Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:17:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I will answer as a 46 year old guy. I keep thinking about buying a Porsche 911 Turbo S for myself. I can now afford it if I choose to buy one. I could care less about being a chick magnet because I have an awesome wife. I will speed like a mother****er because I drive fast and usually get away with it, knowing when and where to hit it. The only problem is I keep buying damn Machineguns. Did I tell you guys my wife is awesome
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:17:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Double parking asswads drive all sorts of vehicles.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:17:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

what chassis P car?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I bought mine right after I turned 27, and drove it like I stole it.  I was 26 when I ordered it.  I was the small, small, very small minority.  I always hated the old guys that drove slower than my grandmother and put all the gay Chrome inlay stickers, axle covers with Vette symbol on it and stick on louvers on the tail lights.  These exact same people are the reason I will never buy another Corvette again, I dont care how fast they can make plastic go.  It'll be Porsche for me from now on

what chassis P car?

I already had a used 03 Turbo.  Honestly though im thinking a Caymen S
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:18:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I bought mine right after I turned 27, and drove it like I stole it.  I was 26 when I ordered it.  I was the small, small, very small minority.  I always hated the old guys that drove slower than my grandmother and put all the gay Chrome inlay stickers, axle covers with Vette symbol on it and stick on louvers on the tail lights.  These exact same people are the reason I will never buy another Corvette again, I dont care how fast they can make plastic go.  It'll be Porsche for me from now on

what chassis P car?

The new Cayman S's are really nice
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:19:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I survived a shitty marriage and spent  more than a decade fighting my way out of financial hell.

I didn't buy a vette, I bought this instead.

I don't give a fuck what chicks think of it, or why I bought it. Or dudes for that matter

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:19:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I will answer as a 46 year old guy. I keep thinking about buying a Porsche 911 Turbo S for myself. I can now afford it if I choose to buy one. I could care less about being a chick magnet because I have an awesome wife. I will speed like a mother****er because I drive fast and usually get away with it, knowing when and where to hit it. The only problem is I keep buying damn Machineguns. Did I tell you guys my wife is awesome
View Quote

911 Turbo S? Do it
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:19:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Because they've wanted one all there life and can finally afford the fucking thing!

I've wanted one since before I could drive.  Only now am I getting close to maybe buying a used one.
View Quote

This.  Shit is expensive and when you're young you don't have any money.  I get it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:19:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I understand that, but why a Corvette versus other options? Just curious
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Maybe because they've busted their ass their whole lives to make something of themselves and this is their reward??

They outgrew the Bieber Fever...
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:20:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I know it's a stereotype but it seems to be mostly true

Also why do the majority of them drive it 5-10mph below the speed limit?

And why do they double park?

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2134/2404967457_725cf820c2.jpg?v=0

View Quote

I can answer one of the three questions. I don't know why they drive slow, or if they even do. I don't know why they park like idiots, I have seen this a few times myself though.

However, I did buy my wife a cherry 350z Grand Touring Roadster convertible a few months ago for her semi-retirement. Until last year, she had never even been in a drop top. She went from a used Ford Pinto right to minivans and family cars and that's the way it stayed until all the kids were pretty much on their own.

No kids, no mortgages, zero debt, ...........more free time to have fun.

I wanted to surprise her and I did. She deserves something extra special for all those years sacrificing for the kids and busting her ass at work. She would never buy herself one, so I did it for her. For our lives.....it was the time, just as others have mentioned.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:21:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Most middle aged men grew up with American cars, the foreign cars were not popular when they were younger. What other American car has been around for this long? Not sure if you have checked out the latest Corvette (7th generation) or not. The Z06 is pretty amazing!

I do not agree that most drive below the speed limit. I do agree that most don't speed. Speeding is for the race track, not driving around town....

Most middle aged men don't double park. Most of the guys that drive nice cars park in the back as to avoid dings in the paint. It only takes a few extra minutes to properly park your car away from others, however it only takes a second to get a door ding that will last forever. Take a look at all the folks that park near the front... most of them have POS cars, and will drive around the parking lot for 5 minutes looking for the closest spots (I am not referring to handicapped drivers).

