Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:14:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Not a biggy for me, tried getting the wife and her friends to go topless inside, still no joy.

I went to quote a good size renovation job and the(asian) mother-in-law reminded the son(who owns the house) that I woul have to wear slippers any time I was working inside.

I plan to start  working on that quote so I can turn it in around 2025 which will be the year after I retire...

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:16:06 PM EDT
[#2]
i will take my boots off if there is a damn good reason to:  i.e. mud without being asked as a courtesy

otherwise, fuck you, i'll be outside if you need me

same at my house.  i'd just as soon you didn't track mud in but otherwise come on in
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:16:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I hate it.  I wear shoes in my house.  My cleaning lady vaccums the carper and cleans stains as necessary.

I have three cats and a big dog.  Stepping on a wet "hairball" spot in your socks BLOWS ASS.

When we have no animals, I may consider a no-shoes policy for my wife and myself, otherwise, no dice.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:17:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:52:04 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
we tried that in the AZ forum but they crapped all over the place anyway.

Raised in Hawaii, automatic shoes off unless ok'd by host.
Contracting in Portland, rarely a problem-but if I get the vibe, I'll ask the client.  Western work boots make the process a little more streamlined.  Keep your socks in good shape, gtg.

I don't wear shoes around my own house as a rule, it does help keep the dirt outside. Of course, we wipe off the dogs" feet in the mudroom before they're in for the night, too
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:02:28 PM EDT
[#6]
i usually do. but dont really give a damn. wouldnt bother me if it was my house.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:08:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I prefer it...my darn feet need air or they sweat profusely.  
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:31:35 PM EDT
[#8]
If you come to my house, you can take'em off or leave 'em on, you are my guest.

I think it's very rude to ask me to remove my shoes just to enter you're house.  Take a deep breath and get over it.  
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:41:20 PM EDT
[#9]
I fucking HATE that shit... I understand it, but I hate it.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:54:33 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
i will take my boots off if there is a damn good reason to:  i.e. mud without being asked as a courtesy

otherwise, fuck you, i'll be outside if you need me

same at my house.  i'd just as soon you didn't track mud in but otherwise come on in

A huge +1.  I had a friend in CO whose wife would have liked for everyone to take their shoes off....she went crazy with a vacuum for hours after anyone walked in with shoes.  I'm generally not disrespectful, but what the hell....she should see a psychiatrist or something, or stopped inviting us over.  I'm not comfortable taking my shoes off, and they're always clean before walking into a house.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:01:09 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I'm Chinese though.

Where in China do you live?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:07:34 PM EDT
[#12]
I ask guests to go shoes off.

Hate it when my white socks get dingy (that's din-jee, not ding-ee) from walking about the house.

If they wanna wear their shoes, they can shampoo my carpets.

I assume the same at other people's homes unless the owner is wearing shoes.

Unless it's someone I don't like, then I'll look for a fresh, steamy pile of dog crap to "step in" before knocking.  hat
John
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:21:08 PM EDT
[#13]
No shoes hell!!!  Back in high school I ran down a mo fo that hit a neighbors car and left.  I  got a plate and a description of the car.  My neighbor ended up getting his shit fixed.

A few seconds to put on shoes and the perp is probably out of sight.  

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:33:49 PM EDT
[#14]
you dont wear shoes in anybodys house in hawaii except mine .

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:36:33 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
No shoes hell!!!  Back in high school I ran down a mo fo that hit a neighbors car and left.  I  got a plate and a description of the car.  My neighbor ended up getting his shit fixed.

A few seconds to put on shoes and the perp is probably out of sight.  

That's actually a valid point. always being without shoes doesn't bode well if you have to escape the cozy confines of your house, either because of emergency or assault.

I saw a neighbor flee a house fire one time, and came running out of the house into the 15 degree night wearing nothing but his boxers. Not cool.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:10:00 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
If they wanna wear their shoes, they can shampoo my carpets.

Or tell you to fuck off, and not come back.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:22:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:23:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Kids have to take their shoes off in my house.   Especially my boys.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:26:08 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Kids have to take their shoes off in my house.   Especially my boys.

Now THAT I could understand.  Usually, kids don't have the common sense to check thier shoes.

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:38:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Don't buy white carpet then!  My boss' house has white everything, and I had to go there to work on his computer a couple of times.  I had to take my shoes off and walk around in socks.  Very awkward and weird to pad around a house you've never been in before in your socks.

I think it's rude to take your shoes off in someone else's house unless they are a very good friend and they aren't wearing shoes either.  And then only after asking if they mind.

If they ask me to take them off at the door, that's different.  I'll consider it an inconvenience, but I just assume they just had their carpets cleaned or something.  Not that big a deal, but still a little annoying.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:07:12 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I fuckin hate it . One of my friends got re-married
a couple of years ago and his new wife is a shoes
off nazi .  I stopped going over to their house , and
I told him why...

It's called Hospitality.... Look it up

+1
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:08:39 AM EDT
[#22]
shoes off, or you don't come in

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:46:46 AM EDT
[#23]
i can't stand when people tell me to take my shoes off. when i put my shoes on in the morning, i have shoes on my feet till i go to bed. if my shoes are dirty, i take them off long enough to clean them and then put them back on. i don't tell people to take their shoes off when they come to my house and i expect the same courtesy in return. if people tell me to take them off, i usually refuse until they give in.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:45:36 AM EDT
[#24]
"So are you Chinese or Japenese?"
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:46:09 AM EDT
[#25]
The ever so popular double post.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:54:45 AM EDT
[#26]
We live on a farm, with a dirt driveway, and we are in the Oregon rainy season.  Unless you  levitated in, wearing your shoes in the house will make a muddy mess.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:55:40 AM EDT
[#27]
I hate it, and am personally offended when asked to take off my shoes.  My shoes complete my outfit.  I can't tell you how stupid most pants look without shoes, and you look like a slob without shoes on.  It's a pet peeve of mine.  How about if you're a woman in a skirt?  and you're walking around with stocking feet?  That's just wrong.

