Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:28:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:28:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:30:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What really puzzles me is the obsession a lot of people on ar15.com have with talking about the gays.

I think it's because they are closeted.

I've never understood how a guy who likes to go on dates with other guys is going to be the downfall of society.

The act of going on dates with another guy isn't the downfall of society, it's the voting in of politicians that support gay issues AND also have a hand in
some of the most awful liberal politics (marxism and destruction of the common man) that is the issue. AFAIK.

You really can't blame people for being disagreeable towards homosexuals when they act to vote in some of the most crazy people.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:34:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I've never understood how a guy who likes to go on dates with other guys is going to be the downfall of society.

The aids.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:34:55 AM EDT
[#6]
JFK voted against the Civil Rights Act as a US Senator (I think it was either 1956 or 1958).

He introduced a new Civil Rights Act as President and let the Congressional Democrats bog it down in committee, giving him the political capital to tell America, "I believe in the Civil Rights Act" without having to defy his own party and try to push it through.

JFK was assassinated and Johnson became President. Johnson truly believed in the Civil Rights Act, reintroduced it and it was quickly bogged down in Committee. Johnson used a lot of political maneuvering, went public with what Congress was doing, and with public pressure, Republican support, and support of a small group of Democrats was able to force it to a vote. Democrats tried to fillibuster the vote but were unsuccessful. The Civil rights Act passed, but 80% of Congressional Democrats voted against it.

This is what ended Johnson's political career.

The Democrats spent the last 45 years successfully convincing America's minorites that Republicans are racist. Republican programs, such as welfare reform, have sought to provide education, childcare, and job opportunites. Democrats have responded with a constant barrage of programs to keep minorities on welfare, destroy our public education sytem by letting the unions dictate how the system is run and preventing teacher certifications to ensure qualified teachers are in the classrooms, pushing Affirmative Action, which doesn't solve any of the problems minorities face, it just provides jobs to unqualified individuals, taking jobs from those who are qualified, and breeds contempt. Nothing solved. Obama has promised to repeal the welfare reform of the last 8 years.

There are racists everywhere, in both parties, but the nonstop allegations of racism against Republicans, and conservatives in general, is injected into every issue. Just look at the accusations of racism everytime somebody opposes Obama's policies and the debate over Sotomayer. All CNN and MSNBC could talk about was "how are the Republicans going to oppose her nomination without looking like racists", not about why they oppose her nomination. We just elected a black President and his black Attorney General called us "cowards" when it came to race issues. Liberal talk show host Mark Thompson called Michael Steele and Ken Blackwell "a couple of buck-dancing uncle Tom's". It never ends. MLK said, "I long for the day when a black man is judged by the content of his character, not the color of his skin", but the current laws make everything about the color of a man's skin. I'm white, my wife is Nicaraguan, and I make sure she puts our kids down as Hispanic on every form they have to fill out for school. I went through hell to get financial aid, as a veteran, supporting myself, not living with my parents, making $12,000/year (1992) I was told I made too much money to be eligible for grants. I drove to school every day with a friend who was Puerto Rican, living at home, making $17.00/hr working for Greyhound, and he got a free ride because of his minority status.  I graduated in 1995 and am still paying off my student loans.

This is a legitimate topic for discussion, though we need to keep it civil. There are good people on both sides of the fence, racism should be addressed as an issue to be resolved, not a weapon to be used for political gain.

"Nuff said.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:35:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
ARFCOM is not the problem.

I think the better question would be, "Why is America so obsessed with race?"

Slavery, jim crow, pro/anti immigration politics, the very fact that we're a nation of immigrants.

When the founding fathers decided that black people weren't human beings, they founded a country that would for a very, very, very long time have the color of one's skin be a very major issue.

