Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 3:22:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Get an MSDN subscription through your employer.  Download any and every operating system and add in suite M$ puts out, with legal product keys for FREE.

That's what I did.  

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 3:29:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I've never activated my windows.   I patch it.  I change hardware often enough that the activation would be a pain in the ass and I'm not going to beg them to unlock my code every time I change something.

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:06:56 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Get an MSDN subscription through your employer.  Download any and every operating system and add in suite M$ puts out, with legal product keys for FREE.

That's what I did.  

Free for you, but somebody has to pay for the MSDN subscription....

Av.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:48:08 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Become a M$ partner

Order the annual action pack - $320

Get full licenses for just about all products for up to 5 PCs

https://partner.microsoft.com/us/40016455

Annual...is that Rent-A-Soft?

It is  

But, you get a TON of software and quarterly updates.

For instance:

Office 2003 professional - $500
Visio professional - $500
XP pro - $300
Mappoint - $300

etc....

You get all that, and tons more, continually updated.  Five licenses.  It's a steal especially if you want to keep your software current.

Now, I'm no M$oft fan, just the opposite.  But if you have to have the crap, you may as well get it as cheap as possible.

It /sounds/ good, but I generally build a system and stick with it for about five years.  By three years in, I doubt my hardware will run the updated software.

Jim
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 3:35:59 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

So what do they consider a new machine?
 A new harddrive? that's where the software resides
 A processor? that's the engine
 ect,ect

Last time I talked to the rep. they said the mother board was considered a new machine. I was pretty ticked about that. I had it out with a woman at Microsoft, told her that it was BS that I can't replace a damaged part and that the software was basically null and void. She would not reactivate the computer for me so I hung up on her and called right back and talked to someone else and they activated it. That was before they went into detail describing what was considered a "new" computer and OEM licensing.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:39:53 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Hell, according to the EULA, it can onlly run on one processor per computer. Does that mean that you cannot use it on a dual processor computer, since they would run at the same time?

I thought Pro supported dual processors?
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:11:31 AM EDT
[#7]
For future reference, here are some internet price guides:

Active Compare
Bizrate
NexTag
PriceGrabber
ResellerRatings
Shopping.com

FWIW, ReselllerRatings.com is pretty cool because you can review comments and ratings other people have posted so you won't get burned.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:41:02 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Wow imagine how much more  money Microsoft would have if all the "illegals" were paying for the "stolen" intellectual property.

I have a friend that works for microsoft  and yes we have loaded up to 5 computers with no problems. I'm even running their corporate anti virus and firewall on my home computer.

And if I had to buy XP my price is $30.

Are you talking about a standard XP Home or Pro retail version of XP?

Any software I get from him is $30, If I have to buy it. Most of the time he is like, do you have this, I say no. Here try this. Those cost me $0. I was buying Xbox games for $10. And he just gave me some programs awhile back that ran $900 at compusa, just give it to me. It's nice having friends at microsoft. They have an e store and they are allowed so many dollars a year to buy whatever.
And when they are beta testing some software, we always get them for nothing just for the imput.

Edit to add: I'm not saying it can't be done under the proper set of circumstances, I am saying it's usually illegal. I also found a complete link that shows the End User Licensing Agreement for EVERY Microsoft product. It tells in detail but you must have Adobe Reader.www.microsoft.com/legal/useterms/default.aspx

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:52:55 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
It /sounds/ good, but I generally build a system and stick with it for about five years.  By three years in, I doubt my hardware will run the updated software.

Jim

Good point.  It saves me $$$ because I have 5 active systems that I have running and they all need software.  Just shelled out a TON to Symantec for a 5-user license.  
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 8:03:21 AM EDT
[#10]
get a friend at a state college where they get it for like $15.        someone has to have said that by now, but just incase they didnt, there you go.

now back to studying..
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 12:52:15 PM EDT
[#11]
You can pick up an OEM copy off ebay with a broken piece of hardware in the box (to qualify for OEM license) for about $50 or so.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 12:54:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the info guys. I'm all set once again.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top