Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 10:39:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

lol

Aggressive dogs being assholes off their owner's property need to be shot on sight. Sorry if that hurts your feels.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's not any different than shooting some dude who is mentally incompetent.

lol

Aggressive dogs being assholes off their owner's property need to be shot on sight. Sorry if that hurts your feels.

City folk don't really understand the danger that aggressive dogs represent. On top of that, they have heard stupid drivel about dogs being people all their life. Can't really blame them.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 10:42:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
not a cop, I've shot many dogs in defense of myself, livestock, etc.

standard: is it intending harm to you, or someone else, or your property?

shoot the damn thing.

You live far enough out of town, you'll occasionally run into feral dogs, sometimes packs of them.

I posted a story here about when it happened several years back, but I got surrounded by a pack of feral dogs, barking growling and such. It was kinda like that scene from collateral "yo homie, is that my briefcase?" but with dogs.

View Quote

<---Looks at his dog.  Wonders how to know what dog is thinking.

Yeah, yeah, I get your point though.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 10:42:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
We see a lot of stories about cops shooting dogs. I have encountered a lot of dogs in my lifetime and never had the need to shoot one. Anything under 40 pounds I pretty much laugh at. I have never seen the time that I couldn't handle them with anything more deadly than my foot. I once had a 100+ pound dog that was scary enough that, if he had been after me, I would have wanted a weapon -- but he didn't get aggressive unless someone was on his property when they shouldn't be, and his aggression was defensive, not offensive. If he had a problem with you, it was probably because you were fucking up somewhere.

I have run into big dogs owned by others that got aggressive, but always managed to handle the situation without gunfire. There probably are situations where I would shoot a dog, but I haven't run into one yet.

So what should the standard be for cops shooting dogs in what they claim is self defense?
View Quote

Non cops shoot a hell of a lot more dogs than cops do.  Plenty of country people around here will shoot a dog just for walking on their property.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 10:43:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't get it.  If a dog threatens me, I'm gonna shoot it's ass. Seems simple enough.  

Why is there a question?
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 10:44:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I don't get it.  If a dog threatens me, I'm gonna shoot it's ass. Seems simple enough.  

Why is there a question?
View Quote

Because if you shoot a Chihuahua you look kind of silly.

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 11:01:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Why is there a question?
View Quote

Because there is no good reason to kill someone's pet when you could handle the situation other ways.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 11:18:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Before I bought this place, I had an appointment with a builders agent at a model home in East Austin.  I got there only to see a note on the door saying he was out showing a house.  I turned around to go back to my vehicle and saw two pits walking on the sidewalk at about the same time they saw me and charged.  Luckily for me the model had a flight of stairs up to the front door and when one of the dogs latched on to my foot, I rolled of the rail.  I made to the Windstar and up onto the roof before the dogs caught up.  Some construction workers saw what happened and called the police.  When the cop drove down the street, he saw the dogs and got out of his car and they charged him with one of them getting his pants; that one got shot and the other ran off at the gunshot.  Predictably the owner (a very pretty blonde) said we didn't understand and her baby only wanted to play.

Needless to say I bought west of MoPac.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 11:37:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Because there is no good reason to kill someone's pet when you could handle the situation other ways.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why is there a question?

Shooting is faster then beating it to death. Threaten my children or livestock, it (man or beast) dies. Hell, I had the Sheriff call me because the wife was upset she "had" to kill three dogs attacking her foals. Don't piss Momma off
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 11:56:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why is there a question?

Nope. You got it exactly backwards. I have a responsibility to society to put down an animal that shows aggressive tendencies if it is not physically restrained. Only a matter of time before it hurts someone if I don't. Not even going to try "other ways".
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 11:58:40 PM EDT
[#10]
I was twice unhorsed and bit by the same GSD riding to work.  City and county animal control were utterly useless when I called them. I believe the owner had some connection to the PD.  Dog had bitten a couple other of my cycle commuter friends and had knocked down another bike causing broken bones.  Owners got a $100 fine and their names in the paper for that one. Here

I bought a Spyderco sheath knife that I fastened to my ruck strap.

I was 100% committed to killing that dog the next time he came onto the pavement, but I guess the fine and newspaper stories persuaded his owners to contain him. He's gone or dead, haven't seen him in a couple of years. Honestly, I'm glad I didn't have to kill him, people might have gotten ideas about me.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 12:01:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Nope. You got it exactly backwards. I have a responsibility to society to put down an animal that shows aggressive tendencies if it is not physically restrained. Only a matter of time before it hurts someone if I don't. Not even going to try "other ways".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why is there a question?

Trigger happy much?
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 12:21:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Trigger happy much?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why is there a question?

Trigger happy much?

Seeing as I haven't shot a single dog yet, it doesn't appear so. Did I hurt your feels?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top