Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/2/2013 4:41:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Depends. How handy are you?

I turned a spare bedroom into a master bath complete with a walk in marble shower, separate toilet enclosure, tub the size of a small swimming pool and his and hers walk in closets for a little over $10k. That was just the cost of materials with me doing all of the labor other than the plumbing which a plumber friend did for beer and as repayment for taping and mudding the sheet rock in his basement a few years ago. I can't imagine what a contractor would have charged but I'm sure it would have easily been four times that amount.
Link Posted: 9/2/2013 4:41:39 PM EDT
[#2]
10k?
Link Posted: 9/2/2013 4:43:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

wtf? are cold towels a problem? ive never heard of this before?

but yes, the rest of that could get pricey quick.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We stayed with friends over the weekend and they have a fancy walk in tiled shower with extra jets on the side and a bench with an additional handheld shower head in the back. Just curious what that runs. Oh heated towel rack too and heated floor tiles in another part of the house. Pretty cool

but yes, the rest of that could get pricey quick.

Heated towel racks and bathroom floors are better than steak and blowjobs. Imagine somebody handing you a towel that's fresh from the dryer whenever you step out of the shower.
Link Posted: 9/2/2013 4:48:19 PM EDT
[#4]
It was one of my fav things to design on our house. I'd have to pull the book to see what it costs exactly but I think somewhere around 12k. Includes a tv and sound. I love showers. We don't have a heated towel rack but we have a cabinet that heats them. That price includes a spa tub separate now that I think of it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2013 4:51:55 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Heated towel racks will change your life.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This.  Kind of like a Tempurpedic mattress; you'll hate traveling and not having it.

Link Posted: 9/2/2013 5:00:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
There are a lot if variables; type of tile, fixtures, glass work, extras like the towel rack you mentioned. We just finished building and our tile cost was included in the bathroom tile so I don't know the break out. I do know the glass work alone was a few grand for ours and we used natural travertine marble tile so it jacked the price up.   Some of the extras though are less than you think, we added heated floors and it was only like an extra $1200. I could easily see spending $5-10k.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a212/alexmartinjr/E38FEC99-0EE6-46D3-9A80-94C2CD05F840-528-00000020CB3C9EC9_zps64301ab6.jpg

I do have an octopus drain though
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a212/alexmartinjr/18D02002-67B6-4A52-8AE0-60D0C0CAD658-528-00000020F1F4EB0B_zps6b90983d.jpg
View Quote

That drain is sweet.  I wish I'd have seen that before they started on our tile

Agreed about the extra stuff being less expensive than you'd think.  You probably covered a big area with the heated floor for $1200.  I've put it down before and installation and wiring is trivial.  

I think our tile costs for the shower alone were right at $5k, but I get a pretty good discount on tile.  The rest of the bathroom floor is 5/4 reclaimed cypress.
Link Posted: 9/2/2013 5:00:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
There are a lot if variables; type of tile, fixtures, glass work, extras like the towel rack you mentioned. We just finished building and our tile cost was included in the bathroom tile so I don't know the break out. I do know the glass work alone was a few grand for ours and we used natural travertine marble tile so it jacked the price up.   Some of the extras though are less than you think, we added heated floors and it was only like an extra $1200. I could easily see spending $5-10k.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a212/alexmartinjr/E38FEC99-0EE6-46D3-9A80-94C2CD05F840-528-00000020CB3C9EC9_zps64301ab6.jpg

I do have an octopus drain though
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a212/alexmartinjr/18D02002-67B6-4A52-8AE0-60D0C0CAD658-528-00000020F1F4EB0B_zps6b90983d.jpg
View Quote

Not keen on the wallpaper but otherwise that's pretty sweet. I hate to think about cleaning all the glass though. I used Swanstone in ours. After seeing it used in other applications I decided it would make a nice and easy to maintain shower.
Link Posted: 9/2/2013 5:11:51 PM EDT
[#8]
I noticed the term "We", so should us horn dawgs assume "we" took a "shower" in said big shower and that is the reason to want one now?
Link Posted: 9/2/2013 5:21:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I had $3300 labor in this small bath. One of the key things to remember when working with water is proper construction methods and waterproofing. Build curbs and seats out of solid concrete where possible and waterproof everything.

