BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 10:58:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 11:08:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Her parents.  My mother paid for the rehearsal dinner and photography.  Have no idea about actual cost.  Probably no more than $2000.  Her aunt did the cake.  Reception was very minimal.

Least they could do considering they bought her brother a car.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 11:28:18 AM EDT
[#3]
We did. Maybe a couple of hundred bucks at the most. Borrowed the parents van and went primitive camping for a couple of days for the honeymoon. Still married to the same woman 22 years later. Long ass years I might add.

I have noticed that all the people I know, who spent  thousands of dollars on the wedding and honeymoon, are all divorced. That tells me something.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 2:06:57 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
If you marry a women whoe insists on a $30,000 dollar wedding, no matter who pays for it, you're gonna have trouble down the road.

Yup!  Your an idiot if you do.  You might as well shoot yourself now and get it over with.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 2:17:06 PM EDT
[#5]
My FIL told us he would give my wife $2K for a last year of school, or $2K for a wedding.  We chose the wedding.  Only spent $1700 of that.

My father in law, the most practical man I've ever met, gave us some pointers.  "Have a 2pm wedding.  By the time it's done, it's too early for dinner and too late for lunch.  You can have cake and punch at the reception."

Most of the expensive parts of the wedding became wedding gifts.  My wife's aunt was a professional photographer, did the pics for us.  Another friend of my MIL did the cake as a gift (and it was very tasty!).  Another friend did the dress--a similar one would have cost us $600 in 1987 money.  Mrs. Limaxray had a friend from high school majoring in horticulture--she did the flowers.  

You've got to be smart about weddings, and remember the real purpose of a wedding--it's not to entertain a bunch of folks, but to make a public statement about your commitment to each other.  

ETA:  Even got lucky on the rings--mine is a $100 plain gold band (not into jewelry), hers cost me $150 to get her grandmother's stone reset.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 3:27:07 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I've had women tell me that you MUST have a rehearsal dinner, a breakfast, all kinds of gifts to various people, that you must fly in and put up any number of guests, etc., etc., to have a "proper" wedding.  And don't get me started about the wedding ceremony or reception!

It shouldn't surprise anyone that these are women who are either divorced or in a loveless marriage to a person they can't stand.

I know of many sucessful marriages that were held in backyards or parks, cost less than $2000 (often MUCH less), and had little of the "official" structure.

"Hollywood-style" weddings are a complete joke most of the time.

-Troy

Agreed...

My Sister's wedding:

Planned to perfection...

She had all the trendy crap you could want at a wedding.....

Little disposable camera's at the tables... Everyone got a gift... yada yada yada..

Nice HUGE party....

So my sister became an "expert" on weddings and belittled my wedding plans...

Poked fun at the inexpensive engagement ring (I only spent a few hundred dollars, it was all I could afford at the time)

Made fun of the department store where my wife did her bridal registry and ranted at the "cheap"
items she picked out.

Made fun of my future wife, and how she was not right for me...

Chided me for not doing enough research, and not planning a proper honeymoon.

I had a small wedding at a banquet hall. My father in law set it up and paid for it. My wife and I were maried by the mayor of the local town.

It was nice, but relatively inexpensive, more for the families involved than anything.

Anyhow...

Less than 1 year later my sister got a divorce...
The little prick cop she married couldnt keep his dick in his pants.
She just remaried ( she shut her pie hole, went down to the Keys and eloped)
I think she learned her lesson...

Over 5 years later, I am still married and deeply in love with my wife.

On a side note...

I am disgusted by the ammount of divorces that I see. It seems everyone I know is getting a divorce. One guy I know..."I didnt know what I was doing man,... and we didnt plan on having the kid" He wants to get a divorce so he can be "free" again...to go screw around.

This absolutely fucking disgusts me. No commitment...No honor... When the going gets a little rough, just get a quicky divorce, and go screw around... its absolutely fucking disgusting...,fucking rotten to the core! It is fucking sad when a married couple cannot depend on one another, cannot trust one another.

