Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 11:05:45 AM EDT
[#1]
I went to what is technically a public school in NYC. Unlike a neighborhood HS, though, you had to take an entrance exam to be admitted. The premise was that "academically gifted" students from all 5 boroughs were entitled to a premium education without having to pay private school tuitions.

Did it prepare me better for anything? Perhaps. As I have no basis for comparison over what [i]regular[/i] public schools or even private schools are like, I can't really say if it prepared me "better." But, FWIW, I can say it was a fairly rigorous acadmic program.
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 11:42:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Unfortunatley, it is easy to paint the whole public education system with the brush supplied by some poor large urban districts, or those that have bent to accomodate widely diverse population. On the whole, the majority of public school systems do a great job. I know people will compare our school systems with Japan and other countries where the population is homogenious but we still educate more people and to a higher degree than any other country.

I went to a very good lower middle class public high school and it still is. My wife went to a different very good public high school and it still is. My  sons go to a different public high school and it is a very good school and my wife teaches at a different public high school and it too is a very good school.

When saddled with all the extranious BS that public schools face, the US still has the best public education system in the world.

Link Posted: 4/23/2002 12:44:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Gosh, I don't really know what to say here. I've read all of the replys to the original question, and I haven't heard anybody say much of anything at all about the things that I most remember from high school;

1. The "Morning Prayer"

2. The Pledge of Aliegence

3. The "Pre-Game" prayer

4. The "Post-game" prayer

I graduated from a "public" high school way back there in the late '60's (We are glorius, We are great, Senior class of '68), but my son (a freshman, now age 15) goes to a private parochicial school. And "NO", we're not Catholic! He goes there simply because none of the four items listed above are now available in any of our local "public" schools. If that makes me, or my family, "wierd", then so be it.

If you too are "wierd", then you might enjoy hearig this, again. It's a bit slow in loading, but well worth the wait.

[url]http://www.geocities.com/dpaultx/reds_pledge.htm[/url]

JMHO . . . . Doug
View Quote

Didn't have prayer.  Did have pledge.  Only went to three or four football games while in High School so don't know if they did the prayer there.  Sometimes did do prayer in chorus though before we went on stage...
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 1:30:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I went to Ross S. Sterling in Houston.

It was great because racial equality wasn't where it is today(don't go there with flames unless you lived through busing in the late 60's, okay?).
Anyway, I was a white minority in a predominantly black high school. It gives me a different perspective on things. My peers in business often went to private schools to avoid busing and a diverse environment. I think I learned more by being in the melting pot and I'm glad I did.

Sterling Raiders, 1974 graduate
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 1:41:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I go to a PUBLIC University not a liberal arts college.
View Quote
Yes, I realized that.  I also go to a public university.  I was merely comparing the differing standards between various colleges within my university.
There is a clear distinction, I believe, between private and public schools and public schools in the north and west versus public schools in the south.
View Quote
That's a very good point.  All I have experience with are public and private schools in the midwest, where there isn't much difference from what I see.
I believe that a combination of a good education and having a grasp on the real world will create a very well-balanced adult!
View Quote
I agree.  I am one that believes an education itself must be balanced as well, and I have never heard of a school that can pull that off.  For someone to get a complete education I believe either they need to be homeschooled or they need to have the responsibility necessary to teach themself later on.  That is what i have been trying to do....  I am majoring in physics and computer science so I try to balance myself in whatever spare time I can find.  Besides doing things like reading history and philosophy (Pascal rules!) I have been attempting to teach myself latin.
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 7:45:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Public schools are the biggest joke. ... My kids will not attend public schools, and I will work 4 jobs to see to that if I have to.
View Quote
I wouldn't send kids to the private schools I went to. With the time it would take you to work 4 jobs, you could do some excellent home-schooling and spend time with your kids.
View Quote

A very good point and an option worth looking into, however my (hopeful) career in LE will probably be pretty prohibitive to this option.
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 9:39:28 PM EDT
[#7]
9th grade at public High School, 3 years at [red][size=5]Marine Military Academy[/size=5][/red]

[url]www.mma-tx.org[/url]

[marines]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top