BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 12:18:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would question why I hadn't moved my business 20 years ago?
View Quote

C'mon, you don't know what the story is. Maybe the guy just showed up at his store last week, looked over his shoulder, and there was a housing project.

Heeeyyy... where did that come from?

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 12:21:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, if I did, I would make sure my insurance policies are up to date and cover looting and/or arson.

I would also hire some roof top Koreans for defense.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 12:23:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Step 1:  Don't own a business in or near the ghetto.  

If you failed in step 1, I'm with this guy:

Then sell the property and start up somewhere nice instead.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

At one end of the opinion spectrum is a guy who thinks he should make sure his insurance is paid up and then just let the mob have its way.

Bingo. Let the looters and the insurance company handle your business closing "sale", then retire.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 12:29:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

C'mon, you don't know what the story is. Maybe the guy just showed up at his store last week, looked over his shoulder, and there was a housing project.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would question why I hadn't moved my business 20 years ago?

Let it burn
Wanna let it burn, wanna let it burn
Wanna wanna let it burn
(I feel insanity)
Riots on the streets of Miami
Whoa, riots on the streets of Chicago
On the streets of Long Beach
In San Francisco
Riots on the streets of Kansas City
Tuskaloosa, Alabama
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 12:30:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Just gather a bunch of friends and neighboring business owners to hang around with rifles.  Even a mob will get the message.
View Quote

The mob will be back, night after night. this is LONG TERM as long as OFUCKUS in in office.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 12:32:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Hire some Koreans.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 12:32:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 12:34:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Bingo. Let the looters and the insurance company handle your business closing "sale", then retire.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

At one end of the opinion spectrum is a guy who thinks he should make sure his insurance is paid up and then just let the mob have its way.

But that's racist.  If you do that, you are contributing to the food desert!  Think of the children!!!!
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 12:42:23 PM EDT
[#9]
During the Rodney King riots, there were over a thousand arson fires with most being complete losses because firefighting crews were being shot at.

Any business owner should remove critical records and hard to replace items, then thoroughly document with video the state of the business before the riots occur.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 12:42:24 PM EDT
[#10]
I really like the idea of quietly causing the loudest, most violent, Molotov carrying members of the mob to spring leaks.

Paint a red line on your property, post signs that any rioters that pass that line will be met with force.
Meet them with force.

I think seeing a few of their own just drop as soon as they cross that line would get the point across pretty quickly.

ETA: I don't think much is going to come of this. Too fucking cold out for rampaging mobs.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 12:43:55 PM EDT
[#11]
I would keep my store open to help feed the peaceful protestors.  Heck, I would probably have free samples set up out front for the peaceful protestors.  I might even lower my prices so the peaceful protestors can puchase more products.

Im sure the PD will quickly respond should any peaceful protestors become miffed and raise their voices.  Im sure calm dialogue will be sufficient to defuse any situation.  

I also believe in the tooth fairy, santa and that politicians have my best interests in mind.  

I wonder how the PD will deal with property owners who stand outside with visible firearms.  Order them to stand down?  Confiscation?  Arrest?
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 12:46:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Odds are the show of force would be enough of a deterrent. They know the cops have internal rules of engagement they have to abide by and that emboldens them. The only thing I would have to follow is the law and Missouri has a stand your ground law. It is highly unlikely I would be indicted, let along convicted of shooting someone who was getting ready to toss a Molotov cocktail or a group of charging rioters. In those situations it is pretty easy to argue that you are in imminent fear of great bodily harm or death.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lots of ammo and a sandbag fortification in front of the building. Shoot individuals lighting Molotov cocktails on sight.

Seriously?

You would conduct a one man reenactment of The Alamo?

No, I would bring my friends along.

Fair enough. Who would take care of your family while you're in prison or dead?

Look,they are looking for a white guy to string up by his nutsack as it appears the officer did everything right.

I would do everything I could to not be that guy,unless to protect my family.