Tile Contractor since the 70's

Link Posted: 9/2/2013 5:22:34 PM EDT
[#10]
The price of a setup like that is precisely why I'm glad I'm too damned busy to spend more than 5 minutes in the shower on a given day.

Here it'd probably run 5-10k. My wife's parents have a setup like that out in a ski town in Colorado. I can't imagine what they must have paid for it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2013 5:26:17 PM EDT
[#11]
our custom shower was about $3k, but we didn't do the side jets or any of that stuff.
I'm sure all the plumbing and electrical work for the towel rack would easily double the deal. Also, it was a side-job for a custom builder we know, who used it to give a couple of his guys something to do during a slow stretch, so he cut us some $lack.
Link Posted: 9/2/2013 5:27:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

So do you just poop on the floor and spray it down the drain?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hell with the right design, the toilet can be IN the shower. Plot Twist: The entire bathroom is one giant shower, with multiple spigots that comes out of the ceiling like a rotating disco ball.

And, has the self cleaning feature.  Close the bathroom door, hit the button and in an hour your bathroom is spotless.

that sounds handy. I have to stomp my deuces thru the drain grate.
Link Posted: 9/2/2013 5:28:24 PM EDT
[#13]
If you're like me and know very little about that kind of stuff.... It will shock you.
Link Posted: 9/2/2013 5:41:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hell with the right design, the toilet can be IN the shower. Plot Twist: The entire bathroom is one giant shower, with multiple spigots that comes out of the ceiling like a rotating disco ball.

And, has the self cleaning feature.  Close the bathroom door, hit the button and in an hour your bathroom is spotless.

Savage.

Just pick it up and toss it in the commode like civilized people.
Link Posted: 9/2/2013 5:52:42 PM EDT
[#15]
My old job put me up in a nice hotel for a week, the room that was booked was usually saved for guests in a wheelchair as the bathroom and the rest of the room was very spacious. The bathroom had a nice tiled walk-in shower. No curb to step over or anything. I couldn't believe how amazing it felt to just walk right in.

Link Posted: 9/2/2013 5:54:40 PM EDT
[#16]
One million dollars
Link Posted: 9/2/2013 5:56:16 PM EDT
[#17]
I looked at a place that had a walk in shower that could fit at least a cheer leading squad. Thing was huge.
Link Posted: 9/2/2013 5:58:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
our custom shower was about $3k, but we didn't do the side jets or any of that stuff.
I'm sure all the plumbing and electrical work for the towel rack would easily double the deal. Also, it was a side-job for a custom builder we know, who used it to give a couple of his guys something to do during a slow stretch, so he cut us some $lack.
View Quote

We had a custom walk-in added to our house plan. It is pretty basic as well. We have a bench and built-in shelves, but no rain head, or extra nozzles. If I had to do it over again, we would have added an extra shower head. The bench is nice though and does get used.
Link Posted: 9/2/2013 6:01:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I looked at a place that had a walk in shower that could fit at least a cheer leading squad. Thing was huge.
View Quote

I remember watching a show, about unusual homes, a few years ago. One of the houses featured was a former schoolhouse. The bathroom was the old boys locker room., with showerheads for a dozen or so people. Pretty kick ass actually.
Link Posted: 9/2/2013 6:18:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I remember watching a show, about unusual homes, a few years ago. One of the houses featured was a former schoolhouse. The bathroom was the old boys locker room., with showerheads for a dozen or so people. Pretty kick ass actually.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So in theory you could shower at home with dozens of school boys? Jerry Sandusky must have rehabbed that place.
Link Posted: 9/2/2013 7:03:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

So in theory you could shower at home with dozens of school boys? Jerry Sandusky must have rehabbed that place.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well yeah.... Isn't that every guy's fantasy?

Seriously though, my wife is always pulling the nozzle away, as I'm rinsing shampoo outta my hair. She needs her own nozzle, lol.
Link Posted: 9/2/2013 8:42:15 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

The force and flow is nowhere near what we were used to, thanks to .gov regulations.
View Quote

Nearly all new shower heads with flow restrictors can be fixed in a matter of seconds with needle nose pliers.  Barring that, there is a reason god invented power drills.

Link Posted: 9/3/2013 2:33:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Nearly all new shower heads with flow restrictors can be fixed in a matter of seconds with needle nose pliers.  Barring that, there is a reason god invented power drills.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The force and flow is nowhere near what we were used to, thanks to .gov regulations.

