Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/19/2009 6:59:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Got my private in 1974. It was one of the finest things I have ever done for myself. Flew Cherokees and Piper Arrows, Cessna 172's, Super Cubs, Decathalons.

Link Posted: 10/19/2009 7:07:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got my ATP and am a CFI as well.  Also have King Air 350/300 and Embraer Phenom 100 type ratings.  I love my job, but being away from home a lot sucks.  My daughter took five steps while I was out on a trip.  My son had also taken his first steps a few years ago while I was gone.  I haven't flown "for fun" in longer than I can remember; had to have been back in '99-'01 at least.  But I absolutely love what I do and can't really think of doing anything else.  
Link Posted: 10/19/2009 7:22:34 PM EDT
[#3]
get it. Expensive ? yes Fun? hell yes Get married and have twins?? Well.I dont fly near as much as I did. But when i took my 2 yr old up the look on his face was worth every penny. Flying is a passion.
Link Posted: 10/19/2009 7:25:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have my private and I own a 40 year old Cessna.

Tail # OPSEC fail (if that is really the tail #...as N92JM shows as reserved by the FAA for a company in Durango, Colorado?)

Any yes, Private Pilot -  Airplane- Single Engine Land -  Instrument Airplane

And it's not a "license", it is a "certificate"..................
Link Posted: 10/19/2009 7:29:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tail # OPSEC fail (if that is really the tail #)..............as N92JM shows as reserved by the FAA for a company in Durango, Colorado?

He ain't standing in Durango, CO...
Link Posted: 10/19/2009 7:33:48 PM EDT
[#6]
PP-ASEL and working on my instrument ticket.

Best thing I ever did for myself.  No regrets.  

If you can, do it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2009 7:35:15 PM EDT
[#7]
ASEL, ASES, Instrument, working on commercial.
Link Posted: 10/19/2009 7:35:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Single engine, land

Same here.
Link Posted: 10/19/2009 7:37:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Have my single engine license, use to have my tailwheel endorsement but I let that lapse.

It's fun but as others have said, expensive.  I would say it's worth it.

Um, your tailwheel endorsement doesn't expire and landings in a tricycle gear plane would count towards your 90 day currency.

Unless you mean it wouldn't be smart to hop straight back into one.
Link Posted: 10/19/2009 7:39:02 PM EDT
[#10]
I soloed a week ago today, it does cost alot of money, but after that solo you dont give a shit and you just want to fly as often as you can. Do it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2009 7:54:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Have my single engine license, use to have my tailwheel endorsement but I let that lapse.

Tailwheel endorsement doesn't lapse.

And its worth every penny! 250 hours since 11/07, 50 in nosewheel and 200 in tailwheel :-D

Link Posted: 10/20/2009 4:05:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tail # OPSEC fail (if that is really the tail #...as N92JM shows as reserved by the FAA for a company in Durango, Colorado?)

As you probably have guessed, I changed the tail number.

Link Posted: 10/20/2009 4:20:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Since 1984 here. Haven't been able to to it much since about 1989, two marriages, two divorces, single father, the whole bit. I did get current back in 2000 though, and added about 15 more hours to my total. Only have about 150 at the moment, and haven't flown since right before 9/11. I found that wives really screw up your aviation plans. Second wife, when I discussed getting back in and getting my commercial and instructor tickets, decreed in her infinite wisdom that age 38 was "too old" to be an instructor. She had different plans for me, so I ejected shortly thereafter.

Things are finally settling down for me, and starting to look up. I may be in the market for a Cherokee 140/180 in the next year or so.
Link Posted: 10/20/2009 4:21:56 AM EDT
[#14]
I am a ticket holder do it! well worth it even if you dont do it for a living.
Link Posted: 10/20/2009 4:38:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
No.  It is very expensive, things are always breaking, seems like you need to update your medical all the time, affordable plane time (SEL 20-30 years old) is still 125/hr wet  (add 70 for instructor) and flying around the pattern isn't too much fun.  Airspace is congested and did I mention it's expensive?

Every 60 months for 3rd class medical for younger guys.  That works out to be about $20/year.

$70 for an instructor?  Who's yours, Rod Machado?!  I charge 35/hr in your plane.

From the FBO:

Instructor rates to be added to all above rates except where noted as dual only.

