User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 8:20:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Oakley.

Great styles, great optics, and if you have any problems they warranty just about anything you can do to them (other than scratch the lenses).

Example:

My [i]sweat[/i] was turning a pair of X-Metals I own black, literally reacting electrically to the metal and turning it a different color.

Hardly their problem, right?
I called Oakley to see if it was possible to have them refinished, at my expense.

So what did they do? Let me talk to a guy in their Metallurgy (How many damn sunglass companies even HAVE a metallurgy dept????) who explained the process, and then they exchanged them for a pair of more expensive and chemically neutral Titanium frames, and even "tuned them up" with new rubber inserts and nose pads etc...while they had them. All in all, a fix that was not cost effective for them, and certainly wasn't their fault.

I'm forever a customer.

My shooting glasses are Oaks and they come with a variety of quick-change lenses to suit whatever the light, from clear lenses to the coolest of coatings,and they exceed ANSI reccomendations for imapct protection.

Downside is they ain't cheap and you'll never find them on sale unless they are fakes or the dealer is going out of business. Sale prices are a no no per the factory rep.

That said, I own several pairs and cannot recommend them enough.

RF
View Quote

I agree.  I have a pair of Oakley Julietts(titanium) and a pair of half jackets and I like them a lot better than the Bolle Paroles that I have.  I'm kind of a sunglasses junkie though...
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 8:22:34 PM EDT
[#2]
$15 Walmart special.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 8:22:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I got a pair of RayBans that I like...

Insurance paid for them, but they'd be $99 otherwise...
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 8:36:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
... Each summer I like to treat myself to a new pair of sunglasses. It's something I've been doing for years.
I'll research the new brands, comparison shop and usually zone in on a newer model. Eyeglass / sunglasses design is a competitve business and we reap the benefits.
The downside is that they are getting somewhat expensive but hey, what's your eyesight worth.

... One of my last summer purchases was the  [b]Oakley - X Metal XX[/b] (superb design) shown here:

[url]http://a1497.g.akamai.net/f/1497/14/1d/www.oakley.com/media/product/x_metal_xx/k24_k24_irid.jpg[/url]

... At about $325 a pair, you'll want to heed my longtime advice to friends:
[size=3][i][red]"On your Face or in the Case[/i][/size=3][/red]"

... This summer I'm looking into the [b]Oakley - Half Jacket FMJ[/b] like this one:

[url]http://a1497.g.akamai.net/f/1497/14/1d/www.oakley.com/media/product/half_jacket/fmj_556_black.jpg[/url]
View Quote

I just bought my second pair of Oakleys after my Black Gold/Gold Iridium Eye Jackets (the originals) walked off [:(!]

Now I have the Oakley Half Jackets with Fire lenses for my everyday and shooting.  Increased contrast, medium to bright light. Not as expensive as others ($110)
[img]http://a1497.g.akamai.net/f/1497/14/1d/www.oakley.com/media/product/half_jacket/metallic_blk_fire.jpg[/img]

I'm happy with them.  Almost got the XX or Straight Jackets, but I like the interchangeable lenses.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 8:42:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Damn, im starting to like those half jackets!

What do the different colored lenses look like when youre wearing them? Does your view look a lot like the color in the picture?
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 8:55:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Gargoyle Classics in light brown for GP use, and Black Ice for really bright days.  I can switch out the presciption insert and essentially have 2 pair of sunglasses for the price of one.  The only drawback is the scrip insert kinda restricts peripheral vision.  
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 9:26:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What do the different colored lenses look like when youre wearing them? Does your view look a lot like the color in the picture?
View Quote

No the different lens finishes do not make your view multicolored, they look just like plain black colored lenses do.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 10:06:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

No the different lens finishes do not make your view multicolored, they look just like plain black colored lenses do.
View Quote

