Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 11:29:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Tikka .308
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 11:51:50 PM EDT
[#2]
As others have said, M1 Garand. Of all the guns I got to shoot in the military and from at various civilian ranges, nothing is more fun to shoot than an M1.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:11:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Garands are great until you bend an op rod from using hunting ammo...   With the advent of the factory Hornady M1 Garand load A-Max bullets this is taken care of but at the cost of ~$30 a box.    Also scoping a Garand is expensive and a pain in the ass.   Iron sights are all fine and dandy in an open field and sunshine, but in the dense forest at any distance in low light and you can forget alot of the shots which present themselves.  The last deer I shot was well over 75 yds in dense brush.  I could see large brown movement with my naked eye and iron sights but until I looked through the scope I could not verify that it was a deer.  I ended up shooting it in the face because that is all I could see clearly.  Forget about doing that with iron sights.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:14:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Between a Savage and a Remington, I'd pick the Remington.

Savage makes a great gun, and I love the accutrigger.  Eventually, I'll get a nice savage for a project gun.

However, my vote is for the 700.  It's a very solid action that is easy to upgrade.  You will have lots of options for stocks, bases, triggers, bottom metal, ect.  I own 3.

What model 700 are you talking about?  Personally, I'd pick up a used 700 SPS, then swap out the stock and trigger (if you hate the x-mark).  You should be able to find one for under $450 used, or $500-550 new.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:23:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Have you looked at the CZ bolt actions?

I came here just to say this.  CZ's 550 is just what you're looking for.  Better trigger than either rifle in your poll, to boot.  My CZ 527 is a scary accurate rifle.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:26:41 AM EDT
[#6]
A primary hunting rifle is like a daily driver car.  Keep it simple and have something that works good enough every time.   Just leave it alone and use it.  The only whitetail buck bigger than 200 lbs that I ever shot was with a pawn shop $125 Savage .30-06 with a beat up wooden stock.   I used a Simmons Blazer 3-9x40 scope I picked up at Wal Mart for $25 on sale.  I killed the deer at around 220 yds and it did not complain a bit that I killed it with a boring plain Jane cheap gun.    I normally advocate putting quality optics on a hunting rifle, but at the time, that is what I decided to use that day.  I had bought the rifle to trade up with it and did so after hunting season for a nicer rifle.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:42:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You might want to look for a used Husqvarna 640.  These are built on FN 98 Mauser actions.  They are beautiful rifles and they feature controlled round feeding.   Parts abound and these rifles are extremely accurate.

I have two in .30-06 caliber and they both shoot sub MOA with handloads.

Lots of these rifles came to North America from Sweden and you should be able to find one if you look around.

Fluffy

I vote for this.  Decent ones can be had for fairly low prices, too.  There's a site that has a bunch of them but it escapes me right now.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:44:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I came here just to say this.  CZ's 550 is just what you're looking for.  Better trigger than either rifle in your poll, to boot.  My CZ 527 is a scary accurate rifle.

CZs are nice, too.  Too bad they aren't made with the pop-up aperture sight anymore.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:46:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Garand..... killing zombies for the last 70 years.

The first post wins and is as cheap as your lower cost option.

First post loses.  Heavier, no optics,  clip capacity probably restricted by Illinois law,  (Is semi-auto even allowed up there? )

He's deer hunting.  One MAYBE two rounds. He's not landing on Iwo Jima.

I prefer to make military arms into hunting and sporting arms by non-permanently modifying them for that use. I find its easier to make a martial arm suitable for hunting than compared to making a hunting rifle a martial arm.

I personally prefer military actions in general.  They seem to be much sturdier and smoother than most of their commercial counterparts.  Some military rifles, like the No. 5 Lee-Enfield, are gtg for sporting use as-is.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:50:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Get the savage. When you buy Remington you pay more just because it's a Remington. Savage is a great gun with 1 of the best triggers bar none (accu-trigger). Get your self a Nikon monarch scope and start shooting.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 2:21:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

First post loses.  Heavier, no optics,  clip capacity probably restricted by Illinois law,  (Is semi-auto even allowed up there? )

Add a scout-mount handguard with a long eye relief scope and a handful of 5-round clips. Man up and hoist it. Is IL one of the benighted states that doesn't allow semiautomatic arms for hunting?
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 2:21:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This 30.06.

ETA: Partial to 700s.  I have two 700s, one in .223 and one in .308, love them both.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 2:33:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Niether.  If it were me, I would look at Tikka T3, Winchester M70, or Browning A-Bolt.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 2:52:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You might want to look for a used Husqvarna 640.  These are built on FN 98 Mauser actions.  They are beautiful rifles and they feature controlled round feeding.   Parts abound and these rifles are extremely accurate.

I have two in .30-06 caliber and they both shoot sub MOA with handloads.

Lots of these rifles came to North America from Sweden and you should be able to find one if you look around.

Fluffy

I vote for this.  Decent ones can be had for fairly low prices, too.  There's a site that has a bunch of them but it escapes me right now.

http://www.757arms.com

Here's one of their rifles from their website.  I believe the price is $375.

And just for fun, here's my .30-06 Husqvarna 640 that I picked up from Trade Ex Canada:

And here's the one that I picked up at a local gun and snow shovel show:

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 2:59:33 AM EDT
[#15]
I got a 700BDL at a discount store many years ago.

Some of you may have seen pictures of my Garand collection so you know my passion for these.

That said, the 700 has been one of the most accurate and dependable rifles I have ever owned. I have a 3X9 quality scope on it and I have shot many deer in all kinds of weather. The rifle shoots ragged hole groups at 200yds with basic Remington Express Core-Lokt Rifle Ammunition. (150gr) and I never need to shoot anything else.

