Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 8:10:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Worked several 96 hour shifts while in Paramedic school. Was working full-time EMS (24 hour shifts) as an EMT-Basic and was also doing my internship with another EMS company. I would work my regular schedule (24 hours), change clothes and work my internship schedule (48 hours), then come back and work my regular schedule again (72 hours), then gowork another internship schedule (96 hours)! It wasn't too bad because I was able to sqeeze in a few hours of sleep during the afternoons or evenings. The killer stretch was one that we got calls spaced throughout the day and night and day and night and day and night and day and night. No sleep for 96 hours! To make it worse, both of my regular crew members got sick and I had to run the last 24 hour's worth of calls with a reserve crew. They didn't know alot but tried to be helpful, but it dramatically increased my workload. I was having to navigate, drive, operate radios, triage, and treat basically by myself. I would end up at calls and not remember driving there! I slept for 48 hours straight after that and vowed to never do it again. It was during this stretch that I had my very first Code Blue field save!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top