Flight instruction: $55.00/hr
Tailwheel, aerobatic, multi-engine: $63.00/hr
Ground instruction: $55.00/hr
Customer's Aircraft (Tailwheel, Aerobatic, Multi-Engine & 6 place Single-Engine): $70.00/hr
Link Posted: 10/20/2009 4:45:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/20/2009 4:48:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Single engine land.  I think I left off with 120 hours, was halfway or more done toward my instrument rating.

Yea, it was expensive which is one of the reasons I don't do it anymore.

I'd like to take some helicopter lessons...someday

If you think flying airplanes are expensive, wait till you get bit by the 'copter bug.  

My brother has about 4K of helo time. I have about 100 private. One of these days I'll break down and have my brother help me finish up...

Chris

Link Posted: 10/20/2009 4:51:23 AM EDT
[#18]
ASEL, ASES
tailwheel, hi-perf & complex endorsements
450 hours
built own aircraft & fly it on a regular basis
aircraft flown:
cessna 150, 172 175, 180, 182, 185,206
Piper Super Cruiser on wheels and floats, Super Cub, Tomahawk
Kitfox III
Beech Baron
Piaggio 136 Royal Gull II (Only one left flying in US)
Zlin Savage, both on wheels and amphib floats
Robinson 22 & 44

Expensive, yes, but so is Hookers & Blow.

Oh, and once I was aboard Steve Fossett's Cessna Citation X  

Link Posted: 10/20/2009 4:59:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't.

Just an ATP

But do you still have a job (that involves flying) and if you do - is it a fun job anymore?

Actually, I'm just kidding, but I would like to know....

Yea I do. Major airline.  Is it fun? It's ok. It's a job. I took this job because it was time to leave the .mil and I needed to pay the bills. I was lazy. All I had to do was show up for the interview ( after I got my ATP) .

It isn't like it used to be. I took the job for the money, time off, and retirement.

Now there is no retirement, Took a 44% pay cut, and a lot less time off. Add to that I hate to be away from home and it's far from an ideal job. However I hate being in an office working for some gum shoe asshat and playing politics to get promoted. If I had to do it all again, I would be a cop or something that was not so dependant on an economy that is coming apart. Yea, it's fun to fly. However calling flying a transport category airliner  flying is a stretch of the word, at least compared to what I used to do. I'm not complaining though. Just bitter.

ETA:

I've done some fun stuff flying: shooting missiles, flying with Sean tucker in his Cessna, NVG lights out drug interdiction, low levels at 300 feet and 650 knots, lead 8v missions against an aircraft carrier, but none of the fun stuff happens in an airliner, especially if your married and want to stay that way.
Link Posted: 10/20/2009 5:00:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't.

Just an ATP

But do you still have a job (that involves flying) and if you do - is it a fun job anymore?

Actually, I'm just kidding, but I would like to know....

My brother said out of his group about 20% fly because they love it. The other 80% are there because it is a job. Moving assets/test flights/shuttles/weekends, if the flight is available he takes it. Most guys don't want it so they gladly give him the time.

How much does he love it? He was offered a Maintenance Director job at a 40% increase in pay. He turned it down to fly...He seriously doesn't give a shit about the pay. He truly loves what he does...

Chris

Link Posted: 10/20/2009 5:10:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
CFI-I single/multi-engine land.

Its very worth it. Get your license, buy a small plane. have fun.

PS its expensive fun.

Tell me about it.  Back when I learned, wet time on a 172 was $35/hr, and that was a tach hour.  These days it's more like $100/hr.

and we thought that was expensive.  

Private SEL, Instrument,  PPC1 LSA-R/I
Link Posted: 10/20/2009 5:17:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I have a couple of ratings. Its a good time, expensive, but fun. I only wish I flew more.

If one were to go on your username I would have guessed more than a couple.
Link Posted: 10/20/2009 5:49:16 AM EDT
[#23]
I have a pilot certificate (and other FAA issued certificates) and ratings as well......

It can be expensive if you don't do your home work. Look around at various options. You may be surprised to find out that  there are ways that can reduce the cost of flying.  You might find someone (or and FBO) that will barter aircraft usage of instruction if you have time or skills that they can use.

It has always been worth it to me.....I didn't start out with aviation as a career choice, it kind of chose me. I wanted to fly as a kid for so long.

As my user name suggests, I am eaten up in a bad way with all that is aviation   but it has been an evolutionary event for me

All of that being said, I would not give up my career in aviation (since 1985 in one capacity or another). It has been tough be very rewarding....

Link Posted: 12/19/2009 4:00:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Here is another question that probably cannot be answered...

