Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:22:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Dix sucked ass - though going over onto the Air Force side wasn't bad, as their chowhalls were
better!
(You know you're shit's in a world of hurt when you enter the training area, and there is this big-assed
billboard that says, "You are now entering a Lyme-Disease infested area", that goes on to talk
about ticks, etc. Despite all of the checking that I did, I still got bit, and ended up on antibiotics
the size of horsepills for almost a month to get rid of the Lyme disease....)

Ft. Riley sucked ass, but thank God I had a car at least. Junction City is nothing but a rip-off joint,
and I was really hoping that while the post was practically gone during DS, that the town would dry
up and blow away. Skanks, bars and fastfood joints. That's it. Manhattan, at least, had the college
and the attending co-eds , and was a fairly decent place.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:45:50 AM EDT
[#2]
I can't believe that Fort Irwin didn't get at least an honorable mention.  In the field 45 weeks of the year, nothing to do on post.  Cold in the winter, 120 in the summer and its a 40 mile drive to town.  When you get to town it's Barstow and you wish you hadn't even left the barracks.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:58:51 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I can't believe that Fort Irwin didn't get at least an honorable mention.

I thought about it, but luckily wasn't there very long. (We'd been there right before DS kicked off.)

I distinctly remember looking out across the terrain, and getting a real good impression of how easy
it would be for a person to die out there in that environment. It crossed my mind again a few days
later when I was on an OP overlooking "The Whale", looked back, and realized that the TOC had
jumped, leaving me and my partner stranded.
"What should we do?" he asked, and I told him that we were going to keep our happy asses right
where we were, since they knew where we'd been when they left. I had no intentions of dragging an
M-60 and a Dragon across the desert, maybe ending up as buzzard-bait!

We moved into what shade there was from some rocks, and about a 1/2 hour later, the S-3 NCOIC
showed up in the Hummer.
"Damn guys, I'm sorry.... we forgot all about you...."

Can you feel the love.....
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:13:24 AM EDT
[#4]
well Im a kstate fan and have some family that goes there.  Last time I was there I had a damn good time don't forget its one of the biggest party schools out from some survey I read a while back.  I wouldn't wanna get stuck in a leg unit anyway though so I will gladly stay away.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:06:32 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
ft polk

ft riley ain't all that hot either, but it looks like heaven compared to polk

i loved ft benning.

whats to hate on riley?  I haven't been stationed there but I like the manhatte jct city area.  not that bad.  Any one know of a glidden?  ltc glidden retired maybe 4 years ago?

Where did you hang out in JC? I never saw anything there worthwhile.
I'll give you Manhattan and KC, but JC? I was at Riley in '85 and I remember JC being a real pit.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:24:41 PM EDT
[#6]
out of the following:

Sill
Pickett
Indiantown Gap
Polk
Bragg/Mackall
Benning
Stewart/HAAF
Dix
Jackson
Lee
Eustis

I'd say Polk is by far the worst.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:41:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Laughlin AFB Del Rio Texas.  Five hours to anywhere north east or west.  And it sits on the Mexican border.  I could go on and on, but you get the point.

Edited to add: Sorry guys, I didn't realize this was in the Deployed Forum.  I retired from the Air Force 10 years ago, so I'm hardly deployed anywhere.  Thanks for your service!
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:37:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Just curious but I'm wondering what's so bad about Ft. Polk? I'm not in the Army or anything but I live about 30 mins away and have been there numerous times. I'm not saying that any of you guys are wrong or anything, just curious.And I've noticed that some of the buildings seem to be pretty shitty but I'm sure there's more to it than that. Plus, don't you guys just love the fantastic summertime weather we get around these parts? haha.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 2:28:16 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
J Plus, don't you guys just love the fantastic summertime weather we get around these parts? haha.

Your answer is in your own question.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 3:19:47 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The food at Ft. Dix has been the worst I've ever had in uniform every time I've been there. The base itself offers nothing to remember, and has an nuclear waste marker for good measure. It's also In NJ, so that's a trifecta.

As someone who is stationed at Ft Dix, I have to agree wholeheartedly.

