Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 7:31:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Good post fear....it is now just before 8AM where I live. I have heard news reports that the sheriffs office was NOT informed there was a training scenario going on. In this type of training, would it not be logical to inform all authorities, as well as commercial radio stations and newspapers a scenerio is going on?? The local cops should have vehicle ID as well as license plate #s of all vehicles involved in the scenerio. This is ELEMENTRY procedure! ANY cop who makes a stop will run plates. A soldier is dead, another is wounded, and God only knows the impact on the cop, but I gotta tell ya, he's (and the casualties family) the one I REALLY feel for!
Here's another scenerio for ya. I'm driving down the road. I'm a stranger passing through. I'm packing iron as always. I am a citizen who takes his responsibilities in our republic seriously. I see a cop car with lights flashing and what appears to be two skinheads fighting with a sheriffs' deputy at the side of the road. I know I am competent enough to get involved........You finish the story with any outcome you want! Bottom line??

[b]IMHO, the military should NOT be training in civilian areas....But, they have their own reasons for that, don't they......."[/b]
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 7:31:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Would the rifle carried by the Special Forces trainee have been equipped with a blank firing attachment?
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 7:40:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Would the rifle carried by the Special Forces trainee have been equipped with a blank firing attachment?
View Quote

If I'm a cop on a stop,(with or without 9/11), and someone pulls a weapon, I ain't gonna be lookin' for a "blank firing attachment"!!
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 7:53:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Many folks DO believe MOUT training is about occupying US cities and controlling US civilians, and probably about rounding up guns.  Training in US cities would be a good way to desensitizes our soldiers to those very actions, wouldn't it?
View Quote

Well, ya gotta hand it to the military for its patience then.  After all, they've been running this particular "desensitization" drill for forty years.  I was in the military ten years ago and we were running MOUT training then.
When they gonna spring this master plan?  After all, it's gone through like six presidents, uncountable congresses, the lives of various beurocrats, the commands of dozens of generals...
Can we please try to get real for just a minute?
The military runs MOUT training because they often have to fight in cities. PERIOD.
There is no grand conspiracy behind this, despite what ol' 86 may think.
I suppose HIS response to this will be to research my post count or something...
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 7:55:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 8:00:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Regarding a blank firing attachment:

Try this for a little experiment, Renamed.

Go find a NBA basketball player, And then have him stand next to you while jerking your body up and down by your side arm, Have him punch you in the face a few times just to make the experiment more realistic.

Now while he's doing that, scroll thu these forums looking at all the stuff people put on M4's. and try to keep your eye on what two other guys are doing at the same time.

See if you can tell which ones have flashlight mounts, rail systems, GI mags or Orlites, Lazers, Scopes, Optics,....Oh, Oh yeah and Blank firing attachments.

But remember you have to do all of these things at once and you have to do it all in three seconds.

I suspect all you will see is black rifles and your life flashing before your eyes.

If your real lucky, you'll have just enough time to wonder how your wife will spend your life insurance.
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 8:00:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pineland is a dangerous place.
$5 says the SF dudes thought the deputy was part of the exercise – and they guessed wrong.

Not the first people that the ‘Q’ killed.
View Quote

Those were our students, and they were shot 10 miles from my house.

Very estute, no takers on the bet.  That appears to be exactly what happened.  Deputy Butler was NOT part of the exercise.

As I understand it, the two NCOs were riding with a civilian asset and were pulled over in a "routine traffic stop".  They treated the deputy as part of the exercise, and he wasn't.  At some point, the deputy alleges that he was afraid that they were going to disarm him, so he shot both of them, killing one and putting the other in the ICU.  The surviving soldier's story is different, and will probably be that the deputy overreacted and employed deadly force without cause.  Either way, bad show.  NC SBI is investigating, along with the Moore County Sherrif's Dept., the Army and the Federal Gov't.

The exercise, involving over a thousand people, has been conducted in the same area for 40 years, and the deputy, who has been with the department for seven years, claims he never heard of it.

As noted, this unconventional warfare training  is the culminating exercise for the SFQC, and involves conducting a guerrilla warfare scenario with axctive participation within the community.  Numerous locals, including law enforcement officers play roles in the training, which is of necessity, realistic.

liberty86:

IMHO, the military should NOT be training in civilian areas....But, they have their own reasons for that, don't they.......
View Quote

You are barking up the wrong tree.  Believe it or not, there is not a conspiracy behind every military or governmental act.  This exercise has been run here for 40 years, and the locals are a very big part of it.  As a matter of fact, since the SF students train and organize a guerrilla force, the locals are, by now, experts in all aspects of guerrilla warfare, including operating the auxillary and the underground.  It would not be possible to conduct this training without the cooperation of the civilians in the area.  You would probably enjoy participating in the training yourself, and would likely learn quite a few things which you would consider of value.
View Quote

In addition The Moore County Sheriff's Department  Was not part of this exercise, other counties Law Enforcment Agenices were.
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 8:41:06 AM EDT
[#8]
More questions:

1) Why did this go beyond the point of the driver getting a ticket and the deputy driving away?  I don't see why either side would have started a fight in that scenario.

