Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 4:25:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Had an ATN Gen II, never used it so I sold it.  Apparently didn't learn my lesson, got an AN/PVS4 Gen II, also rarely used it.  Sold it, too bulky and heavy.  It's one of these things that are important to those that have such needs, but just cool for those that don't.

I don't
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 4:27:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Can't afford one
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 4:28:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Where I work, Gen IV sucks...

Work

Work 2

CW
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 4:28:11 PM EDT
[#4]
What's the point?

SGtar15
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 4:31:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Just haven't gotten around to getting one yet. When I run across one for the right money I'll pick one up.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 4:40:31 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't...if Gen IIIs were only $100, I'm sure we'd ALL have 'em.    If I hit the lottery, I'll get one.  I don't expect that to happen anytime soon
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 4:49:34 PM EDT
[#7]
i have one.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 4:52:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 5:01:28 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What's the point?

SGtar15

About what?

If you mean what use do I have I explained it on my original post. Lots of things down here make the lights go out. Nice to be able to see things that don't wnat to be seen.

You have any really good deals on some Gen I, or even II?
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 5:04:18 PM EDT
[#10]
ME....I don't know squat about Night Vision, I wouldn't know where to start....
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 5:05:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 5:15:34 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I know some have Gen IIIs, etc. but who still does not have any form of night vision for their AR15?

I don't have one.

Quoted:
Editted to add: And why? Can't see a need? Not an immediate need.

Can't afford?Haven't priced them

Should I?

Link Posted: 5/6/2004 5:26:16 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I don't have any. No need for it.

Instant Relay.
I don't need a Level III either.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 5:30:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Me. I am trying to sell stuff as we speak just to feed the kids. I will rely on their younger eyesite since it should be better. "Just point Daddy in the right direction kids and keep low!"  
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 5:35:09 PM EDT
[#15]
NVG' suck compared to a thermal imager.

That's what i'd invest in if I were gonna make the jump.......

It's only a matter of time till the switchable imager comes to be.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 5:36:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Don't have/want/need one, and can't afford it anyway.  I thought about getting a laser for it, but in Missouri we can't hunt with lasers.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 5:40:44 PM EDT
[#17]
I had a Gen 1 Russian, one of the $450 ones, a couple of years ago.  Man, it was totally bottom of the barrel but suprisingly I still found it quite useful.  It was an NPZ-75 or something like that.  We get in Night Owl handhelds at the pawnshop sometimes that people bought at Walmart for cheap and they are 100% useless.  I've been thinking about NV again recently because I'm living out in the country now and often at night the dog will bark madly at things beyond my visual range in the dark.

Oh yeah, did I mention that I'm broke as a joke?
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 7:02:12 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Reality check:

How often do we -common guys- go up against bad guys that we can  justify  $3-5,000 NV?

Damn, Ed, with logic like that why would we even bother having a gun in our house to defend ourselves?

If I were in the military it would be needed.I actually had a Gen I in the military ,when that was all that was available.I often did not take it with me because the battery was so heavy.

gen 1 today is MUCH more compact. My model is 25 oz. 2 AA batts are supposed to be good for 200 hours use.

Now that they are compact and need no heavy battery,I am not in a trade where I need it.

and I hope you never do. Better get a good alarm system in the new place-not that you'll need it. Might as well not waste money on smoke detectors, either.

I would not shoot a man before identifying him as a BG,and then, he'll be close enough that I can use my knife or tomahawk.  Right SP10?  

I've seen you at work with a knife. No argument from me

Lets face it.It is an expensive toy most of us DON'T NEED,and therefore there is no need to justify buying one.If you have the money and want one: BUY IT! If not , be happy and don't worry! LAME!

Sorry Ed. I take umbrage with your "logic". I would say lets settle this at 20 paces at NIGHT, but that spear of yours has me worried

Link Posted: 5/6/2004 7:04:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Hey Ed, please remind me where it was I got to look at a Gen III in  a pitch black basement last fall
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 7:11:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Gen 1's aren't terribly impressive i'd rather get a g2 or 3.  But that's just me.  Besides, weapon mounted NV in my state is a crime.  
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 7:15:30 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Me.  But my camcorder has night vision, and I've got a roll of duct tape that's ready to go if need be.

same here, except i would use 100mph tape of course, more high speed
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 7:44:57 PM EDT
[#22]
I NEEEEED night vision.  But I"m like others,  I can't bring myself to buy a GenI when I really really want a GenIII.  I always bitch at myself when I settle.  This brings the money issue into play and it's hard to justify spending 3K on night vision.

Course to a big wussy that's scared of the dark 3K when there is a loud noise outside the tent might be worth it.

Educate me: I heard/read (can't remember) that Gen I's and II"s degrade over time and become useless but Gen III doesn't have this issue. Is this true?  If NOT true I might be more inclined to  buy a I or II.

CBR
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 7:52:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 7:54:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Not me... can't justify the expense.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 7:55:42 PM EDT
[#25]
I don't.