Nuclear waste?  You must be talking about the BOMARC site off of rt 539.  I believe they are STILL cleaning that mess up.

Hopefully outta here this summer!

B_S
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 3:23:52 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I spent tons of time at JRTC while it was at Chaffee (Tick central), never made it there when it switch to Ft. Polk.  

Traded red clay/mud for unbearable heat and misquitos?  That changeover happened in '93 as JRTC HQ moved from LRAFB to Ft Polk.  

As bad as Polk was/is I'd still rather be stationed there than Ft Dix/McGuire.

B_S
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 3:41:35 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Just curious but I'm wondering what's so bad about Ft. Polk? I'm not in the Army or anything but I live about 30 mins away and have been there numerous times. I'm not saying that any of you guys are wrong or anything, just curious.And I've noticed that some of the buildings seem to be pretty shitty but I'm sure there's more to it than that. Plus, don't you guys just love the fantastic summertime weather we get around these parts? haha.

What makes it so bad ? Everything is 30+ minutes away. If you think it was bad in the 90's think about what is was like back in the 80's .  

Fort Polk 86-90 Asshole of the world.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:37:33 PM EDT
[#13]
well, Polk SUCKS but if you want to LITERALLY be bored to the verge to where you dread the weekends....then go to Ft. Leonard Wood.  I did end up becoming a frequent strip club atendee b/c thats the only thng around to do besides walmart.  I love wallyworld but could only go in  4 times a week before i start to lose my mind
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:58:14 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
well, Polk SUCKS but if you want to LITERALLY be bored to the verge to where you dread the weekends....then go to Ft. Leonard Wood.  I did end up becoming a frequent strip club atendee b/c thats the only thng around to do besides walmart.  I love wallyworld but could only go in  4 times a week before i start to lose my mind

Leonard Wood is great if you are into hunting, fishing, hiking ETC. Butif not it is pretty much Wal-Mart and strip clubs unless you drive a ways.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:45:34 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Camp McCall, Ft. Bragg. Special Forces Assesment and Selection facillity right next door to the SEAR school 28 Days of pure Hell, the sandman=back pain forever. Johnson Atoll used to be the Chemical weapons storage and testing center never there thank god but new a few guys who there? Florida Everglades Jungle phase of Ranger school my brother still has foot problems.

Oh Yea, Why Camp McCall, no food, cold showers when you had time I think I had 3, no sleep, no information, 18-20 hr days, 65lbs strapped to your back everywhere you go and you never stop going, plus your team had too carry lots of extras everywhere like the sandman, mortar crates full of sand, 5 Gallon water cans full of sang one in each hand and one strapped too the top of your rucksack and so on. Plus I went through during a DOD experiment. More than 500 "applicants" too include Marine Force Recon, Navy Seals, and Air force PJ's, and I volunteered for it. I was questioning my sanity half way through and given we took phsyc evals quite freqwently I think the GB's who were the evaluators questioned it at times too.

Camp Mckall Has a great chow hall, and I always had a hot shower there.  I found that most of the people that didn't like it there was because the last place they slept was the shack of shame before doing the duffel bag drag home. I spent selection, phase I , Phase III, and SERE out there, I like McCall.

Ft. Polk is the worst by far.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:54:55 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
The food at Ft. Dix has been the worst I've ever had in uniform every time I've been there. The base itself offers nothing to remember, and has an nuclear waste marker for good measure. It's also In NJ, so that's a trifecta.

Dix is a relatively clean base. Off post (Wrightstown) is ultra ghetto. Probably not the worst off base since it's a small town though.
They have a really decent Rod and Gun range as well.
It's more or less out in the boonies of NJ, which isn't all that bad either.

I haven't really been to a total shithole of a base. Ft Picket is kinda crappy just because it's pretty desolate. Not ghetto or anything... just bare.

I would have figured one of the big division posts woudl have been named... the ones with on base gang and shootings and such. Like Bragg or something.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:59:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Hey, I liked Del Rio, but then I only visited there. I also liked Mt. Home too.
Dix is right up there though. I didn't find Ft. Lee that bad.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top