2) When pulling over a "suspicious vehicle", is it standard operating procedure to have the vehicle's occupants exit?

3) Were the soldiers inside or outside of the truck when they were shot?
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 9:22:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Why did it get beyond a simple ticket?

While several posts to this thread have put forth the idea that the deputy might have thought these guys were terrorists, related to 9-11. I belive the answer lies in one of our more common problems. DRUGS!

When I see Skinny, crew cut white guys acting hinky as my cruiser pulls up behind them with the uppers on, I do not think first of terrorists, so much as mobile meth labs.

You know the Arian nations wears there hair pretty short now days.

The fact that they look military, means little. Try finding the statistics on how many soldiers at Bragg and Benning have been arrested or disiplined for drug related offenses in the last couple of years.

Yes I understand that they have manditory testing now days, but I also understand that Meth and Coke do not stay in your system nearly as long as pot, making both of these drugs the choice of serving soldiers who think they can get away with it if they are not tested to often.

Now I will grant you, that the drug problem is somewhat less in the special forces, but how is a deputy supposed to know a special forces soldier, from some spec that fixes radios, in civilain clothes.

The fact is, that something was wrong with that picture. Something that set the officer survival bells to going in that deputies head.

I wonder if the deputies car had a camera system, many do now days.

I know that many officers carry a mini recorder either on their belt or stuck in their front pocket, to record traffic stops, just to aviod he said she saids in court.

I'm sure any recordings would be used as training aids in both police academies and at Bragg.                                                                                     Never get killed on tape. Instuctors will be picking apart everything you and the other guy did wrong for the next decade, in cold hard detail and besides, it's easier on you wife if she does'nt have to watch you getting smoked in reruns of Greatest Police Shootouts, every other week on Fox.

Link Posted: 2/25/2002 9:35:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
More questions:

1) Why did this go beyond the point of the driver getting a ticket and the deputy driving away?  I don't see why either side would have started a fight in that scenario.
View Quote

Not sure what you are asking or if you know more about this than is posted about this..

2) When pulling over a "suspicious vehicle", is it standard operating procedure to have the vehicle's occupants exit?
View Quote

When initiating a "susp veh" stop the officer should have reasonable articulable suspicion that a crime is being committed and those people stopped are involved.

Officers have some discretion in what they request from people they think might be involved in a crime. "standard procedure" varies by agency, asking people to get out of a vehicle wouldn't be unusual.

3) Were the soldiers inside or outside of the truck when they were shot?
View Quote

I got no clue from what I've read they were attempting to disarm the Deputy because the thought he was a "role player" in the scenario........ He wasn't.

I think it's early yet to get the a lot of the questions answered.

This sounds like a screw up on a higher level than the soldiers or deputy involved. I think it's tragic, it sounds like the soldiers were trying to do their best and so was the Deputy.

Someone dropped the ball on notifying people about the exercise. Just my guess.
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 9:45:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 10:24:12 AM EDT
[#12]
No, actualy, trying a gun grab on an Law enforcement Officer, With A Glock or a Sig in his holster, would take an IQ of About 70.

What the heck did they think, It was full of Wax loads or paint balls for cry'in out loud.

These guy's were supposed to be weapons experts, So you would think they would know how unbelivably dangerous, their actions were.

Whats going on here, Are they running double the normal number of trainees to get ready for war in the Middle East and lowering the admission standards for special forces, Because these two would be operators showed bad judgment in spades.

There are alot of guys on here that idolize the Special Forces to the point of defending any thing done as solid gold.

I feel sorry for the two guys that got shot, But the fact remains that they chose a deadly and over confident course of action in deciding to play the gun grab game. They rolled the Dice and found out that they were not quite the highly trained military supermen that they thought they were.

You seem to forget, that the hick deputy, whom you talk about having an IQ of 70, Survived a hand to hand combat attack by two, supposedly highly trained, Elite Special Forces Commandos. who are supposed to be some of the most deadly hand to hand fighters on earth.

Yet as we can see, It's the dumd hick deputy who is going home tonight to his wife and kids.

