Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 3:05:49 AM EDT
Good job buddy, I give regularly too.  It's a small thing that can make a big difference.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 3:06:13 AM EDT
The reason you carry is to save lives, whether your own or someone else's.  

Taking it off so that you can donate blood to save a life isn't a conflict in my eyes. It's just a continuation of the moral code that makes you who you are.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 3:07:59 AM EDT
You done a good thing. Someone like you saved my sister's life 19 years ago and without donated blood she wouldn't be here.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 3:15:35 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By thebeekeeper1:

My iron pegs near the top (16.9 today), which is common for men.  Lowering the iron content by draining blood is very good for men.
View Quote

I wonder what the best way to regularly get some blood drained is? I haven't been able to donate for 10 years. Only time a few vials of blood are drawn is at my annual physical. Maybe I should invest in some leeches....

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 3:21:11 AM EDT

Originally Posted By netstorm:

You could well save someone's life, and that could be me or someone else on here. You made the right decision, and I actually commend you for it.
View Quote
I agree but you should write a letter and let them know why you have stopped donating.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 5:54:49 AM EDT
Life is seldom simple, black and white.  My personal ethical calculus makes a distinction between violating a personal principle to benefit oneself and doing the same to benefit others.  If you patronized a "signed" store to save thirty cents a pound on turnips, I would say you were a hypocrite.  In this case, I say you are a principled man who made the correct decision in an ethical dilemma.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 6:02:56 AM EDT
I have more of an ethical issue with how Red Cross hoards money, despite being a charitable organization.

They're also PR whores. When I was in MS after Katrina, they pulled up with their trucks and some local politicians and gave out water, blankets (it was close to 100F), teddy bears, and stale MREs, then drove off and never came back after the cameras were shut off.

I try to give blood, but that doesn't make me think fuzzy thoughts of the Red Cross.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 6:51:24 AM EDT
There is a difference between patronizing your local Starbucks because you like their coffee and doing something that saves lives even though you disagree with their political agenda. I think in that situation you do the right thing regardless and you did.

You can make your own coffee but someone that needed that blood needs it. I just would make sure I had some gun or NRA shirt on while I donated !
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 6:58:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/30/2015 7:04:24 AM EDT by eracer]

Originally Posted By Johnnyb01:

Can't you do it n the blood mobile? Never seen any of the posted
View Quote

I donated once at a bloodmobile at a machinegun shoot.  My CCW was not a problem.

Personally, unless a sign has the force of law, I ignore it.  My individual rights supercede those of any business owner's.  If the law protects their decision not to allow weapons, then I will go elsewhere.  Otherwise, it doesn't enter into my decision to patronize their business at all.  Everyone is entitled to think what they want.

The only place I violate my own principle in this matter is in airports.  I go through security unarmed, rather than stay home or find another form of transportation.  My choice of where to shop is pretty broad.  My choice of how to travel across the country on a business trip is not.  I hate it, but it is what it is.

In this case, I think I would have chosen not to donate.  And then written a letter explaining the reason why.  The airlines don't have a choice in the matter - even though carriage is a contract between a business and its customers, and the federal government has no business interfering in that contract.  In the case of the blood bank, as a private company they are choosing to legally exclude donators who choose to exercise their Constitutional rights.  Fuck 'em.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 7:04:28 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 7:10:33 AM EDT
FWIW, I have yet to hear an advocate of no CCW areas like that explain what they expect people to do with their firearms.

Of course, they would prefer you not cary at all.

But, beyond that, I get nothing.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 7:11:48 AM EDT
I used to donate regularly...then I got sick and had to get chemo and well....I gotta see when I can go back.

While I don't like the politics involved, the people needing blood have no part in them, and are the only ones hurt if you stop.

