User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 4:53:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I get a combination of responses;

Q: Are they legal to own?
A: No, and now you must die! (Like I'd tell everyone about any illegal weapons I own).

When I mention that I'm a target shooter and not a hunter I get 'as long as you don't hunt then it's ok'. I usually say 'what, you don't like to eat?

If I mention my military background, I usually catch a break. My response to that is usually something like, 'owning a gun is a right, not a condition of service'.

Most people I speak to are actually surprised at the legal hoops gun owners have to jump through, espically as it pertains to pistols. After they find out that it may take a year to get a permit, they often don't understand why. My response is 'that's what you've been voting for all these years'.

Link Posted: 6/19/2003 5:13:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 5:43:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I got tired of the lame jokes a while back; when someone makes a "postal" joke I tell them:
"If I'm not a homicidal maniac, why would you insult me by calling me a killer?
If I [b]am[/b], it's pretty stupid of you to piss me off like this, isn't it?"

I do not worry about the burglary concern for a couple reasons.  There aren't many guns stolen around here, it's bad business;  my security setup is really good; and anyone that knows I have them knows they have a better chance of a big score [b] and surviving[/b] if they rob elsewhere.
I do believe that gun ownership is a deterrent; and there are high-dollar homes nearby with liberal yuppies in them.  Easy meat.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 6:00:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Straw purchases specifically target people who cannot own guns; you know, felons and such.
View Quote

wrong....a straw purchase is where person A gives person B some money to buy them a gun. person B fill out the paperwork, then gives gun to person A.

it says nothing about person A being a felon or not able to own a gun, However, that is usually the case. if your mom was to buy the gun for you as a gift, that is OK. you giving her money to buy it for you is illegal.

Straw purchases specifically target people who cannot own guns
View Quote

that includes you, since you are under age.

that being said. i have no problem with you owning a gun. my parents bought me a couple when i was underage. i sucks to be too young sometimes, but it sucks even more to get old[;)]
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 6:09:15 PM EDT
[#5]
When I go to the range I usually shoot my lower-end stuff.I keep a low profile.

But, when the guys from Orange County show up in their expensive SUV's, 100 dollar haircuts and plastic girlfriends sipping Starbucks I pull out the bling-bling and talk "gunz" like I think I know it all.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 6:13:57 PM EDT
[#6]
My favorite...I was at a wine tasting party...yeah, I know...The subject of guns came up and the hostess mentioned I had some guns. I said, yeah I have a few, the newest one is an AR15 named Lorraine...pause with blank stares...Do you name all your guns? No, I said, just the one. The subject changed pretty quickly. I did extend the offer to take anyone shooting that wanted to. No takers.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 6:14:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Kooter
 6/19/2003 10:00:55 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Straw purchases specifically target people who cannot own guns; you know, felons and such.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

wrong....a straw purchase is where person A gives person B some money to buy them a gun. person B fill out the paperwork, then gives gun to person A.

it says nothing about person A being a felon or not able to own a gun, However, that is usually the case. if your mom was to buy the gun for you as a gift, that is OK. you giving her money to buy it for you is illegal.

that being said. i have no problem with you owning a gun. my parents bought me a couple when i was underage. i sucks to be too young sometimes, but it sucks even more to get old  

The sign at the gun store encouraging people to report straw purchases specifically mentions people forbidden from lawfully owning firearms.  Nothing wrong with me giving money to my mom to buy me a gun because until I am 18 it is still legally hers.  When I turn of age I receive the guns as a gift, simple as that, nothing illegal.  Besides, whose to say I didn't get the money for my birthday to buy my own gift?  I'm surprised anyone of you would bring so much attnetion to this issue.  Young shooters are the future of the sport yet some of you seem to want to hang us out to dry.

Link Posted: 6/19/2003 6:25:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Walked into a gun store a week or two back and picked up an AK I told my mom I wanted her to buy for me (I give her the money, she buys me the gun, being underage and all).  She ask:  "What do you need that for, you can't hunt with that?"  I gave her the dumb white guy stare and said:  "I'm not going to hunt with it, I'm going to rob a bank, and maybe when I'm done with that I'll shoot up school."  After she figured out the stupidity of her question she bought me the gun.
View Quote

[b]Does anyone besides me have a problem with this post?
And exactly what do you find wrong with it?[/b]
View Quote

Nope... no problems here.

But then again this is an AR-owning 16 year old who also recieved his rifle as a gift from a parent in a similar fashion.

