Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 12:23:20 PM EDT
[#1]
98 or 99 and GT was 130 something, the recruiter argued with me about my job choice he said I could do anything except being a pilot (glasses)

My MOS choice?

3rd Generation DAT

ETA mostly a C student, I knew what I needed to do to pass and that was it, I was just waiting to hit Ft Knox I took the oath from my dad on Sept 11th 1989
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 12:26:12 PM EDT
[#2]
It'd be interesting to see someone aggregate the ASVAB scores by state, branch and MOS.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 12:31:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm with Chairborne, I don't believe anyone's score unless I work with them or see it.  Most nukes are sitting in the low to mid 90s and apparently that makes us the dumbest people in the military.

-Mike
View Quote
So, a few things.

A), this is not in fact a cross section of a general average of the US population. At a minimum, most people here have the time and ability to be at least mildly interested in firearms. The vast majority have the means and ability to put at a minimum of a few hundred bucks into a bottom end AR platform and a larger percentage have the means and ability to purchase either high end rifles and optics, or several low to mid tier rifles and the accessories to go with them. At some level, the really dumb ones arent going to have the time or means to purchase or be interested in the things that this site has to offer. If you lack the intelligence to get a job that allows you the funds to play then you wont be represented here.  

B) In the Infantry, which is my sole experience, you had one of two types of people. Either you had to be wavered in due to be too stupid to write your name;, or you had literally every MOS available to you according to your ASVAB and GT scores. The number of truly intelligent t people I served with was astonishing for being a bunch of dumb grunts. Math majors, physics guys, people pursuing masters degrees in psychology, sociology, all sharing space in the back of the LMTV with the mouth breathing window lickers. What that says about us I'm not sure. 

Side note, I work with a guy who was a Navy nuke tech on a sub. Smart guy, not very smart because he caught a big chicken dinner for smoking reefer. On the sub. So yeah, my sole Navy Nuke tech experience... 
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 12:33:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Took it in 1997 ... ASVAB 93/GT 127 ....  Infantry contract as well Like another poster mentioned, I saw tons of other 11b dudes with great scores pretty regularly.

Talented/Gifted program earlier in life, never studied in school/smoked most tests, probably averaged a B due to not doing homework.

Don't worry about your scores, just do your best and let Uncle Sam take care of the rest
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 12:34:36 PM EDT
[#5]
C-D student in high school, 93 on the ASVAB, Avionics in The Big Canoe Club, finished first in my class, 162 on LSAT, finished top 10% in law school. I'm a really good test taker.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 12:41:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Graduated high school with a 1.5 GPA.

Cut a 92 on the asvab and graduated from Corry with a 97.6%.

*shrug*
View Quote
hated school. graduated with 2.0 GPA. I got a 120GT on the ASVAB

edit: btw, I didn't follow through, never made it in.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 12:44:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Barely passed high school. Had to do a summer class to graduate.

I got a 96 on my asvab and 130+ GT scores. I went 88M (Truck driver) in the army.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 12:48:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Upper 90's on part 100 something on the other. C student in high school.
This was 1975, and yeah, I was a tanker
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 12:50:09 PM EDT
[#9]
terrible high school grades.

121 GT

4.0 Finance degree
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 12:58:34 PM EDT
[#10]
99 on the ASVAB in 1994.  HS gpa in 1986 was 3.98.  I was working as a police officer at the time and wanted to join the army national guard.  Recruiter suggested a tanker, I told him I wanted to fly Apaches.  I qualified for it as a warrant officer (my GT score was really high), and was about ready to sign up until I learned it was a full time gig.  I ended up not doing it.  I kind of regret it, but I just couldn't commit to it full time at that point in my life.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 12:59:30 PM EDT
[#11]
90 on the ASVAB, GT was 135.

Highschool was C and B. I make As and Bs in college as long as it's not math. Fuck math. Fuck english too.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 1:02:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Maxed the ASVAB, was a low C student. I was told I could have such jobs as electrician or pest exterminator.

The funny thing was there was a day when they called all the C and D students into the auditorium to give us the ASVAB. College track kids didn't have to take the test.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 1:02:56 PM EDT
[#13]
No idea on the actual score. Just remember that it was high enough that recruiters were driving me nuts. Weekly letters from the Navy. One army recruiter wouldn't leave me alone. And I lived an hour from his office.

High school grades could have been better. I stopped applying myself around 9th grade due to video games, girls, and hunting. I think I graduated with a 93 or 94 average.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 1:06:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Sophomore and Junior year in HS I was a C student.  Decided to join the military and busted my ass my Senior year to get straight A's.