Ahahahha, that is awesome you are blaming this on the Founding Fathers, true American patriots. The Foundings Father's choices don't impact the current situation in America as much as some people, who have resorted to creating cultures of victimization, and sticking to the government dole. Furthermore, the destruction of the plantation system created a class of people who had no occupation or anything. They had been raised in a framework where they were provided for everything, and one day that entire system came crumbling down, leaving them with no hope of doing anything, so certain people went in sharecropping (which is debatable if it is better or worse) and some people just collapsed, resulting in people on the government dole today. Whether or not you agree with the destruction of the plantation system, it was very unfair and even cruel to totally destroy someones entire existence in one day, a gradual process would have been better.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:36:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Seriously, why the infatuation?

Only a guess, but I would imagine that many people on the board are fed up with overly PC crap and virtually anything remotely offensive being called racist. It has come to the point that if you are white then you are racist, if you are straight then you are homophobic, and if you are male then you are sexist. This pisses many people off.

+1
QFT
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:36:58 AM EDT
[#9]
i call half white/half mexican people around here "mudlboods"

everyone laughs. i guess that makes me a lil racist. even though its harry potter humor
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:39:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Slavery, jim crow, pro/anti immigration politics, the very fact that we're a nation of immigrants.

When the founding fathers decided that black people weren't human beings, they founded a country that would for a very, very, very long time have the color of one's skin be a very major issue.

Ahahahha, that is awesome you are blaming this on the Founding Fathers, true American patriots. The Foundings Father's choices don't impact the current situation in America as much as some people, who have resorted to creating cultures of victimization, and sticking to the government dole. Furthermore, the destruction of the plantation system created a class of people who had no occupation or anything. They had been raised in a framework where they were provided for everything, and one day that entire system came crumbling down, leaving them with no hope of doing anything, so certain people went in sharecropping (which is debatable if it is better or worse) and some people just collapsed, resulting in people on the government dole today. Whether or not you agree with the destruction of the plantation system, it was very unfair and even cruel to totally destroy someones entire existence in one day, a gradual process would have been better.

I would argue that the founding fathers choices have the most profound affect on the current situation.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:41:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Oops. Seems TBS deemed my earlier post in this thread inappropriate. Sorry about that.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:41:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Years of PC brainwashing.  Only whites worry about wheather they are racists or not.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:42:23 AM EDT
[#13]
I agree with the posts that point out that America is obsessed with race, and this place is no different.

However, it goes further than that for some. Many don't like the idea of bundling issues together, and there's a defensive streak among many when it comes to guns and racism. If gun advocates are preceived by the rest of society as always holding other certain beliefs it becomes easier to mount attacks against the one single issue... I'm probably not saying that very well–– what I mean is, the general public would have a more friendly view of those who support gun rights if they understand that those folks aren't harboring views that will not be tolorated by the society at large (racism). I would like to form a culture where I can articulate my support for gun rights and not be automatically associated with a bunch of other nonsense. That would make it a lot easier to recruit more support for the 2nd among moderates and liberals; I'll take whatever support I can get!

There is simply no benefit by having the gun-loving community associated with racists, and that's where the defensiveness comes from...imho. Besides, people who judge people on the basis of their genetic makeup are fuckwits, and it's so easy to get them upset about stuff that doesn't matter...how can you resist?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:43:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Alright, I'll oblige you here. Go into this so called "theory" whereby you condemn the Founding Fathers, for creating this "racist" society.

I would argue that the founding fathers choices have the most profound affect on the current situation.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:44:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

This is very easy to understand but you have to have an open mind. African Americans are only a few  generations removed from slavery using 1865 as a reference and 1 generation away from the end of segregation ( 1969). The image and attitude of the portion of the population who sought to withhold education and resources to minorities based solely on the color of their skin is fresh in the minds of their minds.  You cant be conditioned to and exposed to a certain set of behaviors and when they end suddenly be expected to forget them.  Gen x was born just after the end of segregation and was raised by a generation that were exposed to a lot of ugliness based on race. The attitudes of the parents were transfered to the kids  but not to the same degree because they were not exposed to the same social behaviors that their parents were. Each successive generations exposure becomes less and less and eventually the stigma will disappear.
Hell according to census figures eventually with the mixing of ethnicities here in the US we will all be close to the same skin color in 100 yrs, just like Puerto Rico.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:47:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Only a guess, but I would imagine that many people on the board are fed up with overly PC crap and virtually anything remotely offensive being called racist. It has come to the point that if you are white then you are racist, if you are straight then you are homophobic, and if you are male then you are sexist. This pisses many people off.

