Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 4:26:47 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Some of you are the most narrowminded backwards singularly stereotypical gunowners that make it easy for people to look down at us.

Give me a break.  Being educated doesn't make us narrowminded or backwards.  It just means we know bullshit when we see it.

Link Posted: 10/26/2005 2:00:28 PM EDT
[#2]
The people saying im ridiculous are also saying that "god" makes them a rainbow as a promise to never flood the earth again. I guess it is me that's nuts?
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:25:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Sorry to dig up this old topic, I was trying to find some information on the cx4 storm and found this.  Do you have any specific sources for a flood/cataclysmic type myth in Asian folklore?  It's clear to see that if one studies ancient Assyriology that most cultures of the near/middle east in that time period had some type of folklore regarding an event such as this.  I'd simply be interested in studying any other such documented events in other regions of the world.

I'm not supporting this theory of a 10k year super mega shit storm, but to dismiss it as BS is like saying the earth does not go through ice ages or that god created Adam and Eve before the dinosaurs.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:32:41 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Im not an astrophyisicist and I am just using my intuition on making a theory.

But then again I know nothing about what im talking about.

Quite apparent
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:44:05 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I think 10000 has a comma in it.

Fixed it.

Actually, he really did fix that up.  In europe the decimal point is also a comma.  So a 7.62 x 51 here is 7,62 x 51 over there.

So now if he will please fix that 100,00 and adjust it to 10,000,00 it will be showing the correct value I shall be very happy and I will also get off his back.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 10:33:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I read a book about the whole ice-domed earth thing that was written in the 50s or 60s.  "The Marvel of the Earth's Canopies".  Its total BS.  

Now, perhaps there is an occasional BIG storm on earth, kinda link the storm in the Day After Tomorrow, but not quite so stupid.  BTW - the book that the movie is based off of was written by Art Bell, host of After Dark, on Coast to Coast AM.... He's a kook, to say the least.  He's been right a couple times, but that doesn't excuse him from being a kook!

I find it more likely that the Great Flood was either an act of God, or possibly a distant racial memory from a time when mankind was confined to one geographical region.  A flood that wiped out most of us when intelligence was just dawning would probably have been passed down to just about everyone on Earth.

As for the whole God thing, to each his own.  Its highly unlikely that we came from the primordial ooze IMO - however, I understand, at least partially, that if there is no God, and random chance created life, and then sentient life, if the odds didn't happen, that there would never be a being to think "Hmm, that's unlikely".  Therefore, no matter how unlikely, if it happened ONCE, somewhere out there - maybe here - there is a being thinking "HMMMM.... that sounds unlikely". :)
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 2:16:51 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't know about a storm or flood,but
I do believe in a natural cataclism occuring around
every 12,000 years.

I've heard theories from a meteor show ,to a change in the
Earths eliptical orbit around the sun causing a slight shift
in the polls.

I've read several books and seen quite a few documentarys
that have shown evidence of a periodic mass extermination
that occurs around every 12,000 years.

Pretty much all of these said there's no conclusive evidence of
what causes it,just that around 60% of all species become extinct
within a 2 year span.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 2:55:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Wow, people really have a problem with their mortality.
If I expand that meaning of storm to represent turbulent weather, not just flooding, I am fairly confident that at least once in a 10,000 year stretch there will be a major weather event that will affect wide spread areas. I am not saying that a worldwide flood will just happen, at least not without a major change to the way the big ball orbits around the sun, but world wide destruction is not that difficult to comprehend.

A significant perturbation of the planets rotation, or more likely, a chance impact with another large object in space, could easily disrupt life as we know it. Granted its unlikely to happen in our lifetime....but events like this have occurred on Earth and no doubt will again.

I'm not a siesmic expert, but I would imagine that if a localized earthquake occurred with enough impact to significantly disrupt a tectonic plate and force a severe shift, that the movement could trigger a shift in an adjacent plate, and so on, and so on....creating a chain reaction which results in a global quake. With every ocean and sea sitting on top of an earthquake, all at the same time, it is pretty easy to imagine worldwide destruction.