Check the 4473. You are allowed to give the gift of firearms.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 6:32:15 PM EDT
[#9]
[url]http://www.atf.gov/forms/4473/page03.htm[/url]

read important notice #1 in the upper left hand corner of the 4473 form. this is page 3. it even gives an example of what can, and cannot be done. it says nothing about Mr. Smith being a felon or otherwise not being able to own a weapon.

i know she is going to give it to you as a gift when you are 18. but you giving her the money now makes it a straw purchase. i'm not trying to "hang you out to dry" just enlightening you, so as you don't run into any problems.

back on topic, i don't tell anyone about my firearms. none of their business in the first place, and i don't want any unnecessary visitors trying to liberate me from my stuff.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 6:44:08 PM EDT
[#10]
I will never say shit to anyone again about my collection.  A year ago I let a good friend see my stash.  He's a good guy but he just doesn't "get it", meaning keep your mouth shut.  Later in the year I'm talking to some hairdresser gal at a party.  She's going on and on about this person and that.  We had never met but when I told her I lived next door to that friend she got wide-eyed and said "Your the guy with the guns!"  I almost had a heart attack on the spot.  I figure everyone in town has heard about me. Bad scene.  I completely blew my own personal and family security.  My fault, don't let it happen to you.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 6:59:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Guns??? What guns? I don't have no stinking guns...
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 7:36:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Unfortunately most of the people i work with that are not ex-fellons.
 Fall into the moron hunter category or the naascar/sports junkie area.

The few that i judge trust worthy, I  get the same stupid questions as everybody else like.

" If TSHTF im going to your house"

" What good is something like that if you cant hunt with it"

One of sports junkie's that i consider very trust worthy told me.
"i just don't understand all the fun in shooting bullets all day."
But he never fails to miss spectator sports on the boob tube.

Another  
Said that it would "conflict with his naascar sundays". and indirectly turned me down.[rolleyes]

Link Posted: 6/19/2003 7:56:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Visiting men: "Wow. Did this place used to be a bank or something?" (I think it's something to do with the vault.)

Visiting women: "Oh my God!" (I think it's something to do with my size 14 feet.)

cynic
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 9:07:11 PM EDT
[#14]
www.atf.gov/forms/4473/page03.htm

read important notice #1 in the upper left hand corner of the 4473 form. this is page 3. it even gives an example of what can, and cannot be done. it says nothing about Mr. Smith being a felon or otherwise not being able to own a weapon.

i know she is going to give it to you as a gift when you are 18. but you giving her the money now makes it a straw purchase. i'm not trying to "hang you out to dry" just enlightening you, so as you don't run into any problems.

back on topic, i don't tell anyone about my firearms. none of their business in the first place, and i don't want any unnecessary visitors trying to liberate me from my stuff.
View Quote

Well, in any event, since I technically do not own the weapon until I am 18 I can just argue I gave my mom the money.  I strongly doubt that the BATF or anyone else could bring up any case.  Nothing else I can just have my mom buy on credit and give her the money at home.  
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 6:44:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I think the most popular question is "what do you need those for" or "why do you need so many"?
View Quote

If that is you in your avator.[wow]

Any Man worth his salt would ask.

Will you marry me?[slap]

IMHO  [wave]
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 7:29:52 PM EDT
[#16]
I would say straw purchase, but in this case it's no different than when my dad would let me shoot his guns. the guns weren't owned by me. I'd feel different if he wasn't a minor or his parents weren't keeping ownership (this is assuming the gun will be kept at his parents house, which I assume is also where he lives)
I'm sure technically the ATF still sees it as a straw purchase though, but it's not like someone was buying a gun for someone that wouldn't be able to pass NICS due to criminal background.
I also have a slight problem with the bank robbing statement simply because I don't like making those kinds of jokes in case an anti ever over heard it

Quoted:
Quoted:
Walked into a gun store a week or two back and picked up an AK I told my mom I wanted her to buy for me (I give her the money, she buys me the gun, being underage and all).  She ask:  "What do you need that for, you can't hunt with that?"  I gave her the dumb white guy stare and said:  "I'm not going to hunt with it, I'm going to rob a bank, and maybe when I'm done with that I'll shoot up school."  After she figured out the stupidity of her question she bought me the gun.
View Quote

View Quote
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 8:05:42 PM EDT
[#17]
I hate it when a friend that you thought you trusted say "He owns guns man" in front of other people.

And why do some people go crazy when they realize I own guns? Big deal.

Link Posted: 6/20/2003 8:11:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think the most popular question is "what do you need those for" or "why do you need so many"?
View Quote

If that is you in your avator.[wow]

Any Man worth his salt would ask.

Will you marry me?[slap]

IMHO  [wave]
View Quote

That's not SeaDweller. That's whats-her-name, oh yeah...Jennifer Love Hewitt
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 9:18:43 PM EDT
[#19]
On a side note..