I cannot articulate this any better, but these are my feelings exactly. I'm just fucking sick of walking on eggshells, so I've decided I'm not going to anymore. I have NEVER tried to hurt anyone based on their race or any other reason, other than they had it coming, so I'll be DAMNED if I'll be labeled as such. HK_Shooter_03...I hope you read this at some point.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:48:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
While we're on the topic, I'm Irish and my wife is Nicaraguan.

We have 2 beautiful children, light skinned but they tan up darker than my wife in a week, after the snow melts, no sunburns.

I call them McSpics, my sister calls them Latin Leprauchans. Anybody offended?

To someone who wears their heart and feelings on their sleeve, or graduated from womans or black studies program, that would be considered RACIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.  Personally, I know it is all in fun, and that you love your wife and kids dear, so I know better.  But there are some who are perpetually on the prowl looking for the slightest perceived insult, ready to scream and condemn and villify.

I hear ya. I work alot in Mass, so whenever I even get a hint that someone's about to call me racist for my conservatives views, I make it a point to bring up a picture of my family on my computer desktop, that kinda puts an end to that. And you're right, my kids are my life, those comments are made among friends.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:50:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Alright, I'll oblige you here. Go into this so called "theory" whereby you condemn the Founding Fathers, for creating this "racist" society.

You misplaced your response up in the quote, but I found it and will reply.

I don't think the founding fathers are to "blame," I think the southerners who insisted upon slavery are to blame. However, the founding fathers are responsible.

This is the greatest country in the world and always has been, but being the best isn't the same as being perfect, and the problem of race is rooted in the compromised forced on the virtuous northerners by the tyrannical southerners.

It was a necessary compromise for the greater good, but the fact that it ended well doesn't absolve the people responsible.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:51:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:

exactly. and who gives a shit? people are who they are, you wont change them.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:54:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is very easy to understand but you have to have an open mind. African Americans are only a few  generations removed from slavery using 1865 as a reference and 1 generation away from the end of segregation ( 1969). The image and attitude of the portion of the population who sought to withhold education and resources to minorities based solely on the color of their skin is fresh in the minds of their minds.  You cant be conditioned to and exposed to a certain set of behaviors and when they end suddenly be expected to forget them.  Gen x was born just after the end of segregation and was raised by a generation that were exposed to a lot of ugliness based on race. The attitudes of the parents were transfered to the kids  but not to the same degree because they were not exposed to the same social behaviors that their parents were. Each successive generations exposure becomes less and less and eventually the stigma will disappear.
Hell according to census figures eventually with the mixing of ethnicities here in the US we will all be close to the same skin color in 100 yrs, just like Puerto Rico.
I believe this is why racism occurs. I find it interesting that difference and tolerance is supposed to be appreciated, but if you are white and would like to stay white, you are berated and belittled instead of that interest being tolerated. I for one wouldn't want to force my children to be half something half another, "mudbloods" as in the Harry Potter stories. It creates a person that has a hard time fitting into society because they can't identify with one particular culture. Any time a discussion about race occurs, many people are programmed to just call any whites partaking in said discussion racist, because they are too weak to formulate their own arguments, and have a rely on framework provided by people before them. Racism in America today is a crutch, and remember that you can try to make things all the fair you want however when you go to far on the spectrum you defeat your original goal of creating equality. However, the goal isn't about fairness its about dismantling the established system read ie "whites"

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:55:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We have 2 beautiful children, light skinned but they tan up darker than my wife in a week, after the snow melts, no sunburns.

To someone who wears their heart and feelings on their sleeve, or graduated from womans or black studies program, that would be considered RACIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.  Personally, I know it is all in fun, and that you love your wife and kids dear, so I know better.  But there are some who are perpetually on the prowl looking for the slightest perceived insult, ready to scream and condemn and villify.