Is it more cost effective to get a fixed wing or rotary wing certificate?
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 4:15:11 PM EDT
[#25]

I got my private pilot certificate in 1986, it cost me right at $2800. after all was said and done. (That was in Piper Tomahawk N2463K which crashed  last week, 12/12/09, and killed a student and instructor in Ojai, Ca.)
Today it costs about $8000. last time I checked.If you have the money it is very rewarding.

Link Posted: 12/19/2009 4:20:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Here is another question that probably cannot be answered...

Is it more cost effective to get a fixed wing or rotary wing certificate?

That depends.

Do you want to be a fixed wing pilot or a helicopter pilot?  

Link Posted: 12/19/2009 4:42:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No.  It is very expensive, things are always breaking, seems like you need to update your medical all the time, affordable plane time (SEL 20-30 years old) is still 125/hr wet  (add 70 for instructor) and flying around the pattern isn't too much fun.  Airspace is congested and did I mention it's expensive?

Every 60 months for 3rd class medical for younger guys.  That works out to be about $20/year.

$70 for an instructor?  Who's yours, Rod Machado?!  I charge 35/hr in your plane.

From the FBO:

Instructor rates to be added to all above rates except where noted as dual only.

Customer's Aircraft (Tailwheel, Aerobatic, Multi-Engine & 6 place Single-Engine): $70.00/hr

Find another FBO/Flight School.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 4:43:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

From the FBO:

Find another FBO/Flight School.  

Agreed.
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 4:57:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Tag for info.
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 5:03:00 PM EDT
[#30]
ATP Multi, Commercial single instrument, CFI, MEI.  I also started young and my first lesson at 13 was $42 / hour with an instructor.  I don't know how anyone affords to get all of their ratings now only to get a commuter job that pays little.  I stayed corporate and have had the good fortune to fly for good people.  I flew a King Air 200 for 8 years and currently fly a Citation Mustang and a 501.  My true love lies with small airplanes, though, and I have a Cessna 150 and a Luscombe 8F.  I have a lot on a grass strip and my 150 is the only nosewheel plane there.  A T-6, 2 Swifts, 2RV's, a Cessna 120, a clipped wing cub, a Chipmunk, a Taylorcraft, a Pitts, aCessna 180, A super Cub, a 1929 Travel Air, and a Curtiss Robin all live on the strip and I get to fly most of them on occasion.
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 5:10:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Single engine land
Rotorcraft-Helicopter
A&P
IA
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 5:10:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Um, your tailwheel endorsement doesn't expire and landings in a tricycle gear plane would count towards your 90 day currency.

Unless you mean it wouldn't be smart to hop straight back into one.

Aint that the truth,   a buddy purchased a Piper Clipper not to long ago and I had a go in it,  8 years ago was the last time I'd been in a taildragger.  Who needs a centerline,   I want it all and used it.

MEII here,  about 1500tt 150 multi,   wish I could find a job.

FUCK OBAMA.
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 5:27:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Commercial Single/Multi Engine Land w/Instrument.  Solo'd on my 16th in 1984., got my private over the next 2 years in HS.  Left my 141 college 4 years later w/270hrs.  Then got another 1100hrs flying skydivers over the next 4 years.  Somewhere towards the end of that, I lost the passion.  I'm no longer flying...

It's expensive, but also gives you some great feelings of acomplishments:  Soloing, night flying, cross country flights, flying w/the door open ).
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 5:30:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 5:41:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Wow....a lot of us guys here. Way more than I expected.

I'm an airline pilot. ATP

My instructor ratings expired last year.
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 6:00:00 PM EDT
[#36]

Shesh, you people are killing me.  I have been an airplane nut for years and flown R/C airplanes most of my life.  Never gotten around to doing private pilot, wife tells me to just do it, but not many CFIs around.  

Link Posted: 12/19/2009 6:06:09 PM EDT
[#37]
No, I was working on it back in the late '70s as part of the Boy Scouts Aviation Explorer's.  My first 10+hrs of instruction was in a Ryan pt-22. But then I got bit with the car bug.

My Dad is CFI-I, Multi, A&P and owns a C-150 and C-182RG

My sister is a pilot with Alaskan Airlines

But I still don't fly.

Link Posted: 12/19/2009 7:52:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Commercial Single/Multi Engine Land w/Instrument plus CFI, MEI.  Great experience would not trade it for anything in the world as an accomplishment.
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 8:03:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Single engine land, instrument rated.

Had fun learning, spent a buncha money on it.  Great feeling of accomplishment, but too expensive to keep up with it for me.

