Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 8:39:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Question...If light travels at 300,000,000m/s then why does it take the electric company a month to bill you
????  Just wondering
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 8:47:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Its about 187,000 miles per second

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 8:58:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Light can definitely exert force.  My old science teacher had this glass ball about 12" in diameter with something that resembled a pinwheel inside.  He could shine a light on the pinwheel and it would spin.

It was a vacuum, and I'm sure very light weight and efficient, but light could definitely make it spin.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1d/Crookes_radiometer.jpg/210px-Crookes_radiometer.jpg

Radiometer

I do not think the radiometer works by photon pressure.  I think there is a rarified amount of gas remaining inside the globe.  The black sides of the flags are warmer than light sides from radiant heating.  Gas molecules are warmer on the dark sides and bang on that side a little harder than the light side.  That causes a prevailing torque to spin the rotor.  There is another phenomenon at work on the vanes called the Reynolds effect.  This is again caused by differential heating and cooling of the gas molecules, setting up a circular flow around the edges of the flags, and adding to the torque.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 9:06:32 AM EDT
[#4]
this thread fails....

by the same logic....i downloaded about 5000 words of instructions for disassembly/assembly of a norinco sporter ak to print out for my son's birthday surprise...after printout, the stack of paper weighed 10 ounces...therefore, 5000 words equals 10 ounces...

lol...quantum carriers were invented by mathematicians,not physicists
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 9:29:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Its about 187,000 miles per second

186,282.397 mi/sec
or
299,792,458 meters/sec
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 9:33:53 AM EDT
[#6]
and we're off and running
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 9:43:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I was watching a program about Einstein and they said
We have 4.5 Lbs of Sunlight hit the earth Every Second.

Interesting

Whoa...heavy, dude!  
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 9:43:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I bet that the average person has heard of E=MC squared, but has no idea what that means.

It means that the faster you travel the smaller you get and the more you weigh.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 9:45:26 AM EDT
[#9]
This forum has the smartest, yet most idiotic, people in the univerze.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 9:47:56 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Convert energy to mass using E=M*C^2

LOL WUT?

Borrowed from NASA (http://helios.gsfc.nasa.gov/qa_sun.html )

The energy per time put out by the Sun is its luminosity, 3.8 x 1026 Joules per second (or Watts). Using Einstein's renowned formula that describes how much mass is transformed into energy, when energy is being produced, E = M * c2    (or:  Energy = Mass * (Speed of Light)2), as 1 Joule = 1 kg m2/s2 and c = 300,000,000 m/s, the mass the Sun burns into energy every second is:

Mass/Time  = 3.8 x 1026/(3 x 108)2 kg/s = 4.4 x 109 kg/s or roughly 4 million tons per second.

At its distance of 1 Astronomical Unit (150 million km), the Earth is hit by the Sun's energy flux F = 1400 Joules/s/m2. We call this quantity the "solar constant", as this value averaged over each year is constant within better than 1% over time. With an Earth radius of approx 6400 km, the area, which is (pi * Earth's radius)2, with which the Earth intercepts sunlight is (pi * Earth's radius)2  = 1.3 x 1014 m2 making the amount of energy captured by the Earth each second:

F * (pi * Earth's radius)2   = 1.8 x 1017 Joules/s

According to the same procedure as above this makes the mass to produce this amount of energy per second:

Mass captured as sunlight per second = 1.8 x 1017 / (3 x 108)2 kg/s = 2 kg/s

This is about 4.5 lbs/s or close to 5 lbs/s.

OK.  The amount of energy that hits the earth is equivalent to 4.5lbs of mass being converted into energy by the sun.  This I can believe.

Saying that "4.5lbs of sunlight hits the earth every second" does not compute.

"We have 4.5lbs worth of sunlight hit the earth every second" makes more sense.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 9:51:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Whatever you brain people say about this, I am taking it as the gospel truth and using it to explain why I have gained weight as I got older.  It ain't the cheesburgers, dang it, it's from getting too much sun!
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 10:44:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 10:47:51 AM EDT
[#13]
This is going to be better than the economics thread from the other day.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 10:51:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Light can definitely exert force.  My old science teacher had this glass ball about 12" in diameter with something that resembled a pinwheel inside.  He could shine a light on the pinwheel and it would spin.

It was a vacuum, and I'm sure very light weight and efficient, but light could definitely make it spin.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1d/Crookes_radiometer.jpg/210px-Crookes_radiometer.jpg

Radiometer
There's a little bit of FAIL going on here.

A Crookes radiometer only works in a PARTIAL vacuum. One built with a HARD vacuum in it won't spin.

It is not photonic pseudomass that causes the radiometer to spin, it is convective currents generated by
heating and cooling within the thin but present atmosphere in an operational Crookes radiometer.

CJ

That's what I thought - the black side absorbs thermal energy while the white side reflects it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 10:54:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Convert energy to mass using E=M*C^2

LOL WUT?

Borrowed from NASA (http://helios.gsfc.nasa.gov/qa_sun.html )

The energy per time put out by the Sun is its luminosity, 3.8 x 1026 Joules per second (or Watts). Using Einstein's renowned formula that describes how much mass is transformed into energy, when energy is being produced, E = M * c2    (or:  Energy = Mass * (Speed of Light)2), as 1 Joule = 1 kg m2/s2 and c = 300,000,000 m/s, the mass the Sun burns into energy every second is:

Mass/Time  = 3.8 x 1026/(3 x 108)2 kg/s = 4.4 x 109 kg/s or roughly 4 million tons per second.

At its distance of 1 Astronomical Unit (150 million km), the Earth is hit by the Sun's energy flux F = 1400 Joules/s/m2. We call this quantity the "solar constant", as this value averaged over each year is constant within better than 1% over time. With an Earth radius of approx 6400 km, the area, which is (pi * Earth's radius)2, with which the Earth intercepts sunlight is (pi * Earth's radius)2  = 1.3 x 1014 m2 making the amount of energy captured by the Earth each second:

F * (pi * Earth's radius)2   = 1.8 x 1017 Joules/s

According to the same procedure as above this makes the mass to produce this amount of energy per second:

Mass captured as sunlight per second = 1.8 x 1017 / (3 x 108)2 kg/s = 2 kg/s

This is about 4.5 lbs/s or close to 5 lbs/s.

OK.  The amount of energy that hits the earth is equivalent to 4.5lbs of mass being converted into energy by the sun.  This I can believe.

Saying that "4.5lbs of sunlight hits the earth every second" does not compute.

"We have 4.5lbs worth of sunlight hit the earth every second" makes more sense.

Yeah, if the former is true, then the earth would be gaining 4.5 lbs of mass per second as well.  Over the 6 billion years of earth, that's quite a bit of weight in sunshine.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 10:56:41 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Id rather use kilgrams and newtons.

No joke.  The more complex the units, the more SI units shine.  I think my head exploded when I first read about CGS units.  CGS unit of force: dyn.  CGS unit of energy: erg.

I got an urge to die.

This.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 10:58:29 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Question...If light travels at 300,000,000m/s then why does it take the electric company a month to bill you

????  Just wondering

Light in a vacuum =/= electrons traveling in a conductor

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 11:24:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Photons have momentum, but not mass, right?

So 4.5lbs of force are applied by the sunlight, not 4.5lbs of sunlight.

+1
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 11:54:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I bet that the average person has heard of E=MC squared, but has no idea what that means.

It means that the faster you travel the smaller you get and the more you weigh.

And it takes more energy to push you

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 12:23:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Photons aren't the only particles given off in a fusion reaction.

I imagine that there are a fair amount of gases that are expelled as well.

Depends on the fusion reaction...
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top