30.06 hunting ammo is very easy to find and Remington 150gr is on the shelf most places.

I can pick up almost any of my Garands and hit a mayonaise lid at 100yds iron sites without fuss but I always grab the 700 when hunting.

If I was going to war, I would grab one of my fancy M14's for capacity but I actually prefer the feel of the Garand.

Get all three!

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 3:24:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Which one should i get?
M-1 Garand.

Please explain yourdecision.
It kicks more ass than the other two combined.  
It pings.
Walt Kowalski endorses it.  
General Patton endorses it.  
It pings.  
It rains down 8 rounds of unmitigated hell upon an enemy faster than you can work your bolt.
It won World War II.
Everybody's grandfather endorses it.
It is THE classic American service rifle.
It's a genuine piece of American military history.

It pings when it's hungry for more food. The rifles you mentioned don't do that.

The choice is more than obvious.

I have a Win. M70, and I'm gonna say get the Garand.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 4:29:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a 550FS in 6.5x55.  I am very happy with it.     I would not hesitate to buy another ( actually I did, I  got a 452 I picked up a few weeks ago hopefully will get to try it out Monday and a 527 carbine in a 7.62x39 which I am picking up in 10 days. )    

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 4:47:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

First post again!
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 5:06:14 AM EDT
[#19]
M1 Garand FTW...  The rifle that saved the world.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 5:08:56 AM EDT
[#20]
You should be able to find a Remington 700 ADL, possibly with the laminated stock (which will be a great stock once you free-float it) for under $500 at Wal-Mart.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 5:24:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Looking at those Husqvarnas...  Damn it...  I know where the next spare $350 is going...
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:06:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Looking at those Husqvarnas...  Damn it...  I know where the next spare $350 is going...

Deer hunting with a chainsaw

That's pretty badass
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 8:40:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Here's another Husqvarna picture for you....

And here's a picture I took that day I got home from the Gun and Snow Shovel Show.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 8:42:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Get the Savage, it is cheaper. Both are good guns.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 8:49:04 AM EDT
[#25]
POW-POW-POW-POW-POW-POW-POW-POW-CHING!

Think about it.....

Ok in reality both the savage and 700 are great rifles.  I personally have a 700 for deer.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 8:59:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Is there any reason you've limited yourself to just Savage and Remington?

There a lot more bolt actions out there.  I have an old Ruger 77 that I really like.  My uncle carries a Winchester 70 that he bought new in 1961 or so, it still shoots great.  The Husqvarna guns posted above certainly look like they're worth considering.

My father just bought a Tikka T3 in 7mm-08 and he can stop talking about how nice it is.

I guess what I'm saying is that you should spend some time in gun shops looking at your options.  Deer season is months away, there's no need to rush out and buy something without doing your homework.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 9:02:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Which one should i get?
M-1 Garand.

Please explain yourdecision.
It kicks more ass than the other two combined.  
It pings.
Walt Kowalski endorses it.  
General Patton endorses it.  
It pings.  
It rains down 8 rounds of unmitigated hell upon an enemy faster than you can work your bolt.
It won World War II.
Everybody's grandfather endorses it.
It is THE classic American service rifle.
It's a genuine piece of American military history.

It pings when it's hungry for more food. The rifles you mentioned don't do that.

The choice is more than obvious.

Couldn't have said it better myself.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 9:03:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But he could.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 10:44:02 AM EDT
[#29]

I just got another Husqvarna in the mail today from Trade Ex.  Unfortunately, this gun is my buddy's gun.  He does not really deserve it, but it is his nonetheless.  It is a Husqvarna 640 in 8mm Mauser caliber.

It cost $441 including taxes and dog sled fees.  Here it is:

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 11:49:02 AM EDT
[#30]
I have a Howa 1500 in stainless with synthetic stock.  Picked it up used in "like new" condition for $299.  It is a sweet rifle with a fantastic trigger.

AV1611 out.....
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 11:50:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I prefer to make military arms into hunting and sporting arms by non-permanently modifying them for that use. I find its easier to make a martial arm suitable for hunting than compared to making a hunting rifle a martial arm.

I personally prefer military actions in general.  They seem to be much sturdier and smoother than most of their commercial counterparts.  Some military rifles, like the No. 5 Lee-Enfield, are gtg for sporting use as-is.

Another excellent point.

Military arms are made for repeated action and abuse. Most sporting rifles are made for less usage and are not as sturdy as you've said.

As mentioned by someone else, Garand's can take a machined rail upper forearm replacement to allow a LER/pistol scope or a red dot optic for low light hunting. It sure looks odd but its non-permanent and increases the function of the rifle.... Function > Fashion in firearms.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 11:57:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Garands are great until you bend an op rod from using hunting ammo...   With the advent of the factory Hornady M1 Garand load A-Max bullets this is taken care of but at the cost of ~$30 a box.    Also scoping a Garand is expensive and a pain in the ass.   Iron sights are all fine and dandy in an open field and sunshine, but in the dense forest at any distance in low light and you can forget alot of the shots which present themselves.  The last deer I shot was well over 75 yds in dense brush.  I could see large brown movement with my naked eye and iron sights but until I looked through the scope I could not verify that it was a deer.  I ended up shooting it in the face because that is all I could see clearly.  Forget about doing that with iron sights.

Schuster adjustable gas plug for M1 Garand $40 from Brownells

with a Amega Scout mount for the Garand http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=24756/Product/MINI_SCOUT_MOUNT

If you have an 03 FFL and send a copy to Brownells you get the dealer discount and save a good chunk of change.

None of the above is a permanent mod to the Garand so you are not losing money by "bubba-ing" the rifle.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top