Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 1:46:07 PM EDT
[#1]
re-enactors and cowboy shooters
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 1:51:19 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Benchrest guys for sure.......5 whole shots in one hour...wow you're really burning up the ammo!

Let's not be hasty. At that rate I could shoot my SA .308 around the clock for 56.667 years. I sort of like the sound of that. I might not be so concerned the supply will dry up.

Craparoo. I just redid the math. Only 56.667 days.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 1:54:19 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The true Nerds are the bolt action/obscure handgun milsurp collectors.  

If you are familiar with all 117 variations of the Mosin-Nagant, you are a Gun Nerd.

If you can spot the outline of Carcani, Enfields, Mausers, Arisakas, MAS, and Steyr straight pulls through the pawn shop window while driving past, you are a Gun Nerd.

If you go to a gun show just so see the lastest shipments of 125-year-old weapons' technology and end up talking about barrel band variations of the Yugoslavian Mausers, you are a Gun Nerd.

Nerds are smart but to most people, terminally uncool.

I am guilty of all the above charges.

GO TO HELL!!!

oh wait you're one too.

The Nerds to me?

Definately the Tapco Mafia.

They get a perfectly good Yugo SKS, put a sidefolding tapco stock, put a 20 dollar laser that grips onto the barrel, and put on a leapers scope over the sight base and call their gun a sniper rifle when you ask them about it at the range.

Now can I sympathize with them?  Of course, I myself at my current financial situation cannot afford a tricked out ACOG killing machine complete with free float railed handguard and every extra add on that can fit.  Not dogging those that "can" but i'm not one and I'm guessing these dorky guys that do this to their SKS or WASRs can't either.  So my problem with them is keep it simple it looks a hell of a lot better, and under real fighting conditions all that tapco crap would break off in a heartbeat.

But I do for the same reason, think guys that do the above mentioned to ARs for no reason other than to feel authentic are "nerds" as well
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 2:37:25 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

If you are familiar with all 117 variations of the Mosin-Nagant, you are a Gun Nerd.

If you can spot the outline of Carcani, Enfields, Mausers, Arisakas, MAS, and Steyr straight pulls through the pawn shop window while driving past, you are a Gun Nerd.

If you go to a gun show just so see the lastest shipments of 125-year-old weapons' technology and end up talking about barrel band variations of the Yugoslavian Mausers, you are a Gun Nerd.

Damn, I'm a nerd.

Hey, I need a type 1 front barrel band, recessed head, for a 1916 Peter the Great.  Must be Tula marked, and no protruding head.  Can you hook a brother up?
I'm short a couple 91 handgaurds, Russian, and the brass shims would be a plus...

Larry
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 3:11:02 PM EDT
[#5]
The high power shooters are definately the "athletes" of the shooting world.  Camp Perry is like the world series, the super bowl, and the final four all rolled up into one

IMHO
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 3:12:02 PM EDT
[#6]
5 poll options don't work!!!!!!!!

Benchrest would prob. be the nerds....cowboy is just teh ghey!
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 3:13:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Cowboy shooters.

Edit the Cowboy shooters can be classified as dorks.  I am sorry

Benchrest would be the nerds as in "being the smart ones"
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 3:15:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Members of firearm-related forums, especially those that wonder about who the nerds of the shooting community are.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 3:20:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Benchresters will figure out how to get the last bit of accuracy out of anything.

Much like the ghey guy on revenge of the nerds with the javelin.

They come up with some neat gadgets and keep meticulous records.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:13:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Definately the ultra nerdy benchrest shooters.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:46:13 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
5 poll options don't work!!!!!!!!

Yeah, I noticed it doesn't add up. WTF???
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:51:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Fudds/BR
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:51:48 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
cowboy shooters practicing "quick draw" like they think they are "Josey Wales" or something?

Hell I do this, and I dont even shoot cowboy action.

