User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 8:33:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Your job as a manager is to set the employees on a course, then do whatever it takes to HELP them do the job you've asked them to do.  Don't micro manage, your employees are capable of doing their job.  When it comes to the tasks at hand, you are a ship's captain, minor adjustments to the rudder is your job.
View Quote

LOL, ironically I am a ship captain, and that's exactly what I do.

If you constantly get in someone's shit, initiative goes out the window and they won't do anything you don't specifically  them to do, and you won't have time to do their job and your job.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 5:15:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Don't forget where you came from....
View Quote

FPNI
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 11:44:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Lead from the front
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 12:45:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Lead by example.
Be firm but fair.
Make it a point to DO the shittiest jobs there and be SEEN doing them.
Strike "I" from your vocabulary.
Phrase every "order" as a request for help.

Do these 5 things and this will generally go well.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 12:49:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Document.

NEVER, EVER discipline a female employee without another female present. All in writing.

Document.
View Quote

+100000000000000000

I have an all female staff.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 12:56:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Companies are a lot like a tree full of monkeys.

The ones at the top look down and see a bunch of smiling faces.

The ones at the bottom look up and see a bunch of assholes.
View Quote

Classic!
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 1:34:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

+100000000000000000

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Document.

NEVER, EVER discipline a female employee without another female present. All in writing.

Document.

+100000000000000000

I pity you, and +1  Bama.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 1:36:07 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
This.

Also when ass chewing time comes, do it in private. Nothing builds resentment than chewing out an employee in front of other employees or customers.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Lay out expectations right off the bat.

Throw down the hammer when they deserve it.

Give them praise when they've earned it.

Have their back when they need it.

This.

Also when ass chewing time comes, do it in private. Nothing builds resentment than chewing out an employee in front of other employees or customers.

That is totally taboo. Correction needs be done in private.

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 1:45:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 1:52:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Two words: Servant Leadership

You are no better than they are, you just have more responsibility. Your #1 responsibility is taking care of your staff. #2 set crystal clear expectations.

Do that and they will walk through fire for you.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 2:00:48 PM EDT
[#11]
there are two primary sins for management, and both are equally bad: wanting to be liked, and wanting to be feared.  new managers almost always fall into one of these two traps.

the problem is setting your priorities around the employees' perceptions, rather than the team tasks.  i suspect the cause of this is having to come to grips with the idea that as a manager, you're a different order of professional being than line emps...but you're also still part of the team with them.  

maybe i'm making this sound more confusing than it needs to be.  in clearer form, what i mean is that the only thing a manager should be thinking about is performance, and as a manager you are part of that performance.  therefore you shouldn't be concerned with being liked or feared.  you should only be thinking in terms of "how can we do this thing better?".  

on a different note, when you fuck up (which you will), never be afraid to admit it, but never let that admission make you timid.  i read somewhere that the truest test of leadership is how you behave when everything is going to shit and it's all your fault.  if you go into your shell at that point, you will lose all moral authority with your emps.  we all fuck up, but someone still has to lead.  that someone needs to be you.  

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 2:11:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Be honest
Be upfront about issues
Don't get too close
Listen to them and hear them
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 2:18:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Document.

Document.

+100000000000000000

Don't feel bad for me. I've been very fortunate to have a great crew working for me. I've actually have far less drama with the women than the men I've had on staff. The guys ALWAYS wind up trying to be the hot shot macho boss wantabe. The ladies just show up and work. They have always proven to be faster and more accurate too.

YMMV but I'm a happy man at work as far as employees go.
It's amazing the differences in attitudes I've seen between the different sexes in their work ethics.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 6:36:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Not my experience.  You can't pay me enough to work in an environment dominated by women.  I decided a few years ago that manufacturing was dead and went back to school for nursing. I stuck with manufacturing even though I love being a nurse.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 6:44:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Have high standards, demonstrate them and expect them from others.

More carrot, less stick.

Link Posted: 12/15/2013 3:02:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Edited the title to add this is for Medical/Nursing supervision, if anyone has any specific advice for that area
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 3:13:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 3:18:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Opportunities for advancement to management are always present........

What advice would you give to supervisors/management in dealing with employees?

Mainly in order to keep your supervisory job

View Quote

I'd recommend you do what I did.  Quit and find something you can do by yourself  (I build cabinets).  There is no doubt in my mind that if I'd stayed in management I'd be institutionalized by now, either in prison because I strangled someone, or in a asylum because I didn't.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top