At my old office building, the local PD was there giving a talk to the various people in the building and said (direct quote here): "if you hear someone say that they own a gun, you should call us and let us know"

Nice, eh?
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 6:20:28 AM EDT
[#20]
REALLY?  Sounds like the PD engaged in attempting to violate civil rights.

What if they had said, "If you see any Jews, you know, they have those funny sideburns and wear those little caps, let us know."  "If you see any Negros around, let us know."  "If you see anyone reading a Bible, let us know."  

Where does it stop?
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 4:24:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 8:42:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Yeah, the deer hunter with his (left over from last season) half box of ammo, sighting in his Bushnell scoped bolt gun, "What do you need something like THAT for? What do you shoot with that?"  

Fix them with an icy, slighly insane looking stare, and mumble, "Anything I want to."  Then they pack up and leave.

Or how about this one?  "You gonna go hunting Islamic terrorists (or Arabs, Moslems, bin Laden, etc)?"  

I just roll my eyes and ignore them.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 9:14:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Hey corpral_chaos, you should go and thank your mom and give her a big hug and a kiss,
because she just commited a felony and could see some serious jail time and some heavy fines.
WAY TO GO MOM!
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 10:30:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The UPS guy wanted to talk to me,wife sends him down to the basement to my shop and gun room,it's cleaning day and both gun safes are wide open,he takes one look and says real loud
[red][b]"HOLY SHIT thats a fucking arsenal!"[/b][/red]
I calmly explain that it is not an arsenal and that all the guns are 100% percent legal.
He is still in a state of shock and awe and forgets what he wanted to ask me,he leaves and I haven't seen him since, LOL

By thw way I really don't have an arsenal,it just looks that way to liberals.
View Quote

Did this happen since 9/11, and "Operation Tips"?? Don't forget an ignorant UPS guy helped get those folks in Waco killed....
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 10:46:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Well, having read a few of his posts, I'd always hoped he didn't HAVE a gun!!!

(Not to mention mommy broke the law, after his statement.)
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 11:05:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Okay guys, it's over, he knows next time to change the way he said it, because it is legal to give his mom money, and she buys a rifle that she legally owns.

It's all wording and perception.

So on to the thread:

I get a lot of "is that legal?" and "is that loaded?" (when worn on my hip) with a combination of everything else that has already been said.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 11:16:31 AM EDT
[#27]
What do people say when they hear about your guns?

A pretty blonde walks up to me as I am talking about my new purchase at the office water cooler - two Ithaca 37 shotguns - and she says, "Ooh, I love those Ithaca's. You got a sweet deal on those. Let me know when you come across deals like that..." Then she trails a finger along my shoulder.

Sigh. (Fantasy mode off)

Link Posted: 6/22/2003 11:27:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

it says nothing about person A being a felon or not able to own a gun, However, that is usually the case. if your mom was to buy the gun for you as a gift, that is OK. [red]you giving her money to buy it for you is illegal[/red].

View Quote

that being said. i have no problem with you owning a gun. my parents bought me a couple when i was underage. i sucks to be too young sometimes, but it sucks even more to get old[;)]
View Quote

Not true, the law states there has to be "intent", to hide the identity of the purchaser. The dealer saw the transaction, but knew it was mother & son, and no attempt to "hide" his identity.

From ATF;

A "straw purchase" is a situation in which a person is using a "straw purchaser"(another person) to acquire one or more firearms from a Federally licensed firearms dealer, [red]to hide the identity of the true purchaser or ultimate possessor[/red] of the firearm/s.
View Quote

[url]http://www.atf.treas.gov/field/philadelphia/press/050101straw.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 12:14:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Wow, I gotta say, I'm seriously disappointed in some of you.  The statement was made directly too my mom, very discretely, no one over heard.  I know damn well I could get arrested for saying shit like that, even if the courts couldn't prosecute it I'd still spend a night in juvy.  And y'all need to get it out of your head, it wasnt a straw purchase.  I gave my mom 60 bucks cash (she owed me the rest) and the dealer knew exactly what was going on.  Nothing else I could always say I gave the money to my mom because I wanted to buy her a gun, because it belongs to her, whether I cart it off when I turn 18 is up to her.  Man, I thought ARFCOM had some cool people but now I see a lot of 'em are assholes.

Liberty, I hope you didn't mean that shit.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 1:24:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Here in Texas you're almost expected to have some type of firearm.  When I first moved down here from NY I was asked why I DIDN'T own a firearm.  It seemed everyone around me had at least one of every type of firearm.

These were some of the questions I got:

"Why don't you have a handgun/rifle/shot gun?"
"Are you one of those left-wing gun grabbers?"
"You're in Texas now, you need to learn to shoot.  It's your God-given right".