While one of these high IQ Special Forces guys lies in a hospital in critical condition, because he got ten ringed while trying to push the reciever pins into his M-4, And the rocket scintist that tryed to pry the officers gun out of his hand, Well he does'nt have an IQ at all anymore, because he's dead.

I know I'll be flamed for speaking in such plain terms here, but I think it's time we had a little dose of Tactical Reality, Her in a sight that talks so freely about the art of firearm combat.

There is no second place winner in a gun grab.
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 10:43:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Well, Fear and Loathing, the deputy was going home alive either way...the SF guys weren't going to kill him because they KNEW it was a training exercise.  He SHOULD have known, but someone screwed up, whether it was the deputy, his higher ups in the SO or the Army training command.
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 10:49:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 11:10:00 AM EDT
[#15]
When Someone is trying to wrestle me to the ground and pull my fully loaded Glock out of my holster, I REALLY can't imagine, the thought, that they are not Really trying to KILL me would ever cross my mind.

If the Special forces guys knew it was a game so well, then they should have taken the safe course of action when in doubt. This was not actual combat! There was no reason to endanger their lives or the life of the officer.

Instead they chose a dangerous course of action unwarranted by the scope of the training senario and even the most basic safety concerns.

The only reason why I would think they would try something so totaly fool hardy...

Is that they just plain thought they could jack this deputy and get away with it and have some good, There I Was, stories to tell there buddies later on in their Special Forces careers, about how they got thue Robbin Sage, By taking that poor Barney Fife deputy down, I have little trouble, seeing them laughing about this story over a few beers within the fraternity of the Special Forces.

The only trouble was, That you have to be alive, when it's all over to tell those beer and war stories.

Link Posted: 2/25/2002 11:15:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
but I cannot believe that any LEO who lived and worked in that area for even a year had never heard of Robin Sage.
View Quote

So what if he [i]had[/i] heard of it.

To assume these guys were on a training op and let them subdue you and take your weapons would be a very dangerous assumption.
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 11:28:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 11:29:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Does anyone know if they use the same vehicles on every one of these training excercises or if they differ?  If this was a truck in some way marked, then wouldn't it make sense that Deputy Dick would know that this could be a training mission?

Seems highly suspicious that he never knew of these operations.  If he's that out of touch with his community, he should not wear the uniform.
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 11:32:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 11:45:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Do any of you remember the old Johnny carson Show, the part where Jonny would put on his turban and hold envolopes up to his forehead and say "I can see what's inside this envolope.

Well i'm trying to picture how A police officer or a sherrif's deputy is supposed to hold somebodies drivers licence up to there forehead and say," I can see that these people are Special Forces on a training mission.

Now I know that you guys out there, that idolize the Special Forces think that there are no other people on earth but operators.

And that all us dumd hick police officers, have nothing to do all day, but to follow your heroic exploits, So you will pardon us, if we were busy chasing law breakers and crooks, and somehow got you confused with the seven million or so other residents of the state. after all you were wearing civilian cloths.
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 11:55:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 11:58:41 AM EDT
[#22]
If the Special forces guys knew it was a game so well, then they should have taken the safe course of action when in doubt. This was not actual combat! There was no reason to endanger their lives or the life of the officer.

Instead they chose a dangerous course of action unwarranted by the scope of the training senario and even the most basic safety concerns.

The only reason why I would think they would try something so totaly fool hardy...

Is that they just plain thought they could jack this deputy and get away with it and have some good, There I Was, stories to tell there buddies later on in their Special Forces careers, about how they got thue Robbin Sage, By taking that poor Barney Fife deputy down, I have little trouble, seeing them laughing about this story over a few beers within the fraternity of the Special Forces.
View Quote

That assumes that the deputy's story is completely accurate.  But there are two other survivors of this incident and they might have a different story to tell.

Suppose the deputy was the one who thought he'd be laughing over a few beers with his buddies:

Deputy X, while on yet another routine patrol of rural North Carolina, spots a pickup truck violating the speed limit.  He pulls it over and as he approaches realizes that the occupants are likely to be participants in the well-known Robin Sage exercise.

As a low-paid civilian in an unglamorous job, Deputy X resents the prestige given to Special Forces troops whom he only sees playing "make believe" while he's doing a "real job".  He's always felt that the "army boys" don't give the respect he deserves.  But this could be his chance to turn the tables...