Get even...eat all the Fig Newtons!
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:06:55 AM EDT

I left it in my car's console.  Illinois CCW law has a list of "prohibited places" that are automatic no-gos (almost always posted too) and then anyone in control of a building can post it with a special sign that makes it a crime to enter while carrying.  It does have the force of law in Illinois, and I'm not losing my gun rights over it.  Especially as I waited for over 30 years to get a CCW, and have worked politically for over 20 years.  Keep in mind we only got it because the NRA/ISRA filed a lawsuit we won.  We were the LAST state to get a CCW law.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 30calTBLkid:

No where in your post does it say you took the gun off. I'm usually so absorbed in my life, I never notice signs like that.

I left it in my car's console.  Illinois CCW law has a list of "prohibited places" that are automatic no-gos (almost always posted too) and then anyone in control of a building can post it with a special sign that makes it a crime to enter while carrying.  It does have the force of law in Illinois, and I'm not losing my gun rights over it.  Especially as I waited for over 30 years to get a CCW, and have worked politically for over 20 years.  Keep in mind we only got it because the NRA/ISRA filed a lawsuit we won.  We were the LAST state to get a CCW law.

So work politically with them.  Tell them you are not comfortable with their policy barring CCW, and don't feel comfortable with their choice.  Ask them to weigh the number of shootings in blood centers (0) against their need for blood.  then tell them when the signs come down, they are free to call you.  There is no reason to compromise your beliefs to help others.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:15:17 AM EDT
Well done op.

Txl
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:30:38 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Undefined:
The Red Cross won't take my blood, so their disdain for my rights is pretty much a moot point. Even so, if they changed their policy I'd let them know that my blood is theirs just as soon as they respect the fact that I exercise my freedom.

As it stands, they still don't like me because I might have mad cow disease...
View Quote

Yeah, what he said. 30 years ago I was stationed in western Europe.  Red Cross STILL won't take my blood all these years later.  Africa, Asia, donate blood?  No problem, please come here!
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:30:53 AM EDT
Originally Posted By PlaymoreMinds:
I used to donate regularly...then I got sick and had to get chemo and well....I gotta see when I can go back.

While I don't like the politics involved, the people needing blood have no part in them, and are the only ones hurt if you stop.

View Quote

I've heard that blood banks will make you wait 5 years post chemo, and some extend it out to 10 years.  It goes blood center by blood center, according to their policies.  I've also heard that some want a letter from your doctor saying he approves you to donate blood.

Sorry it's such a pain in the ass.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:34:20 AM EDT
so your desire to help save lives was more important than your desire to carry a gun legally.

In the grand scheme of things, you did right. It's not like you influenced or denied any rights.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:54:40 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 10:43:46 AM EDT
Originally Posted By ISED8U:
I donate every couple months.  I believe it's good for you.

I completely ignore their bullshit no gun signs.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 10:57:37 AM EDT
I was told years ago that I couldn't donate blood, due to particular vaccines that I've been given. I should see if that's still the case.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 2:25:37 PM EDT
East tn has blood mobiles.

Some are a box truck and go to sites of large groups of workers for specific blood drives, one comes to my work once a month maybe.  Not sure how often, sometimes they show up on a shift I am not there for.

They also have converted buses that will go to larger places like grocery store parking lots by a busy highway or something like that.

There are also places like hospitals to go to as well, my uncle gets fed up with the buses because kids are allowed to run around even though signs say otherwise.  

He is able to go at a time when the place is mostly empty and donate blood in peace and quiet.

I don't know your illinios laws for ccw so I won't recomend breaking the law but I do recomend running some searches to see what is available.

I would expect something portable to go to college campus or other places where there would be a large crowd to draw from, and yeah I figure you can't carry on campus but a lot of times they might be just off campus due to parking.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 3:04:26 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Hunduh:
Tough call.......but I think you made the right decision.
View Quote

This.  I'm glad that you're the type of person who cares enough to try and help others.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 3:11:47 PM EDT
Originally Posted By PlaymoreMinds:

View Quote

After I had melanoma I had to wait 5 years cancer free before the Red Cross would accept my blood again.  Other donor places insist on 10 years.

This reminds me, I think the Red Cross is doing another blood drive this weekend.  I'll see if I can get in.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top