BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:41:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The coastal fault lines will kill more people. There's just no way around it.

New Madrid will have a bigger and longer lasting affect in the US as a whole. Imagine no commerce crossing the Mississippi River for a good amount of time. Everything between the Ozarks and the river is going to be a sandy slushy mess. Lots of rice and soy bean fields destroyed for a harvest or two.

View Quote

because rice and soy bean fields being destroyed for a harvest or two will have a far greater economic impact than Boeing, Starbucks, Microsoft, Google, Amazon, Uber, awwww fuck it no point in continuing the long list

California is a liberal shit hole, an Seattle isn't far behind, but the amount of commerce and money made here is staggering in comparison to the rest of the country.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:42:26 PM EDT
[#2]
If the New Madrid fault cuts loose with an earthquake on the same scale as what it did two hundred years ago life in the US will profoundly change for a very long time. It could easily be one of the worst natural disasters in the history of modern civilization
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:43:50 PM EDT
[#3]
The rest of the world will send us a card that says get well soon (but there won't be any money in it).
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:44:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:44:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Statistics indicate an equal likelihood of everything east of the fault sliding into the Atlantic Ocean.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
California slides into the ocean.

Like the mystics and statistics say it will.

Statistics indicate an equal likelihood of everything east of the fault sliding into the Atlantic Ocean.

Well, wouldn't that be a kick in the balls?
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:48:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Who knows.........that shit could be biblical.
View Quote

Dr. Peter Venkman: This city is headed for a disaster of biblical proportions.
Mayor: What do you mean, "biblical"?
Dr Ray Stantz: What he means is Old Testament, Mr. Mayor, real wrath of God type stuff.
Dr. Peter Venkman: Exactly.
Dr Ray Stantz: Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling!
Dr. Egon Spengler: Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes...
Winston Zeddemore: The dead rising from the grave!
Dr. Peter Venkman: Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:49:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
New Madrid may not even be a place of concern anymore. The land doesn't move anymore.

From wiki

View All Quotes
Quoted:
New Madrid may not even be a place of concern anymore. The land doesn't move anymore.

From wiki

The lack of apparent land movement along the New Madrid fault system has long puzzled scientists. In 2009, two studies based on eight years of GPS measurements indicated that the faults were moving at no more than 0.2 millimeters (0.0079 in) a year.[24] This contrasts to the rate of slip on the San Andreas Fault, which averages up to 37 mm (1.5 in) a year across California.[25]

On March 13, 2009, a research group based out of Northwestern University and Purdue University, funded by the United States Geological Survey, reported in the journal Science and in other journals that the New Madrid system may be "shutting down" and that tectonic stress may now be accumulating elsewhere.[24] Seth Stein, the leader of the research group, published these views in a book, Disaster Deferred, in 2008. Although some of these ideas have gained some amount of acceptance among researchers, they have not been accepted by the National Earthquake Prediction Evaluation Council, which advises the USGS.[26]

In the November 5, 2009, issue of Nature, researchers from Northwestern University and the University of Missouri said that due to the lack of fault movement, the quakes along the faults may only be aftershocks of the 1811–1812 earthquakes.
[27]

According to the USGS, there is a broad consensus that the possibility of major earthquakes in the New Madrid Seismic Zone remains a concern, and that the GPS data do not provide a compelling case for lessening perceived earthquake hazards in the region. One concern is that there is no evidence of reduced earthquake frequency over time, as would be expected if all present-day activity were caused by aftershocks of the 1811–1812 events; another is that the 4,500-year archaeological record of large earthquakes in the region is more significant than ten years of direct strain measurement. The USGS recently issued a fact sheet reiterating the estimate of a 10% chance of a New Madrid earthquake of magnitude comparable to those of 1811–1812 within the next 50 years, and a greater chance of a magnitude 6.0 earthquake in the same time frame.[12]

The San Andreas is less of a threat because it moves every year.  All the little moves make one huge movement unlikely.

