Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 10:03:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 10:04:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Ford, GM/Chevy, then Dodge. I haven't and will never buy any foreign trucks - even if they are made in the USA - my grandfather that served in WWII would turn over in his grave if I ever did.
My Fords, which one was gas and two were diesel have never left me stranded. Granted, the diesels were expensive on the maintenance side, but never let me down. First diesel had over 300,000 miles on the engine before I traded it in.
My GM truck, which was gas, had transmission issues, broke a couple rocker arms, had head gasket issues, suspension parts sucked/wore out way too fast, left me on the side of the road a few times - wiring short, water pump, rear differential failed, etc. Plus they were bailed out by our wonderful government.
I have had two dodge trucks that were gas, the engines was great, but the transmissions and rear differentials sucked on both of them. Blew up one diff on a road trip! I bought my son a Dodge truck - because that is what he wanted - and he has had issues with the rear diff blowing apart. We have replaced the transfer case three times on that truck.Plus the suspension parts wore out real quick!
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 10:06:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Personal experience - traded my 2012 Wrangler Rubicon in (Sept 2012) for an 09 Tacoma, Double Cab Long Bed TRD Sport/SR5. Bought it with 23,000 miles, just rolled 308,000.

Most of the repairs due to corrosion in upstate NY. Protected me in 2 accidents, only break down was an idler pulley (planned to replace it Friday, seized that Thursday).

I feel like I've gotten my money's worth, and at this point just seeing how far I can take it. For the record I use Mobil 1 EP 5w-30 and Mobil 1 EP filter at 15,000 mile intervals.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 10:06:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I've seen way more fords and rams broke down (actually just saw another one broke down today lol) than I have chevy or GM.

havent seen a Toyota broke down yet either.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 10:32:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Before I look at results.... ARFcom says Toyota. Mostly because they don't know what a pickup is or what it's used for.

3/4-1ton pickups which is what this should be rated on being the best, has my leaning going strongly towards Ford.

ETA: big surprise on the poll..... hahahaha
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 10:46:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 11:00:15 PM EDT
[#7]
2006 Ford Ranger I bought Dec. 27, 2005. It has cost me one battery and one set of Goodyear Silent Armor tires. Best midsize truck ever.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 11:00:26 PM EDT
[#8]
I will never own a Dodge again.

POS
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 11:17:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Toyota. Solid well-made rigs though the mileage is a bit off the reliability and longevity make up for it. I've been drinking the toyo kool-aid since the '70s and it's been good!
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 11:22:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Poll Fail
Correct answer...Nobody
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 11:23:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Full Size: GM/Ford

Compact: Toyota
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:39:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
late 90s early 2000s Toyota couldn't be beat

mid 2000s GM

now Ram, GM, and Ford are all decent.  Toyota sucks balls
View Quote
This is pretty accurate.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:40:45 PM EDT
[#13]
This is a no brainer--Toyota.  They run forever and then run some more.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:41:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Anyone saying anything other than Toyota should lose their voting privileges here.
View Quote
Haha.  Call me when they field anything but half tons and smaller.

How can Toyota or Nissan even be in this poll?  Neither one makes a work truck beyond something with a sales title.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:06:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Surprise surprise. Arfcom leghumps Toyota and very few choose Nissan. I didn't vote for either. But Nissan trucks have way less issues than Toyota trucks. Other than the 04-05 Titan and the radiator/transcooler issue in high mile frontiers/pathfinders/xterras, they have no major issues. Toyota has had everything from frame rusting, to differential issues to suspension issues. But leg humpers will leg hump.

ETA: Just adding my experience is based on 17 years of dealing with both....
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:10:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Anyone saying anything other than Toyota should lose their voting privileges here.
View Quote
Toyota.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:11:46 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm pretty much convinced there ain't a nickles worth of difference in reliability between the brands. They all have their issues and all of them turn out a lemon now and then.

I have owned every brand over the years and never had any major reliability issues that weren't a result of normal wear and tear or owner induced.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:13:27 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm not a brand new truck guy...  But in my range of what I can afford,  my LBZ Duramax is solid with only standard maintenance and wear items.

310,000 now. I'm going to drive it on a 1900 mile trip this winter after I put new tires on it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:16:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Anyone but dodge
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:18:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Honda 
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:21:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Honda 
View Quote
Honda doesn't make a pickup truck. They put a bed on their Odyssey/Pilot platform and call it a truck. It is no different than a unibody Subaru brat or dodge rampage. Just much more reliable
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:25:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Have a Ford 250 now, so far no problems. Had 2016 Nissan diesel, total piece of shit, traded it at a loss.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:27:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I will never own a Dodge again.

