Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:58:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I was told by someone who should have known better that the m16 bullet tumbles in flight.

At least I never repeated that to anyone.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 11:04:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Nothing firearms were always a part of life
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 11:09:15 PM EDT
[#3]
1911 were the best pistols
m16 never jam
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 11:13:01 PM EDT
[#4]
When I was kid I thought bullets traveled in a straight line from the barrel.  I was crushed to learn that gravity can affect something that moves so fast, and that bullets actually drop.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 11:13:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I actually thought owning guns would make your penis larger.

Turns out that one didn't work at all, unforunately.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 11:16:05 PM EDT
[#6]
I thought until like 2002 that you could legally buy new fully automatic guns with the proper paperwork...
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 11:19:49 PM EDT
[#7]
That I would be able to buy whatever I wanted when I got older.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 11:22:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 12:12:39 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I actually thought owning guns would make your penis larger.

Turns out that one didn't work at all, unforunately.

Well if you like them enough...
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 12:20:35 AM EDT
[#10]
I actually beleived the words "shall not be infringed" meant jack shit.  I was wrong too.....
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 12:55:15 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

All guns were registered...

I've still got friends that think that...

I bought a pistol from a friend a few months back and one of the other guys told me to make sure I change it over to my name.  

I said... how do you do that?

He told me... "well, just go to the police station... they keep track of that stuff you know."

Bullshit... they don't care, and they don't keep track of "that stuff", the ATF keeps track of who buys them from dealers, not from each other.

"We'll they've got to keep track of something."

Okay, I'll go change it into my name
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 12:57:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Idid not know it was possible to own a FA gun.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:26:19 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Nothing firearms were always a part of life

+1  

I can't remember a time when I didn't own a gun.  I remember hunting with my dad when i was 6 and i had a .22 .  Bringing up my own kids the same way.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:26:58 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
m16 never jam

Well you were right about one of those...
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:54:11 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Bullshit... they don't care, and they don't keep track of "that stuff", the ATF keeps track of who buys them from dealers, not from each other.

Actually, they don't. At least they aren't supposed to. The dealers keep their yellow forms, and the ATF is allowed to access them at any time.

If the ATF confiscates a weapon, they typically compare the serial number to the original manufacturers records to determine which dealer it was originally sold to. Then they go check the dealer's records to see who the gun was sold to. They will then track the subsequent owners from there until they find out what they need.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:03:24 AM EDT
[#16]
I thought everyone was RAISED around firearms and knew how to shoot.

Mike
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:08:18 AM EDT
[#17]
I used to think 9mm was equal to the .45 and that DA autos were better than the outdated 1911s.  
( a few critters later I'm carrying a .45 )

Also thought for sure that silencers were illegal.

Now I know about the .45acp and my beloved 1911 as well as own several silencers

Also never used hearing protection as a kid, hell I doubt I even knew about earplugs or muffs!
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:13:48 AM EDT
[#18]
I used to think if you shot a full propane tank it would explode.

I used to think that if you dropped a round of ammo it would explode

I used to think smashing .38's with a brick was cool.. until my brother had to go to the hospital to get a piece of primer removed from his knee.

I used to think shooting out stop lights with a 12ga. shotgun was cool.

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:33:30 AM EDT
[#19]
I used to call mags "clips", a lot.

Hollow points were THE bullet and gauranteed to kill.

A .44 magnum would be the scariest handgun to shoot due to recoil.

That you could "file something down" to make a full auto.

Thankfully I learned a lot since those days.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:43:21 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I thought everyone was RAISED around firearms and knew how to shoot.

Mike

LOL... so did I!

I remember as a kid seeing the markings on a box of ammunition that warned about the range of a .22 being one mile. I was amazed when I looked at the 30.06 box and it said the range was 3 miles!
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:44:51 AM EDT
[#21]
I was correcting people since I was 6 FWIW
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:07:25 AM EDT
[#22]
I used to think that all guns were registered as well.  And, not only were they registered, there was a mandatory waiting period in all states before you could pick up a gun.