New Madrid having not moved is a huge concern for a fault line that has moved every 150 years with consistency.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:54:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

because rice and soy bean fields being destroyed for a harvest or two will have a far greater economic impact than Boeing, Starbucks, Microsoft, Google, Amazon, Uber, awwww fuck it no point in continuing the long list

California is a liberal shit hole, an Seattle isn't far behind, but the amount of commerce and money made here is staggering in comparison to the rest of the country.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

New Madrid will have a bigger and longer lasting affect in the US as a whole. Imagine no commerce crossing the Mississippi River for a good amount of time. Everything between the Ozarks and the river is going to be a sandy slushy mess. Lots of rice and soy bean fields destroyed for a harvest or two.

All those companies may lose headquarters and infrastructure if the San Andreas goes big.  They are distributed otherwise, though, so the long-term impact will be relatively small.  Additionally, California has built with earthquakes in mind so the buildings are going to be more resistant, with less loss of life and overall damage.  I don't think it will be all that bad for California.

None of those tings apply in the Midwest.  If all the east-west bridges in the middle of the continent are down then significant commerce must be diverted to any remaining bridges.  I could see POV traffic being limited, with commercial traffic being given exclusive access to those bridges.  Expect there to be some new ferries that pop up for a few years.

Also expect that we could lose New Orleans or rather the shipping areas near there.  I think it is possible that the Mississippi could finally succeed in overcoming our best efforts to keep it from changing course down in LA.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 2:00:17 PM EDT
[#9]
The 7.9 Fort Tejon quake on the San Andreas fault in 1857 moved 220 miles of fault 15 feet.
The area is near Los Angeles. Historically it slips there every 150 years +/-, so is overdue.
Two died in 1857. Today, thousands could perish.

Fort Tejon quake
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 2:08:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 2:14:06 PM EDT
[#11]
No more Graceland?
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 2:22:33 PM EDT
[#12]
New Madrid would be bad.........very, very bad. The highest magnitude earthquake on record happened here and nothing is built withstand quakes in this area.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 2:24:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Either a hilacious homeowners insurance rate incease or cancellation all together.
View Quote

New Madrid letting go big today would result in a lot of insurance companies breathing a sigh of relief because nobody has quake insurance here.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 2:26:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 2:27:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
When New Madrid goes again (it is overdue) it will love St. Louis tenderly, like a Marine in Bangkok on leave from Vietnam taking the first hooker he sees.

Memphis will lose every building over 3 stories, nothing of downtown will remain after the Mississippi washes it clean.  

Not out of the realm of possibility that we see severe damage as far off as Nashville, Little Rock, Louisville.  Not world-ending for those places, but they will hurt.

I will be on State Active Duty for over a year, I should think.

This is the scenario that Kentucky Emergency Management practices for every year.
View Quote

i'll have all the OT I could ever want for a long time.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 2:27:49 PM EDT
[#16]
They are already 'cutting loose' - it's just a slow process that takes a very long time.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 2:28:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

New Madrid letting go big today would result in a lot of insurance companies breathing a sigh of relief because nobody has quake insurance here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Either a hilacious homeowners insurance rate incease or cancellation all together.

I have quake insurance.  If it does snap a lot of people will be trapped because their vehicles are not capable of off road driving and there are thousands of small bridges in the area.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 2:29:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

From wiki

View All Quotes
Quoted:

From wiki

The lack of apparent land movement along the New Madrid fault system has long puzzled scientists. In 2009, two studies based on eight years of GPS measurements indicated that the faults were moving at no more than 0.2 millimeters (0.0079 in) a year.[24] This contrasts to the rate of slip on the San Andreas Fault, which averages up to 37 mm (1.5 in) a year across California.[25]