ASVAB score from MEPS:

ASVAB scores from the test in Boot Camp:

I intentionally tanked my Clerical score by blowing out the "Coding Speed" portion of the test. I was afraid they would make me an admin bitch if I failed my A School. I had gotten a CL of 126 at MEPS.

A few observations from my time as a Recruiter.

1.  Almost all of the smartest guys wanted to be Infantry.
2.  Almost all of the dummies wanted to be Aircraft Mechanics, Computer Programmers and Electronics Technicians.
3.  The military attracts some of the smartest and dumbest people in the country.
4.  Test scores are not a reliable indicator of someones native intelligence.

As always YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 1:06:02 PM EDT
[#15]
The average score on the ASVAB is 50

The asvab score is where you rank in the percentile of people who have taken the asvab.

I highly doubt every single ARFCOMMER is in the top 2%

A 75 on the ASVAB is great, it means you are in the top 25%
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 1:06:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The most lying thread on arfcom.  Such a bunch of absolute horseshit.  If you lying dickheads don't post your score, on paper or from a military record site, you are a lying piece of shit.  That is 90% of you ridiculous blowhards.
View Quote

Next you'll be telling us the treads where 90% of ARFCOMers claim to have 140+ IQs are BS.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 1:13:35 PM EDT
[#17]
In high school raw score 84 grades had dropped from 3.0 in junior year to 2.5 in senior year due to personal problems. ASVAB scores went up the 2nd time I took it after 9/11 long after I was out of high school
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 1:13:58 PM EDT
[#18]
99 on ASVAB, 99 on the USAF's General, Mechanical, and Electronics composites.  Don't recall what Administrative was, but it was less than 99.  Did 4 years as a computer programmer.  Was a C-D student in HS.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 1:14:15 PM EDT
[#19]
In high school raw score 84 grades had dropped from 3.0 in junior year to 2.5 in senior year due to personal problems. ASVAB scores went up the 2nd time I took it after 9/11 long after I was out of high school
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 1:14:49 PM EDT
[#20]
I scored a 96 in 1991 and graduated 11th in my class out of 90 students with a 3.4 GPA.  I never enlisted and my legal guardians (i.e. my grandparents) made too much money for me to qualify for scholarships or any other tuition assistance.  I still managed to graduate from college in 1996, after changing my major three times, with ZERO in student loans.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 1:16:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Next you'll be telling us the treads where 90% of ARFCOMers claim to have 140+ IQs are BS.
View Quote
But it's not like the ASVAB is hard. The only people that didn't end up with high scores are the same people who need to be told to close their mouths and they ended up as cooks or truck drivers in the Army.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 1:16:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The most lying thread on arfcom.  Such a bunch of absolute horseshit.  If you lying dickheads don't post your score, on paper or from a military record site, you are a lying piece of shit.  That is 90% of you ridiculous blowhards.
View Quote
I think the only score on record is GT score, will that do?
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 1:16:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Top 1%. Signed up as ET Nuke.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 1:26:17 PM EDT
[#24]
I found my ASVAB individual test scores on my ERB.  My actual asvab score is not listed, but it was 89.  So a score of 89 will produce the following individual test scores.
In high school, I was an A/B student.  My HS GPA was about 3.4.  I scored a 90 on the ASVAB when I was a senior.  I joined the army about 4 years later (2006)  and scored the 89 which is shown below.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 1:33:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
So, a few things.

A), this is not in fact a cross section of a general average of the US population. At a minimum, most people here have the time and ability to be at least mildly interested in firearms. The vast majority have the means and ability to put at a minimum of a few hundred bucks into a bottom end AR platform and a larger percentage have the means and ability to purchase either high end rifles and optics, or several low to mid tier rifles and the accessories to go with them. At some level, the really dumb ones arent going to have the time or means to purchase or be interested in the things that this site has to offer. If you lack the intelligence to get a job that allows you the funds to play then you wont be represented here.  

B) In the Infantry, which is my sole experience, you had one of two types of people. Either you had to be wavered in due to be too stupid to write your name;, or you had literally every MOS available to you according to your ASVAB and GT scores. The number of truly intelligent t people I served with was astonishing for being a bunch of dumb grunts. Math majors, physics guys, people pursuing masters degrees in psychology, sociology, all sharing space in the back of the LMTV with the mouth breathing window lickers. What that says about us I'm not sure. 

Side note, I work with a guy who was a Navy nuke tech on a sub. Smart guy, not very smart because he caught a big chicken dinner for smoking reefer. On the sub. So yeah, my sole Navy Nuke tech experience... 
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm with Chairborne, I don't believe anyone's score unless I work with them or see it.  Most nukes are sitting in the low to mid 90s and apparently that makes us the dumbest people in the military.