We were told, by the builder, that the new heads aren't as easy to fix. Used to just pull a plastic restrictor out. What do you do to the new ones? I'm ok with our pressure, but just curious.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 2:46:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Well according to the quote I have it will cost me  close to $15k...

I don't have side jets or anything like that but it's tile up to the ceiling, a rain head with hand held, floor to ceiling glass, 48" wainscoting in tile around the bathroom, new dry wall as needed, new plumbing and so on.

Heated towel racks cost from $500-$1300.

My bathroom is small, about 6x10 and is the only one in the house but that's another project...

Work starts in October.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 6:03:41 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You know I thought it was BS when the guy at home depot told me if you drill out the hole in the water restriction it's a violation of federal law on water conservation?

I had asked him about the flow rate and told him I'd just take out the restrictor ?

Being that the govt does such crazy laws you never know?

I have a well, I am not hooked up to any reservoir where my use impacts others, WTF

Link Posted: 9/3/2013 6:04:42 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I don't have side jets or anything like that but it's tile up to the ceiling, a rain head with hand held, floor to ceiling glass, 48" wainscoting in tile around the bathroom, new dry wall as needed, new plumbing and so on.

My bathroom is small, about 6x10 and is the only one in the house but that's another project...

Work starts in October.  

View Quote
I don't know what you're getting but thats a lot of money for a small bathroom

Link Posted: 9/3/2013 6:13:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Work starts in October.  

yeah I know... This may not have been a good number to give to Aimless as they're practically gutting the bathroom except for the floor. After getting three quotes, they were the middle one and had good refrences from friends of mine. I've been burned by going with the lowest bidder in the past and am really picky now about who I use for projects that I can't do myself.

I suppose the other issue is that I'm dealing with a 1946 home that hasn't been remodeled.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 6:24:39 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

6-10 than depending of course on the details. Less if they did the work themselves.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
With marble, it can easily be 20K if done up nice.
Um it was tile but not marble.  

6-10 than depending of course on the details. Less if they did the work themselves.

I'm thinking along this line too. Considering nice tile, a heavy frameless door and enclosure, and the fixtures & accessories.

Obviously the number can go up depending on the tile, size of shower, and other finishes but I would say that $6K to $10K would be the minimum.

Link Posted: 9/3/2013 6:27:01 AM EDT
[#29]
We do walk through showers (no doors) and larger showers, in some houses on the side, kinda like some car washes is how they look to me.  I will try to remember to grab some pics.  Start around 8,000 and go to about 35,000 depending (varies by region) on what we have used.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 6:28:31 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
yeah I know... This may not have been a good number to give to Aimless as they're practically gutting the bathroom except for the floor. After getting three quotes, they were the middle one and had good refrences from friends of mine. I've been burned by going with the lowest bidder in the past and am really picky now about who I use for projects that I can't do myself.

I suppose the other issue is that I'm dealing with a 1946 home that hasn't been remodeled.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Work starts in October.  

This bathroom we did when we lived in jersey was a 1950's house and we did this for around 10K

Gutted it, used the small closet for the toilet and red western cedar on the walls and ceiling , The tub was around $1500.00

I regret not working a shower into the tub area.

" />

Link Posted: 9/3/2013 6:29:00 AM EDT
[#31]
How much money do you have?

I've worked on shower projects that have exceeded $50k, and have been as little as $4k for an all tile walk in.  That is just the shower, not the entire bathroom.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 6:30:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 6:37:23 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Ask Hielo.
View Quote
He he

Link Posted: 9/4/2013 6:54:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

BRILLIANT!

Also, I don't get why people want heated tile in some locales. The entire point of tile, to me, is the cold feeling on my feet. But then I live in warmer climes. During winter above the frost line I can definitely see the advantage
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 7:31:46 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

The Hotel Cecil in CA is like that.
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 7:40:33 AM EDT
[#36]
It's not an "overly nice" shower, but I turned this.

Into This

By doing this

Doing all the work myself, we spent ~$12k
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 8:03:09 AM EDT
[#37]
We did a door-less walk-in shower when we did our addition three years ago. I wanted to do a complete wet-room with a curbless shower, but being on the second floor complicated things and we needed to stay within our budget. I don't remember what the total for the bathroom was, but floor-to-ceiling tile adds up quickly, and we went with some pretty inexpensive tile.