Odds are the show of force would be enough of a deterrent. They know the cops have internal rules of engagement they have to abide by and that emboldens them. The only thing I would have to follow is the law and Missouri has a stand your ground law. It is highly unlikely I would be indicted, let along convicted of shooting someone who was getting ready to toss a Molotov cocktail or a group of charging rioters. In those situations it is pretty easy to argue that you are in imminent fear of great bodily harm or death.

Agreed on all points. Lets say you do have to use deadly force, you are no billed, not sued in civil court and save your business. Then what. This is not the end of the world, to keep your business you will have to reopen at some point. Those ' people ' and not going anywhere. And, Darren Wilson did everything right and legal as well. Wonder what sort of life he is going to have from here on out?

Look, I am not saying lethal force is wrong, even in defense of property. I am all for it. Just not in this case.

Even if just being present and armed keeps the looters at bay, what about 2 weeks from now? How about 2 years from now? The protesters are going to remember that shit and in order to keep your business safe you may end up pulling guard duty 24/7. The DOJ just emasculated the police in the area, the thugs be runnin the show now yo.

Best to GTFO and go somewhere else less racist to whites. IMO its kind of like the whites that stuck it out in Zimbabwe. They fought the good fight but 99% of those left wish they had gotten out.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 12:51:41 PM EDT
[#13]
I would buy a bunch of Peeps and Coke and host Cola Warrior Ferguson edition.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 12:54:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Since the resale value of his business is probably zero I might just hope they burned it down so I could get insurance reimbursement..........but make SURE the policy lists a specific value.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 1:01:25 PM EDT
[#15]
I think it would be hard to move a buisness by now,  that should have been done after the first set of riots.  I think I would move all my expesive stuff out to storage, put a sign up saying looters will be shot and set up camp on the roof with lots of coffee, ammo and hopefully some friends as a deterent.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 1:05:42 PM EDT
[#16]
This guy is right.

At one end of the opinion spectrum is a guy who thinks he should make sure his insurance is paid up and then just let the mob have its way. If you shoot one of them, life as you know it is over. You would likely lose your business and savings and be forced to move away, at a minimum.
View Quote

This guy I understand.

At the other end of the spectrum is a guy who thinks that being hidden on the roof with a suppressed .22 is the way to go. Looters who were hit would likely leave without expiring (at least on the spot) and if you were hidden from their view (and that of helicopters) criminal charges would be unlikely.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 1:17:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Make double sure your insurance will cover a riot.  Then check again just to be sure.  As soon as the verdict is announced I'd close up shop and go to Disney Land for a few days.  The insurance company can deal with the dindus.  

Mostly I'd be looking for a new location because unless you're selling Chore Boys and glass stems there is no money to be made in certain neighborhoods.  And the trouble is just not worth all the work.  Been there, done that, made it out without losing my life's savings.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 1:27:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Disguise building as book store. Come back after riots to find your business unlooted.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 1:28:38 PM EDT
[#19]
fpni
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 1:28:46 PM EDT
[#20]
I would do my best to make it the most hilarious you tube video arfcom has ever seen. Launching fireworks and paint bombs  from the roof. Electronic dog barking  as someone got close to the building. Be prepared for violence just in case. It just not my style to just rollover. What message does it send to just let the crowd do as they wish.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 1:32:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Seriously?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lots of ammo and a sandbag fortification in front of the building. Shoot individuals lighting Molotov cocktails on sight.

Seriously?

I can understand if some people would.  I think you could get away with setting up a lawnchair, a movie and some snacks on the roof and just every couple minutes lean over and light off a couple rounds into the air.  They wouldn't come anywhere near the place.

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 1:33:28 PM EDT
[#22]
I would not be owning a business in a shit hole area like that.

First rule in business, location, location, location!
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 1:34:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

"He wasn't throwing a Molotov cocktail - he was passing a basketball when he was shot. His hands were in the air when he was shot ... no justice ... no peace ... "
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"He wasn't throwing a Molotov cocktail - he was passing a basketball when he was shot. His hands were in the air when he was shot ... no justice ... no peace ... "

That Molotov isn't going to be there when the cops come, unless somehow it breaks and catches the asshole on fire.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 1:34:44 PM EDT
[#24]
If I had a business I'd put wood on the windows marked do not enter/trespassing and sleep in my store. If someone broke in I would shoot without hesitation after PID.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 1:35:04 PM EDT
[#25]
I wouldn't have one anymore.  It would be shuttered and I'd move.  

