Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 9:22:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I would like to be the dictator of a small island country and rule with an iron hand. [:D]

ARH
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 11:21:33 PM EDT
[#2]

I live my dream.

For it's ups and downs, being an airline pilot has got to be one of the best jobs on the planet.  When it's bad, it's really bad, but when it's good, it's unbelievable!

Nothing like skimming along the top of a cloud deck at 500mph watching the sun come up infront of you, getting to see all the colours of the new day.  Climbing out a 7,000 feet per minute flying a hotrod airplane that'll beat a GTO in the 1/4 mile from a standing start.

Talking about the pilot profession gives one room to make it sound as good or as bad as possible.

The good side:  For a single guy, I make ok money.  Not the six figures you hear in the news (that's incredibly over-stated.  Not many make that much), but enough to live on and still buy my toys.  I love the people I work with.  It really is like a small family.  I'm my own boss.  In fact, I'm the closest thing my co-works have to a boss.  When we start a trip, I'm responsible for the whole thing.  If something goes wrong (or someone gets thrown in jail [:)]), I'm responsible.  Basically, everyone shows up, does their job, and we have a good time.  The flight attendants are still fun to play with, as well (though nothing like it was in the glory days unforunately).  I get some good time off (but when I work I'm gone for a while.. not good for a family type guy).  I can travel the world for free.  Basically, I get paid to do a job that, if I had a "real" job, I'd be wishing I had the free time to do the things I get paid to do.  I feel sorry for all you "Office Space" types!

Now the down sides:  Gone for days or weeks at a time.  I had a g/f that I lived with who was also a pilot.  We didn't see eachother for TWO MONTHS, and we LIVED TOGETHER!!  I have to deal with an incredible amount of daily bullshit and people telling me that if I don't do my job correctly I'll be fired (guess that's true with any job).  I'm under constant inspection and supervision from not only my company but the government as well.  Every six months I have the opportunity to lose my job because of an unforseen medical condition.  I have to work 15 hr days, get less than 6 hrs of sleep, and then do it again (try driving for 12-15 hrs and then see how good you feel.. it's tiring!).  It's legal by the FAA, so it's done.  Oh, and of course, if I screw something up, at best it's my job.  At worst, it's my life and the lives of those I've been intrusted to get safely from point A to point B.

That being said, I wouldn't change careers for the world.  In fact, if I won a million dollars, I wouldn't even quit my job.

Patriot
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 1:15:17 AM EDT
[#3]
I would want to own an ISP, be a gun tester and be a fighter pilot.  Have everything there!
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 1:23:09 AM EDT
[#4]
A MOD on AR15.COM!
OK really, a dive instructor at some tropical resort.
Teaching good looking women neutral bouyancy.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 5:27:22 AM EDT
[#5]
I wish a had a clue ?
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 6:24:00 AM EDT
[#6]
F-15E Strike Eagle Pilot or WSO by day......Trojan Product Test Engineer by night.

And while we're at it, I'd like a 10" member, too. [:)]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top