User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 6:29:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Perhaps it utilizes some of the same muscle groups as those required to hang onto a tree branch.

damn
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 6:48:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The first time I saw it done was in the '70s, in an article on  Israeli tactical training.

I cannot remember the exact reason the technique was taught, but it wasn't a being taught as a technique to be " normally" employed.  It was something around a better way to rack the slide, or extreme close quarters, or  maybe even as a way to quickly chamber a single round into an empty pistol (as previously noted).  

These were still photos in a magazine, so the context of what happened just before and after the picture was snapped was missing, whereas in a video it would have been apparent.  

The first time I saw it done in a movie (in the '80s) I remember thinking "that's an improper employment of that Israeli training I saw several years ago".

I know an older Israeli who served probably in the 70's. He still draws and brings the gun into his work space and his free hand on the slide as if to work the action. He does carry with a round in the chamber and he doesn't jack a live one on to the ground, but I guess that is how he was taught and muscle memory is no joke. He is a very good shot and even with this extra hitch in his draw, he is still much faster than me.

Link Posted: 9/16/2010 6:55:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Perhaps it utilizes some of the same muscle groups as those required to hang onto a tree branch.

damn

Winner.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 7:55:50 AM EDT
[#4]

Hank Williams Jr.

after spitting beechnut in that dude's eye

Link Posted: 9/16/2010 8:22:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The first time I saw it done was in the '70s, in an article on  Israeli tactical training.

I cannot remember the exact reason the technique was taught, but it wasn't a being taught as a technique to be " normally" employed.  It was something around a better way to rack the slide, or extreme close quarters, or  maybe even as a way to quickly chamber a single round into an empty pistol (as previously noted).  

These were still photos in a magazine, so the context of what happened just before and after the picture was snapped was missing, whereas in a video it would have been apparent.  

The first time I saw it done in a movie (in the '80s) I remember thinking "that's an improper employment of that Israeli training I saw several years ago".

I know an older Israeli who served probably in the 70's. He still draws and brings the gun into his work space and his free hand on the slide as if to work the action. He does carry with a round in the chamber and he doesn't jack a live one on to the ground, but I guess that is how he was taught and muscle memory is no joke. He is a very good shot and even with this extra hitch in his draw, he is still much faster than me.

The Israeli trained with empty chambers in semi-autos because it simplified training. When the country was new, they bought guns from everywhere. Safeties operated differently, some flip up, some down, and some were hammer drop safeties, others were not.  Guns were also SA/DA. To reduce confusion and to make training easier, they just taught the recruits to ignore the safeties and carry empty chamber. Then operate the slide when you wanted to fire.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top