Deputy X knows that are if these fellows are in Robin Sage, they almost certainly have weapons in the truck -- and that will be all the excuse he needs to give these high and mighty "special" forces troops the full prone-in-the-dirt, handcuff and interrogation routine that will ruin their day.  But he's outnumbered and alone, so he'll have to establish his authority quickly before things get out of hand.  He walks up to the truck with his holster unsnapped and his hand on his pistol...

The truck's driver is hoping to resolve this matter quickly and be on his way.  He isn't expecting any serious trouble since the community has been helping with Robin Sage since before he was born.  But much to his surprise, the deputy who appears at his window appears highly agitated -- and he's pointing a pistol at him.

As the deputy sticks the muzzle into the trainee's face to let him know that this isn't part of the exercise, the soldier reflexively raises an arm to push the weapon to a safe direction.  But all the deputy sees is that one of these alleged masters of close quarter combat is pulling some sort of martial arts move on him.  He's going to be disarmed!  His finger clenches down on the trigger and the shooting starts -- BANG! BANG! BANG!  

While waiting for backup and an ambulance to arrive, Deputy X will find the disassembled M4 in the truck and decide that having the other soldier try to put to put it together will make his mistake seem more understandable.

Edited to add that this is pure speculation, presented only to balance the speculation that the soldiers were being reckless.  Any similarity to any real deputies with chips on their shoulders is purely coincidental. [;)]
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 12:10:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

THEY THOUGHT HE WAS PART OF THE "GAME"!!!

View Quote

Hey thats the whole story in a nut shell.  

The 2 soldiers probably thought they were in a county that was participating in the exercise or  they didn't realize that they were in a county that the local law enforcement was not playing in this game.
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 12:43:40 PM EDT
[#24]
All of which draws a perfect picture or why the military shouldn't be training in civilian areas.

Someone will ALWAYS get left out of the loop. As was already said, what if it's Joe Civilian driving along when he comes across to skinheads fighting it out with a Deputy on the roadside? How many of you are going to just drive right on by and hope things turn out okay?

With all of the base closings that have occured, I find it hard to believe that the military is unable to find one that would provide an adequate training environment. The military has even built mock towns before as well. I know, I trained at one at Ft Lewis. Reagansburg.

There is no legitimate need for this type of training to be going on in our towns and cities.
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 12:57:24 PM EDT
[#25]
It's interesting to read these posts about super heroes, stupid cops and inflated egos when nobody here knows what happened.

On the other hand-

As part of a government conspiracy to grab our guns a bird shit on my car this morning.
What other reason could there be?
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 1:12:34 PM EDT
[#26]
It's interesting to read these posts about super heroes, stupid cops and inflated egos when nobody here knows what happened.
View Quote

Guess we will have to wait for the Wrongful Death legal action that will follow as surely as night follows day...

Deputy DoRight will have plenty of opportunity to tell his "side" of the events.  Just before they take title to his house.
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 1:38:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 1:47:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 2:03:48 PM EDT
[#29]
I would be interested to hear the other side of the story, from the two survivors.  I have yet to hear anything more than "the officer was in fear for his life" business.  That is what I seem to hear immediately after every police shooting regardless of the facts.

I can imagine an entirely different scenario that has nothing at all to do with Robin Sage.  

Deputy Roscoe sees a couple of yokels that look like they are from out of town.  It is a rural area, so he decides to pull them over and shake them down for some coin.  The soldiers, knowing that they have done nothing wrong start to argue with Deputy Roscoe.  Deputy Roscoe realizes he is in over his head and reaches for his gun.  The soldiers, in fear of their lives struggle for the gun.  Bang, Bang, Bang!!!

Now I am not saying that the cop was crooked or anything like that went on.  I am just saying that we do not have all the facts, and my nutball scenario is as good as any (lacking better information).  This same thing could have happened to any of us law abiding citizens.
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 2:19:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 2:49:08 PM EDT
[#31]
[i]Civilians and local authorities are often asked to assist in the training exercises, Kolb said. The Moore County sheriff's office was told a training exercise was under way, but the Army did not coordinate specifically with the sheriff's office and Butler probably was unaware of it, he said.[/i]

If the Army did not coordinate with the Sheriff's office, the SF candidates had no reason to think the deputy was "part of the exercise." They made a really bad call, and paid for it in a most unfortunate manner. You just don't try to disarm a LEO for shits and giggles.

And yes, this [b]is[/b] prime evidence of why the military should avoid training in uncontrolled (public) environments. What kind of situation would develop if say, these two soldiers were creeping around with automatic weapons in the backyard of most ar15.com board members? I hate to think about it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 2:50:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 2:53:10 PM EDT
[#33]
More interesting than all this finger pointing is…
How did the cop live in/patrol that area for seven years without knowing what was going on?
(The guy would have to live in a cave, with no radio, TV or friends.)
If he patrolled a known area(common) why didn’t somebody inform this guy before going out that day.