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:21:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

what chassis P car?

Looks and handling are perfect for me.  I've had enough fast muscle cars.  I think the Caymen S will be perfect for me
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:21:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

what chassis P car?

996 Turbo's are a great value. I am with you though, the looks of the Cayman are tough to beat. That and they handle well.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:22:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Thanks for your service.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Maybe because they've busted their ass their whole lives to make something of themselves and this is their reward??

And maybe some of them enlisted at the age of 18 and volunteered for Vietnam not knowing what the fuck they were doing and having only 15 dollars in their pocket because they gave all of their savings from bagging groceries for two years to their mother because their father was a drunk and gambler who lost all of his paychecks at the local American legion facility.

And maybe they survived Vietnam, unlike five of their friends who came home in bodybags,  and made the military a career because being in changed them so much they no longer fit in civilian life.

And maybe years later they retired as a regular officer and went on to become a successful research scientist and college professor.  

And maybe they then paid cash for a corvette, after all of that, because they felt they rated one.  

And, maybe, after a few years, they gave the corvette to their only son and they bought a red 1965 mustang and restored it and enjoyed the 1965 mustang much more than the corvette anyway.  

OP, does this answer your question?

Thanks for your service.

You are welcome.  I loved this country and I would have died for it, if necessary, back then.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:23:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
couldn't afford one when they were in their 20s
View Quote

Yep. I cant wait to get my Vette when I turn 50 in 14 years.
They should be super bad ass by then!!
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:23:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm just like in awe that you have enough disposable income at 46 in order to buy one.  I am incredibly jealous.  Just get yourself a used one or slightly used one and save a ton of money.  Seriously, did I mention that you can get used incredible cars?  

2005 Cayman's with 45-50k miles on them are like 25-30k?  I mean you're free to do as you wish but you could even go a little lower on the price point, get used, and then mod the shit out of it and go REALLLLL fast.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:24:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Q: How many times can you live?
A: Once

Buy the vette.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I used to want one, but I am happy with my 06 Tundra.  It's paid for, reliable, and drives nice.  That is good enough for me.  I went the route of getting in shape for my midlife "crisis" (misnomer because I never felt like my life was in a crisis).  I decided I would rather just be fit and healthy and do all the things I enjoy doing outside.  If some dude wants to drive his corvette and that makes him feel good, then more power to him.  If he double parks we all know he is a douchebag and the corvette did little to nothing to help his self image.

Q: How many times can you live?
A: Once

Buy the vette.

I can easily afford it.  I have found far more enjoyment backpacking into remote area with my sons.  I'm just not a things type of person I guess.  I even went to test drive one, it was impressive, just didn't feel compelled to own one.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:25:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Their youth. About 30 to 40 years from now, Evos and the ilk will be those cars.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:25:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Most middle aged men grew up with American cars, the foreign cars were not popular when they were younger. What other American car has been around for this long? Not sure if you have checked out the latest Corvette (7th generation) or not. The Z06 is pretty amazing!

I do not agree that most drive below the speed limit. I do agree that most don't speed. Speeding is for the race track, not driving around town....

Most middle aged men don't double park. Most of the guys that drive nice cars park in the back as to avoid dings in the paint. It only takes a few extra minutes to properly park your car away from others, however it only takes a second to get a door ding that will last forever. Take a look at all the folks that park near the front... most of them have POS cars, and will drive around the parking lot for 5 minutes looking for the closest spots (I am not referring to handicapped drivers).

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good answers, I guess that makes sense. The new Z06 looks nice
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:26:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Double parks a vehicle thats old as me... almost..
View Quote

Judging by the factory Y2K wheels, it's at least a 2000 model. Are you even old enough to have a driver's license yet?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:26:04 PM EDT
[#20]
I took my senior pic with this one.  Its in my garage with 15k on it.

Got rid of my C5 for this.

I am 43.

ETA. Drunk purchased this one.  The wife was the DD that night and did not object.

ETA2 for the C5
. Kinda miss that car.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:26:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I can answer one of the three questions. I don't know why they drive slow, or if they even do. I don't know why they park like idiots, I have seen this a few times myself though.