Once I did get my first gun (Colt A3, 20in.HBAR), I was reminded that "you can't learn the game of golf with just a putter, you need the whole set of clubs".
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 2:05:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Wow, I gotta say, I'm seriously disappointed in some of you.  The statement was made directly too my mom, very discretely, no one over heard.  I know damn well I could get arrested for saying shit like that, even if the courts couldn't prosecute it I'd still spend a night in juvy.  And y'all need to get it out of your head, it wasnt a straw purchase.  I gave my mom 60 bucks cash (she owed me the rest) and the dealer knew exactly what was going on.  Nothing else I could always say I gave the money to my mom because I wanted to buy her a gun, because it belongs to her, whether I cart it off when I turn 18 is up to her.  Man, I thought ARFCOM had some cool people but now I see a lot of 'em are assholes.

[red]Liberty[/red], I hope you didn't mean that shit.
View Quote

Ummmm, you may wanna re-read my post. I said the sale is not a straw purchase.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 4:15:31 PM EDT
[#32]
liberty86
 6/22/2003 2:46:06 PM

Quoted:

Quoted:
Walked into a gun store a week or two back and picked up an AK I told my mom I wanted her to buy for me (I give her the money, she buys me the gun, being underage and all). She ask: "What do you need that for, you can't hunt with that?" I gave her the dumb white guy stare and said: "I'm not going to hunt with it, I'm going to rob a bank, and maybe when I'm done with that I'll shoot up school." After she figured out the stupidity of her question she bought me the gun.

Does anyone besides me have a problem with this post?
And exactly what do you find wrong with it?

[red]Well, having read a few of his posts, I'd always hoped he [u]didn't[/u] HAVE a gun!!![/red]

(Not to mention mommy broke the law, after his statement.)
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/23/2003 9:05:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Straw purchase.
View Quote

Its legal. Still. I should know, my dad buys me all my guns. I give him the money and tell him what. Its a pain in the ass getting more ammo that way too.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 9:14:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
(snip)

(snip) "you can't learn the game of golf with just a putter, you need the whole set of clubs".
View Quote

I think I'll try these out on my liberal neighbors tom'w......then our social isolation here in suburban Massachusetts will be complete....[rolleyes][:D]
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 8:21:31 AM EDT
[#35]
Don't you need a license for that?
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 9:00:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 10:38:25 AM EDT
[#37]
Wow, isn't that the gun Al Pacino used in "Heat"?
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 11:10:48 AM EDT
[#38]
I am an elementary education major, so its all chicks in my classes. They usually say, "oh, thats cool". I am sure they think I am a nut though.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 11:22:01 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Here in Texas you're almost expected to have some type of firearm.  When I first moved down here from NY I was asked why I DIDN'T own a firearm.  It seemed everyone around me had at least one of every type of firearm.

These were some of the questions I got:

"You're in Texas now, you need to learn to shoot.  It's your God-given right".

Once I did get my first gun (Colt A3, 20in.HBAR), I was reminded that "you can't learn the game of golf with just a putter, you need the whole set of clubs".
View Quote

That's exactly the kind of thing that makes Texas not just tolerable, but home.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 11:33:36 AM EDT
[#40]
them:    "why do you have 9 guns?"

me:       " Because I can't afford 10 right now."
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 11:57:07 AM EDT
[#41]
Given the fact that I go to a surprisingly liberal school, and the fact that I live in CA, I just keep my mouth shut about my interest in guns.  I have lost friends who found out I was into guns, been accused of being a lesbian by others, and I do NOT look like a bull dike!  [:)]  I had back surgery two months ago, and needed help at the grocery store getting my bags to my car.  One time I went through the line with my groceries and a handgun mag, and I literally couldn't get any of the people to help me, they all were suddenly busy.  I had to make a stink to get anyone to finally help me.

I have learned that, at least here in SoCal, I am much better off keeping quiet about my interest in guns.  Along with the fact that it is the quickest way to get yourself ostracized, I'm also leery of the criminals that hang around, waiting to hear people talk about what they have back at home.  I would hate for my guns to be stolen, and then have the incident used as even MORE fodder for the idiots here to pass more gun control.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 12:19:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

same....bastards
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 12:33:11 PM EDT
[#43]
"Cool! Can you teach me to shoot?"

"Cool! Me too!"

"What are you, a nut?"

"Remind me not to piss you off."

"When the blacks riot, I'm coming to your house!" (Before you get all PC on me, I live in Miami, which has a history of repeated riots by blacks.)

"But what aout your kids?" (To which I reply, "Yep. They have some too!")

etc., etc.....
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top