I hear ya. I work alot in Mass, so whenever I even get a hint that someone's about to call me racist for my conservatives views, I make it a point to bring up a picture of my family on my computer desktop, that kinda puts an end to that. And you're right, my kids are my life, those comments are made among friends.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:57:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe this is why racism occurs. I find it interesting that difference and tolerance is supposed to be appreciated, but if you are white and would like to stay white, you are berated and belittled instead of that interest being tolerated. I for one wouldn't want to force my children to be half something half another, "mudbloods" as in the Harry Potter stories. It creates a person that has a hard time fitting into society because they can't identify with one particular culture. Any time a discussion about race occurs, many people are programmed to just call any whites partaking in said discussion racist, because they are too weak to formulate their own arguments, and have a rely on framework provided by people before them. Racism in America today is a crutch, and remember that you can try to make things all the fair you want however when you go to far on the spectrum you defeat your original goal of creating equality. However, the goal isn't about fairness its about dismantling the established system read ie "whites"

You mean payback.  Its not about fairness, its about new favoratism and revenge.  PS  I find that very sad.  Rodney Kings words suddenly ring very true "Cant We just Get Along??"

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 9:05:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You misplaced your response up in the quote, but I found it and will reply.

I don't think the founding fathers are to "blame," I think the southerners who insisted upon slavery are to blame. However, the founding fathers are responsible.

This is the greatest country in the world and always has been, but being the best isn't the same as being perfect, and the problem of race is rooted in the compromised forced on the virtuous northerners by the tyrannical southerners.

It was a necessary compromise for the greater good, but the fact that it ended well doesn't absolve the people responsible.

You do realize that slavery would have ended as machines would have taken over the work, don't you. However, if you want to blame slavery, especially in Africa you have many tribes and many groups to go after, not just the white southerners. Africans were enslaved by their own people for hundreds perhaps thousands of years before whites got there.Thus rendering your claim that "whites" relegated these people to the non-human pile useless really, they simply bought something from an African tribe who had already rendered these people "property." I don't hear white people crying for reparations against the Romans, who enslaved I would be willing to say almost every white persons ancestor across Europe. Also I don't hear crys against endentured servitude, which really was a horrible practice. However I do see certain classes of people that are crying about the things done to them in the past, as reasoning for receiving certain favors over white people, instead of utilizing that "ill" as a powerbase, as a way to show they are better than that, earning respect instead of simply receiving it because they are x group of people.

Furthermore, that conduct still exists in certain portions of Africa today. I find it interesting that people adhere to the believe that Abraham Lincoln wanted to "free" the slaves, he did not, but it did indeed make for a compelling reason to have his goals that he had. This "hero" that most people believe called out the army on his own people, New York I believe and it was the first time in American History. If a President, is willing to kill his own people with the army, that seems to go against the constitution to me and he certainly isn't a "hero". He also created much of the agencies we have today, taking the power from the states into the larger government powerbase, which FDR finished.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 9:06:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You mean payback.  Its not about fairness, its about new favoratism and revenge.  PS  I find that very sad.  Rodney Kings words suddenly ring very true "Cant We just Get Along??"

We have a winnar. You get a chiken dinner, maybe some colt 45 too.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 9:13:07 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

You do realize that slavery would have ended as machines would have taken over the work, don't you. However, if you want to blame slavery, especially in Africa you have many tribes and many groups to go after, not just the white southerners. Africans were enslaved by their own people for hundreds perhaps thousands of years before whites got there.Thus rendering your claim that "whites" relegated these people to the non-human pile useless really, they simply bought something from an African tribe who had already rendered these people "property." I don't hear white people crying for reparations against the Romans, who enslaved I would be willing to say almost every white persons ancestor across Europe. Also I don't hear crys against endentured servitude, which really was a horrible practice. However I do see certain classes of people that are crying about the things done to them in the past, as reasoning for receiving certain favors over white people, instead of utilizing that "ill" as a powerbase, as a way to show they are better than that, earning respect instead of simply receiving it because they are x group of people.