However, I did buy my wife a cherry 350z Grand Touring Roadster convertible a few months ago for her semi-retirement. Until last year, she had never even been in a drop top. She went from a used Ford Pinto right to minivans and family cars and that's the way it stayed until all the kids were pretty much on their own.

I wanted to surprise her and I did. She deserves something extra special for all those years sacrificing for the kids and busting her ass at work. She would never buy herself one, so I did it for her. For our lives.....it was the time, just as others have mentioned.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:26:54 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

all 3 first replies
View Quote
Yup

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:27:55 PM EDT
[#23]
You guys are slipping...

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:29:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Pretty much, dollar for dollar there isn't anything better, and that's looking at all aspects. Don't even try to bring racing heritage into the argument, When the vettes show up at the 24hrs of LeMans they make all the Euro cars their beyotch.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because the Corvette is a fucking boss of a sports car.

Pretty much, dollar for dollar there isn't anything better, and that's looking at all aspects. Don't even try to bring racing heritage into the argument, When the vettes show up at the 24hrs of LeMans they make all the Euro cars their beyotch.

This...
And I'm a Ford guy at heart...
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:29:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:30:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I'm just like in awe that you have enough disposable income at 46 in order to buy one.  I am incredibly jealous.  Just get yourself a used one or slightly used one and save a ton of money.  Seriously, did I mention that you can get used incredible cars?  

2005 Cayman's with 45-50k miles on them are like 25-30k?  I mean you're free to do as you wish but you could even go a little lower on the price point, get used, and then mod the shit out of it and go REALLLLL fast.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Been a long hard road but I'm very thrifty but my wife is more thrifty. Life might change tomorrow and I'm just average middle income guy, nothing special here.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:30:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's not about looks.

Since the C5, the Corvette has been the car to beat, since it costs next to nothing to upgrade, own and maintain.  It outperforms cars twice the price.   People who want best bang for buck go with the Corvette.  Sometimes an old guy will buy one, but if you've ever watched a half-mile or mile or roll race or circuit race event, they are absolutely chock full of Corvettes.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:30:37 PM EDT
[#28]
We do it just to piss the young Punks off!
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:35:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

It's not about looks.

Since the C5, the Corvette has been the car to beat, since it costs next to nothing to upgrade, own and maintain.  It outperforms cars twice the price.   People who want best bang for buck go with the Corvette.  Sometimes an old guy will buy one, but if you've ever watched a half-mile or mile or roll race or circuit race event, they are absolutely chock full of Corvettes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not about looks.

the Vette has been the car to beat for a lot longer than just since the c5. The c4 was very dominate for the first half of its life, especially in racing. Before that, and my time there were very good ones for sure.

During the 80s, there was literally nothing that could touch a vette in racing. Here is a link for you younger guys.

Corvette Challenge
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:35:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Old dudes got money!  
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:36:40 PM EDT
[#31]
The average Corvette owner here is anywhere between 30 and 60 years old.
People buy them because they love the cars, can afford one, and have a place to keep it. You just don't see them parked on the street.

The average mileage is 5000Km per year. (3000 miles)
I took in a 2008 C6 last summer with just over 8000Km on it, 35 year old oil and gas engineer that wanted a C7.

Some guys buy them for their kids, those Vette's always come back beat to shit.

This is an example of what a spoiled kid does with a free Z06 :

See the shrink wrap on the back window ?
The engine blew up at such a high RPM that it torqued the body and shattered the back window.
Total cost of repairs was $30K

Ran the engine out of oil plus had somebody re-map the ECM.
Kid poked a hole in the oil filter and daddy convinced the insurance company to cover the bill.
We had the car for 6 months before we put a wrench on it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:41:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Because they've wanted one all there life and can finally afford the fucking thing!

I've wanted one since before I could drive.  Only now am I getting close to maybe buying a used one.
View Quote

Pretty much this.

When I was in my early 30s (I'm 44 now), I declared to my wife that I would have a Corvette one day. Having a kid also puts a kink in getting a two-seater coupe when you need a car that will carry 3 people.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:44:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Pretty much this.