This But I also did it to get over my fear of heights It did not work But I did it anyway
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 8:06:55 PM EDT
[#40]
I don't have a licence, but I do have about 150 hours so far.
I enjoy flying, wanted to fly since I was a kid, so for me it
was something I had to do.  If you feel that it's something you
want to do then get a few hours of instruction and see if it's for you.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 8:14:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Rarely fly, but used to very often.

Floatplane was the most fun, followed closely by some rotohead work.
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 8:28:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Working on getting it... it's expensive, but very fun.
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 8:36:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Wow....a lot of us guys here. Way more than I expected.

I'm an airline pilot. ATP

My instructor ratings expired last year.

There are tons of Pro-pilots on this board.  We are outnumbered only by IT pukes and Government agents.  

OP, listen up.  If you think it is expensive, then it's probably not worth it.  A lot of people get their licenses, but then drop out of the game because they can't justify the expense.  If you cant fly a few times per month, you will be unsafe.  

Invest $1000 and fly 8 hours with an instructor.  You will know by then if it's "worth" it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 8:46:55 PM EDT
[#44]
I

hate

you

all.
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 9:12:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
DONT DO IT,

you think cops are bad to deal with wait until you meet the FAA / ATC system

get into ultra-lights if your are interested in flying for fun.  Cheaper, much less regulations, same basic concept.

and yes I am a fully rated pilot (ATP) / instructor (MEII) and i have already forgot my first solo, its really not that big of a deal like people make it out to be.

This is exactly what a fried of mine told me several years ago when I got the bug.   Since he was a pilot,  I went by his house to see the plane he was building from scratch and to talk to him about it.   In general, he said what you did and there where just too many regs. and hoops to jump through.  So I dropped it.  This was several years ago, so I can't imagine the hoops today are any less.
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 9:33:40 PM EDT
[#46]
"Worth" is a very subjective term.

When I got my ratings, flying was the only thing I wanted to do.  So the $$$ wasn't a deciding factor, just a logistical problem that needed to be addressed.  If you want to fly bad enough, you'll figure out how to make it happen.

Commercial ASEL
ATP
CFI, CFII, MEI (expired while with airline)
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 9:50:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
DONT DO IT,

you think cops are bad to deal with wait until you meet the FAA / ATC system

get into ultra-lights if your are interested in flying for fun.  Cheaper, much less regulations, same basic concept.

and yes I am a fully rated pilot (ATP) / instructor (MEII) and i have already forgot my first solo, its really not that big of a deal like people make it out to be.

This is exactly what a fried of mine told me several years ago when I got the bug.   Since he was a pilot,  I went by his house to see the plane he was building from scratch and to talk to him about it.   In general, he said what you did and there where just too many regs. and hoops to jump through.  So I dropped it.  This was several years ago, so I can't imagine the hoops today are any less.

Your friend was mis-informed and overly dramatic.  The FAA /ATC system is not scary or unworkable.  Oversight is almost non-existant on the General Aviation side of things.

All you need is Money and a reasonable amount of judgment and self discipline.  

The FAA can be as ignorant as any other governmental agency, but you don't have to "deal with" them much at all if you don't screw up.
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 9:56:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Single engine land.  I eventually had to give it up, I couldn't afford IFR, made it about halfway through.  Let me tell you, the first time you pull off a ILS at a major airport is quite an accomplishment!  Although, your first solo is something that will always stay with you.

But yeah, it is expensive.  I haven't flown in over ten years.  I occasionally think about getting back into it, but I can't justify it money-wise right now.  (I flew in the '90's.  Think I paid 35 an hour, wet.  I don't even want to know how much it is today!)
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 10:17:29 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Single engine land.  I eventually had to give it up, I couldn't afford IFR, made it about halfway through.  Let me tell you, the first time you pull off a ILS at a major airport is quite an accomplishment!  Although, your first solo is something that will always stay with you.

But yeah, it is expensive.  I haven't flown in over ten years.  I occasionally think about getting back into it, but I can't justify it money-wise right now.  (I flew in the '90's.  Think I paid 35 an hour, wet.  I don't even want to know how much it is today!)

I thought instrument training was a blast. I even got to do a couple IMC approaches. On one flight, my instructor and I flew almost 4 hours doing ILS approaches in IMC.

I miss flying, but it is so expensive I just cant justify the expense right now.

Link Posted: 12/20/2009 10:22:06 AM EDT
[#50]
Single/Multi Commercial and I got it just for fun  
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top