No use living around people like that.  It's only going to get worse.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 2:30:59 PM EDT
[#26]
I feel bad for them.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 7:31:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Look,they are looking for a white guy to string up by his nutsack as it appears the officer did everything right.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously?

No, I would bring my friends along.

Back during Rodney King when it looked like the locals might get froggy, we planned ahead.  Many local business owners bought truckloads of hay bales and set them up in front of their stores for cover and fenced off their parking lots with metal fence posts and barbed wire.  They hung signs stating very clearly that all the stores were closed do not enter the parking lot or get shot.

I lived in the residential area behind the mini-mall, and while we could block the streets into the neighborhood with cars, if rioters came in past the businesses they could have easily hopped the back fences of the houses that backed up to it and invaded our neighborhood.   So we all banded together to establish a perimeter and restrict access to our one square block.

My contribution was a case of ammo - 250 rds. of Remington 12ga. 00 buck - that we passed around to everyone.  After the smoke cleared if the feds start digging bullets out of corpses and matching them to your rifles or pistols, you're fucked.  But with shotguns, no ballistics.  And with my ammo how can you tell who fired it?  Same caliber, same type, hell, even the same lot number.  Go ahead and do a mass-spec on the powder residue or lead, it's all the same.   Four dead looters?  More than a dozen of us had that ammo.  And I just shot into the air to scare them.  Oh, you too?  Looks like we all just fired into the air.  Prove it was me.  So you've narrowed it down to about a 30% chance that it was me who shot that rioter?  In other words it was a 70% chance that it wasn't me, and that sounds like reasonable doubt if I ever heard it.

Luckily when the first group of "undocumented shoppers" came to our neighborhood, the sight of a couple dozen guns pointed right at them made them re-evaluate, turn, and run to a different, less well defended part of town.  We never had to fire a shot.

I still have that ammo to this day because, well, I'm sure that's not the last riot we're ever going to see.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 7:47:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I have a friend with a business on the outskirts of Ferguson, with project housing literally across the street. We and some others were discussing his options if 'looting for justice' begins.

At one end of the opinion spectrum is a guy who thinks he should make sure his insurance is paid up and then just let the mob have its way. If you shoot one of them, life as you know it is over. You would likely lose your business and savings and be forced to move away, at a minimum.

At the other end of the spectrum is a guy who thinks that being hidden on the roof with a suppressed .22 is the way to go. Looters who were hit would likely leave without expiring (at least on the spot) and if you were hidden from their view (and that of helicopters) criminal charges would be unlikely.

What sayeth Arfcom?
View Quote

He should do his best to ensure that his store is not burned to the ground during the next riot thereby forcing him to collect on his insurance money and move to a safer location.  If at all possible he should look through his insurance documents and make sure everything is up to date since the area has seen a number of arson attacks. He should move any important valuables to his house and then regretfully if his business if hit with arson he should move to a safer location.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 7:51:29 PM EDT
[#29]
I would throw them a basket ball.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:47:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Any business owner should remove critical records and hard to replace items, then thoroughly document with video the state of the business before the riots occur.
View Quote

Including your inventory of collectable stamps worth millions. There's a big market for those in the hood.

The media and Holder's and Obama's DOJ are looking for the Great White Defendant to get their hooks into. They've been trying with Wilson, a guy who was involved in a stone cold legal shoot, but none the less has a boatload of legal problems on top of the death threats.

Ask yourself if you want to be in Wilson's position. Then GTFO.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:57:50 PM EDT
[#31]
By now, I would have anything hi value/business important removed to a safe spot. All high profit/sales items that are non perishable would be removed from the premises; I would have just enough to get through the day.  Make sure the insurance cover riots/civil unrest.

Close up shops few hours before the announcement, board up windows, apply lots of barb wire and GTFO.

