View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I haven't hit 50 yet so I am not well versed in Scotch.

Don't worry about it.
Scotch Snobbery knows no bounds.  

Shit gets carried away.   Next thing you know you have more bottles of Scotch than years on the Earth.

Busted.

And I'm 58.

I spoke too soon, I am just breaking even.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e308/rdxfusion/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps3687f0a7.jpg

I see you've been sticking to distillery offerings only, kinda wondering why you haven't delved into the independent bottlings?

Some of the most memorable drams I've ever had came from Cadenhead and Signatory, including some now closed distilleries, like my precious Port Ellen stash.

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 1:23:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I see you've been sticking to distillery offerings only, kinda wondering why you haven't delved into the independent bottlings?

Some of the most memorable drams I've ever had came from Cadenhead and Signatory, including some now closed distilleries, like my precious Port Ellen stash.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shit gets carried away.   Next thing you know you have more bottles of Scotch than years on the Earth.

Busted.

And I'm 58.

I spoke too soon, I am just breaking even.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e308/rdxfusion/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps3687f0a7.jpg

There are two indpendants in there.  A 30yo North British bottled by Duncan Taylor  and a 23yo   Bunnanhaibain bottled by A. D. Rattray.
I buy them when I can find them.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 1:40:58 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a old bottle of Chivas that was 12 years old when gifted to me in 1984. We finally opened it last year, it was very smooth! I still have a unopened bottle of whiskey from 84, it is a name brand like Seagrams if I recall.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 1:53:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Here ya go. Thank me by sending me a bottle.

http://dandm.com/clubs/single-malt-aficionados-club.html
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 2:02:56 AM EDT
[#5]
I just finished bottle of Glenfiddich 18.  It was wonderful stuff but I have to say I enjoy the Glenlivet 15 almost as much.  In fact I like everything Glenlivet puts out and Speyside Scotch's in general.  

If you really want to try something spectacular give the Poit Dhuhb 21 a try (pronounced potch goo) if you can find it.  I was a bit hung up on single malts and didn't realize that there are some incredible blended whisky's that deserve some attention.  Poit Dhuhb is a "Gaelic whisky" and IMO not as delicate as a speyside.  Its a bit more peaty but not smoky. Not an 18yr but I prefer it over any other whisky I've tried.

http://www.gaelicwhisky.com/shop.asp
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 3:36:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Lots of great choices posted so far, but i am still kinda partial to johnnie walker blue.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 6:02:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have a old bottle of Chivas that was 12 years old when gifted to me in 1984. We finally opened it last year, it was very smooth! I still have a unopened bottle of whiskey from 84, it is a name brand like Seagrams if I recall.
View Quote

The age of a scotch is so labeled from the age in a barrel. Further age in a barrel imparts more flavors from the wood. Age in the glass has no affect. If it did if have a basement fill of cheaper 10 year scotches, aging away.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 6:10:09 PM EDT
[#8]
The Balvenie 18 is going to cost you.
I may be wrong but I think they quit selling an 18yo.

The 17 is good though.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 6:20:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The Balvenie 18 is going to cost you.
I may be wrong but I think they quit selling an 18yo.

The 17 is good though.
View Quote

I bought a bunch of the Balvenie 12 year Doublewood when I spotted it in Sams club a few years back.  As in I bought them out of all13 bottles for I think it was around $35 per.  I can tell the difference between 18-25 year scotch and this stuff but I'm happy as a clam I got what I got.

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 6:50:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Macallan 18.
View Quote

This... A liquor cabinet without it is simply incomplete
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:20:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Glendronach 18.  Hard to find, but smoother than...  And worth every penny!
View Quote

Almost said this but value was not a factor.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:17:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Update OP.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:19:59 PM EDT
[#13]
You did good OP.  
It comes in a nice sexy gold box which is another plus.  
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top