On March 13, 2009, a research group based out of Northwestern University and Purdue University, funded by the United States Geological Survey, reported in the journal Science and in other journals that the New Madrid system may be "shutting down" and that tectonic stress may now be accumulating elsewhere.[24] Seth Stein, the leader of the research group, published these views in a book, Disaster Deferred, in 2008. Although some of these ideas have gained some amount of acceptance among researchers, they have not been accepted by the National Earthquake Prediction Evaluation Council, which advises the USGS.[26]

In the November 5, 2009, issue of Nature, researchers from Northwestern University and the University of Missouri said that due to the lack of fault movement, the quakes along the faults may only be aftershocks of the 1811–1812 earthquakes.
[27]

According to the USGS, there is a broad consensus that the possibility of major earthquakes in the New Madrid Seismic Zone remains a concern, and that the GPS data do not provide a compelling case for lessening perceived earthquake hazards in the region. One concern is that there is no evidence of reduced earthquake frequency over time, as would be expected if all present-day activity were caused by aftershocks of the 1811–1812 events; another is that the 4,500-year archaeological record of large earthquakes in the region is more significant than ten years of direct strain measurement. The USGS recently issued a fact sheet reiterating the estimate of a 10% chance of a New Madrid earthquake of magnitude comparable to those of 1811–1812 within the next 50 years, and a greater chance of a magnitude 6.0 earthquake in the same time frame.[12]

We have had small quakes recently. Several over the last few years so something around here is moving.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 2:30:03 PM EDT
[#19]

Kim Jong Il: It will be 911 times 2356.

Chris: My God, that's... I don't even know what that is!

Kim Jong Il: Nobody does!
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 2:38:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 2:38:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I predict this hotel will be standing... until I pay my bill.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
California slides into the ocean.

Like the mystics and statistics say it will.

I predict this hotel will be standing... until I pay my bill.

Warren, is that you?
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:02:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:25:18 PM EDT
[#23]
That'll be the day I go back to Annandale

Quoted:
California tumbles into the sea...
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:33:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Things would suck for while, then they would get better.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:34:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I've read that it would be game over if the New Madrid erupted. Most of the bridged that truckers use crossing the country would be taken out and grocery stores only have a three day inventory. It would take a lot longer than three days to fix enough of the bridges.

It would be looting, murders, and fire in the streets.

And cats and dogs like going together.
View Quote

....and many ARF.commers would rise from their mom's basement to fap in unison
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:37:48 PM EDT
[#26]
This is a great book on a New Madrid quake in modern times if it happened now.

Awesome read

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:39:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Sounds like maybe we could make La Raza happy and give them Kommiefrnia and most of the west coast.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:40:51 PM EDT
[#28]
People would stop the insanity of building atop known faults and building homes on barrier islands, and expecting government to bail them out when disaster inevitably follows.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:46:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

+1 always carried it and the insurance guy always acts like I am crazy since I live in central Illinois.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I will find out just how good my earthquake rider on my homeowners policy is....

+1 always carried it and the insurance guy always acts like I am crazy since I live in central Illinois.

Yup people look at me like I am nuts for having that rider, but with all the activity OK has had the last couple years I decided t was worth it. May never need it but its there if I do.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:49:18 PM EDT
[#30]

If the government casualty estimate is 3 million...

Real casualties probably 350 people

Real injuries probably 3000 people

Real injuries if you include PTSD and possibility of litigation money 4 million people.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:50:55 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View Quote

The insurance companies would most likely go under, file bankruptcy and be restarted. The federal government would be stuck with the bill for recovery.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:52:49 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Getting across the Mississippi by vehicle would be impossible for a long while.  They'd have to barge supplies in...assuming they had a serviceable port.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I've read that it would be game over if the New Madrid erupted. Most of the bridged that truckers use crossing the country would be taken out and grocery stores only have a three day inventory. It would take a lot longer than three days to fix enough of the bridges.

Getting across the Mississippi by vehicle would be impossible for a long while.  They'd have to barge supplies in...assuming they had a serviceable port.