You get married, plan to be together...for a long time..for the rest of your life. Not everything in marriage involves instant gratification. Marriage is about commitment and sacrifice. It is about being there for the other person. Marriage is about family. It is a commitment before God.

I'll stop ranting and raving and carying on....
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 4:33:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I paid for it all.I will help 50/50 or more for my kids....3......
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 4:35:13 PM EDT
[#8]
My wife and I paid for it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 4:37:26 PM EDT
[#9]
My father in law, what a cheap ass wedding !! There wasn't even any food at the reception by the time I got done taking pictures and shit at the church.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 4:40:08 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Me, cost $35.  21 years later it is still the best 35 bucks I ever spent.

Same here... 24.00!!! and wasnt it worth it??

No fights within the family of what to put on the table and what to wear and what to do and how the invitations have to look... No pomp and circumstance and se used the money to buy a home... NEXT!
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 5:02:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Wedding was paid by both of us (Florida). Honeymoon was driving crosscountry to Califonia (Texas is one big looong drive). The following month we had a banquet for my side of the family in California. Next December will be 13 years.
We married for better or worst. Could someone please tell me when do we get to the "better" deal?

Regards

ACK

Link Posted: 10/8/2005 5:15:02 PM EDT
[#12]
My Father in law paid for it.

My wife and I didn't want a big wedding, but her parents wanted to invite their rather large family to a nice wedding. We had a beautiful hotel (Hastings Everglades), nice classic limos, beautiful honeymoon suite (Bill Clinton actually stayed in our room a few years earlier when he was still prez), videographer, photographer, probably the only bagpiper in Northern Ireland that knew "The Marines Hymn", violinist, flautist, singer for Church, band for reception, etc. The party carried on in different locations for 3 days.

I married well
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 5:23:32 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Me, cost $35.  21 years later it is still the best 35 bucks I ever spent.

Same here... 24.00!!! and wasnt it worth it??

No fights within the family of what to put on the table and what to wear and what to do and how the invitations have to look... No pomp and circumstance and se used the money to buy a home... NEXT!

Amen Brother,

Here I am happily married 21years later and spending that wedding money on flying lessons, 'aint life grand.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 5:26:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Wife and I paid.  We made all the food trays and the ballroom was free.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 5:28:15 PM EDT
[#15]
I did , her parents thought I was a criminal and hated me. They still do.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 5:39:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Father in law. After the wedding I found out that he offered my wife the cash instead. I would have taken the 28k...

ETA:

Quoted:
I have seen those big 20-30,000 weddings. The marriage rarely out lasts the payment plan.

I dont see how the cost has anything to do with the marriage itself. That is an ignorant response.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 8:52:47 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Whew... I thought it was just us that thought you were a criminal!

now how many years are you married to their daughter? They STILL think that? Time for them to grow up huh?
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 9:14:02 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
My father in law, what a cheap ass wedding !! There wasn't even any food at the reception by the time I got done taking pictures and shit at the church.

That Jerk! He really should have spent more of his money on your wedding.

We were planning on spending quite a bit on a honeymoon, but friends gave us a week in Pompano. Did not suck.

Link Posted: 10/8/2005 9:17:37 PM EDT
[#19]

Her parents did.  That was 14 years ago.  I don't know what it cost, but most of the 500 or so people at the ceremony were at the reception - couldn't have been cheap.  Wife & I didn't really care how fancy the wedding was, but it made her mom happy.  

Link Posted: 10/8/2005 9:42:21 PM EDT
[#20]
My wife and I paid for most of it.

My father-in-law $1500
My wife and I       $5000

Thats it for 250 people and it was very nice.
The wife is very good at finding a bargain.