Furthermore, that conduct still exists in certain portions of Africa today. I find it interesting that people adhere to the believe that Abraham Lincoln wanted to "free" the slaves, he did not, but it did indeed make for a compelling reason to have his goals that he had. This "hero" that most people believe called out the army on his own people, New York I believe and it was the first time in American History. If a President, is willing to kill his own people with the army, that seems to go against the constitution to me and he certainly isn't a "hero". He also created much of the agencies we have today, taking the power from the states into the larger government powerbase, which FDR finished.

If you knowingly buy stolen property, you are a thief.

If there was slavery in Africa for billions of years before whites got there it's africas problem.

When you begin a transoceanic business of buying and selling people it becomes your problem.

When you pass legislation to make said property less than a human of lighter skin it's your problem.

When you pass legislation after said property is reverted to people to keep them less than other people, it's your problem.

The whole "The Africans started it" cop out is infantile, and stupid.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 9:17:40 AM EDT
[#26]
2 things.

One, we have Trolls who throw out what if your daughter decided to marry a gay, Muslim, dominatrix of another race threads in order to get someone to overreact.

Two, we have people here who hate racism and people who are racist (Big R Racist).  These folks are gonna fight.  I think the racists are a small slice of us but they are here.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 9:18:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
IBTWG

In Before The White Guilt....

Too late-

When the founding fathers decided that black people weren't human beings

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 9:19:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What really puzzles me is the obsession a lot of people on ar15.com have with talking about the gays.

Ahhhh because two men can not reproduce?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 9:20:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're assuming a 100% gay population.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 9:27:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Because some of our children have not grown out of the "Since Jimmy gets to do something distasteful, then I get to do it back." stage in their lives.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 9:31:39 AM EDT
[#31]
<Posting a gif depicting a racial joke in a thread discussing racism is not the smartest thing to do. Take some time off and read the CoC. #1 -NorCal>
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 9:38:12 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

IBTWG

Too late-

Its not white guilt, its the truth.  I'm not sure why everyone here seems to hold the Founding Fathers up as though they were God's.  You can't say you think man was endowed with certain rights and then deny those rights to a certain group of people based on their skin.  You're either a hypocrite, or you just don't believe certain groups of people are truly human.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 9:39:22 AM EDT
[#33]
DU trolls
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 9:43:31 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
<Posting a gif depicting a racial joke in a thread discussing racism is not the smartest thing to do. Take some time off and read the CoC. #1 -NorCal>

Humor rears it ugly head!

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:23:21 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted: I find it interesting that people adhere to the believe that Abraham Lincoln wanted to "free" the slaves, he did not, but it did indeed make for a compelling reason to have his goals that he had. This "hero" that most people believe called out the army on his own people, New York I believe and it was the first time in American History. If a President, is willing to kill his own people with the army, that seems to go against the constitution to me and he certainly isn't a "hero". He also created much of the agencies we have today, taking the power from the states into the larger government powerbase, which FDR finished.

+1
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:25:28 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So a small segment of the population not reproducing (which they likely wouldn't even if they banned teh ghey since they aren't into pussy) is going to cause the downfall of society?

Jay
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:36:17 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

If you look down upon racism, then arfcom offers endless opportunities to call it out and criticize and be disdainful.

As opposed to perdictable pretended indignation and self righteously phoniness.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:38:43 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:01:30 AM EDT
[#39]
Society in general is infatuated with racism, or more correctly, the appearance of racism. Conditioning from The Left.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:25:06 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Society in general is infatuated with racism, or more correctly, the appearance of racism. Conditioning from The Left.

If the Left is responsible, why are people on this site so susceptible to it?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:02:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
IBTWG

Too late-

Its not white guilt, its the truth.  I'm not sure why everyone here seems to hold the Founding Fathers up as though they were God's.  You can't say you think man was endowed with certain rights and then deny those rights to a certain group of people based on their skin.  You're either a hypocrite, or you just don't believe certain groups of people are truly human.

