BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 12:29:31 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I would NEVER reach for a sword for self-defense.  And my sensei considers me a shodan (black belt) in kendo (this is after YEARS of training).  I'd think you'd have to be extremely proficient with a sword to be any good in a CQ situation with it, and it is somewhat unwieldy, and can get stuck in stuff (like people) - and you are immediately screwed as soon as the opponent has ANY kind of long-range weapon.  The term "bringing a knife to a gun-fight" springs to mind - not a good situation to be a the wrong end of.

I will reach for a handgun EVERY TIME I'm in need of home defense.   From my infantry experience, a submachine-gun is the BEST CQ weapon, probably followed by handgun or a short-barrelled shotgun, followed by a select-fire rifle, followed by a semi rifle.  Until you asked this question, I woudl never even seriously have thought of a sword as an CQ weapon.

What if you were being attacked by a large corned beef?  Or a head of killer cabbage?What if  I wasn't there to cook it for you folks who are unitiated in the sacred rights of the cabbage?  Wouldn't shooting a cabbage be overkill?  Would the sword NOT be ideal for the dispatching of the corned beef to the eternal crock pot of Fin McCool????
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 3:54:13 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I prefer something a bit more "Beefy"

My choice

I have one of those.

Me too, I have 1 of the first 8 made out of the entire line, mine is pre-20th anniversay!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top