I used to think that people only needed one gun.

I used to think that handguns were easy to aim and hit the target at long distances because every tv show and movie I saw was that way.

I thought that the passage of a concealed carry law was bad because everyone would be carrying guns and it would no longer be safe.  (I was 8 or 9 at the time and guns were still inherently evil and should not be possessed by anyone except police officers and the military).
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:45:47 AM EDT
[#23]
I used to think:

-Silencers would be illegal if they really existed, but they're just a Hollywood invention

-Legal guns must be "registered" (You wouldn't believe how many non-gunowning people in Georgia think there is some sort of required registration. Even for long guns. It must go back to confusion about the CCW permit being a "Gun License" you need to own a gun)

-The 2nd Amendment means citizens should be able to have reasonable guns (but not machine guns, nobody needs those)

-Democrats were the more "freedom"-oriented party, since they call themselves "liberals", therefore, there has to be some truth to their positions on gun control...

I felt like the friggin Buddha when I saw the light and realized why that beliefs were wrong. This occurred midway through a 30rd mag dump from a rented Thompson M1A1.--->
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:51:08 AM EDT
[#24]
I bought my fist AR-15 so I could get more thrusts per squeeze. J/K
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:59:42 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I bought my fist AR-15 so I could get more thrusts per squeeze. J/K

man, thats what I buy hookers for....
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:08:22 AM EDT
[#26]
If you shot a guy in the toe with a 223, it could/would travel up the foot, along the leg bones, up the spine and down the arm to exit at the fingers.
Also thought all "45s" were not accurate
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:19:03 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I thought "Assault Rifles" were more powerful than hunting guns. Meaning if you shot a deer with an AR15, it would burst into dust.

I was very wrong

please share this info with others on this site

there is some confusion
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:23:23 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
m16 never jam

You were right about the 1911s.  Too bad you got dumber.  
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:26:51 AM EDT
[#29]

What were some of the stupidest things you've thought about firearms before getting into shooting?  

1.  That shooting was cheap.

2.  That I could walk away from this addiction at anytime.

My name is BangStick and I'm addicted to shooting.  Thank you for listening.  
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:26:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Mostly, myths about was/was not legal.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:28:44 AM EDT
[#31]
I thought that a gun was utilitarian tool with out emotion or self awareness.

Thanks to the libs I now am enlightened enough to know:

- That they can just go off by themselves
- That they were supposed to be falling from the sky & littering our streets after the AWB sunset.
- That only police officers and military should have them, & in fact, only police are qualified to handle them.
- That there should be no CCW lest civilized America become the wild, wild west with daily shoot outs due to road rage.

Where does it end?

I'm telling ya.  Ignorance was bliss.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:55:23 AM EDT
[#32]
I thought the 1911 was only an old man's gun
I thought the 1911 wasn't accurate
I thought M16 bullets tumbled
I thought that some of the gun grabbers were honest

I thought Bruce Willis's line about Glocks was the biggest piece of bullshit I ever heard... Well okay I was right about that at least.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 9:01:44 AM EDT
[#33]
I thought if I joined the military (infantry) I would be able to shoot weapons alot...boy was I wrong...and also thought I would be able to use my own side arm too.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 10:15:21 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 10:15:34 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, they don't. At least they aren't supposed to. The dealers keep their yellow forms, and the ATF is allowed to access them at any time.

If the ATF confiscates a weapon, they typically compare the serial number to the original manufacturers records to determine which dealer it was originally sold to. Then they go check the dealer's records to see who the gun was sold to. They will then track the subsequent owners from there until they find out what they need.

I really didn't mean kept track of it like in a database but they have ways of looking it up anyway...

...and since when did the .gov give a shit about what they are supposed to do?
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 10:18:25 AM EDT
[#36]
I called magazines clips for a little while til I said it around my dad and he corrected me (when I was like 5 ... in the late 1970s) . I didn't think AR15s were legal til I was maybe 7 .