If you want to finger point at the SF guys, think about one thing.
The "conditions of the operation" pretty much required them to resist capture.
(Even ineffective resistance would be better than none.)        
These guys got shot for doing what they were trained to do.
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 4:09:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Lets see if I got this straight.

This was of course an unfortunate incident / abuse of police authority.

The Soldiers were innocent victims who were accosted by some sort of latter day Barny Fife that andy unwittingly set loose upon the public with real bullets.

The Deputy should have instinctivly known that the armed men wearing civilian cloths travelling in a seemingly suspicious manner were in fact soldiers on an excercize.

The Cops are always wrong and travel the roadways in search of victims to Rob, especially in rural areas.  

Soldiers are always right and never make mistakes that get them killed.  

That savage bloodthisty deputy just couldn't wait to get even with those army guys.

Some on this board believe that the cops lay in wait on back roads with the express purpose of causing them harm.

Noone on this board was there and knows what really happened so those so inclined will just do what any good reporter that wasn't there does and make up the story or a hypothetical scenario, apply it to this tragedy, and presume that they know what " really happened " and proclaim it to the world.

There, That about covers the topic in fine detail.
View Quote

Sounds about right to me shotar. I maintain my original point,[b]the military should NOT be training in civilian areas![/b] I notice NONE of the cop bashers adressed my scenerio about the armed civilian, (passin' through), stumbling on a cop being attacked by two skins.....
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 4:58:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Butler pulled the truck over and noticed a duffel bag with a disassembled rifle inside.
View Quote

How did the deputy know what was [b]inside[/b] the duffel bag?

And let's assume that the soldiers thought that the deputy was "in on" the exercise.  Would they expect him to be carrying an unloaded pistol just in case he ran into them instead of some real bad guys?  They'd have to know that trying to disarm him would be extremely dangerous.  

And once the fight started, why would one of the soldiers try to grab an unloaded (presumably), disassembled rifle that was inside a bag?  There's no way that he could bring it into action fast enough to do any good.
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 6:04:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Gents:

I would like to start this by saying thank you to those who have voiced their thanks to those of us serving, those who have themselves served in this nation's forces, and those concerned for the dead soldier and the seriously wounded NCO and their families.  The SSG should survive and be released in a week or two.  Long term prognosis uncertain.

To those who think that we are here to get your guns, arrest you for drug law violations, or to spend our time plotting to take over the country, to be blunt, get a grip and a life.

To those who think we shouldn't be training in civilian areas, consider the fact that in 40 years of training, and over 200 Robin Sages (about 30 days each), this is the first time this has happened.  If this is sufficient for your logic to give it up, I guess that we should all turn in our firearms, "For the children."  I hope that when your sons and daughters join the military, they don't get sent off to combat short of the vital training which they needed, but could not get because of training restrictions for the good of the community, like Vieques.  One last time, IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO GET THIS SORT OF TRAINING ON BASE!

Those who had the snide and callous comments about grandstanding by these two fine young American soldiers can step to the front when the next call comes for volunteers to fight and win this nation's wars, or volunteer three times and come try out for SF.  Or sit beside me at the memorial this week at the chapel.  Or take my job, if some of the thoughts expressed here are how you really feel.  Given the criticism of the armed forces I’ve heard here, I’ve just about had it with serving, anyway.  By the way, to the person who wanted the OIC punished, you get your wish.  The LT was the one killed.

Anyone who has spoken with a participant in this incident, feel free to correct me.  I have read the local and national accounts, the Moore County Sheriff's department public statements, and others who have knowledge of this incident.  I will skip certain details because I feel that they are not required, or are too sensitive.  These are the FACTS, as I understand them, unless stated otherwise.  I wish that I could speak with the deputy, or the other witness, but that is not practical right now.  I may make some mistakes here, and for that I apologize, but here goes my .02.

Your conjecture is all based upon the Sheriff's Department statement of the events that occurred.  They have reasons for their wording or omission of facts.  Neither the military, nor the surviving victim has yet publicly stated what happened.  I expect that the truth will come out in the long run, when the SBI and CID complete their investigations.  BTW, there could be lawsuits here, since the soldiers are prohibited from suing the USG, but NOT the local Sheriff’s Dept. or the officer.  Note that the surviving soldier has not been charged with anything.  I do not believe that he could be charged with any crime, since he committed none.
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 6:07:20 PM EDT
[#37]
(Cont.)