Im not saying it will happen, but I dont think its possible to prove that it cant happen either.
Highly unlikely? Sure. Impossible? probably not.
Something to prepare for? No point - nothing we could do anyway.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 3:22:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 3:42:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Now that I think about it, a huge storm could explain why Adam and Eve rode dinosaurs to church...
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 3:57:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:16:22 AM EDT
[#12]
I tried to read Worlds in Collision when I was in highschool. Even at that age I couldnt swallow the crap in it.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:18:13 AM EDT
[#13]
I don't understand anything I know about this topic.

I think my house will float - lots of wood.

I have a few cans of soup put away for emergencies, and a big truck tire tube to blow up "just in case." My cat's litter box will float, too.

I'll be just fine.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:25:17 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I thought the reason Methuselah lived 969 years was because the Earth he lived in was surrounded by ice, and that kept the sun’s deadly aging rays off of him.

Then one day, all the ice melted – and boom – instant flood.

Wait a tick.  969 years…969?

969 years times 12 months in a year equals 11628   [Edited: 11,628].

1 + 1 + 6 = 8

969 = 8 2 8

or

!

[southpark astronomer]

Let's see...   =

Snorkelers have snorkels....

Shamu was an orca...

Orcas are found in the ocean...

Therefore....    Johnny Depp will destroy the Earth!!

[/southpark astronomer]
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:32:36 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
And if the ice caps did melt, wouldnt sea level go down?  I mean since most of the ice is underwater and ice takes up more space than water does.

That only works in a glass of ice tea.  

Of course it only works in a glass of ice tea, but don't you see?

[southpark astronomer]

Ice tea has tea in it.

There is also ice in it.

Sometimes people put sugar in it, sometimes a lemon...

You need a spoon to stir it...

There is no spoon...

Keanu Reeves heard that from that little bald kid...

Laurence Fishburne was also in that movie...

Fishburne is black...

So is Samuel L. Jackson...

Samuel L. Jackson will destroy the Earth! With an AK-47!! "AK-47! When absolutely everything on the Earth must be killed, accept no substitutes! For I am my brother's keeper!"

[/southpark astronomer]
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 5:40:13 AM EDT
[#16]
10,000 year storm?

Isnt that what the guy in Point Break was waiting for?
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:34:12 AM EDT
[#17]
I know..Get your tin foil hat out...

This has more truth in it, and destroys the global warming freak theories.

Hyperdimesional link

The planet Nibiru theory on the great floods and quakes of the past and near future..

Nibiru
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:43:55 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
And if the ice caps did melt, wouldnt sea level go down?  I mean since most of the ice is underwater and ice takes up more space than water does.

That only works in a glass of ice tea.  

Ah-HA! I've netted an imposter Texan! There is no such thing as "ice(d) tea" in Texas! There's only "sweetea!"

Ban him!

Sadly the influx of damnyankees has made it harder to find sweetea in Texas.  I have to ask at any new restaurant if they have sweetea. :(

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:43:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:54:43 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Hyperdimesional link

The planet Nibiru theory on the great floods and quakes of the past and near future..

Nibiru

oh man, you posted planet X stuff  

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:33:58 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hyperdimesional link

Nibiru

Had too.

Its said to be linked to the great floods of the past.

It would be interesting if it turns out to be real and it prove that the accient civilizations did see it the last time it came around ..
It could also be what is causing the current events going on with the sun. Something caused the sun's magnetic poles to flip. Something is exiting the sun to act up, and its not something that man is doing here on Earth. If the sun is heating up all the planets all the way to Pluto, cant we agree that the Earth is warming because of the sun and not man.

The Enterprise Mission story is linked to NASA findings and facts that scientist once said that these events have not and would not happen..

The old science guards dont like changes, or the theories proved wrong.

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:44:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:47:25 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hyperdimesional link

Nibiru

Had too.

Its said to be linked to the great floods of the past.

It would be interesting if it turns out to be real and it prove that the accient civilizations did see it the last time it came around ..
It could also be what is causing the current events going on with the sun. Something caused the sun's magnetic poles to flip. Something is exiting the sun to act up, and its not something that man is doing here on Earth. If the sun is heating up all the planets all the way to Pluto, cant we agree that the Earth is warming because of the sun and not man.