But for the longest time til I started actually owning guns I thought you needed a "Class 3 licence" to own MGs
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:42:18 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Speaking of Glocks -- I bought the Die Hard line about ceramic parts content....  

Did you learn the truth about that one the hard way?

Lol... no...  I heard better after a while.  Turns out that here in Smyrna, our PoPo use Glocks, so I had a pipeline of better information.  Believed it for a few years though!

Had to correct a guy in college who still believed it.  He'd heard it from a "guy he knew who was in ROTC".  
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 12:48:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Great discussion!

I had no clue how a revolver worked.  I didn't understand how it fired the next round.  Until I pulled the trigger on one for the first time about five years ago, I didn't know that the backwards movement of the hammer turns the cylinder.z
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 1:32:41 PM EDT
[#39]
For a while when I was young, I had no idea how semi-autos worked. When I was 15 or 16 or so, I looked it up and found out.

I also used to think that anti-gunners had a few good points. I was rather surprised to conclude that everything they thought was total nonsense.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 1:38:18 PM EDT
[#40]
I probably believed some of the false representations of kinetic energy when hit by a shotgun or other firearm.  I never believed they had 2 legs, 2 arms and a mind of their own.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 1:48:28 PM EDT
[#41]
There really isnt Much. Ive grew up with Guns and Started really shooting alot, when I was 9 or 10

Though I remember looking through Sportmans Guide and seeing a picture of an AK type Rifle and Thought I could By a Stock set or conversion Kit for My SKS to make it "look like that"
Thats Not really that bad considering You have Grown Men (police, reporters, etc.) who still dont know the difference
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 1:55:36 PM EDT
[#42]
That you could shoot a lock off something to unlock it like they do in movies and on TV!

I tried it once on a padlocked plastic handgun case that I lost the key to. The lock flew about 20 feet away and was only dented... after it ripped itself out of the handle of the case which sent the case flying a few feet away.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 2:25:44 PM EDT
[#43]
I remember saying that they could ban all the guns they wanted back in 94' because I had my bow and arrow and didn't need a gun for hunting (I was young and dumb).  

I also thought that a bullet would go off like a grenade if not handled delicately. A friend helped dispell that by first dropping a cartidge on the ground, then pulling the bullet out of the casing with a pair of pliers and explaining that the primer had to be hit for it to go off.

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 2:32:57 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
That you could shoot a lock off something to unlock it like they do in movies and on TV!

I tried it once on a padlocked plastic handgun case that I lost the key to. The lock flew about 20 feet away and was only dented... after it ripped itself out of the handle of the case which sent the case flying a few feet away.

You should have checked the box of truth first.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:11:35 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I've been a shooter since I was 5 or 6........
I have had a few misconceptions between then and now. The most embarassing was that the Mini-14 was better than the M-16. Owning a Mini sure changed that, and it only lasted a few months.

That's one I never fell for.
I hated when the A-Team switched for 16s to minis.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:13:08 PM EDT
[#46]
That Glock was some sort of uber super gun.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:15:10 PM EDT
[#47]
That gun control stopped gun crimes.

Hey, I was 16.  I didn't know any better.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:16:30 PM EDT
[#48]
When I was super young, I thought that the more you racked the slide of a pistol or pumped a shotgun, the more powerful that shot was going to be.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:24:00 PM EDT
[#49]
I thought everything FA was an "M16" and stopped men "like the hand of God"

like others have said, was a bit dissappointed when I realized the actual caliber fired was so small in diameter.

thought bullets were longer i.e. the whole thing, case and all exit the muzzle

that all guns held at minimum 2,000 rounds (movies )

that a 44 would penetrate an engine block and that firing one would break my arms.

that guns were "dangerous"

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:30:45 PM EDT
[#50]
(Like many here I'm sure) I was born with a rifle in my hand and thus have no funny stories like the rest of you  amateurs.  
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top