If it burns, file insurance and never re-open in that spot.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 9:11:44 PM EDT
[#32]
I wonder about those armed Korean business owners in the LA riots, if their businesses burned to the ground would that translate to them essentially losing everything?

I know a lot of small business owners that have a shit ton tied up and the interruption or the end of their business is not an option.

Or is it like those people who are told to evacuate during a hurricane and refuse to eventhough it's very risky and they can afford to take the hit?

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 9:15:44 PM EDT
[#33]
My first reaction would be to grab a rifle and a couple handguns and pop anyone who even looked like the had ill intentions...but yet I wouldn't want to go bankrupt with legal fees once the dust clears, even if you are in the right and just wing a couple of them you will be a target for the rest of your days there, would be tempted to let it burn and get the hell out with the insurance money.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 9:19:04 PM EDT
[#34]
let the fucking obama voters have it, take the insurance money and get the fuck out for good.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 9:25:29 PM EDT
[#35]
1. Rent another building far enough from the savage horde that they can't affect future business.
2. Rent a truck and hire people to move inventory to new building.  

3. Raise your middle finger in salute as you drive away never to return.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 9:36:19 PM EDT
[#36]
All looters have guns.

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 9:42:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Let it burn, collect insurance, open up new place in a location with a better set of customers.

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 9:50:00 PM EDT
[#38]
SO , it's easy to tell who here OWNS a business.

Insurance DOES NOT cover riots, unless you specify , and pay for the coverage.

The comments " I'd get riot ins. and leave". is what the ins co will do when you request it. (just like those in a hurricane's path , wait till it makes land fall THEN call their agent)

Those small business owners WILL LOSE everything when they are looted/burned out.

I would stand firm , come what may.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 9:58:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Start handing out free beer ....

Seriously though, board up my shit the best I could, turn on my sprinklers, and hope the bastards stay away from my place.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 9:59:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Leave Ferg in the rear view.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 10:04:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I'd walk away. Just... walk away.
View Quote

Lord Humongous, is they you?
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 10:09:32 PM EDT
[#42]

Fill several 55 gallon drums full of fecal matter from local pig farm.

Upon release of grand jury info, create a fecal moat between projects and business.

Anyone who has ever been near a pig farm will attest to its wonderful odor.

Upon conclusion of rioting, hose off the streets.

Nobody walks in pig poop if they don't have to.

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 10:16:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

That Molotov isn't going to be there when the cops come, unless somehow it breaks and catches the asshole on fire.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you're making all these plans, make sure you have video up and running on all 4 sides of your building and a body cam
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 10:17:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
SO , it's easy to tell who here OWNS a business.

Insurance DOES NOT cover riots, unless you specify , and pay for the coverage.

The comments " I'd get riot ins. and leave". is what the ins co will do when you request it. (just like those in a hurricane's path , wait till it makes land fall THEN call their agent)

Those small business owners WILL LOSE everything when they are looted/burned out.

I would stand firm , come what may.
View Quote

Well said. I would be doing this but I pray it never comes to it. I can't beleive how many would roll over and loose everything.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 10:20:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I would do my best to make it the most hilarious you tube video arfcom has ever seen. Launching fireworks and paint bombs  from the roof. Electronic dog barking  as someone got close to the building. Be prepared for violence just in case. It just not my style to just rollover. What message does it send to just let the crowd do as they wish.
View Quote

yep..................... maybe birdshot too
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 10:22:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 10:22:50 PM EDT
[#47]
The 3rd option.   in a moving truck.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 10:23:31 PM EDT
[#48]
if ya own a BOOK store and a WORK BOOT only store
nothing will be taken...
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 10:27:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 10:29:09 PM EDT
[#50]
If it were my shop, I'd just leave and collect the insurance on the resulting smoldering pile of rubble a week later.

That being said.. if you act like an animal, you may very well be killed like an animal. I wouldn't have any sympathy for any looters/rioters who got smoked by someone trying to protect themselves or their business. If you act like a criminal thug, then IMO, your fatal gunshot wounds constitute a death via natural causes.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top