The Sheriff's Department was advised before the exercise started, advised in advance and the same day when targets were going to be hit, and as I understand it, provided with a copy of the training schedule.  They were also advised soldiers would be armed.  It is possible, but unlikely, that they failed to brief the deputy involved.  They were NOT told that two (of forty or so) soldiers would be traveling from Point A to Point B to recon a target for an attack later in the exercise.  That appears to be the basis for their claim they were not told.  If the deputy has been on the force for seven years, 28 or more of these month long exercises have been conducted in his AO, along with continuous training at Camp Mackall.

Other Sheriff’s departments in the region were participating in fake traffic stops.  Moore County was not this time.  These situations were very controlled, with full briefings to the officers, leadership, and dispatchers beginning months in advance.  Controllers are present to keep things under control.  Both LE and mil personnel were issued Gov’t weapons with blanks and adapters.  Usually, the road was blocked to avoid further civilian traffic.  Instructions are issued and reissued well in advance and on the day of the

1400 or so, on a bright sunny Saturday.  One pickup truck with one civilian asset driving, one soldier (LT) in the front passenger seat, with a rucksack and an M-4 carbine, broken down into upper and lower (no mag inserted), inside the secured rucksack, and one soldier in the rear (SSG).  No live ammo, no killer knife, no speed rig with handgun, no Ninja Killers in black suits.  LT is wearing an Army issue brown T-shirt with his name and rank stenciled on it, and issue jungle boots.  

Soldiers are not yet SF, despite some statements here earlier.  Scenario is that they are US soldiers sent into hostile area to clandestinely train and organize enemy resistance force against new hostile government.  Sound like Afghanistan?  Been the same scenario for 40 years.

Deputy sees truck twice in a half-hour or so and decides in the wake of recent burglaries in the area, that these guys look “suspicious” and are acting “furtive”.  He follows them for a brief while and then conducts a vehicular stop.  He calls in the usual info and requests backup, is told none available.  Decides to proceed alone.  

Most of the following version is from SO reports or media, who got their info from the SO.  

Stops vehicle, driver acts suspicious and refuses to answer questions.  Driver put in back of patrol car and segregated while soldiers are questioned.  NCO remains in back of pickup truck while LT in passenger seat talks to deputy.  Deputy allegedly asks what is inside bag, LT evasive (role-playing).  Asks LT to bring ruck to rear of truck to inspect it.  Neither soldier cuffed.  Ruck opened, M-4 halves spotted.  Story diverges.
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 6:09:20 PM EDT
[#38]
(Cont.)

SO version is that LT reached for bag, sheriff grabs bag and throws it out of reach, simultaneously backs up, pulls 9 mm pistol and with other hand (how many has he got?), Maces LT.  LT allegedly orders SSG to “shoot” the deputy.   (With what, his finger?)  SSG allegedly jumps down and reaches for an M-4 half and the deputy double taps him.  Maced LT moves toward deputy, so he gets double tapped, too, fatally.  SSG has through and through in upper arm, second wound entry in upper right quadrant of chest, transiting body to rest in lower pelvic area. Asset survives in back of patrol car.

Officer calls 10-33, need assistance, two down.

Bad mistakes here regardless, which must be corrected.  No reason to quit training.
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 6:23:37 PM EDT
[#39]
You know, my first reaction was to say "Maybe the Army SHOULD have performed this exercise with live ammo." But after reading this:

[b]"The soldiers then apparently tried to disarm Butler. One soldier tried to assault the deputy, Carter said. Butler sprayed him with pepper spray. The second soldier came out of the back of the truck and tried to grab the weapon in the bag, and Butler shot and wounded him, Carter said. The first soldier came at him again and was shot to death."[/b]

This Deputy did what any Deputy would and should do. Some of you have said "How can the Deputy live in that area for seven years and not know what was going on?" It goes both ways. How can two SF's participate in an exercise and not know who all is involved? If the SF's thought the Deputy was part of the game then maybe THEY were ignorant. This is a tragedy and a terrible mistake. And ultimately, it is the Army's fault. You DO NOT try to disarm a law enforcement officer. There is only one thing for a LEO to do if you try, and that is exactly what he did.

