User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 8:11:16 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nah, it's easy to make a XX0 total with only using 45lb plates. He's clearly put a lot of thought into this.

You're probably right. I wish I was awesome enough to make 90# jumps every time I bench....  

yeah, I'm about to start the 450/270/90 program by Bim Bendler. It's fuckin badass, man.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 10:05:52 AM EDT
[#2]
You guys are so mean.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 10:12:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
You guys are so mean.  

not really, I knew I would take flak for it, but I have hit a double body weight bench and I'm back over 4 raw and over 5 geared. 2.5's dont do shit

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 10:19:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
You guys are so mean.  

not really, I knew I would take flak for it, but I have hit a double body weight bench and I'm back over 4 raw and over 5 geared. 2.5's dont do shit

I spent about 20 minutes trying to dig up an article that I believe Wendler, Dan John or Dave Tate wrote that basically says the same thing.  If you're strong enough to add the 5(2.5) then you're strong enough to add 10(5).

I get where you're going with it.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 10:32:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You guys are so mean.  

I spent about 20 minutes trying to dig up an article that I believe Wendler, Dan John or Dave Tate wrote that basically says the same thing.  If you're strong enough to add the 5(2.5) then you're strong enough to add 10(5).

I get where you're going with it.  

yeah, I remember the article. 2.5's and less are for breaking records.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 10:35:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 10:36:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 10:45:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I don't know if that would have been Wendler with his insistence on method, but he does allow for deviance as well.

And I was not talking about adding five pounds, I'm talking about even making a "zero" number total. I dig what Eddy is saying, but I disagree. A 2.5lb plate more useless than a curl machine? Come on, man.

Maybe i'm jaded because they keep the stupid machines in the other area of my gym, but there are always 50 2.5s and I have to walk across the gym to find a 45. But as far as the smith machine, I do suspended pushups from the smith machine, and I can hang my bag on it. It's very useful
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 11:04:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I don't know if that would have been Wendler with his insistence on method, but he does allow for deviance as well.

And I was not talking about adding five pounds, I'm talking about even making a "zero" number total. I dig what Eddy is saying, but I disagree. A 2.5lb plate more useless than a curl machine? Come on, man.

You're right.  I think it was something Dan John wrote.  I believe it was in the article about the fact that if you're not flossing daily, you shouldn't be using supplements.

FWIW, I don't use 2.5's even on 5/3/1.  For instance if the weight calls for 410, then I'll go to 415 and calculate what reps I need from that weight  I know it's mostly personal but I feel like a complete douche putting 2.5's on multiple 45lb plates.

2.5's belong near the curl machine but not near a squat rack. Which I guess is why I'm always finding 2.5's in front of the 10's and 5's on the curl rack I use.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 11:20:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're right.  I think it was something Dan John wrote.  I believe it was in the article about the fact that if you're not flossing daily, you shouldn't be using supplements.

FWIW, I don't use 2.5's even on 5/3/1.  For instance if the weight calls for 410, then I'll go to 415 and calculate what reps I need from that weight  I know it's mostly personal but I feel like a complete douche putting 2.5's on multiple 45lb plates.

2.5's belong near the curl machine but not near a squat rack. Which I guess is why I'm always finding 2.5's in front of the 10's and 5's on the curl rack I use.

I do the same. No 2.5s for squats or deads....well not till I get 5 plates on the bar. I like the sound of 500
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 11:33:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 12:51:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Sometimes I'll use the 2.5s as chalks behind or in front of my deadlift stack if i find an uneven spot in the floor.

I'm also anal about following prescribed weights, etc. so I use the 2.5s quite frequently.

Hell, I'd use 1.25lb plates it I had them.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 1:42:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do the same. No 2.5s for squats or deads....well not till I get 5 plates on the bar. I like the sound of 500

The bar bends at that weight.  Watch yourself in the mirror.  You get to watch the bar flex.  It's like giving Newton the big middle finger.

Fuck Newton.  I hate that guy.    Oh and fuck gravity.  I hate that too.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 1:48:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 2:15:33 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You guys are so mean.  

Well, not everyone can bench double body weight so making a 5 pound jump and completing all reps makes whole lot more sense than putting 10 on and not completing reps.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 3:22:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The bar bends at that weight.  Watch yourself in the mirror.  You get to watch the bar flex.  It's like giving Newton the big middle finger.

Fuck Newton.  I hate that guy.    Oh and fuck gravity.  I hate that too.  

If the bars not bendin I'm just pretendin
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 3:52:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
You guys are so mean.  

Well, not everyone can bench double body weight so making a 5 pound jump and completing all reps makes whole lot more sense than putting 10 on and not completing reps.  

Or dont make the jump and do another rep at a lower weight.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 3:56:42 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You guys are so mean.  

And even if you do that, making that 10# jump the next time may still just be too much. Which is why the 2.5s make sense in some cases, and why claiming they are the most useless piece of equipment in the gym is absurd.

Link Posted: 1/8/2012 7:43:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
You guys are so mean.  

And even if you do that, making that 10# jump the next time may still just be too much. Which is why the 2.5s make sense in some cases, and why claiming they are the most useless piece of equipment in the gym is absurd.  

There is an argument to either side, but I haven't used them in over 10 years. They are useless to me.

Link Posted: 1/8/2012 7:46:48 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You guys are so mean.  

There is an argument to either side, but I haven't used them in over 10 years. They are useless to me.

Congrats.

They're not useless to everyone, unlike many of the machines that have been discussed here which ARE useless to everyone. That's why claiming the 2.5s are the most useless pieces of equipment in the gym is absurd.
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 8:33:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top