Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 11
Link Posted: 5/24/2010 4:31:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Gun is laughing at the naval jelly.  There isn't a damn thing on the barrel.  I would expect at least a caliber on the bbl.

Link Posted: 5/24/2010 4:33:52 PM EDT
[#2]
It's cleaning up great! Looks like it was used as a pistol whipping demo judging by the trigger guard.
Link Posted: 5/24/2010 4:35:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I had a friend tell me he had a firearm he was given that was a rust bucket. He asked around and was told to submerge it in olive oil (!) and that is what he did and he said it worked pretty well at loosening things up. If I remember correctly he left it in the olive oil for a week or two.
Link Posted: 5/24/2010 4:36:22 PM EDT
[#4]
wow...

ballsy dicking around with a murder weapon.

-V
Link Posted: 5/24/2010 4:36:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Be sure to let us know if you get it open!
Link Posted: 5/24/2010 4:36:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Submerge it in "The Works" toilet bowl cleaner, but do it outside.
Link Posted: 5/24/2010 4:37:48 PM EDT
[#7]
F-it wire wheel that bitch, let's get down to it!.
Link Posted: 5/24/2010 4:38:02 PM EDT
[#8]
sweet, that cleaned up fast in the jelly
Link Posted: 5/24/2010 4:38:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
wow...

-V

yeah, blood is hell on a finish.......and you just thought that was rust.

Link Posted: 5/24/2010 4:38:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Go to Harbor Freight tools...

Get yourself a gallon of this stuff called Evaporust..it's in a gray 1 gallon bottle.

Put rusty gun in a pan and fill until it is covered....soak overnight...the rust will just rinse off in water....
Disassemble, clean, oil the parts and enjoy.
It's water soluable and easy on your hands too...and the fluid is reusable...

Beats the shit out of naval jelly, acids, wire brushing, etc...

I have saved at least $1K worth of tools from a rusty hell with this stuff...including turn of the century stuff that I thought was so rusty that it was useless...

Link Posted: 5/24/2010 4:38:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Not to be a dick but you should contact the county sheriff.  Dollars to donuts that was used in something and/or stolen.  If there is a chance they can recover a serial number, who knows where it will go.  Then again, finders keepers in this case.
Link Posted: 5/24/2010 4:40:04 PM EDT
[#12]
And still no one has mentioned bringing it to the local police?
How often do guns get 'lost' out in the woods?
It was put in the ground for a reason....my guess is that there is a case in some file cabinet that would be able to tell you a lot more about that weapons history.

Do the grips come off at all?
Might a S/N on the frame under them.

No matter what, cool find.
I never find anything interesting.
Link Posted: 5/24/2010 4:42:29 PM EDT
[#13]
another vote for notifying the 5-0

how long do you think it took to rust like that? It could have been used in a crime fairly recently if it was near salt water.

eta: reading is fundamental. rivers aren't too salty last time I checked
Link Posted: 5/24/2010 4:45:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
And still no one has mentioned bringing it to the local police?
How often do guns get 'lost' out in the woods?
It was put in the ground for a reason....my guess is that there is a case in some file cabinet that would be able to tell you a lot more about that weapons history.

Do the grips come off at all?
Might a S/N on the frame under them.

No matter what, cool find.
I never find anything interesting.

I thought calling it a murder weapon would make talking to the police a seeable option
Link Posted: 5/24/2010 4:45:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
another vote for notifying the 5-0

how long do you think it took to rust like that? It could have been used in a crime fairly recently if it was near salt water.

eta: reading is fundamental. rivers aren't too salty last time I checked

Ocean front property in Arizona...
Link Posted: 5/24/2010 4:45:24 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

wow...

-V
Yeah OP is probably fucking up a major 40 year old investigation.

Link Posted: 5/24/2010 4:46:28 PM EDT
[#17]
awsome find
Link Posted: 5/24/2010 4:48:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
wow...

-V

Do you believe there is DNA still on the gun?

