Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 1:37:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Un Lechon en una caja china...

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 1:39:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I made some holiday brew. Some Pumpkin Ale. I think it will be all right.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 1:42:01 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Turkey,spuds,stuffing,poker,whiskey,fist fights.

Hopefully the blended type...

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:00:52 PM EDT
[#4]
we do the traditional turkey dinner, but mom always makes green goop. It's lime jello, with pineapple and melted cream cheese mixed in. Looks horrendous but it tastes so freaking good.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:08:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

we do the traditional turkey dinner, but mom always makes green goop. It's lime jello, with pineapple and melted cream cheese mixed in. Looks horrendous but it tastes so freaking good.

http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr239/cbtreks/limejello2.jpg

My mom does something similar at times, but it's not called green "goop" ... instead, it's called "green stuff"; and it has marshmallows in it.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:25:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I'll be hitting the Chinese buffet.  Been doing that for almost 25 years now.  I don't see the attraction for the traditional meal.  Too much work and the women-folk get all stressed about every little fucking thing.  Life is too short for that crap.  Let's go eat crab legs, lo mein, and dumplings until we pass out.  Much better.  And no dishes to wash.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:27:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
My family is vegetarian so they serve Tofurkey.

No milk or eggs used to make the rolls.

Not sure what the butter is but it's isn't butter.

I would flat out refuse to go there.

I understand your outrage but Tofurkey is good.  I'm not a vegetarian but when I cook Thanksgiving dinner, I make Tofurkey even when no vegetarians are present.  

Yes, I will have both turkey and Tofurkey on my plate because both are delicious.

I bought a Tofurkey today and plan to make it tomorrow for an early Tday with my kid.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:42:02 PM EDT
[#8]
It is just the wife and I but we are still having turkey, stuffing under the skin, mashed potatoes and rutabagas, green bean casserole, and Pillsbury fuckin crescent rolls.  Yeah and some of that cranberry crap that is shaped like the inside of the can.

And we like it that way.

We're Americans, dammit, and that's how we roll.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:50:19 PM EDT
[#9]
The only two women who made Chitlins I trusted (MUST be cleaned WELL!) are both long dead.  

I keep saying I am going to show my immigrant Wife how to cook them- but I wont.
No more Chitlins- probably ever.
Turkey, oyster dressing, jellied cran, greens, green beans, candied yams, punkin pie, sweet potato pie.

She will burn one of the sides and succeed well on all the rest. Two guests coming, both a long way from their home and solo. I am looking forward to it.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:05:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Cranberry sauce is always a tradition for Thanksgiving/Christmas.  The two meals are normally pretty similar.  Nothing too crazy....we do the usual stuff.  Turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, deviled eggs, cheese rolls, salad, green bean casserole.....

Damn, now I'm hungry!  Good thing I'm going home for all that on Thursday.  
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:09:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Traditional stuff, because it's Thanksgiving godammit, and I will set the house on fire if we don't!

No seriously though, don't fuck with my traditional thanksgiving dinner.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:10:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

My mom does something similar at times, but it's not called green "goop" ... instead, it's called "green stuff"; and it has marshmallows in it.

Yeah, we call ours "fluff"
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:14:18 PM EDT
[#13]
We normally eat penguin but this year we are going out to eat rather than spending our money on a bunch of food and preparing it for just the three of us.

Our family  lives around the Chicago suburbs and is hard to make it back home for the holidays.  

Last year and every other year we spend all day cooking and preparing for our meal but not this year.  We are letting someone else do the cooking for us.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:20:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Our family is generally traditional, but tomorrow I'm going to make cullin skink that nobody has ever served (in our family for holidays) but finnan haddie is very common on Christmas morning with us.  They both (resipes) use smoked haddock as the base and so that is what I will use.  It is a soup and not a main dish (like Christmas). But with a scottish ancestry, I don't think I can miss.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:40:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
alcohol, thinly vield insults, guilt trips and boring conversation

We have a winner
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:07:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would flat out refuse to go there.

I understand your outrage but Tofurkey is good.  I'm not a vegetarian but when I cook Thanksgiving dinner, I make Tofurkey even when no vegetarians are present.  

Yes, I will have both turkey and Tofurkey on my plate because both are delicious.

I bought a Tofurkey today and plan to make it tomorrow for an early Tday with my kid.

You need to get the fuck out of Texas with that kind of talk.  
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:17:56 AM EDT
[#17]
If you don't eat turkey on Thanksgiving, then you're a terrorist.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:25:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
first guy who says "penguin" is going to be spending the holidays posting kitty pictures on Glocktalk

That didn't take long!  Hell of a preemptive strike there, Aimless!  