Church (wife was a member) $250
Three tier cake                       $200
The Moose Lodge here has a banquet hall $500
They have catering also (I am a member)  $1500  FIL paid for this
rehersal dinner (wifes comdo complex club house)  $50  food platters and beer brought in $250???

The rest went to decorations beer gifts etc...

This was a great wedding and very affordable when the bargains are found.

ETA  We spent the money for the honeymoon on a down payment for our house.  I suggest GO on the honeymoon because it will regularly come up in conversation even though it was also her idea.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 10:00:37 PM EDT
[#21]
My wife's parents paid for the wedding, My parents paid for the after rehersal dinner party, and the flowers at the church. Traditional wedding, full Mass. Formal attair and all. It was a sight to see.

I paid for the honeymoon, and bought every house I have ever owned.
My in-laws are big time rich. It was more important to them than us to have a HUGE wedding. Show all their friends how rich they were, and how big a wedding they could afford.
I am not complaining though. I appreciated it very much, and my wife was very happy.
I think every little girls dreams of having a wedding like my wife got to have.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 10:12:42 PM EDT
[#22]
We paid for it; it wasn't a large affair, just enough of the right people to make it a great event.
01 April 1980
M
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 10:16:22 PM EDT
[#23]
I paid for my wedding and my wife's dress. My parents weren't exactly thrilled about it, but they sprang for the honeymoon and photog. My wife's parents chipped in on the honeymoon too.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 10:18:27 PM EDT
[#24]
I paid for my wedding and my wife's dress. My parents weren't exactly thrilled about it, but they sprang for the honeymoon and photog. My wife's parents chipped in on the honeymoon too.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 10:23:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Being that I will probably be getting married in the next two years, gasp, I am hoping that the tradition holds and the father of the bride pays. I am going to be supporting their daughter for next 50 or so years, that is least they can do. I am also holding out for a dowry (sp?).

I can dream. I will probably end up paying. I just hope it is closer to $25.00 than to $30,000!!! Assuming I have kids I would probably at least help with some of the cost their wedding.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 10:24:10 PM EDT
[#26]
i am drunk and just cane back from batchlors party

her parents and it will cost less thasn a FA uzi total cost arounfd 4 k, not bad

my parents are payong the the rehearsewl dinner

soryy cant type drunk

time tpo pass out

BTW marriage on oct 15
only 7 days till death
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 10:32:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Man,  I'm going through the shit right now...

Original Plan: we pay for the SMALL wedding: Close Friends, Close Family..

Plan now:  In-Laws butting in big time.  Huge (by my standards) wedding, they insist to pay but will treat me like I owe them something, it's already started.  My future wife is buying into it big time.  

I don't know what the hell I'm going to do.

Link Posted: 10/8/2005 10:41:30 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Whew... I thought it was just us that thought you were a criminal!

now how many years are you married to their daughter? They STILL think that? Time for them to grow up huh?

7 years now
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 10:50:26 PM EDT
[#29]
My parents paid 90%.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 10:57:12 PM EDT
[#30]
If I were doing it again it would be small and cheap.  My wife watches "Bridezillas" occassionally, and these self-centered stuckup tarts bitch about a $50k wedding someone else is paying for!
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 11:16:39 PM EDT
[#31]
I paid for it . Twelve years ago  and I'm still paying for it
through the nose, out the ass , what ever. Just kiddin'
I STILL LOVE MY WIFE.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 12:52:09 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Father in law. After the wedding I found out that he offered my wife the cash instead. I would have taken the 28k...

ETA:

Quoted:
I have seen those big 20-30,000 weddings. The marriage rarely out lasts the payment plan.

I dont see how the cost has anything to do with the marriage itself. That is an ignorant response.

Not as ignorant as you might think.   A woman who is happy to spend $30K on a party, that frankly only she really cares about; is  very selfish, immature, and irresponsible.  Ie not ready for a meaningful marriage.  Marriage is about sacrifice, and nothing says sacrifice like,  I demand that you throw me a $30k party.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top