Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:17:40 AM EDT
[#1]
cost of the rifle is good when you add up all the features. weight just means you burn a few extra calories
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:21:22 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

It's a solid rifle.

Too bad they don't make one in 6.8 SPC.

Yup.  My next rifle purchase is going to be a 6.8, and preferably piston-operated.

I've been leaning towards an XCR, but would love to see Ruger come out with one.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:34:22 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Bill Ruger = anti gun gunmaker.

Bill Ruger is dead.  GET OVER IT!

Holding Ruger accountable for the sins of past executives, is like black people holding white people accountable for the sins of our ancestors.

Ruger is not the same company now that it was when Bill Ruger was there.  Again, get over it!
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 12:01:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
A counter guy at Virginia Arms told me that they tested it and would not recomend it because of jamming issues.
For what it's worth.

At least one guy I shoot 3-gun with uses one.  Not a malfunction to be had on two separate occasions.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 12:08:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Can someone explain the gas regulator to me? I'm a noob.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 12:15:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 12:23:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It has three positions. 1 is for a suppressor (smaller gas port), 2 is for regular use (normal sized gas port), and 3 is for "extreme conditions" (very cold/very dirty gun - large gas port).

The only one 99.9% of users will ever use/need is 2.

cool, thanks.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 12:23:42 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Costs too much.

It's the cheapest piston gun out there...

Nope, CMMG sells a piston gun for 970

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 12:30:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
why wouldn't you feel comfortable with it?  
Quoted:
No, I would not feel comfortable with it.

I'll stick with my dirty DI guns.

It has a short-stroke gas-piston, that's why.

OP asked about a zombie gun, the last thing I want on my SHTF rifle is parts that I can't get replacements for.

I'll stick with my $10 gas tubes, gas-pistons on 16" unsuppressed uppers make zero sense to me.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 12:41:10 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

OP asked about a zombie gun, the last thing I want on my SHTF rifle is parts that I can't get replacements for.

I'll stick with my $10 gas tubes, gas-pistons on 16" unsuppressed uppers make zero sense to me.

Do you think you'll be finding spare parts for ANY gun if SHTF?  It was practically impossible to find LPK for awhile.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 12:43:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you think you'll be finding spare parts for ANY gun if SHTF?  It was practically impossible to find LPK for awhile.

Why would I have to find anything?

I have spare gas tubes and roll pins, spare LPK's, spare BCG's, and pretty much everything else I would ever need.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 12:44:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bill Ruger = deceased

(I didn't buy my first Ruger 'til he was gone.)

His is deceased, yes. But he was a huge advocate of civilians NOT owning "assault weapons" and "high capacity magazines"

Like I said, Bill Ruger was an anti-gun gunmaker.

And Mercedes made automobiles for the Nazis... what the fuck does that have to do with the company TODAY?

Well played.

1/9 twist = FAIL

Should have gone 1/8 or 1/7.  Some of us like 75 grain

1/9 also = being able to use your .22lr adaptor with some usefull accuracy. I do agree there is no reason to not offer the same model in 1/7 for those that want it, but I dont shoot anything heavier than 62 grain, 1/9 is all I need.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 12:48:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Bill Ruger is dead.  GET OVER IT!

Holding Ruger accountable for the sins of past executives, is like black people holding white people accountable for the sins of our ancestors.

Ruger is not the same company now that it was when Bill Ruger was there.  Again, get over it!

Holy shit....  

Don't be bringing logic into the Ruger Hatin'

Next thing you know, someone will be posting 1.5-2MOA Mini-14 100 yard groupings, and we sure as fuck can't have that
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 12:48:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Well it sounds like due to the extra weight and cost of the rifle, the general concensus here is to pass.

I dont know if I would go that far. I guess it just depends on what you want it for.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 12:51:44 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you think you'll be finding spare parts for ANY gun if SHTF? It was practically impossible to find LPK for awhile.

I have spare gas tubes and roll pins, spare LPK's, spare BCG's, and pretty much everything else I would ever need.

So do the same for the Ruger rifle then.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 12:56:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you think you'll be finding spare parts for ANY gun if SHTF? It was practically impossible to find LPK for awhile.

So do the same for the Ruger rifle then.

Why?

I don't own a suppressor, and that would be the only reason why I would even consider a gas-piston on an AR.

Can you even get replacement parts for the Ruger? Who's piston are they using anyway?

All of my rifles are DI, I really don't want one oddball rifle that doesn't take the same parts as the rest.

When I decide it's time to play with a piston gun, it's gonna be a SCAR or an ACR, if it ever comes out.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 12:59:06 PM EDT
[#17]
You know, if took the same rifle and slapped a "Heckler & Koch" nameplate on it most skeptics here would suddenly want one.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:02:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I love mine.

ETA: probably only 200ish rounds through mine at this point. 100% reliable. Flip-ups came zeroed from the factory (nice touch!), and no signs of carrier tilt. Runs on Wolf and Brown Bear just fine, BTW.

Hey, knock it off.

This is arfcom and you're doing a review on something that you not only own, but have some experience with, AND you're on topic!

You're a bad example to the rest of us!

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:09:32 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

All of my rifles are DI, I really don't want one oddball rifle that doesn't take the same parts as the rest.

When I decide it's time to play with a piston gun, it's gonna be a SCAR or an ACR, if it ever comes out.

Oh, I see.  This makes lots of sense.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:11:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh, I see.  This makes lots of sense.

Yep, it does.

Both the SCAR and ACR were designed from the ground up with a gas-piston.

I will never own an AR-15 with a piston slapped on it.

If you have a problem with that, I don't know what to tell you.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:16:38 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh, I see. This makes lots of sense.

Yep, it does.

Both the SCAR and ACR were designed from the ground up with a gas-piston.

I will never own an AR-15 with a piston slapped on it.

If you have a problem with that, I don't know what to tell you.

I don't have a problem with it.  It just seems a little silly that you don't want a Ruger rifle because it doesn't have 100 percent parts compatibility with existing AR's, but have no problem buying a SCAR which uses an even lower percentage of the same parts as an AR.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:30:21 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's a great point.  I always hear people say, "I want to get XXX, because in a SHTF situation it'll be easier to get parts."

But if it's truly a SHTF situation, there isn't going to be a "spare" anything available.  

No matter what gun you own, you should already be in possession of any common parts that might conceivably break or need to be replaced.  'Cause if the shit truly does hit the fan, that is NOT going to be the time you'll find any "spare" parts.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:20:51 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It gets good reviews here.

I'll take one review here over any amount of gun shop gossip.

Many of the reviews I read here say the reviewer's rifle won't extract steel cased reliably.
I think the chamber is cut a little too tight.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:24:27 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's made with outsourced parts, so it really is a rifle and not a mini caliber shotgun.

wait...what?

um, yeah, wut?

I think he means that ruger didnt make it, therefore its more accurate than a mini, which patterns like a shotgun.

No it doesn't.

Some of the older Minis that had pressed on front sights had some serious problems.  Some Minis also tend to string shots vertically when the barrel gets hot.

However, the newer models are much more accurate and dependable as ever.  Mine will shoot 2.5 MOA all the day long with most factory ammo.  I use it as a predator calling gun.  I find the use of magnified optics feels more natural on a Mini than an AR.  For AR-15s, I like either irons or some kind of red dot / holosight.
I bought one in 1992 that wouldn't keep under 4moa shooting from a  bench rest.

I sold it during the ban to a guy who never fired a gun before for more than I paid for it.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:34:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Proprietary piston system.  Can't get spare parts instead have to send rifle back to fix a problem/broken part.

No Thanks..02

Good point!

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top