Link Posted: 2/25/2002 7:06:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
You know, my first reaction was to say "Maybe the Army SHOULD have performed this exercise with live ammo." But after reading this:

[b]"The soldiers then apparently tried to disarm Butler. One soldier tried to assault the deputy, Carter said. Butler sprayed him with pepper spray. The second soldier came out of the back of the truck and tried to grab the weapon in the bag, and Butler shot and wounded him, Carter said. The first soldier came at him again and was shot to death."[/b]

This Deputy did what any Deputy would and should do. Some of you have said "How can the Deputy live in that area for seven years and not know what was going on?" It goes both ways. How can two SF's participate in an exercise and not know who all is involved? If the SF's thought the Deputy was part of the game then maybe THEY were ignorant. This is a tragedy and a terrible mistake. And ultimately, it is the Army's fault. You DO NOT try to disarm a law enforcement officer. There is only one thing for a LEO to do if you try, and that is exactly what he did.

View Quote

Yep, no need to gather any more facts, the police report is in.  The department says that the soldiers tried to disarm the deputy.  Must be true.  Case closed.  

What do you expect them to say, that the officer might have overreacted and killed one and seriously injured another in a tragic, but excessive use of force?

Not cuffed, two short haired military types, at least one wearing uniform items with his name and rank on them, no functional weapon justifies use of lethal force?

Again, these were not yet SF personnel, they were students in the course.  These kids had never been through this training before, and were told to expect anything.

Try this scenario on.  You are the LT, the deputy maces you, then opens fire on your partner.  Would you try to stop him or just stand there and wait for yours?  The LT tried to stop the deputy AFTER he shot the SSG.  He was killed for his efforts.
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 7:34:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Thanks SF for the good info.  The wild speculation was fun, but it is better to have  facts.  It is still not clear why the situation escalated as it did.  In these situations it is usually better to play it cool.  If they were attempting to escape and evade, then they were not successful.  

Hopefully, those in charge can take steps to make sure that nothing like this happens in the future.  Maybe the participants can wear a sticker on their foreheads or something like that.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 7:41:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
To those who think that we are here to get your guns, arrest you for drug law violations, or to spend our time plotting to take over the country, to be blunt, get a grip and a life.
View Quote

You may be asking too much of them here, SF...at least for a couple gents who shall remain nameless.
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 8:39:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Try this scenario on.  You are the LT, the deputy maces you, then opens fire on your partner.  Would you try to stop him or just stand there and wait for yours?  The LT tried to stop the deputy AFTER he shot the SSG.  He was killed for his efforts.
View Quote

If the Deputy maced me and then shot my buddy, I would know he is NOT involved in this training exercise. Therefore, my arms would be up in the air or I would hit the deck. Like it or not, the guy with the gun now has control. I'm not going to try and "attack" him. And if the Deputy acts correctly, he is not going to just shoot me for no reason if I am trying to comply.
As Beagle said in the other post, "The LEO did what he was trained to do and the SF trainees did what they were trained to do. They both tried to take command of the situation and the one with the firearm won." When it comes down to it, it is really as simple as that. And that is why I say again: This is the Army's fault. They need to A) Not practice their exercises in a civilian environment or B) If they do practice in a civilian environment, use another soldier to portray a Deputy. That way, when happening upon a REAL Deputy, they know that he is not playing and they could explain who they are and what they are doing before making any sudden moves.

Link Posted: 2/25/2002 9:43:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Other Sheriff’s departments in the region were participating in fake traffic stops.  Moore County was not this time.  These situations were very controlled, with full briefings to the officers, leadership, and dispatchers beginning months in advance.  Controllers are present to keep things under control.  Both LE and mil personnel were issued Gov’t weapons with blanks and adapters.  Usually, the road was blocked to avoid further civilian traffic.  Instructions are issued and reissued well in advance and on the day of the
View Quote
If this is the amount of coordination that must be handled, wouldn't it be smarter to hire a couple of off-duty cops and conduct the training on the base?

Had either of the trainees been through one of these traffic stops before or knew how they are conducted?
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 11:27:19 PM EDT
[#45]
ShootinShane,

That's it you are a ***** *****, ********, and a ******, if you would put your hands up instead of trying to keep this crazy killer deputy from killing the rest of your group. if the deputy stated that the Lt ordered the SSG to fire on him then the deputy is piece of lying sh*t and is not fit to kiss a dogs sh**ty ass. There is no way that the Lt would give that type of order even if they had any loaded weapons to fire at the deputy with. I have no way of knowing who is responsible for this tragedy, but if this is what the deputy stated then he is worse then garbage. He found out that he Fuc*ed up and he is just trying to save his sorry ass at the expense of some real men. The Army Special Forces are some of the very best men our country has defending it and most law enforcement types would never be able to qualify for any of our Special Operations Units.

I pray for the Soldier who died and I pray that the Soldier who is wounded makes a full recovery and finally gets to proudly wear his Green Beret.