I don't see much I'd use it for, and I can't keep ammo in supply as it is.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 8:06:13 PM EDT
[#26]
me.

can't afford the good stuff
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 8:16:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 8:18:28 PM EDT
[#28]
would be nice. . .but can't afford. . . db
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 8:22:17 PM EDT
[#29]
I had a couple Gen 1 Monoculars that sucked prior to Y2Que?

Would like a headset rather than a weapons mounted scope...Hey Winston, lucky bastage NICE setup...Call me next time you go out playing at night...
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 8:39:47 PM EDT
[#30]
yeah, I'm at work  Since ~7AM. At least I have today(?) off!

I had planned on a turkey hunt tomorrow, OK, THIS morning which means rolling out at 4:30. Ooof. Might get a late start.

Ummmm, last I counted, 2 wasn't QUITE the proper tally. Damn things are breeding like rabbits.....

Signing off...
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 8:40:21 PM EDT
[#31]
I had a Gen 1. Sucked ass, and I sold it.

Frankly, I can't afford a Gen 3 or 4, and when I did have one, I never saw a need for it.

Av.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 8:44:04 PM EDT
[#32]
I don't have one, or a need for one.

It would be cool though
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 8:51:34 PM EDT
[#33]

None here either.

General opinion seems to be that Gen I sucks.  Althought I've heard the AN/PVS-502 was supposed to be pretty good.  But they're hard to find.

Gen II and III are too expensive.

Also, live in the city.  Unless there's a massive power outtage, I should think the ambient light would make it useless.

Link Posted: 5/6/2004 8:59:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Don't have. Can't afford.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 9:01:45 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Can't afford GenIII, anything less is pointless to me.

Have a gen 1, it is worhtless
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 9:25:25 PM EDT
[#36]
I have a Gen I.  PVS-2.  It's worlds better than the Nite Owl shiite but not nearly as good as the latest Gen III stuff, which I have also used.  The unit I have was assembled for me with handpicked parts and a new tube by a buddy of mine.  It also has a 9V battery adapter, so the battery issue is no big deal.  Only thing I am missing is the rubber eyepiece and there is no reticle.  

It's not exactly handy, but nice to have the capability.  I also have an Elcan mount, if I can ever find just a reticle (I'm not even sure what it is supposed to be or how it should work) I am going to make an adapter for it so I can use that to put the PVS-2 on my SPR clone and zero it.

If not, maybe a throw lever STANAG ARMS mount.  I beleive the bottom of the PVS-2 is STANAG pattern.  Then eventually procure one of those russian IR lasers for targeting.  Would then make a servicable night rig from a fixed position.......
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 10:51:52 PM EDT
[#37]
I would rather have one of those X-ray vision glasses they advertised when I was a child.....that actually worked for what it was intended!

Can I get a sideorder of seamonkeys with the the glasses?

Seriously though, I plan on getting some night vision in next couple of years. He who owns the night usually wins the fight.

Link Posted: 5/6/2004 11:01:27 PM EDT
[#38]
I do not, and can not afford it!
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 11:14:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 11:42:02 PM EDT
[#40]
I have some NV goggles, but those are just to scare the cute FBI agent that shows up at my pad to rescue the Senator's daughter from the well I have tossed her into.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 11:50:28 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:
NVG' suck compared to a thermal imager.

That's what i'd invest in if I were gonna make the jump.......

It's only a matter of time till the switchable imager comes to be.

You do know most thermals start at 10k right?

At least then you could say "Switching to thermal!"

Seriously, I'd love to buy some kind of thermal imaging.  That would be sweet.  Basic night vision would be cool too - someday.  I just have other things I need to spend money on.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 12:04:47 AM EDT
[#42]
Can't afford, atm.

I'm busy shoveling vast amounts of money off to my university in hopes of starting a new career.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 2:52:48 AM EDT
[#43]
Are u guys taling about a scope or  goggles? if ur talkin about goggles im in!

Excuse me im from kali
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 3:18:35 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
He who owns the night usually wins the fight.

While I will agree with this in theory, only the right wing wackiest of us will probably have these in the safe already.

With added IR Laser, you are on top. However in this paranoid line I will add, when you fire up IR light, or Laser, and are going up against anything worthy of such, you just became a high dollar bullet magnet, cuz I would guess a formidable foe would be seeing clearly as well.

Advantage is a wash when needed although peace of mind is always priceless.

Do they really denegrate???

Edited for typos!
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 3:20:22 AM EDT
[#45]
I don't have one. I can see perfectly fine in the dark
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 4:07:55 AM EDT
[#46]
me but i want one
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 10:20:56 AM EDT
[#47]
So, can someone break down the prices of all the options discussed so far? Street prices would be nice if known.

CW
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 11:00:19 AM EDT
[#48]
The question is, Steyr... can I get one for a CETME?
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 11:07:31 AM EDT
[#49]
Nope.
They're cool, but what the Hell would I use one for?

I can deal with anything at my house with my Surefire.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 11:11:41 AM EDT
[#50]
It's one of those things I've always thought about getting but just haven't.  Every time I think I will, I just buy another gun (or other expensive "toy") instead...
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top