Not entirely true.  You don't see multicolored, but there isn't as much blue as with the black lenses.  The Fire lenses have contrast enhancement, so the greens are greener, the blues are subdued, and things look sharper.  The G30 lenses are even better, but for low to medium levels of light.  The Gold Iridium lenses do the contrast enhancement for extremely bright light.  If you have an orange center dot on your target, it actually stands out a bit.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 1:51:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 2:02:18 AM EDT
[#10]
[img]http://www.wiley-x.com/eyewear/graphics/SG1.jpg[/img]

I wear prescription lenses, plus I wear a helmet when I ride. So these were perfect! Since the lenses swap out with no problem I got a pair of clear and one set of grey tint. I gotta say that these are the SHIT!!
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 2:27:50 AM EDT
[#11]
[img]http://www.mauijim.com/mjweb/public/images/lores/sngl/LQG402-02.jpg[/img]

Maui Jim Sports
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 7:19:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote
The Oakley web site has a great feature that shows you the transmission rates of different parts of the specturm for each color/coating.  Yes, what you see is tinted but it isn't too bad unless you go for something really out there.  I've got a pair with a bronzish tint that blocks a lot of blue spectrum.  They're cool for gloomy winter days because they sort of brighten everything and give a little bit of a yellowish tint that makes it seem like it's sunny.  I call them my 'happy day' glasses.  

My current daily glasses are some kind of Oakley 'wires' (can't remember which type) with black frames and grey lenses.

My wife has a pair of Maui Jims that are amazing.  I've never seen anything so amazingly clear.  
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 9:08:48 PM EDT
[#13]
If you like the name brands but not the prices go here for quality replicas:[url]http://www.anysunglasses.com/[/url] or [url]http://www.imposterwear.com/[/url] sorry no Oakleys. My wife ordered me a pair of The Matrix simulators a year or so ago and I was pleased with the quality. They also offer polycarbonates and all lenses have UV400 protection.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 9:52:28 PM EDT
[#14]
I like the Oakley line of glasses.  I got a pair of the Mumbo (M-frames) when they first came out in the early 90's.  I had them for about 4 years before the frame eventually broke.  I sent them back and got another pair, even after they were out of warranty.  The frame on the 2nd pair finally broke, but they would not replace them.  I wound up getting another pair, but lost them while at a party.  It had gotten dark and I put them on the bill of my hat.  I pulled my hat off while on the pier and they fell off into the water.  I found a pair of M-frames at work one day and wore them for a while until one of the legs broke.  

Now I wear a pair of $11 glasses that I got at Wal-Mart.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 10:56:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have worn a pair of Serengeti for years, I like them. [url]http://store.yahoo.com/shadesaver/serdrivgradm.html[/url]
View Quote

I wear Serengeti too.  I bought mine from Big 5 for $39.  Just wait for a sale on the style you like.  They have a couple pair on sale now for that price.  Go to Sunglass Hut and they are $135.

For me, just can't do the whole Oakley wrap around thing.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 11:59:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Smith & Wesson!
That is the only good thing they make this day and time.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 6:26:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Damn, im starting to like those half jackets!

View Quote

I had a pair of $25 dollar cheapo Harley Davidsion sunglasses that I wore to ride for years.  When I finally broke them I went for a pair of expensive Oakley's.

I got the Full Metal Jackets but found they didn't fit my face properly.  It seems many Oakleys are designed for ferret faces since they are more sharply angled than a normal human head.  This made them useless for me since I need a good seal so wind doesn't blow crap in or dry out my eyes while riding.

Anyway I took them back and bought a pair of Wiley-X's for less than 1/2 the price of the Oakley's.  Yes they are clearly cheaper, but I found them very similar optically.  The Wiley-X badges broke off after a while, but I still have them and wear them some.  

I temporarily lost those, and thinking they were gone for good, bought a pair of Smiths which is my primary pair now.  They are fine optially, stand up the my abuse and look good.

