User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:09:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Based on all evidence, they unfortunately died following the errant orders of the acting crew leader who attempted to unsafely move them to prtoect structure he had a vested interest in.  There is no logical explanation for them being in the place they were when they were burned over.  Just another reminder to think for yourself in all situations, and always question authority.  Numerous violations of the standard firefighting orders...
View Quote

[removed - Paul], go shit in another thread.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:16:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Can someone post a link to the case study of the incident.

Eta: never mind.  Found a video explanation of the incident.

http://wildfiretoday.com/2013/09/28/yarnell-hill-fire-report-released
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:20:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Can someone post a link to the case study of the incident.
View Quote

Sorry I'm linking a Google search, but the first link is a 6 month official report in pdf

I'll try to find more In a bit.

Eta: I messed that up. Google "granite mountain hotshots incident report"

The first result is what you are looking for.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:31:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Yes.

I'm not rebutting anything in this thread, it's not for that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice rebuttal.  Based on your avatar I'm sure you've seen the case studies during your annual refresher at a minimum.

Yes.

I'm not rebutting anything in this thread, it's not for that.

I agree.  I was wondering what conclusions were reached, but today ain't the day and tomorrow doesn't look good either.  

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:32:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Don't be a fucking dick, go shit in another thread.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Based on all evidence, they unfortunately died following the errant orders of the acting crew leader who attempted to unsafely move them to prtoect structure he had a vested interest in.  There is no logical explanation for them being in the place they were when they were burned over.  Just another reminder to think for yourself in all situations, and always question authority.  Numerous violations of the standard firefighting orders...

Don't be a fucking dick, go shit in another thread.

Every year, every wildland firefighter is put through an annual refresher.  In that refresher, every death from the previous year is meticulously reviewed to determine if it could have been avoided.  Burnovers get the most scrutiny, as most of them could have been avoided had the 10 and 18 standard fire orders been followed.  This event, unfortunately, was no different.  It was a tragedy, certainly.  But to remember it without attempting to learn from it is an affront to the lives they sacrificed, and goes against everything we as firefighters are taught.  Putting the mistakes made of previously fallen brothers in the forefront of your mind when on the job may some day save your life.  To remove those mistakes from this discussion cheapens the event, and I'm sure all 19 of those that gave their lives would want their mistakes to be used as teachable moments instead of just a sad shake of the head.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:33:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:35:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Hold on a second...

snip

RIP Brothers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

GTFO of this thread and start your own if you want to be a dick.

RIP to the 19 who lost their lives.

Hold on a second...

snip

RIP Brothers.

Yes, RIP to those who lost their lives.

Save the politics for a different thread.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:38:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Hold on a second...

If mistakes were made they need to be discussed. We as firefighters keep killing ourselves over the same age old mistakes and because we are either too cocky or too stupid (usually a combo of both) and we never take time to learn from those mistakes. Fire behavior hasn't changed since the beginning of time, but here we are still killing firefighters. If I was one of those 19, I wouldn't want my death to be a useless one, I would hope that someone, anyone, would learn from my mistakes. Those guys are looking down on us right now ready to slap us upside the head for not talking about it. I say air it out, out of respect for those fallen 19 men.

RIP Brothers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hold on a second...

If mistakes were made they need to be discussed. We as firefighters keep killing ourselves over the same age old mistakes and because we are either too cocky or too stupid (usually a combo of both) and we never take time to learn from those mistakes. Fire behavior hasn't changed since the beginning of time, but here we are still killing firefighters. If I was one of those 19, I wouldn't want my death to be a useless one, I would hope that someone, anyone, would learn from my mistakes. Those guys are looking down on us right now ready to slap us upside the head for not talking about it. I say air it out, out of respect for those fallen 19 men.

RIP Brothers.

