What's needed is:

1) Repeal 16th Amendment.

2) Implement a National Sales Tax (5-10%) on products and services, excluding food, medical, primary housing sales/rents, and utilities.

3) Requirement of supermajority of both houses (67%) to increase the National Sales Tax.

4) Constitutional amendment requiring a balanced budget UNLESS national emergency is declared by Congress and President.

But I'm not the King so that will never happen.

(Oh yeah, might as well throw in a repeal of the AWB too.)
View Quote

We are on the exact same track and moving in the same direction.  Get rid of the property tax and the income tax.  Let us decide how much tax we pay by the amount of income we spend.  If I spend my income on a crate of left handed grendallstendals, then I have made the choice to participate in financing the government.  Also, a national emergency would have to mean just that, a situation where the immediate threat to our nations survival is looking us in the eyeballs.  Not because Bubba, Juan, or Latifa decided to drop out of school, bump uglies, and produce the next generation of welfare leeches.
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 8:51:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Suppose there were a balanced budget amendment.  

1) What keeps Congress and the POTUS from declaring a "national emergency" at will?  (To a politician, not being able to reward your allies with public funds is an emergency. [;)])

2) Who will define the accounting standards used to prevent deficit spending via "creative" financing?

3) If the watchdog specified in #2 determines that the budget is in deficit, how does the government keep running while a new budget is worked out?
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 10:58:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
So that's comes out to...
* $5,013 per adult age 18-65 or...
* $4,198 per adult age 18 and over
Seems to me that [u]THAT[/u] is the "fair share" [u]EVERYONE[/u] should be paying!!
View Quote

Sounds good to me.  In fact, I just sent in a check for ~$4000 to the IRS so this wouldn't affect me at all.  It's the more than $30k that they've already withheld over the past year that pisses me off.  Even better is the almost $2000 in "self employment tax" that they collect.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top