I use them for every day wear, riding and flying and find they work well for those diverse environments.  I'd say that Wiley's are proably the best bang for the buck, but the Smiths are a step better in quality and generally less expensive that Oakley's.  Someones gotta pay for all that marketing Oakley does.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 7:08:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
OK, Im looking into Oakley XX and Straight Jackets. How do these sound? Is the polarized lens worth the money? Both of these are in the military line also, whats the difference?
View Quote

Two of my seven pairs of Oakleys are Straight Jackets, and I have a pair of XX (Twentys) as well. The Straights are a bigger frame/lense coverage design, and IMO for shooting would offer more protection.

I have one pair of polarized lenses and they reduce glare like nobody's business. That said, I tend to wear non polarized more. I think it's a personal thing.

BTW, there is nothing at all special about the SI "military" line. They are simply the same black frames as the civvies with a black icon in the frame instead of a colored one and without a lens coating (Plain grey lens) to reduce refectivity. Unless you are going to wear these in a tactical environment,  IMO, the civvie lenses are better, as the coatings are Oakleys strong point.

Good Luck with whichever you decide on.

SG
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 7:58:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Oakleys

nothing else...
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 8:25:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I was king of the $10 sunglasses for years, through school, and after. Then a friend talked me into a pair of Revo's ($170.,pre Ray-Ban), and I wore then for 7 years!After they were too far gone, I bought  some regular Ray-Ban's, but they only lasted a week, and I had to have some new Revo's ($240). This pair are going on 3 years.
View Quote

You are so right. Revo sunglasses are unbelievably good. They are the folks who ocat the face shields for space helmets our astronauts wear. Outstanding. Get the blue mirrored lenses (they look slightly yellow form the inside, so improve contrast).
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 9:00:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Oakleys.

I went whitewater canoeing once. Our boat flipped in a chute and we all got thrown over board. I was wearing pro M frames and they stayed on my face even after being submerged and tossed down the chute. Since then, they were lost/stolen. Now I wear the XX's and love them. The only other sunglasses I would consider are the ones my wife wears, Arnette Swingers. Good price (around $80), good looking, comfortable, and crystal clear vision.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 9:43:36 AM EDT
[#22]
From a group of shooters, I'm really suprised to see so many Oakley fans.  The arms on Oakleys don't fit under earmuffs very well.

I've owned a few pairs of Oakleys over the years.  You can usually scratch the lenses with your thumbnail, and finding a pair of polarized lenses is very hard.

I'm now wearing a set of Maui Jim Titanium Sport (I forget the exact name) and will never buy another pair of Oakleys again.  

This is why -  This winter I was splashed with some grimy, salty road crud while walking on the sidewalk.  The salt and dirt dried into rock hard specks on the lenses that would not come off no matter what I tried.  Soaking them overnight didn't work or even soften the specks, rubbing them with a silk or cotton cloth didn't work either.  I thought they were ruined so I took a pot scrubber to them, fully expecting to buy a new pair.  But when I was finished the lenses looked brand new and didn't have a scratch on them.  Since that time they've been pulled off of my face and landed in gravel and on concrete a few times.  There still isn't a scratch on them.

Plus the arms are super thin and fit under my earmuffs perfectly.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 7:57:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
From a group of shooters, I'm really suprised to see so many Oakley fans.  The arms on Oakleys don't fit under earmuffs very well.
View Quote

Agreed.. I only wear high density plugs.. I hate the weight and sweat produced by muffs (hothead). Oakleys work great here.

Quoted:
I've owned a few pairs of Oakleys over the years.  You can usually scratch the lenses with your thumbnail, and finding a pair of polarized lenses is very hard.
View Quote

Agreed.. THAT is why I had [url=http://alpinetek.netfirms.com/oakley/]CUSTOM Polycarb Polarized Lenses cut for my Romeos and Juliets.[/url]
No scratches.. great view. I'm NEVER satisfied by simply buying something... always gotta make it "MINE", anyway.

I wish somebody would make something that would satisfy me without me having to do something to make it "work right" AND "look cool".
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top