Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:42:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
last one at my workplace was a perfectly good employee fired to make room for a member of the boss's church / boss's friend. the given reason was "late for work three times in a row". this is at a place where everyone is salaried and wanders in between 7:30 and 9:00. He was singled out and told he had to be in by 8:00 every day and canned after his third miss (where he came in at 8:03).

wtf.

He could talk to a lawyer if he wanted to.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:43:35 PM EDT
[#2]
The headhunting took place for the most part a decade ago, long before things got tight in the economy. The head guy wanted to get rid of everyone and install yes men. He found out that his yes men didn't like his ways either.

His last attempt to can someone was unsuccessful despite him trying for ten months to can the guy on BS stuff, and the attempt only ended when he was voted out of office.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:46:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Failing random drug tests.  (two males, one female)
Repeatedly sleeping in the "cube" when supposed to be working.  (one male)
Watching pron over the company internet.  (male, general manager)
Showing up drunk and wrecking three cars in the parking lot while trying to park.  (one female)
Running a personal Ebay distribution center using the company shipping department from the "cube",  (male)

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:46:26 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

The last firing was for throwing a death metal concert in the bosses basement while he was out of town.  

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:49:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Last 5 would be:

1 - Personality clash with a "Director" led to being first for "downsizing". Was a good guy and found a job with one month of his severance still to go. Lesson: the nail that sticks up gets hammered down.

2 - Above-mentioned director wanted to set up a pet project in India. Thought he could get 3 for 1. Turns out the quality is shit and you can't retain most, as unless you're Google or Microsoft, and run a security sweep of your thieving employees hourly, it's a net loss.

3 - Above-mentioned director wanted to set up a pet project in India.

4 - Above-mentioned director wanted to set up a pet project in India.

5 - Admin assistant who should have been kept, but the "Director" thinks its more efficient to have people that cost $50+ an hour doing their own travel arrangements on Expedia and take care of office needs on their own time (which we don't)

"Director" is dick.

"Director" is now a Vice President.

lesson learned: Figure out quick which dick to suck, because sucking the wrong one involves the same shame, and no reward.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:50:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The crazy part is it is still hard as hell to even hire anyone decent. Getting a bit jaded, the available workforce seems to suck more than the job market.

You ain't kidding!

My company merged with another in late summer and we moved into their office (better facilities) in late October. One woman in my department quit just before the move - I think it was due to the longer drive. We had two other people quit because their drive was going to be horrendous. Anyway, we've been trying to replace this one woman since mid-November. My company is going through a recruiter, aside from personal recommendations of current employees or those we know in the business. There has been ONE second interview set up (for next week).

From what I hear, the candidates all have good experience, but are simply a bunch of toads. Plus, they all seem to be a bunch of limp noodles - no backbone. Such a person would get eaten alive in my department. We're not a bunch of meanies, but we're an intense group that also has a lot of fun and if you can't stand up for yourself, you'll just get steamrolled.

On the doing crazy stuff, I'm seeing at least one person who has a problem with getting to work on time. They've worked with her and put her on a one-hour later starting time (we have people who work 8-5, some 7-3, some 9-6) and it still isn't helping all that much.

ETA: Before the several people who quit due to longer commutes with office move, we had three people laid off due to merger - they would have been "duplicates."

Most of the people let go at my company in my time there (a little more than five years) have been to downsizing - this since late 2007. I do a damned good job and I'm the reason several large customers have remained with or come back to us. There have been a few fires due to incompetence, repeatedly coming in late, etc., but it's mostly been downsizing.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:51:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I was hurt on the Job
They sent me to the Company Recommended Orthopedic Surgeon ( I will Refer to him as the Idiot) .  The Idiot Says and I quote" your fine theres nothing wrong with you , you'll be alright"  I said your Wrong Something is Wrong.  He said your not a Doctor. My reply your are right but unlike you I am not an Idiot Fuck You your Fired.
I took the Pain as long as I could. I am in Illinois so I can get another Doctor. The Company said No your case is Closed. Excuse Me?
I got a Liar and went to another ortho. . So then it was on with the Company and Comp Insurance.The insurance sent me to their Doctor . He agreed with My Doctor.  He could not believe I was not on the Ground Crying. He also referred  to the other Doc as an Idiot. He put me on light duty gave me Prednsone , Oxycodone, and Muscle Relaxers. All which really Fucked with my Diabetes
The Company Tried to Fire 3 times during this Ordeal.
I was in the Yard Higher than 3 Kites and I  I nexteled my Partner and By Mistake  I hit the Group Call and the Words "Mother Fucking Douche Bag" went to over 220 Nextel Plant Wide Loud and Clear.
an hour later I was out the Door.
In the HR room I asked them if they really wanted to go down this Road Since there was 30+ similar occasions of this happening with others and not so much as a verbal warning given.
Oh well I have Had my Surgeries and  with  9 months off with  pay . The Company has a Wrongful Termination Suit against them and at the end of Summer I will be Back there again.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:51:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 8:12:52 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The crazy part is it is still hard as hell to even hire anyone decent. Getting a bit jaded, the available workforce seems to suck more than the job market.

You ain't kidding!

My company merged with another in late summer and we moved into their office (better facilities) in late October. One woman in my department quit just before the move - I think it was due to the longer drive. We had two other people quit because their drive was going to be horrendous. Anyway, we've been trying to replace this one woman since mid-November. My company is going through a recruiter, aside from personal recommendations of current employees or those we know in the business. There has been ONE second interview set up (for next week).

From what I hear, the candidates all have good experience, but are simply a bunch of toads. Plus, they all seem to be a bunch of limp noodles - no backbone. Such a person would get eaten alive in my department. We're not a bunch of meanies, but we're an intense group that also has a lot of fun and if you can't stand up for yourself, you'll just get steamrolled.

On the doing crazy stuff, I'm seeing at least one person who has a problem with getting to work on time. They've worked with her and put her on a one-hour later starting time (we have people who work 8-5, some 7-3, some 9-6) and it still isn't helping all that much.

ETA: Before the several people who quit due to longer commutes with office move, we had three people laid off due to merger - they would have been "duplicates."

Most of the people let go at my company in my time there (a little more than five years) have been to downsizing - this since late 2007. I do a damned good job and I'm the reason several large customers have remained with or come back to us. There have been a few fires due to incompetence, repeatedly coming in late, etc., but it's mostly been downsizing.

Yep, kind of a niche field I am in, they have gotten two resumes worth interviewing in the last couple of months, both were passed on with three openings still out there. The people that last years here are typically prior military, know their place, can take the abuse and dish it out

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 8:44:33 PM EDT
[#10]
I fired 3 people last year:
1. Cussed out her supervisor in public and walk out
2. Went on a spending spree with the company credit card
3. MIA during a major project weekend and lied about it
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:03:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Being horrible at their job
Not doig their job and instead listening to offensive rap & playing games on his phone (we are highly visible in the client facility)
Cutbacks
Turning in his gear and just walking out (not sure if that counts as a 'quit' but they ain't coming back)

That's all I can think of for now. Everyone else just gets another job and/or just leaves.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top