I completely agree with learning from this, I guarantee pretty much every supe in R3 has the incident report memorized. I think what we are saying is, coming in a memorial thread and placing the blame on 1 guy, is not constructive for the family, friends and brethren of Granite Mountain. Especially when that blame being spouted is pointing to criminal negligence.

I have a lot more to say on that, and his post in particular, but this ain't the thread.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:41:54 PM EDT
[#9]
[removed and timeout issued. This ain't the General Discussion. You all better learn that really quickly. Paul]
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:42:32 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Hold on a second...

RIP Brothers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hold on a second...

RIP Brothers.
The new information will make it out, at least some will.  That dude has no business shitting in this thread.  Start a new thread about lessons learned.

Stay in the black OP!
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:44:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Hits home with me, I'm a Fireman and I was in the pool at my Mom and Dad's house in Wickenburg AZ when the fire Blew up.

My wife, son and I drove in that morning for the 4th. My son wanted to go in the pool. So we hopped in, I was interested in watching it for obvious reasons. Can't keep a fireman from checking out a fire. I kept thinking to myself that it could get bad if the wind picked up. It was a pretty large header, but going straight up till around 1400 or so. Once it started laying over I thought, shit this might get bad and it did. Shortly after it blew up. They said on the news that comms were lost with a crew. I thought to myself maybe they just had bad comms and were cut off. Obviously it wasn't just a comms issue.

I Cant imagine what they went through, I have limited brush and no forest experience. But I can tell you that I respect their skills, endurance and bravery. Its and entirely different animal compared to what I do. God bless, RIP
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:44:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Wow I can't believe it's been two years since that happened. It feels like yesterday I was reading that story.
RIP brothers
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:47:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The new information will make it out, at least some will.  That dude has no business shitting in this thread.  Start a new thread about lessons learned.  

Stay in the black OP!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hold on a second...

RIP Brothers.

Stay in the black OP!

I love how so many folks are willing to jump on my back without addressing one point I've made.  It is all of you who are doing the disservice to their memory by attempting to shut down a logical discussion that could save WFF lives in the future.  If there is new information, please let it be known.  I have heard nothing since my refresher in the spring but I could get the call to head out west at any minute.  If this thread was only meant for sad emoticons, that information should have been posted in the OP.

ETA: The best legacy for the Granite Mountain Hotshots would be that this would be the last loss of firefighter life on a wildfire, ever.  Without learning from the past, we are doomed to repeat it.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:50:34 PM EDT
[#14]
[removed and timeout issued - Paul]
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:55:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Hard to believe it's been 2 years. I have several friends in both structure and wildland. It'd be tough losing just one of them.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:56:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Deleted in deference to the fallen.  RIP boys!
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:57:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Their resting place...
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:01:30 PM EDT
[#18]

Did you take that? The beauty and stillness there is pretty amazing, I never thought to take a picture.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:06:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Did you take that? The beauty and stillness there is pretty amazing, I never thought to take a picture.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yes. That's my BIL being buried right above them.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:06:50 PM EDT
[#20]
they died doing their duty, we can honor them by staying respectful and professional towards each other.  

I got my red card for the first time the day after this happened.  still don't know quite what to think about that other than that it was an honor to be a part of the same team and it still is.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:11:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn, sorry for your loss. A beautiful spot to be put today  rest though.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 12:20:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 12:45:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 5:31:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Why should we or even address any point you.ve made. Why should Op have to tell anyone not to opine.

I'm sure several official investigations have what you need so why are you here? Just to be a something.

Trying to be relevant. Then quit trying to do it in a memorial thread.Please start your own.

Now please get out.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 6:02:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Of course there are lessons to be learned and those of us who go in to harms way have discussed them at length. This is neither the time, place, or audience for that. Right now can we just focus on remembering the hereos we've lost? Have some discretion ffs.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 8:09:53 AM EDT
[#26]

What a fitting memorial.  My dad was a Captain in the Fire Department.   Firemen are a very tight knit family.  My condolences to the families of the fire fighters lost that day.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top