The Enterprise Mission story is linked to NASA findings and facts that scientist once said that these events have not and would not happen..

The old science guards dont like changes, or the theories proved wrong.

Wow, do you guys really live in that world?  Say hi to Gene Roddenberry for me.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:55:19 AM EDT
[#24]
well there are a fair number of geoligists  that have came to the conclusion that major big  tsunami's happen on a  regular basis. I forget the number but its in the magnatude of 1000's of years.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 10:14:21 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
well there are a fair number of geoligists  that have came to the conclusion that major big  tsunami's happen on a  regular basis. I forget the number but its in the magnatude of 1000's of years.

Talk about Tsunami's.. This one is the most deadliest to the east coast of the US.

La Palma

The landslide could cause a tsunami that would be over 1000 ft in hieght with a wave lenght as long as 120 miles start to finish. That's  only one wave of many.

Its suppose to be able to go completely go over Florida, Bermuda, Cuba, And the Virgin Islands. It will be able to travel over 500 miles into the Amazon river and its tributaries.

Yes.. This wave and floods would be Biblical proportions..
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 10:23:08 AM EDT
[#26]
Who gathers all the animals?
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 10:38:22 AM EDT
[#27]
We'll just haveto move all the animal inland and the liberals to the coastline.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 10:59:26 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Talk about Tsunami's.. This one is the most deadliest to the east coast of the US.

La Palma

The landslide could cause a tsunami that would be over 1000 ft in hieght with a wave lenght as long as 120 miles start to finish. That's  only one wave of many.

Its suppose to be able to go completely go over Florida, Bermuda, Cuba, And the Virgin Islands. It will be able to travel over 500 miles into the Amazon river and its tributaries.

Do you believe that the Earth gets it's gravity from the moon?

Yeah, I watched the same special on Super Tsunami's......but there is no fucking way a 1000ft wave in going to go completly over Florida.

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 11:48:29 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 11:56:05 AM EDT
[#30]
wont matter after 2012...
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 12:24:13 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

La Palma

Do you believe that the Earth gets it's gravity from the moon?

Yeah, I watched the same special on Super Tsunami's......but there is no fucking way a 1000ft wave in going to go completly over Florida.

That super Tsunami show sucked. It only talked breifly about the faultline on the west coast, not La Palma. Then it went back to the Asian Tsunami. The producer reuses the film footage for all his socalled new shows on the tsunamis..

La Palma isn't the only island to have a landslide that will hit the US.

We should be greatfull that is was only 25 acres of the the Big Island. Had it been the 22 mile strech of the Island the west coast of the US would have been hit with a giant tsunami.

The Tsunami show omitted that as a greater danger to the US mainland..

Link
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 12:28:48 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
The throery that every 10-15 thousand years the earth shits out a enormous flooding super storm that pretty much developed the whole flood story from the bible. Every civiilzation has a flood story. We're talking ones as different as the Indians and the Asian peoples all having stories pretty much the same from the exact same time periods. There is some evidence to support it from geography and biology such as the caves full of various animals all impacted together at tremendous force. The sediments full of dead crushed forests. Just got me to thinking about our current weather situations and this theory. I read once that Einstein was a big proponent of it as well.  I think one of his contemporaries in Russia wrote a book called "Worlds in Collision".

You’re wrong.  The flood myths that have common elements are all from Indo-European civilizations.  These cultures have a lot more in common than just a flood myth.  The reason being is that they all come from the same original culture that spread across the Eurasian land mass.  IF you ever take a comparative myth or classical mythology story you will learn that Greek/Roman/Hittite/Sumerian/Egyptian/etc myth have a lot of elements in common.

I should add a lot of ancient cultures have a lot of mythology that is strangely similar to Christian beliefs...
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 2:37:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Without having read any more than the 1st page, I'll say that they have geologic records of numerous flood events.  An epochal flood every 10,000 years may be a normal event, just like the shifting of the magnetic poles.  The time span of human existence on planet Earth is a blip compared to geologic records.

I'm nearly sure these catastrophes will happen again but as our lifespan is only around 100 years and the events are every 10,000 years, even insurance companies are not making book on them.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top