Unless I'm in my own house the shoes stay on.  It's just freakish to have your guests walking around your house without shoes on.

And for those of you who aren't aware, I don't live in Hawaii, or the Far East.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:59:12 AM EDT
[#28]
This is a Working Mans house. My boots stay on.My guests comfort takes precedence over cleaning so they keep their shoes on.I own a 3 story Victorian with original hardwood floors and as much work as it is to refinish I still belive this.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:00:11 AM EDT
[#29]
"Shoes off" policy is weird to say the least. Are you eating off your floor? Too lazy to use a broom? If you have expensive flooring that scratches or stains easily then I may be able to understand. Other than that you are a freak.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:00:57 AM EDT
[#30]
I take my shoes off at other peoples house even when they don't ask and I let people keep there's on at mine.

I have pergo flooring over all the high traffic areas.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:01:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Its no problem, if you have to ask people remove their shoes, then do so, and have an area in around your house inside or outside to put them.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:04:08 AM EDT
[#32]
I would prefer them off, but generally will not say anything- unless its messy outside or they are just covered in mud
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:07:53 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
No shoes are allowed on my floors. They are off at the door. If they don't like it, they can leave.

+ my size 12...
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:12:26 AM EDT
[#34]
I care more about my guests than my floors..
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:20:57 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Now that's being a good host.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:23:35 AM EDT
[#36]
Wow, you people remind me of those folks I'd meet who only ate takeout since they didn't want to dirty up the kitchen by cooking in it.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:43:25 AM EDT
[#37]
I make my guests walk thru a de-lousing chamber.

My house, my rules, mofo.

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:46:59 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

very true, without my guests I wouldn't have a reason to keep a nice looking apartment anyways
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:49:20 AM EDT
[#39]
We take em off at our house.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:47:03 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
My house was built to be lived in. Things get used and worn. Eventually they wear out and need repaired or replaced. That's all part of owning a home. Asking guests to remove shoes, having rooms/furniture that aren't used or putting plastic covers on furniture is assinine in my opinion.

What he said.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:52:46 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Its understood at some peoples houses, the shoes come off when you enter and at others you can keep em on.  I usually just look to see what the host is wearing.  If their shoes are off then i usually take mine off too out of respect for their house.  Alot of people who get their carpets replaced usually dont like people to wear shoes inside afterwards.

BIG +1 on both points. We don't wear shoes in our house. Too much crap gets drug in and ground into the carpets. And when I walk into a house where the host is shoeless, I always slip mine off as well. Just good manners.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:56:28 AM EDT
[#42]
I take my shoes off when I come in becasue it's more comfortable not wearing them.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 11:03:17 AM EDT
[#43]
Even though my family does not wear shoes in the house, I would never ask my guests to do so.  Many offer to do so but I would never force them to and I really don't want to smell the feet of some of my friends anyway.

But I can't understand why people would sit around in their shoes all day & night in their own homes, unless your floors are so filthy that you need to wear shoes all the time. I prefer the comfort of bare feet at home.

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 11:04:47 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I think it's creepy, a bunch of guests all walking around in their socks. Feels ghey to me, somehow.

Shoes are ok in my house, unless they're dirty.....and I don't go to people's houses often that insist on some sort of disrobing before I can go in.

Not even the Playboy Mansion?
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 11:11:42 AM EDT
[#45]
what is not polite about someone asking you to take your shoes off? I dont know where you guys live, but around here we have Dirt, Mud, Snow. I am also a mere mortal and have to resort to walking to the front door.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 1:45:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Went to my, at that time, future son in laws parents place for dinner.  Walked in this clean but modest apartment and was met with a huge basket of , gag, slippers.  My Wife, Daughter and I were politely asked to remove our shoes and install a pair of pre worn slippers big gag.

Of course, having never experienced this before, and I'm 42 by the way, I was pissed, uncomfortable, and generally miserable.  Yep, my socks have holes in 'em, and I'm much more comfortable with my shoes on in someone elses house.

Total BS.  Vacuum the friggin' carpet when we leave.

Bunch of creeps if you ask me.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:13:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:14:31 PM EDT
[#48]
This is a hot topic that strangely is rarely discussed in polite conversation.

I almost always wear shoes; I have bony feet and my soles dont appreciate standing around barefoot or stocking feet for a long time. We have dogs, so I always have shoes on in my house. In people's houses where shoes are no-no, I abide but am usually unenthusiastic. I was at a friend's apartment one night where shoes are verboten, and ended up having to chase a misguided yoot out of the building in socks- making an already difficult situation much more so.

I always wear clean shoes, and in the winter take great care in removing snow, water, dirt and everything else. At some parties, the bottoms of my shoes look cleaner than most people's feet.

I'm a man of action, and that means no messing with putting on shoes or proceeding in socks when something needs to be done.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:26:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Christ, I remember living on a fiberglass sailboat years ago.

if it wasn't a soft shoe, than it didn't hit my deck!

I suppose that when I refinish my hardwood floors, I'll resume policy.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:29:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Easier to replace/repair a floor or carpet than a friendship.  I can replace my material stuff.  My family and friends are forever.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top