-Mike
So, a few things.

Also, this is very much a self selection biased survey.  People who did well on the ASVAB will post.  People who are dumb as fuck and scored poorly will not rush in to publicly proclaim that they had to get a GED and then got an ASVAB waiver.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 1:34:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The average score on the ASVAB is 50

The asvab score is where you rank in the percentile of people who have taken the asvab.

I highly doubt every single ARFCOMMER is in the top 2%
View Quote
Yeah, but the ones who aren't won't rush to post that they aren't, or simply cannot read this thread
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 1:35:41 PM EDT
[#27]
96 on the ASVAB, enlisted as a 96B (Intelligence Analyst).  130 GT score.  In HS, I was a hooligan and a terrible student. I graduated but only after summer school. My GPA when I graduated was a 1.44. Going into the Army was one of the best things that I have ever done. The military not only made me a better person, but also a better student as well. My current GPA in college is 3.86. It's not perfect, and I do struggle every now and then with classes, but I don't give up and always try.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 1:38:15 PM EDT
[#28]
C-d student at best in HS.

97 on the ASVAB

Graduated from Embry Riddle with a 3.69 GPA, cum-laude
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 2:10:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

For the really smart folks.

ASVAB is a percentile.  It goes no higher than 99

GT is a composite score and can go up to 140 something.

If you are bragging about your 110 ASVAB, you are doing it wrong.
View Quote
Is the GT a separate test?

I don't really remember taking it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 2:11:13 PM EDT
[#30]
I honestly don't remember the score, though I know it was high.  I was a top student and took it to get out of calculus and physics classes that day.  My calculus teacher was a veteran and was pissed that I took it with no thought of actually joining the military.  I'd already been accepted into a college engineering program when I took the test.  I remember the Navy recruiter bugging the shit out of me trying to get me to join the nuclear engineering program they had, but all I could picture was how much it would suck getting stuck in a submarine.  The recruiters were still calling when I came home after my first year at college.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 2:13:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
My mom actually saved my ASVAB results and put them in a scrapbook.

I might swing by her house on the way from work to look at it/snap a picture of it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 2:42:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
96 on the ASVAB, 130 something GT score. I enlisted 11B 

Edited, since you changed the title,

B-C student in HS, I never had to actually apply myself or work. I then got into a military college and did poorly the first few years at college, mostly because I had no idea how to work or study in a scholastic environment. I left school and came back a year or so ago and graduated in May with a BA in Int Affairs w/ a ME focus. If you only count my GPA from my last two years I would have a 3.66 
View Quote
I also got a 96 on the ASVAB, 130 something GT score. I also enlisted 11B airborne.

I got A's and B's in middle school. Early high school I got C's mostly until the last two years they fell to D's and F's. I focused on after school activities and finally dropped out of high school. I never had to apply myself in school and would get A's and B's on tests. Well, if you didn't complete homework, projects, and frequently skipped school you will end up failing despite getting A's and B's on tests. I remember a review on a report card with a D grade that said, "1. Was a pleasure to have in class. 2. Rarely in class."

Got my GED, joined the Army. Once out of the Army, I got my Associates degree and got a 3.83 GPA. I do OK now.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 2:50:09 PM EDT
[#33]
I was a "C" student in high school. In 1973 I scored 90+ in every section of the ASVAB except the Admin section...I scored a 35 in it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 3:05:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Also, this is very much a self selection biased survey.  People who did well on the ASVAB will post.  People who are dumb as fuck and scored poorly will not rush in to publicly proclaim that they had to get a GED and then got an ASVAB waiver.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

-Mike
So, a few things.

I highly doubt that's completely the case, and I don't believe every one is telling the whole truth in this thread.

Me and one other guy in this thread can't be the only ones with the the balls to admit we were in the 70's or below, and I for sure haven't completely failed at life as so many proclaim I must have with the score I received.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 4:52:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

But it's not like the ASVAB is hard. The only people that didn't end up with high scores are the same people who need to be told to close their mouths and they ended up as cooks or truck drivers in the Army.
View Quote
My 99 score wife who shipped as an SPC because of her degree enlisted... as a cook. She wanted somebody to pay her student loans.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 4:54:28 PM EDT
[#36]
I want to meet the guy who gets a 1 on the AFQT.