POS
View Quote
And I'll only buy a Dodge again.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:31:19 PM EDT
[#24]
View Quote
This reflected my opinion exactly.  Anyone but dodge.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:41:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Toyota Tacoma hands down.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:49:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Fuck GM and all who work for them!  Never shall I own one of their broke down POS made by Hillary supporting fucking douchebag UAW members.  May fuck be upon them for the trash they sell.  Last GM product I owned put me on the roadside at least once a quarter.  I took a loss trading it in with smile for a Nissan.  That has been twenty years ago and since then I have only driven Toyotas or Nissans and have never been left on the side of the road due to mechanical issue.  First poster so didn't nail it in this thread.  Fuck Dodge and Ford too.  I'll point out on the doll where GM touched me, IN THE MOTHERFUCKING WALLET REPEATEDLY!  FUCK GM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
View Quote
I don't believe you. I've owned Chevrolet trucks for over 25 years and not once has any of them "left me on the roadside" much less once a quarter.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:54:01 PM EDT
[#27]
GM builds the best trucks. I don't have a need for a 1/2 ton or smaller pick-up so Toyota and Nissan aren't even what I'd consider a capable truck.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:57:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

How can Toyota or Nissan even be in this poll?  Neither one makes a work truck beyond something with a sales title.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They aren't capable vehicles following the definition of what a truck is used for.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:59:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Based on your lifetime experience, knowledge and assumption.
View Quote
I have never seen a Honda Ridgeline broken down on the side of a road.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:00:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is a Honda Ridgeline even considered a truck though?
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:20:32 PM EDT
[#31]
It is sad that I am considering the new 2018 frontier. I am a chevy guy but with the cylinder shut off I do not want.  I do not want a ford ecoboost. If I get a ford it will be the 3.3 engine. I prefer a simple truck. Dodge is out. Toyota over priced and the new tacos have issues. Gas mileage on the Tundra suck. Now for the rest of the story.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:23:42 PM EDT
[#32]
"Which manufacture makes the most boring truck".
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:26:25 PM EDT
[#33]

Other.... Hudson of course!
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:28:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Its a Minivan IMO, I live not far from where they build both.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:29:39 PM EDT
[#35]
They all break.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:07:25 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
Because no one buys them.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:45:53 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Because no one buys them.
View Quote
Sure see a lot of them out on the road around here.   Dependable and capable of what 95% of what most folks use their "trucks" for.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:00:22 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Sure see a lot of them out on the road around here.   Dependable and capable of what 95% of what most folks use their "trucks" for.
View Quote
I've seen maybe 4 of the new ones in the past 2 months. I notice them because they are ugly as hell.
How do you even know what people use their trucks for? Do you follow them around?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:02:53 AM EDT
[#39]

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:03:31 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Depends on the platform and intended use.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:18:34 AM EDT
[#41]
I sure don't see any Toyotas in constitution or the oilfield, they must be too tough.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:23:55 AM EDT
[#42]
If you're determined enough, you can make any of them last a very long time.  There are  more million mile Dodges Rams on the road than Toyotas and around here 250K mile GM trucks rule the road.  

In my opinion, Toyota has been resting on their laurels and putting out inferior products for at least 10 years.  I used to be a Ford and Toyota fan, just bought a '17 K1500.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:25:28 AM EDT
[#43]
Hard to say, EPA regulations have skewed the field so badly that an engine that was bulletproof in it's previous incarnations may be a POS now.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:26:17 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I sure don't see any Toyotas in constitution or the oilfield, they must be too tough.
View Quote
Probably
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:29:48 AM EDT
[#45]
Toyota by a wide margin.

Coming from a lifelong GM owner and I've driven Fords for work the past decade.

Any of them can be longer lasting than truck used to be outside of some electronic grimlins. Toyota has earned its reliability reputation and anyone who says otherwise is a brand blind.  

My Tundra was more American made than your big three man truck.  A Chinese automaker (Great Wall Motors) is planning on buying Fiat/Chrysler soon.... so there's that to look forward to.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:30:43 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Toyota by far if you include the Tacoma.
View Quote
When it's not rusting
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:31:22 AM EDT
[#47]
Brand loyalty and all that...but it's Toyota.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:39:14 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well I brought home a side by side fridge in mine
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:39:26 AM EDT
[#49]
Only on ARFCom would a truck, that literally rusts in half, be considered more reliable than the others.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:50:30 AM EDT
[#50]
GM

I got rid of every Ford 3/4 & 1 ton truck from my work fleet. I now run only GM and my maintenance costs have dropped like a rock.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top