Way too simplistic explanation of the reasoning and the course of politics of a developing Republic. Can see how it would fit an agenda. and your conclusion is wrong.

This is where the condition of slavery is confused as an economic exploitation of humanity for acts of racism exclusively. Unfortunately it did occur and is, for the most part, a reality of human existence throughout the ages (and is still being practiced today). You make a generalization without the back history (as is convenient to do). In many minds slavery is something exclusive to   North American history from colonization to the civil war and nothing else is worth note (again a convenience). Then you make a proclamation as to the motivation of the Founding Fathers to frame it as an endorsement for the practice. Nothing could be farther from the truth. Slavery was a reality of those times, as evil as it was, and has been through human history. To present it in this condensed and distorted assessment of the practice and the participants is dishonest ( I just assume you are the benefactor of the revisionist, liberal public school system). Thank god for a Republican President to come along and emancipate the slaves from the evil, stupid democrats.

For your enjoyment and perhaps some enlightenment;

John Jay, great supporter of the Constitution after its creation and an author of The Federalist wrote in 1786, "It is much to be wished that slavery may be abolished. The honour of the States, as well as justice and humanity, in my opinion, loudly call upon them to emancipate these unhappy people. To contend for our own liberty, and to deny that blessing to others, involves an inconsistency not to be excused."

Oliver Ellsworth, one of the signers of the Constitution wrote, a few months after the Convention adjourned, "All good men wish the entire abolition of slavery, as soon as it can take place with safety to the public, and for the lasting good of the present wretched race of slaves."

Patrick Henry, the great Virginian patriot, refused to attend the Convention because he "smelt a rat," was outspoken on the issue, despite his citizenship in a slave state. In 1773, he wrote, "I believe a time will come when an opportunity will be offered to abolish this lamentable evil. Everything we do is to improve it, if it happens in our day; if not, let us transmit to our descendants, together with our slaves, a pity for their unhappy lot and an abhorrence of slavery."

Thomas Jefferson, author of the Declaration of Independence, which, famously, declares that "all men are created equal," wrote, "There must doubtless be an unhappy influence on the manners of our people produced by the existence of slavery among us. The whole commerce between master and slave is a perpetual exercise of the most boisterous passions, the most unremitting despotism on the one part, and degrading submissions on the other. Our children see this, and learn to imitate it; for man is an imitative animal. This quality is the germ of all education in him." Alas, like many Southerners, Jefferson held slaves, as many as 223 at some points in his life. His family sold his slaves after his death, in an effort to relieve the debt he left his estate in.

In a letter to the Marquis de Lafayette, George Washington wrote, "[Y]our late purchase of an estate in the colony of Cayenne, with a view to emancipating the slaves on it, is a generous and noble proof of your humanity. Would to God a like spirit would diffuse itself generally into the minds of the people of this country; but I despair of seeing it." Washington and his wife held over 300 slaves. He wrote in his will that he'd wished to free his slaves, but that because of intermarriage between his and Martha's slaves, he feared the break-up of families should only his slaves be freed. He directed that his slaves be freed upon her death. His will provided for the continued care of all slaves, paid for from his estate.

The great American scientist and publisher Benjamin Franklin held several slaves during his lifetime. He willed one of them be freed upon his death, but Franklin outlived him. In 1789, he said, "Slavery is such an atrocious debasement of human nature, that its very extirpation, if not performed with solicitous care, may sometimes open a source of serious evils."

Other examples of anti-slavery messages abound from the late 1700's. They illustrate the feelings of some, but those feelings cannot be seen in the product of their works at creating a government. Despite the freedoms demanded in the Declaration and the freedoms reserved in the Constitution and the Bill of Rights, slavery was not only tolerated in the Constitution, but it was codified.