Bryan
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:26:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Bambi bits, bird, pig, taters and pie.  

Well, that and rum...
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:29:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My ex-wife was and that was what she served.  God it's disgusting.  Can you at least eat real turkey yourself?

I could if I wanted to but TBH, I think Tofurkey tastes great.  I love it.  

The rolls made without milk and eggs, however, are bleh.  They are flat or something, don't care for them at all.

Stockholm syndrome.

If you see a shrink about that and get your head right on the tofurkey issue and subsequently need a new family for Thanksgiving, you're welcome at my table.  I don't believe there will be any item on the dinner table that will be vegetarian/vegan approved... Just like the pilgrims, the founding fathers, God, and Julia Child intended.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:33:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Curios as to when your family started that.   My mother's family has done the same thing for decades.  My mom won a contest in the 1960s from the Detroit News for her recipe.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:53:11 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

One year, I finally spoke up and asked everyone "Who here actually likes turkey on Thanksgiving?" No one spoke up or raised their hand. Since then we have had anything from venison, to meatloaf, to BBQ. And everyone is happier.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:54:52 AM EDT
[#23]
I LIVE for Thanksgiving dinner at my mom's family. They are a bunch of breeders, with 9 new kids every year packed in the same house, but the food is epic.

My aunt makes scrap egg noodles that I would kill a man over. I long for them 364.5 days per year.

Last night my mom called and said she is making them herself this year because my aunt is too busy with all the new spawn.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:06:57 AM EDT
[#24]
What does your family serve for Thanksgiving dinner?

Nothing.  But the restaurant we go to has a buffet with all the traditional turkey dinner plus roast beef, pork roast, and a full range of seafood.  I look forward to it all year.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:19:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Nothing.  But the restaurant we go to has a buffet with all the traditional turkey dinner plus roast beef, pork roast, and a full range of seafood.  I look forward to it all year.

I've actually never done a restaurant T-day.  Is that what you've always done?  If not, does it lack a certain something?  I always suspected it would.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:25:48 AM EDT
[#26]
When I was growing up we always had spaghetti, lasagna, garlic bread as well as turkey, taters, green beans, pies. My grandma was from an Italian family. After she died and everyone started moving to opposite ends of the earth the "tradition" died out. Because I grew up like that, the first time I went to someone else's house for Thanksgiving/Christmas I was shocked not to have all the Italian fare.

I think I'll make spaghetti sauce today... Everyone will be surprised!
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:42:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:
first guy who says "penguin" is going to be spending the holidays posting kitty pictures on Glocktalk

Don't laugh. I've heard penguin tastes ljke turduckin.  Just saying.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:30:35 AM EDT
[#28]
The s/o and I are doing duck..

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:07:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've actually never done a restaurant T-day.  Is that what you've always done?  If not, does it lack a certain something?  I always suspected it would.

No, when I was a child, my family always had T-day dinner at home.  I've been single most of my life and I have no family locally - sometimes I went to restaurants, sometimes I ate with friends, and sometimes I cooked for myself and whoever I was seeing at the time.   But six years ago my favorite restaurant started doing a max effort Thanksgiving thing and my ex-boyfriend and I started going to that. Now my husband and I go there with the ex-BF and his wife, the ex's cousin and his wife, and my ex-husband and his wife.  As far as I can tell, mostly what it lacks is a pile of dirty dishes for us womenfolk to wash when we're all finished eating.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:42:31 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Now my husband and I go there with the ex-BF and his wife, the ex's cousin and his wife, and my ex-husband and his wife.  As far as I can tell, mostly what it lacks is a pile of dirty dishes for us womenfolk to wash when we're all finished eating.

Easy to see whats not lacking.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 10:28:58 AM EDT
[#31]
Jack's Links and cheap scotch.  Pop tarts for dessert

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 12:10:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:

One year, I finally spoke up and asked everyone "Who here actually likes turkey on Thanksgiving?" No one spoke up or raised their hand. Since then we have had anything from venison, to meatloaf, to BBQ. And everyone is happier.

Terrorist!

I bet you guys are all screaming "Allah snackbar" as you eat your non-turkey, amirite?

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 12:13:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Jack's Links and cheap scotch.  Pop tarts for dessert  

If you get your ass on a plane, you can be here by din-din.  I won't even ask you to fix anything.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 12:14:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Ham
Turkey
mashed potatoes
Sweet Tea
Coffee
a variety of pies
and cider

Sometimes bourbon
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 12:34:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top