I would have to say Benchrest probably, but the ones I know shoot everything else to, ar's, ak's you name it.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:54:26 PM EDT
[#14]
After thinking about it for ten or fifteen seconds, yes, it's the benchresters. It's all scientific with them.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:00:13 PM EDT
[#15]
The Asian software engineers who only shoot and own H&K weapons.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:50:31 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
After thinking about it for ten or fifteen seconds, yes, it's the benchresters. It's all scientific with them.

Yeah, sometimes they don't even hold the weapon.  They pull the trigger with the tip of their finger and let it "free recoil".  That's a real practical shooting position there.  
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:09:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Most definately the rail gun guys followed closely by the bench shooters.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:14:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Most of the civil war reeactors i have met have been very very odd people  but hey whatever floats your boat

hardcore cowboy shooters a distant  second

I personally Im not into dress up  
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:16:41 PM EDT
[#19]
i voted clays, and am suprised at such a low total.  the clay guys who hang out at my range seem to care about little else.  they have their $10k beretta O/U, and that's all they own or do.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:19:16 PM EDT
[#20]

I'd have to compare Cowboy Action to opening night at a Star Wars showing.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:24:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Small bore position shooters hold that position firmly and are unlikely to ever give it up, although the cowboy action folks and the flintlock-only-in-1780's-garb are strong contenders.

Most shooters mentioned are just shooters, and many participate in several aspects, including hunting, plinking with their kids, and shooting EBR's.

And there is a i r s o f t  for the truly tactical.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:30:48 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Small bore position shooters hold that position firmly and are unlikely to ever give it up, although the cowboy action folks and the flintlock-only-in-1780's-garb are strong contenders.

Most shooters mentioned are just shooters, and many participate in several aspects, including hunting, plinking with their kids, and shooting EBR's.

And there is a i r s o f t  for the truly tactical.

+1
+100 about the Smallbore shooters....
ISSF
A spotters guide....
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:49:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Benchrest are the most anal, low sense of humor, and pushy mutherfuckers I have ever met... Clays get the award for worst "safety" pratice of anyone... HOLY SHIT they break pretty much every rule.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:52:02 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
If the shooting world were a high school:

the "Fudds" would be the jocks:  big, dumb, not good for much, but popular.

the "Clays" would be the yuppie, preppy, tennis and summers in the Hamptons rich kids.

the "Period Military" would be the theatre/thespian/school musical types.

the "Cowboys" would be like the farm kids.

and the "Benchresters" are definitely the nerds.

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:54:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Definitely benchrest.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:58:50 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I'm guilty! [cry]
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:59:04 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Great point!
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:01:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Benchrest are the nerds... precision and detail that screams pocket protector

Fudds are dorks.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:16:05 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Benchrest.

+1  - Pocket protector types, worrying about millimeters

Yep. Pissing and moaning when their group size has massively increased by .003".

When you realize those 0.003" not only cost you a win, they bump you out of the top 3 winning slots, you might understand the issue.

.....and those pocket-protector types don't worry about millimeters; its much closer to micrometers.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 1:29:06 PM EDT
[#30]
People with $10k space-gun single shot 22s and take a week to shoot 10 rounds of ammo.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 1:34:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Brenchrest shooters.

They have to check the target after everyshot, they are reloaders so they are there to test out a new load....which is always as good as afactory load.

They take up two benches at the range. One for the rifle, the other bench has a spoting scope, glasses, cleaning kit, shells, sunscreen, log book, targets, range bag, gun case..........etc.

Worst of all they are in their own little zone and they do not talk to anyone else, and they want to check the targets when others are still shooting.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 1:47:50 PM EDT
[#32]
EBR guys are the kids who smoke behind the school between every class and shoot pool at the bar during their lunch break.

OH wait a minute... I just described my high school career...
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 3:11:08 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
those voting for the benchresters I can understand.

HOWEVER,
the geeks that play dress-up and take on different personas complete with names, etc. are in a league by themselves.  (cowboy action shooters to be specific)

Having met some of them, I can safely say that not a bigger group of mega-dorks exists.

edited for dork specification

Yep, they are the LARP nerds of the shooting world.

Cowboy Action Shooting falls somewhere between cosplay and furries, as far as nerddom goes.

Benchrest is just kind of geeky?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top