Rifling still good enough for a comparison?

Serial number was left on the body, so the cops knew which gun killed the victim?

Link Posted: 5/24/2010 4:49:44 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Electrolysis first. It is not hard to do

+1. It's actually kind of fun to figure out.

Link Posted: 5/24/2010 4:52:45 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

wow...

-V
Yeah OP is probably fucking up a major 40 year old investigation.

Grissom or the guy from Miami would have that fucker cleaned up, a complete thumbprint, and  DNA from both the vic and the perp by the first commercial break.  

OP is a non flushing accessory after the fact.  

Link Posted: 5/24/2010 4:55:30 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

You just found the murder weapon.

This

Link Posted: 5/24/2010 4:56:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Got the grip off after clearing all the sand out of the recess.  Came right off with a flat head, no numbers on the frame under there.  On the right side frame in front of the cylinder it says, "TITAN TIGER" and underneath ".38 spl." It has a place of manufacture but the frame is pretty corroded there.

EDIT: Would electrolysis work on an alloy frame?  Also, if it is loaded would it be safe to pass electric current around it even if submerged?
Link Posted: 5/24/2010 4:57:33 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Got the grip off after clearing all the sand out of the recess. Came right off with a flat head, no numbers on the frame under there. On the right side frame in front of the cylinder it says, "TITAN TIGER" and underneath ".38 spl." It has a place of manufacture but the frame is pretty corroded there.

Sweet. Pics or B.S.
Link Posted: 5/24/2010 4:58:11 PM EDT
[#24]
CLR
Link Posted: 5/24/2010 4:58:45 PM EDT
[#25]
I restore BMX bikes.  Vinegar is a wonderful and I mean powerful rust remover.  Soak the gun for 48 hours in straight vinegar and lightly scrub with a brush 2-3 times.  YOU WILL BE SHOCKED!

I've taken rusty vice grips, screwdrivers pliers and they come out 99% GTG.
Link Posted: 5/24/2010 4:59:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Hope this helps:

Weihrauch of Germany made the FIE Titan Tiger revolvers.

They also imported the line through European American Armory for a time and may still.

While they are a fairly inexpensive line, the frames are made of investment cast steel.

The guns are not in the same league quality wise as Smith and Wesson but they are of decent construction and five steps above even cheaper revolvers such as the RG line.

$150.00 would be a fair value for one in excellent or like new condition with the original box and accessories/brochures.

$110-$125.00 without the goodies.

Link Posted: 5/24/2010 5:00:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Got the grip off after clearing all the sand out of the recess. Came right off with a flat head, no numbers on the frame under there. On the right side frame in front of the cylinder it says, "TITAN TIGER" and underneath ".38 spl." It has a place of manufacture but the frame is pretty corroded there.

Sweet. Pics or B.S.

Goddammit! brb....

Link Posted: 5/24/2010 5:02:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/24/2010 5:02:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Cool

unless he finds a SN or gets it into firing condition the cops aren't going to give 2 shits about the f'ed up gun
Link Posted: 5/24/2010 5:03:24 PM EDT
[#30]
You're pretty low on TP too.
Link Posted: 5/24/2010 5:10:41 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Flush that toilette and drink some water, you dehydrated gold digger.

Dammit, why didn't I shut the lid.

Because it is MIA along with your flange bolt cap and toe-nail clippers?  And, it would seem, the flush handle.  

Link Posted: 5/24/2010 5:13:08 PM EDT
[#32]

That's all for now, I have to get to a ballgame.  I'll grab some of the rusteater from Harbor Freight in the morning.

Oh, and it has Miami, FL as place of mfr. on the lower line of stamp pictured above.
Link Posted: 5/24/2010 5:13:57 PM EDT
[#33]
tagged
Link Posted: 5/24/2010 5:13:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Pre-'68 guns may or may not have serial numbers. It may just have been thrown away cause its such a piece of shit with a dented trigger guard that didnt allow the trigger to go forawrd far enough to be reset.