Assuming the Mississippi stays anywhere nears its current course too.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:59:29 PM EDT
[#33]
FEMA says your fooked:

The most damaging scenario earthquake is a repeat of the 1906 San Francisco magnitude 7.9 earthquake. It would rupture all four segments of the Northern San Andreas Fault and cause nearly $84 billion of total economic loss, mostly building-related. It would kill 1000 to 4000 people, displace nearly 64 thousand households, and generate 23 million tons of debris. It would cause at least moderate damage on nearly 700 locations of highway bridges, 7 locations of airports, 6 schools, and over 343 thousand buildings.
View Quote

source

ETA: but if it makes you feel any better, SLC would be pretty screwed up too.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 4:04:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Bootheel.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There is a huge lake system and documented reports as the aftermath the last time New Madrid let go in a big way.  Next time millions will be affected directly.

Bridges from St. Louis to Memphis would fall down, not just close.  There are two ferries between St. Louis and the lower end of the boothill.

I had a dream about a volcano rising up near New Madrid.  It was tall enough to see from St. Louis and had snow cover at the top after just a few days.  Made a beautiful sight in my dream.

Bootheel.

Boot heel, bruh.  
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 4:05:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

This.  Just saw a story on this last night.  Even with a 7.9 (the highest possible with the San Adreas fault) they estimate 1800 dead and some cracking but not huge chasms or the state falling into the sea.  Apparently all the big buildings have been successfully modded and constructed.

And no tsunamis, the quake has to occur at sea for a tsunami.  2012 and San Andreas lied!!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
San Andreas isn't the big risk.

The big risk is the Juan de Fuca plate under Oregon.  

Shallow subduction angle and long period of dormancy.

When it slips again, the resulting earthquake will be a lot more like the devastating Chile or Alaska quakes.

In Alaska, the quake was so massive that solid ground liquified and entire floors of buildings just sank into the ground.

This.  Just saw a story on this last night.  Even with a 7.9 (the highest possible with the San Adreas fault) they estimate 1800 dead and some cracking but not huge chasms or the state falling into the sea.  Apparently all the big buildings have been successfully modded and constructed.

And no tsunamis, the quake has to occur at sea for a tsunami.  2012 and San Andreas lied!!!

Isnt the JDF plate under the sea off the coast of Oregon?
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 4:08:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Magnatude 9.2.

1964:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1964_Alaska_earthquake
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In Alaska, the quake was so massive that solid ground liquified and entire floors of buildings just sank into the ground.

what was the date of that one?

Magnatude 9.2.

1964:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1964_Alaska_earthquake

thanks brother; off to wikipedia I go.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 4:12:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Don't know about out west but things are going to get sporty in Memphis ifwhen the New Madrid lets go.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 4:14:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
When I was stationed at Norton AFB in San Bernardino, the disaster preparedness folks told us over and over that if the San Andreas let loose, San Bernardino would pretty much cease to exist.  
View Quote

Well, the San Andreas does run pretty much right through the place.  The I-215/I-10 interchange is built right on top of it as the fault is marked by the Cajon Wash coming down out of Cajon Pass.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 4:17:43 PM EDT
[#39]
If the new madrid fault goes, I am screwed where I live.  There is nowhere save that I could bug out to where I wouldn't have to try to cross a bridge.  I figure that most if not all of them would come down if the fault let go like it did in the 1800's.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 4:20:59 PM EDT
[#40]
The ultimate trifecta would be Yellowstone, San Andreas, and Madrid all at once.....
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 4:23:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Y'all have them every other day on average. That is one of the reasons it is less likely there will be a really big one.

Don't take my word for it. look past the doomsday sites and see what the real info says.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

From wiki

[27]

We have had small quakes recently. Several over the last few years so something around here is moving.

Y'all have them every other day on average. That is one of the reasons it is less likely there will be a really big one.

Don't take my word for it. look past the doomsday sites and see what the real info says.

