Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 2:21:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I've run the BFG's once, hated them. I ran the Goodyear's once, two of them "broke". I only use Yokahama tires now, At's on my truck and VR's my cars.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 5:26:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I didnt see anyone else mention these, but I run Pro Comp All-Terrains on my Toyota PU. They stick to slickrock about as well as the BFG ATs that my friends have had, they also seem to do well in the mud I have delt with (quite a bit of alkali desert clay here in Utah). I think the BFG's tend to wear faster, but the softer rubber grips better (maybe) in the rocks. The Pro Comp AT isn't as aggressive looking as the BFG AT, but seems to be just as effective in my experience. PLUS it has a 50k mileage warranty...BFG dosnt

I drive a lot of highway miles, and I drive a lot of dirt/gravel desert roads (think 400+ miles of dirt in one camping trip to the desert), with about 15-20% of the milage being serious jeep trails, mountain trails, hunting trips, etc... and some trips to Moab. The Pro Comp AT seemed to fit my needs... give 'em a look.

If you go to a MT... look at the Pro Comp MT Also, friend has those and loves 'em.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 5:46:55 PM EDT
[#3]
ATs will ball up in the mud around here.  Somebody else want to confirm that ATs ball up pretty easily?
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 9:00:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for all the posts guys, I will pick my poison tomorrow!
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 3:00:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Hey, before you buy them, pick up a truck magazine and look at the prices, you can save alot in some cases.

-DEERSNIPER
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 3:28:51 AM EDT
[#6]
I had the BFG A/T ko and was very happy with them.  They were more than enough for the limits of my vehicle.  I took it places I never thought I could with those tires.

My buddy is big into the 4-wheeling and likes Super Swampers quite a bit.  BUt I think the BFGs are a good compromise for a daily driver.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 3:35:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Goodyear!

Link Posted: 11/22/2003 4:31:30 AM EDT
[#8]
My grandfather was a Goodyear dealer for 40 years.  I had several different types of Goodyear at/offroad tires on my trucks over years, and none of them lasted much over 30,000 miles.  In 2001 I bought a set of BFG AT-KO's and they lasted me till a week ago.  I put 63,000 miles on them and they still had tread on them.  I'm hoping my new set of BFGoodrich last me as long.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 5:04:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Another vote for the BFG AT KO.

Great on the highway, and takes corners great as well.

Had them on a Toyota I used to have. Had it in seriously deep snow drifts, some slightly soupy mud, and had to drive on a road that was a solid thick sheet of ice for two weeks.

Never had any problems.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 5:36:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Firestone killed alot of people with their "Wilderness" tires in recent years. The biggest tire recall in history and only because they ignored the problem for as long as possible, until it couldn't be ignored any longer. Ya it was only for a short period of time that they produced these death traps but they knew about it and let people keep dying. They make alot of tires in a short period of time too.  I don't care if they've fixed the problem, the fact that customers lives didn't matter to them says alot. We're not talking isolated incidents here. Fuck Firestone, I'll never forgive or forget.
Pro-comp X's, Goodyear MTR's and some Yokahoma tires scored tops in 4x4 magazine's review of a bunch of popular tires. Goodrich All terrains and KO's scored high in the street tires catagory but the treads clog easily, they don't bulge well when aired down and the sidewalls are susceptable to penetration off road. The four catagories were: street, mud, rock crawling and sand.  I don't have the mag here now but will be buying the Pro-comps in 35" x 16" x 12.5" for my truck. They scored well in every area. I'm not an expert on tire evaluation but they are.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 9:29:27 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Based on the fact that you are complaining that they don't look aggresive enough, I'm guessing you've never owned a truck with "aggressive" tires before have you?
If you ride on the highway for more than 10 miles at a stretch, or ever think you might, those cool looking tires will make you aboslutely bonkers with road noise.

BFG mudders come to my mind with that post.

I've got BFG M/T KO's on my 03 Discovery with 22k miles on them. Very quiet tire, but all the traction you could ask for. Haven't tried them in the snow yet, but they are the best I've had in 30 yrs of 4 wheeling in mud, rocks and loose dirt. I'm thrilled with the +20k mileage; was expecting only 10-15k. They look like they have another 10k left on them. BFG really hit the nail on the head with the new tread design, traction with quiet operation and long life. Get the BFG MT's!

CW

Here is the tire you want.  20k miles, I would be pissed if that is all I thought I would get.  I now have 70K+ miles on my set.  They are only worn 1/2 way.  I expect to get well over 100k out of this pair.  I got 85k on the last pair but I didn't get an alignment for over a year and f'ed them up.  Awsome in mud and snow.  Didn't get stuck once last year in the bigsnow.  And I was driving around throughout the storm taking care of properties.

They are stronger and more durable than BFG and GY in IMHO.  They run smooth and quite and will handle anything in MD from mud snow and sand.

COOPER DISCOVERER LT
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 7:28:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 7:55:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Good luck.

Again, I hope you stay away from the Goodyear bastards.

They carpet bomb the market with SHIT and hope you won't have the nuts to deal with them after the fact.

They assrape good American workers in the name of corporate image.

JMO.

Fuck Goobyear.

Link Posted: 11/22/2003 8:08:01 PM EDT
[#14]
I like the Dunlops.  I had the Dunlop Radial Rover RVs and they lasted longer than anything else and were basically quiet on the road.  There is a difference between the Rover RT and the Radial Rover.  BFG didn't last long, and I do not like Firestone at all.  And lastly, Consumer Reports rated the Dunlops higher than the others (a few years ago anyway).
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top