Edited by RAF per board rule #7
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 12:07:42 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 1:56:51 AM EDT
[#47]
Civilians and local authorities are often asked to assist in the training exercises, Kolb said. The Moore County sheriff's office was told a training exercise was under way, but the Army did not coordinate specifically with the sheriff's office and Butler probably was unaware of it, he said.

"In this instance, they were not informed about this, because the scenario itself was not intended to draw attention of the local authorities," Kolb said.

The soldiers were participating in a reconnaissance mission in which they were to locate a target to be used in a mission, said Maj. Gary Kolb, spokesman for the Special Operations Command, which includes the Special Forces.
View Quote

So, the deputy may have been aware of Robin Sage...but, He did not know it was happening on his turf that night(as the above backs up). SOCOMM left out a few details. So in a nutshell, Military fuck-up.

And, a question for some of you CCW'ers out there, what would you do if some guys tried to disarm you? You can't defend yourself because they might be training....

Edited to add source.. [url]http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,46441,00.html[/url]
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 2:51:08 AM EDT
[#48]
The bottom line is this.... Someone screwed up.  Either the Sheriff's Department or the Army.  Until the full story comes out we can game and speculate what happened.  

The officer claims to be unaware of the training events in his area.  Well, again that shows a lack of situational awareness.  After all he is patrolling around one of the largest Army and most famous Army base in the world.  If he had any doubts a simple call on the radio and actually asking a question would of helped this officer out a great deal.

The two Soldiers also should of known better as well.  The deputy obviously didn't recognize the soldiers so they should of made themselves known.

As the old addage goes, "A closed mouth does not get fed."

LEO and military service members should speak up if they are engaged in training.

All you LEO who think that the military should not train for real are wrong.  The vast majority of military operations will be MOUT.  Military Operations in Urban Terrain.  There is no substitute for real people in a real town.  It makes training that much more real.  

I am sure someone can say they shoulda and woulda, but they didn't and couldn't.  Now one soldier is dead and another is wounded.

Let's all learn from this tragic mistake and move on.

Max
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 5:07:25 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

You may be asking too much of them here, SF...at least for a couple gents who shall remain nameless.
View Quote

RikWriter,

You're being very, very kind.
[X]
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 6:33:00 AM EDT
[#50]
You know, In fifteenth Century Japan, Samuri, used to train by chopping the heads off civilians, for no other purpose, than to see if their sword was sharp.

The idea that I'm starting to hear from some of the SF idolizers in here, seems to be, that in the intrest of needlessly ultra realistic training, our own Samuri class, should be able to use unknowing civilains as unarmed combat test subjects.

So lets take a look, at some of the flaws in this so called, realistic training. Shall we.

These unknowing civilians, that the SF would use as test subjects, bear little resemblance to the civilian population of counties were SF would be employed.

You would have a heck of a hard time, explaining to me how a traffic stop in Northern Iraq, would would simulate a traffic stop in North Carolina. In Iraq five guys with AK-47s get out of a jeep or truck, not worried in the slightest about your civil rights and will happily blow you away, if they do not like how you look at them.

In North Carolina, One guy with a pistol on his hip ( he probably has a riot gun locked in a bracket by the front seat, or an AR in the trunk.) gets out of a Crown Vic, encumbered by more laws and restraints than most SF types would like to think about.

Now, it has been claimed by the SF Idolizers that the two trainees thought that the deputy was a knowing Participant in the war game, If that was the case, Why did they leave the M-4 in the Bag disasembeled?, It would seem to me, that if I was practicing for the reality of an Iraqi Car stop, That, the first thing to cross my mind would be, that my cover is going to be blown, and really the only solution to this problem, tacticaly speaking would be to kill the officer before he gained a position of tactical advantage, where he could control the people in my vehicle.

Thus in realistic training, I personaly (since some in this thread have asked) would have killed the officer, before he even got out from behind the stearing wheel of his unit.

The first rule of of killing people, who you think might have some training. Is kill them quick, preferably before they even have time to evaluate the situation and know they are in a fight.

The fact that the M-4 remained in the bag and was not assembled before the pick up stopped, not only shows how this training was in no way realistic, IT IS, THE BEST EVIDENCE, THAT THE TRAINEES SUSPECTED THE OFFICER WAS NOT PART OF THE WAR GAME.

Further more, if we are in the business of realism, Why did the Trainees, not have handguns? which would have served them much better in the close confines of the interior of a pick up cab? I mean they could have used the red plastic training guns for this purpose quite easily, since the the object of the training is was tactics, not range time.

It looks to me like your ultra realistic training, isnt very realistic at all.

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top