They have to be out there.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 5:02:09 PM EDT
[#37]
99 asvab, all A's in high school.   Ranked 4th in my graduating class.   33 on my act.  Had a full ride scholarship to college.  Lost my scholarship after 2 semesters and dropped out.  Going back to college  next week.  Hope i can still learn like used to.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 5:03:33 PM EDT
[#38]

Mostly Bs
Why do a shitload of work that requires lots of effort when you can still learn the same thing, put in half the effort and get a decent grade.  

Hard work never killed anyone, but why take the chance?*

*money is an acceptable answer here
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 5:04:09 PM EDT
[#39]
99 on ASVAB, graduated 5th in a class of 451.

Professor of Mechanical Engineering.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 5:07:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Is there a way to find what you scored? All I remember is the mailbox constantly being stuffed with air force and navy pamphlets.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 5:33:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I never really gave a shit in high school.  Looking back, I maybe could have been diagnosed with some form of ADD, as I could never stay focused enough to actually do the required work.  Not to say I didn't learn anything, I usually did well on tests, but repeatedly failed to do required class work/homework.  I ended up graduating with like a 2.6-2.7 GPA.

All that being said, I scored a 31 on the ACT and either a 91 or 92 on my ASVAB.

Didn't really do much good for me as I was boneheaded and dropped out of college then chose a guaranteed Security Forces slot.    I guess at least I chose the Air Force.  
View Quote
I think you were cheating off my test paper...

97 ASVAB
C/D student in high school, mostly due to not completing homework or studying for tests (I'm pretty sure I'm undiagnosed ADHD).
Dropped out of college after 2 years without a degree, got married, and had a kid.
6 months after my son was born I enlisted with a guaranteed Security Forces slot.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 6:11:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
How the hell do you guys remember such things ?
I remember taking it just to get out of classes one morning.  I have NO idea what I scored.
I do remember thinking it was easier than the ACT......but I have no idea what I scored on that either.
View Quote
98 on the ASVAB in 2007. I don't remember what any of the specific categories were, but there were all fairly high.
I didn't take the DLAB(probably should have), but my recruiter showed me the best scores for language out of the region, I was 2nd to girl that spoke 4 languages. I only speak English.

Iowa Test series from 6th-12th with the lowest at 96 percentile. 4.0 and 3.9, 2 semesters in college. Under 20 questions wrong during 6 years in the military.

I'm nothing special and still a dumbass in most things in life though. As for remembering all of that, I've always excelled at memorization, retention of knowledge, reading comprehension, analytical and spatial reasoning. Nothing crazy like photographic or eidetic memory and I do make mistakes.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 6:13:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Just like many others I hated school and could not wait to graduate HS and be done. I hardly participated, never did homework/projects/reports, Skipped classes all the time and was a D- student . Ended up being sent to a secondary/tech school my junior and senior years. Senior year I did correspondence courses on top of regular classes, all during school hours, and graduated on time with a 2.4 GPA. In 2002 I Scored a 98 on the ASVAB and was hounded forever by recruiters. School was boring and failed to challenge me. I'm a hands on learner and great at math. I now work on Natural gas production equipment and live very comfortably. Wife tells me all the time I should've gone to collage to be a mechanical engineer.

ETA: I'll try to find my test results and post for all the haters who are doubting people.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 6:15:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
98 or 99 and GT was 130 something, the recruiter argued with me about my job choice he said I could do anything except being a pilot (glasses)

My MOS choice?

3rd Generation DAT

ETA mostly a C student, I knew what I needed to do to pass and that was it, I was just waiting to hit Ft Knox I took the oath from my dad on Sept 11th 1989
View Quote
We were at Disney at the same time.  You were leaving as I was getting there.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 6:19:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Freshman year dropout. Scored an 87... (Yes really) I was one of those kids who was literally too smart for school
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 6:22:33 PM EDT
[#46]
85 ASVAB without trying at all, was done in about 30mins on the computer version

3.5'ish GPA in HS
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 6:24:51 PM EDT
[#47]
C to low-B student in HS with the occasional A if I liked the subject and I didn't have to do too much work (Latin, for example--just translate texts about Romans slaughtering Gauls, no papers).

98 97 on the ASVAB, 97 average in A-school for airplane engines.

I do well if I'm interested.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 6:28:42 PM EDT
[#48]
It was 98 or 99.

I ended up getting a 4 year scholarship to the University of Utah. The .mil recruiters didn't stop calling me for at least the first two years of college. Wanted me pretty bad. In retrospect, maybe I should have done it. But we can't go back.

Oh, I was a Pi student. 3.14 GPA
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 6:30:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Got a 99 on the ASVAB, and barely escaped high school. This was back in '78.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 6:33:06 PM EDT
[#50]
93 if I remember right?

C to D student. High school was insanely boring.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top