Heated towel racks are great.So is having the toilet and sink completely off the floor. It makes it so much easier to keep clean.
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 10:25:32 AM EDT
[#38]
this thread is inspiring. i've got 3 bathrooms to redo at our house.

one is our master and we're looking at a walk in with no door, need to change the floorplan alot though and we haven't figured that all out yet.

Link Posted: 9/4/2013 10:52:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't get this idea

why is 6 shower head "luxurious"?

it almost seems like a novelty that an interior decorator dreamed up to seem luxurious

I'm not being contrary, I've just never been in a shower and wished that 6 shower heads were spraying me

actually there is a lot of stuff like that

like some people turn their focking AC down so low in the summer that it's actually unpleasant

the "more is better" idea at work
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 10:54:52 AM EDT
[#40]
Why own when you can rent?

Link Posted: 9/4/2013 11:10:47 AM EDT
[#41]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Um any pictures of said showering?

Thats HOT!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.limassollink.com/4images/data/media/10/penguin.jpg

Link Posted: 9/4/2013 11:22:43 AM EDT
[#42]
Keep in mind that the completely clear glass showers can be a bit of a pain to keep clean.  We had our master bathroom redone a few years ago with a "frameless" shower, which is basically clear glass with a few clips holding it together.  It does open up the bathroom more and make it look bigger, but you need to use a squeegee on most of the surfaces after every shower or the water/soap spots build up and become really noticeable.  We've tried RainX and a few other things, but there's no easy solution that I've found.  A dryer sheet works pretty well to clean the glass.

Also, no more privacy in the shower.  Your wife can see if you're peeing or washing your b-hole.
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 11:28:23 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
We stayed with friends over the weekend and they have a fancy walk in tiled shower with extra jets on the side and a bench with an additional handheld shower head in the back. Just curious what that runs. Oh heated towel rack too and heated floor tiles in another part of the house. Pretty cool
View Quote

How much money do you have?
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 11:35:39 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Arm and a leg when there's plumbing problems later.
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 12:44:39 PM EDT
[#45]
I just finished replacing a bathtub/shower combo, turning it into a walk in shower. It's a standard 5' bathroom, it cost $3500 in material for travertine shower/walls/floor, moen m-pact fixtures, new vanity and top, etc. I did 100% of the work except the glass, and upgraded everything in the entire bathroom. I'm a finish carpenter and had all the tools, and the price includes the wood for the cabinet, mirror and medicine cab. I doubt you could find anyone who could do what the OP suggests for less than 12k. The problem is nobody wants to spend 10k remodeling a shower, and not going the rest of the way remodeling the entire bathroom. It's all the little things that add up fast. It's alot of labor, ALOT of labor if you do it right. Cry once when doing tile showers, shitty work will show itself sooner or later.

Link Posted: 9/4/2013 1:49:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Keep in mind that the completely clear glass showers can be a bit of a pain to keep clean.  We had our master bathroom redone a few years ago with a "frameless" shower, which is basically clear glass with a few clips holding it together.  It does open up the bathroom more and make it look bigger, but you need to use a squeegee on most of the surfaces after every shower or the water/soap spots build up and become really noticeable.  We've tried RainX and a few other things, but there's no easy solution that I've found.  A dryer sheet works pretty well to clean the glass.

Also, no more privacy in the shower.  Your wife can see if you're peeing or washing your b-hole.
View Quote

Need something acid based. Still a pain in the ass. Hence me wanting NO glass, pure walk in if I ever get the chance.
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 1:59:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Warning:  When you have a shower that can fit 4-6 comfortably with showerheads on both sides, people are going to assume you are a kinkster.  It just goes with the territory.  Have a good sense of humor about the comments you are bound to receive.

View Quote

My parents have one but I have yet to fit more than three women in it with me.
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 2:03:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Truth.  It changed my whole perspective on shit.

Get a walk-in shower, it's worth the money.
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 2:06:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I'm trying to figure out how a bench is useful...
View Quote

Shower beers are better on a bench, relaxing in the shower takes on a whole new meaning,

I also don't need to fill up the whirlpool tub to blast my legs with super-hot water to relax after a roadmarch, rough workout or long day on my feet.
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 2:17:25 PM EDT
[#50]
I have a walk in that was part of the new  house we bought, not sure of the cost.
It does not have all the goodies you are asking about.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top