The Constitution has often been called a living tribute to the art of compromise. In the slavery question, this can be seen most clearly. The Convention had representatives from every corner of the United States, including, of course, the South, where slavery was most pronounced.

http://www.usconstitution.net/consttop_slav.html

Slavery is a form of forced labor in which people are considered to be, or treated as, the property of others. Slaves can be held against their will from the time of their capture, purchase or birth, and deprived of the right to leave, to refuse to work, or to receive compensation (such as wages). Evidence of slavery predates written records, and has existed to varying extents, forms and periods in almost all cultures and continents.[1] In some societies, slavery existed as a legal institution or socio-economic system, but today it is formally outlawed in nearly all countries. Nevertheless, the practice continues in various forms around the world.

The English word slave derives - through Old French and Medieval Latin - from the medieval word for Slavic, a people of Central and Eastern Europe, many of whom were sold in slavery after conquest by the Holy Roman Empire.

Slavery can be traced back to the earliest records, such as the Bible and the Code of Hammurabi (ca. 1760 BC), which refers to it as an established institution.[6] Slavery in ancient cultures was known to occur in civilizations as old as Sumer, and it was found in every civilization, including Ancient Egypt, the Akkadian Empire, Assyria, Ancient Greece, Rome and parts of its empire, and the Islamic Caliphate.[7] Such institutions were a mixture of debt-slavery, punishment for crime, the enslavement of prisoners of war, child abandonment, and the birth of slave children to slaves. Records of slavery in Ancient Greece go as far back as Mycenaean Greece.

The people subjected to Roman slavery came from all over Europe and the Mediterranean. Greeks, Berbers, Germans, Britons, Thracians, Gauls, Jews, Arabs, and many more were slaves used not only for labour, but also for amusement (e.g. gladiators and sex slaves). This oppression by an elite minority eventually led to slave revolts (see Roman Servile Wars); the Third Servile War led by Spartacus was the most famous and severe. By the late Republican era, slavery had become a vital economic pillar in the wealth of Rome.[12] It is estimated that over 25% of the population of Ancient Rome was enslaved.[13]

Slavery in early medieval Europe was so common that the Roman Catholic Church repeatedly prohibited it — or at least the export of Christian slaves to non-Christian lands was prohibited at e.g. the Council of Koblenz in 922, the Council of London (1102), and the Council of Armagh (1171).[22]

Slavery was prominent presumably elsewhere in Africa long before the beginnings of the transatlantic slave trade.[29]

Some historians estimate that between 11 and 18 million black African slaves crossed the Red Sea, Indian Ocean, and Sahara Desert from 650 AD to 1900 AD,[1][58][59] compared with the 9.4 to 12 million Africans who were taken to the Americas.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery

I assume you are the product of liberal education that conveniently uses the worn out thought terminating cliche of racism to end discussion while making inaccurate proclamations. Just another alpha hotel determined to frame their perspective and force their view of historical events onto others.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:13:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Everyone has a natural and unavoidable bias toward people similar to themselves.  

As soon as everyone realizes this, and takes responsibility for their own lives and actions as an individual human being, separate and different from every other, instead of blaming others for their personal misfortunes and failures, racism will be a non-issue.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:14:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Humor rears it ugly head!

Missed it. Could you IM me the orignal material? Want to see how you got ownt.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:27:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

No, not at all and that's the way it's supposed to be if everyone would stop playing the victim and get down off their holier then thou soapbox and lighten up and get a sense of humor. I'm pretty sure no one cares about the race of the soldier fighting next to them when the bullets start flying and you're in the shit. It's the demagogues that always run to an open mike to complain about some perceived injustice that keeps us from becoming a decent tolerant society that can live and let live. And have a little fun.........
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:33:02 PM EDT
[#45]
i like the ''omg oh noes the brinks commercial is all teh white men!!!!''
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:36:04 PM EDT
[#46]
I dont think the people of ARFCOM are racist.  What they do is play off the stereotypes that people have be it white trash, hill billies, red necks, mexican, african american etc.

Oh and

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:36:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Its ARFCOM doing its part to have a frank discussion of racism as called for by our esteemed  Attorney General Eric Holder

By all means, let's have a frank, honest discussion.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:46:42 PM EDT
[#48]
The people who try so hard to prove they don't have a racist bone in their bodies are the worst.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:54:27 PM EDT
[#49]

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:56:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top