I found an old hardware store bolt action .22 in the foothills outside Boise that was missing the magazine and had the bolt handle broken off. Cost me $75 or so to get a new bolt and magzine for it, and then I had a functioning $50 rifle
Link Posted: 5/24/2010 5:15:09 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Got the grip off after clearing all the sand out of the recess.  Came right off with a flat head, no numbers on the frame under there.  On the right side frame in front of the cylinder it says, "TITAN TIGER" and underneath ".38 spl." It has a place of manufacture but the frame is pretty corroded there.

EDIT: Would electrolysis work on an alloy frame?  Also, if it is loaded would it be safe to pass electric current around it even if submerged?

It should work on anything that conducts electricity and oxidizes. As far as the ammo... I can't say for certain, but there is no sparking involved that would cause ignition. Primers depend on impact. If the hammer isn't striking, it shouldn't be going off even if it was.

They always say handle every firearm as if it was loaded. Point the bath in a safe direction and fire it up. That thing will be spotless in 12 hours.

Link Posted: 5/24/2010 5:19:13 PM EDT
[#36]
After you have it all cleaned up, fire off a cylinder of Cor-Bon .38 +p and post pics of the aftermath
Link Posted: 5/24/2010 5:19:27 PM EDT
[#37]

From the description of one that sold on Gunbroker:

This has got to be the worst piece of CRAP ever produced in 38 Special- It works- but I probably wouldn't shoot blanks in this puppy- Scary-Ass Engineering at it's worst- YOU BUY IT YOU OWN IT- Great example of whatshould NOT be manufactured

Enjoy your find!!!
Link Posted: 5/24/2010 5:20:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I had a friend tell me he had a firearm he was given that was a rust bucket. He asked around and was told to submerge it in olive oil (!) and that is what he did and he said it worked pretty well at loosening things up. If I remember correctly he left it in the olive oil for a week or two.

Olive oil has acids in it.

Better is coca-cola - lots of phosphoric acid.
Link Posted: 5/24/2010 5:22:07 PM EDT
[#39]
tag
Link Posted: 5/24/2010 5:22:23 PM EDT
[#40]
tagged....NWred.....kickass avatar
Link Posted: 5/24/2010 5:24:33 PM EDT
[#41]
I remember you asking about Md'ing a while back you are focking hooked!
Link Posted: 5/24/2010 5:26:58 PM EDT
[#42]
My dad never asked another woman to marry him because he never metal detected upmthe right ring. He always did his Christmas shopping with the detector as well. Cool find. Some hoppes #9 will clean that right up.
Link Posted: 5/24/2010 5:27:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Looks like a god one for the buyback program to me.

+1
Link Posted: 5/24/2010 5:27:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Soak it in molassas and water.  4 to 1 ratio.  Leave it in there for a week.  Something in molassas removes rust after a long soak.  Many auto restoration shops soak hard to find parts in the stuff.  It does not eat the parent metal.
Link Posted: 5/24/2010 5:28:21 PM EDT
[#45]
DB Coopers piece?
Link Posted: 5/24/2010 5:28:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

From the description of one that sold on Gunbroker:

This has got to be the worst piece of CRAP ever produced in 38 Special- It works- but I probably wouldn't shoot blanks in this puppy- Scary-Ass Engineering at it's worst- YOU BUY IT YOU OWN IT- Great example of whatshould NOT be manufactured

Enjoy your find!!!

I didn't know Glock manufactured revolvers....?  

Link Posted: 5/24/2010 5:32:05 PM EDT
[#47]
I remember you asking about Md'ing a while back you are focking hooked!
Link Posted: 5/24/2010 5:35:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Somebody on this site is doing the face plant. While thinking they should have buried it deeper

Face palm.

Fixed gramatical errors as well.
Link Posted: 5/24/2010 5:35:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Range report?
Link Posted: 5/24/2010 5:35:49 PM EDT
[#50]
tag
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top