When I was in my early 30s (I'm 44 now), I declared to my wife that I would have a Corvette one day. Having a kid also puts a kink in getting a two-seater coupe when you need a car that will carry 3 people.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty much this.

I rode in the "back" of my parents Vette when I was a kid.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:44:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I know it's a stereotype but why do older guys like Corvettes vs. younger people?

View Quote

1) They can finally afford it.
2) They're afraid of hurting it.
3) They're dicks who think "expensive car" means "more important".  Always funny when you see someone park next to them anyway.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:45:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. I think a lot of younger guys would love to have a vette but are never able to afford it until later in life.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:47:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
The average Corvette owner here is anywhere between 30 and 60 years old.
People buy them because they love the cars, can afford one, and have a place to keep it. You just don't see them parked on the street.

The average mileage is 5000Km per year. (3000 miles)
I took in a 2008 C6 last summer with just over 8000Km on it, 35 year old oil and gas engineer that wanted a C7.

Some guys buy them for their kids, those Vette's always come back beat to shit.

This is an example of what a spoiled kid does with a free Z06 :
<a href="http://s1121.photobucket.com/user/Dagger41/media/Picture146.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l519/Dagger41/Picture146.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s1121.photobucket.com/user/Dagger41/media/Picture149.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l519/Dagger41/Picture149.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s1121.photobucket.com/user/Dagger41/media/Picture144.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l519/Dagger41/Picture144.jpg</a>

See the shrink wrap on the back window ?
The engine blew up at such a high RPM that it torqued the body and shattered the back window.
Total cost of repairs was $30K

Ran the engine out of oil plus had somebody re-map the ECM.
Kid poked a hole in the oil filter and daddy convinced the insurance company to cover the bill.
We had the car for 6 months before we put a wrench on it.
View Quote

That is really a shame... the C6Z06 is a REALLY Fast car. Unless you are going to track it, there was no need for performance upgrades.

Instead of spending money on upgrades... the kid should have taken some driving lessons. The car was plenty of fast from the factory...  
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:48:13 PM EDT
[#37]

I'm 33

I'm also touching the line.... oh noes.   (that gives the guy next to me more room and my boss parks on my drivers side and the way the garage is laid out there is plenty of room to park like an asshole since we pay for reserved parking.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:49:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

This. I think a lot of younger guys would love to have a vette but are never able to afford it until later in life.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are just as many younger guys (my age group) who are too much of a snob to be able to appreciate one.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:52:18 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Because I can't afford a real sports/race car like a Porsche 911 Turbo S, GTS.

Screw those jerks double parking.
View Quote
C7 Z06 eats Porsches alive and spits them out dead.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:53:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So would a C6 ZR1!
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:53:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Because Corvettes are awesome?
View Quote

Yes

While i prefer japanese over anything else, the corvette is a bargain for what it is.

Z06 or ZR1 is most bestest.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:57:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The C7Z eats almost every thing out there alive and spits it out.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:58:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 7:00:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Their youth. About 30 to 40 years from now, Evos and the ilk will be those cars.
View Quote

Probably not. Those cars are fun, but they just don't have the staying power of a Corvette. And let's face it, most young kids modify cheap small foreign cars because that's what they can afford. But give them the option to own and modify a Corvette and it's a no brainer. I'll take a C5 Z06 in yellow please.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 7:02:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Well, the money is for nothin' and the chicks are free............................why not a 'vette?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 7:03:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Wisdom.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 7:03:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 7:03:58 PM EDT
[#48]
Ha, I'm 53 and i'm buying a new Surbaru Outback as my reward when I retire in a year.  Really.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 7:06:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Wisdom.
View Quote

God, grant me the serenity to accept that I'm going to die one day,
The courage to dump my sensible commuter for a fast car,
And the wisdom to know the Ferrari was just more than I can afford (Pal).
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 7:08:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

This.  Shit is expensive and when you're young you don't have any money.  I get it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In the early 90s I spent a few years at a local specialty car dealer that specialized in Vettes. That was the reasoning I heard over and over.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top