That could be. I was just disputing the claim that the land was no longer moving.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 4:24:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Does anyone really know what affect this would have?  I'm pretty sure some people would die, global warming would be blamed and my taxes would go up.
View Quote

Some of the free state people
here will cheer when California drops.....

They New Madrid....

Utter destruction.. Home not earthquake resistant.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 4:25:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
People would stop the insanity of building atop known faults and building homes on barrier islands, and expecting government to bail them out when disaster inevitably follows.
View Quote

Probably not. Lots of idiots building big fancy homes on flood plains here because it has a pretty view of the rivers.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 4:26:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Homeowners policies explicitly exclude losses caused by earthquakes.  If your house gets shaken apart you had best pray that it catches on fire too.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Homeowners policies explicitly exclude losses caused by earthquakes.  If your house gets shaken apart you had best pray that it catches on fire too.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

It would.  
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 4:27:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
The rest of the world will send us a card that says get well soon (but there won't be any money in it).
View Quote

Sad but true.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 4:28:35 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

View Quote

Where do you think food is grown?

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 4:28:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
San Andreas isn't the big risk.

The big risk is the Juan de Fuca plate under Oregon.  

Shallow subduction angle and long period of dormancy.

When it slips again, the resulting earthquake will be a lot more like the devastating Chile or Alaska quakes.

View Quote

is that the one that went off in the 1800s and  caused a 50 ft drop and ground liquefaction etc
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 4:35:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Lol. You don't know near as much about farming as you think you do.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol. You don't know near as much about farming as you think you do.

I don't know shit about farming, but we're speaking from an economic standpoint.

It's popular on here to talk shit about these liberal hell holes like Seattle and California but California's economy alone is 2.3 Trillion which is roughly 23 times what Mississippi's is. You can't just take the largest economic (not to mention Seattle and Portland) producers out of the US and assume that won't have a substantial impact on the rest of the country.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 4:36:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
When New Madrid goes again (it is overdue) it will love St. Louis tenderly, like a Marine in Bangkok on leave from Vietnam taking the first hooker he sees.

Memphis will lose every building over 3 stories, nothing of downtown will remain after the Mississippi washes it clean.  

Not out of the realm of possibility that we see severe damage as far off as Nashville, Little Rock, Louisville.  Not world-ending for those places, but they will hurt.

I will be on State Active Duty for over a year, I should think.

This is the scenario that Kentucky Emergency Management practices for every year.
View Quote

From what I have read in the past " for what it's worth " the Madrid quake rang church bells in Boston

So if the ground is rolling that bad ..... The high rise buildings in downtown Louisville will collapse & the elevated highway around town would collapse also.
The soil around that area is really not suited for earthquake stuff if you will & I'm pretty sure the buildings are not up to earthquake code.

If the event happened during a high water event I.E. alot of spring rain etc. & the city has the flood gates closed in downtown & in western Jefferson county. Well it's a pretty sure bet the the damn which is located in downtown Louisville would collapse & the poor souls who live in the west end & western part of Jefferson county would drown without pretty much no warning what is headed for them.

Ad to that the bridges that are a main transport for going north to south " I - 65 " would collapse also.
We also have a new east end bridge which would connect to I - 71 " still under construction " would cease to exist also.

Depending on where you are on " that " day ....

You may be fucked .....
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 4:41:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm pretty much screwed.  Best I can hope for is it happens when the wife and are home.

That said, there are tons of micro-quakes in this area.  University of Memphis recorded over 100 last year.  IMO, this eases any buildup in the fault.

Having lived in Northwest Tn most of my life, I've seen plenty of old damage pics the 1890s quake did. Giant sand geysers shooting out of farmland.  Pics of the river "boiling".  Written history describes entire towns that disappeared off bluffs on the MS river, islands swallowed up, dry land moving like waves on a lake.  We're all living on river loam and sand...soil liquefaction will destroy pretty much all standing structures.  Also, as someone else put it, there are tons of streams where I live that require bridges to cross...If they went down it'd be difficult to go anywhere.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top