Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:41:32 PM EDT
[#1]
When I was in the Marine Corps, half the barracks came down with the flu after there was a diagnosed case of H1N1 on the base.  I never wanna be that sick again.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:43:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Twelve people with an H1N1 strain of influenza have died at UF Health Shands Hospital
since late October, with more than 150 people admitted with the virus --
marking a striking rise in the severity of cases, according to a UF
media release Thursday.  A significant number of the those hospitalized were under 40, and in otherwise good health.
1 of the 12 dead people had received this year's vaccine.  It's unknown how many of the other 150 had received it.
And the 'OH THE NOES VACCINATION DANGER DANGER!!!!' crowd will point to that and say, "SEE, SEE, WE TOLD YOU SO NANNA NANNA BOO BOO!!!"
Of course statiscally valid studies showing a direct correlation between vaccinations and flu prevention mean nothing.

Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:44:21 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You haven't died in a car crash either ...... so you're skipping seat belts as well I assume?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I haven't died from the flu yet. Until I do, I'll skip the shot.  

You haven't died in a car crash either ...... so you're skipping seat belts as well I assume?

Apples and oranges. I've never been sick beyond a common cold in my entire life. No childhood illnesses, nothing. Were my body equally resistant to blunt trauma, then I would consider forgoing seat belts.

Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:47:53 PM EDT
[#4]
People with weakened immune systems, like cancer patients on chemotherapy, don't get vaccinated for the same reason they're more likely to die from the flu.  I wouldn't assume those 13 people were otherwise healthy adults who bought into the Jenny Mcarthyism and went full potato.        

Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:48:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Age 63 here and I can't do flu shots, an egg allergy thing.

same for the wife.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They don't mention age, but I hope all of us Old Farts here have gotten vaccinated, because that shit can carry you off.

Age 63 here and I can't do flu shots, an egg allergy thing.

same for the wife.

There is an "egg free" option, I believe.

ETA:
Protein Sciences announced that the first doses of Flublok (trivalent recombinant hemagglutinin [rHA] influenza vaccine) for the 2013–2014 season will be released in time for vaccinations to start before Thanksgiving.  Flublok is the first protein vaccine to be made in a 100% egg-free system without growing influenza viruses.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:48:44 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Apples and oranges. I've never been sick beyond a common cold in my entire life. No childhood illnesses, nothing. Were my body equally resistant to blunt trauma, then I would consider forgoing seat belts.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm the same way.  I almost never get sick.

But....... I had the flu once.  I NEVER want to get it again.  I believe I nearly died.

And the fact is that your body is not resistant to something it hasn't encountered.  Virulent strains of influenza could infect you before your immune system makes the necessary antibodies.  And if the infection moves quickly, you could die from a cytokine storm before you ever had the chance to prove how good your resistance was.

Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:51:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

But....... I had the flu once.  I NEVER want to get it again.  I believe I nearly died.

And the fact is that your body is not resistant to something it hasn't encountered.  Virulent strains of influenza could infect you before your immune system makes the necessary antibodies.  And if the infection moves quickly, you could die from a cytokine storm before you ever had the chance to prove how good your resistance was.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cytokine storm is a potential killer with these H1N1 cases.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:52:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
People with weakened immune systems, like cancer patients on chemotherapy, don't get vaccinated for the same reason they're more likely to die from the flu.  I wouldn't assume those 13 people were otherwise healthy adults who bought into the Jenny Mcarthyism and went full potato.          
View All Quotes
Quoted:

H1N1 is a little different.  Google "cytokine storm".

ETA:

Recent reports of high mortality among healthy young adults in the 2009 swine flu outbreak has led to speculation that cytokine storms could be responsible for these deaths, since the Swine Flu results from the same influenza strain as the Spanish Flu of 1918.[10] However, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) have indicated that symptoms reported from this strain so far are similar to those of normal seasonal flu,[11] with the CDC stating that there is "insufficient information to date about clinical complications of this variant of swine-origin influenza A (H1N1) virus infection."[11] Cytokine storm has also been implicated in hantavirus pulmonary syndrome.[12]
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:56:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Looks like they got the vaccine correct this year.
798 out of 799:

Antigenic Characterization*
CDC has antigenically characterized 799 influenza viruses [711 2009 H1N1 viruses, 72 influenza A (H3N2) viruses, and 16 influenza B viruses] collected by U.S. laboratories since October 1, 2013 by hemagglutination inhibition (HI).

2009 H1N1 [711]:

710 (99.8%) of 711 2009 H1N1 viruses tested were characterized as A/California/7/2009-like, the influenza A (H1N1) component of the 2013-2014 Northern Hemisphere influenza vaccine. One (0.2%) virus showed reduced titers with antiserum produced against A/California/7/2009.

Influenza A (H3N2) [72]:

All 72 influenza A (H3N2) viruses tested have been characterized as A/Texas/50/2012-like, the influenza A (H3N2) component of the 2013-2014 Northern Hemisphere influenza vaccine.
Influenza B [16]: Nine (56%) of the 16 influenza B viruses tested belong to B/Yamagata/16/88-lineage and the remaining seven (44%) influenza B viruses tested belong to B/Victoria/02/87 lineage.

Yamagata Lineage [9]: Nine influenza B/Yamagata-lineage viruses were characterized as B/ Massachusetts/2/2012-like, which is included as an influenza B component of the 2013-2014 Northern Hemisphere trivalent and quadrivalent influenza vaccines.
Victoria Lineage [7]: Seven influenza B/Victoria-lineage viruses were characterized as B/Brisbane/60/2008-like, which is included as an influenza B component of the 2013-2014 Northern Hemisphere quadrivalent influenza vaccine.

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/
View Quote

Doctor Clueless to the red phone, please.  Doctor Clueless to the red phone.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 4:04:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Op is using the death of people he doesn't even now as means to gloat about himself and the fucked up belief that he knows what he's talking about.

The actions of a bottom feeder right there.

View Quote

Did you enjoy that?  I did.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 4:20:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 4:42:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Study estimates flu vaccine impact on US infections, hospitalizations
An analysis designed to gauge the impact of flu vaccines from 2005 to 2011 suggests that they prevented 13 million infections and 110,000 hospitalizations in that period, researchers from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reported yesterday in PLoS One.

They estimated the number of flu cases that would have occurred without vaccination based on several factors, including flu season illness and hospital rates, vaccination coverage, and vaccine effectiveness.

The largest number of prevented cases occurred during the 2010-11 season, when the vaccine may have averted 5 million infections, 2.1 million doctor's visits, and 40,400 hospitalizations. Researchers said that this high point likely reflects expanded vaccination coverage after the 2009 H1N1 pandemic.

The lowest number of illnesses prevented was during the 2006-07 season, when 1.1 million infections were averted. Patterns varied by age-group and time period.

The group suggested that more cases could be prevented by expanding coverage, especially in nonelderly adults.

Joseph Bresee, MD, senior author of the study and medical epidemiologist in the CDC's Influenza Division, said in a EurekAlert press release, "These results confirm the value of influenza vaccination, but highlight the need for more people to get vaccinated and the imperative for vaccines with greater efficacy, especially in the elderly."
View Quote

Sorry herpers, derpers, and Jenny McCarthy acolytes.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top