User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 10:14:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I have a SW 642 in 38 spl. Apparently it has a twist of 18.5:1. So I wonder if a sabot could be 3D printed to hold a super light .223 bullet like a 40-45 grain and what sort of velocity it would push.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I haven't bothered with nickel in JHP but I've had a great time with sabots. I made a poor 1895 Nagant revolver holepunch a IIIa vest.

It's the main reason I'm so interested in .30SC as well. Semi auto legal AP carry gun? Yes please.

https://i.imgur.com/gWu9Pkj.jpg?1

I have a SW 642 in 38 spl. Apparently it has a twist of 18.5:1. So I wonder if a sabot could be 3D printed to hold a super light .223 bullet like a 40-45 grain and what sort of velocity it would push.

I expect that it's absolutely doable and - depending on the exact weight of the sabot and projectile - 1500+ FPS.
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 10:38:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'd be surprised if that didn't affect the accuracy.  But I want to stick zippo flints in 22 LR hollow points...
View Quote

They don't fit.  I think I've read the same book that you did that suggests otherwise.  

Zippo flints will fit in 9mm hollow points, though.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 2:29:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:Nope. Manufacturing any ammunition that meets the AP definition - even if it's not for sale - is illegal without a type 10 FFL.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:Congress wrote it that way.
18 USC § 921(a)(17)
I thought it was just illegal to "manufacture" it, meaning you're producing and selling it for commercial means to the peasants.  Making for yourself was acceptable.  But I've been wrong before.
Nope. Manufacturing any ammunition that meets the AP definition - even if it's not for sale - is illegal without a type 10 FFL.
If you "manufacture" anything, it is for the purpose of sale.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top