BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 3:51:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Warming stations set up in Dallas
Warming stations are now available in the City of Dallas for people who need relief from the bitter cold temperatures. 43 recreation centers and 29 libraries are open during normal business hours for people to seek temporary relief from the cold, according to the City of Dallas.
View Quote

Vitruvian Lights in Addison cut short by freezing temperatures
A nasty arctic blast cut the annual Vitruvian Lights in Addison short. The Georgia Bridgewater band rocked the park for about an hour, before the party was canceled when the temperature dropped below 30 degrees. People arrived bundled in coats and blankets to dance, grab a bite to eat from the food trucks, take in all the beautiful lights and see Santa. Event organizer, Jessica Zazzara, knew going into the night that it might have to be canceled due to the weather. She took it minute by minute, and finally decided it was just too cold and too windy, and was concerned about the chance of precipitation.
View Quote

Let the northern chortling begin. Perhaps even a hearty guffaw? 

It's 20 degrees out. The locals are preparing for the apocalypse. It looks like the set of The Day After around here. 

My power just came back on. It's been out since 3:30am. 

My living room couch has an electric motor and wouldn't recline. These are the struggles I must lead my family through. It's been a tough slog, but we're pulling through. I was digging through my backpacking gear to pull out the Sno Peak fuel canisters and stove so that I could nourish my wife with a cup of emergency coffee, and sustain her through the hard times. 

It's also like 60 degrees and climbing in the house, instead of the normal 72. I've told the children they can remove their North Face expedition gear, and extinguish the camp fire in the living room. We're going to make it now. The dog seems relieved, as my son has stopped salivating while looking at him. 
View Quote

Lol.. with windchill it is -35 here right now Silly Tejas.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 3:53:37 PM EDT
[#2]
81 degrees in Tampa Bay.  We never escape the heat here.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 3:54:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

U of Iowa is playing there in the Outback Bowl. We are not going though...
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 3:54:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
Does your house even have a furnace or a heat pump? 
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 3:59:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yep 2 years ago.
View Quote

Yep
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 3:59:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
And it was. 
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It was supposed to be funny. 
And it was. 

I thought so.          
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 4:00:31 PM EDT
[#7]
It was 70° when I was there yesterday. Polar fucking vortex.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 4:01:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
I was nice of you to stop by but you didn't need to leave your weather behind.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 4:02:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It seriously dropped from 70F to under 30 in like 4-5 hours. That was pretty impressive. I can't remember the last time I felt a temperature swing that dramatic. 
View Quote

I can.  At a company function I introduced my incredibly hot gf to the Chief of Operations guy.  Problem is I used my previous gf's name  She was a new gf and I was used to saying my ex's name.  

The rest of the night did not go very well although I did manage to pull off a boomerang and get her into bed.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 4:03:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm one of those people. I moved here in August and I wanted to die, it was so fucking hot. It's normal for people to keep their A/C set at like 78F around here. Jesus H Christ, that's like sauna temperatures. Who lives like this? 

It didn't help that people kept reminding me that this was actually a really mild summer. 
View Quote

LOL  are ac is set to 80F all summer..houston
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 4:05:27 PM EDT
[#11]
When the front finally rolled through Houston, it felt like a Hurricane for about 10 seconds. Very abrupt.

Link Posted: 12/18/2016 4:07:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Warming stations are now available in the City of Dallas for people who need relief from the bitter cold temperatures. 43 recreation centers and 29 libraries are open during normal business hours for people to seek temporary relief from the cold, according to the City of Dallas.
View Quote

A nasty arctic blast cut the annual Vitruvian Lights in Addison short. The Georgia Bridgewater band rocked the park for about an hour, before the party was canceled when the temperature dropped below 30 degrees. People arrived bundled in coats and blankets to dance, grab a bite to eat from the food trucks, take in all the beautiful lights and see Santa. Event organizer, Jessica Zazzara, knew going into the night that it might have to be canceled due to the weather. She took it minute by minute, and finally decided it was just too cold and too windy, and was concerned about the chance of precipitation.
View Quote

It's 20 degrees out. The locals are preparing for the apocalypse. It looks like the set of The Day After around here. 

My living room couch has an electric motor and wouldn't recline. These are the struggles I must lead my family through. It's been a tough slog, but we're pulling through. I was digging through my backpacking gear to pull out the Sno Peak fuel canisters and stove so that I could nourish my wife with a cup of emergency coffee, and sustain her through the hard times. 

It's also like 60 degrees and climbing in the house, instead of the normal 72. I've told the children they can remove their North Face expedition gear, and extinguish the camp fire in the living room. We're going to make it now. The dog seems relieved, as my son has stopped salivating while looking at him. 
View Quote
It was 16 degrees with a 30 mph wind at 3am this morning when the next city over called for assistance this morning.  May not be Ohio cold, but I was pretty chilly!!!

Currently home from work burning a fire in the fireplace. 
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 4:08:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My living room couch has an electric motor and wouldn't recline.  
View Quote

what's wrong with your generator?

Link Posted: 12/18/2016 4:09:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

While I agree we are not quite as cold hardened as you guys are, please feel free to come visit about July 31-August20?
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 4:12:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I sent my wife to the store last night to buy pickles for the hamburgers I was making, and she said it was a mad house. It took her almost an hour. Neither of us had any idea why. Now I think I might have an idea. 
View Quote

Being the last weekend before Christmas no doubt had more to do with the crowds than did the weather.

Link Posted: 12/18/2016 4:12:56 PM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

We got that last night.  I was just out removing it from the driveway.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 4:15:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
Canada left the window open. 
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 4:18:49 PM EDT
[#18]
48 here

I have the windows open and the heat off. Getting some fresh air in here.

Eta
Oops it's 38 now windows closed
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 4:19:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

what's wrong with your generator?
View Quote
I sold it to BustinCaps. 107" of average annual snowfall in my sleepy little town, and I never once used it (it got lots of use in previous homes). I figured he'd get more use out of it than me, and it saved room/weight on the moving truck. 

I apologize to my neighbors for doing this, because I'm pretty sure that caused the power outage this morning. I will buy another one, which should ensure the power never goes out again. 

I also got rid of my snow shovels and my brother (who just got here a couple weeks ago) sold his Aries snow blower, so watch out Dallas. There's a blizzard coming. 
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 4:20:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Being the last weekend before Christmas no doubt had more to do with the crowds than did the weather.

View Quote
Some of you guys are wound a little too right. 
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 4:22:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Enjoy it while you can.
Attachment Attached File

Summer is coming.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 4:22:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Shoveled snow for the third day in a row here in MT.  F'ing 40 mph winds and -30+ and worse winchills.  Damn snowblower decided to give up the ghost as well.
Texas sounds pretty good right now.  Every notice that no sane person retires to the north?
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 4:23:06 PM EDT
[#23]
You think this is bad? Wait until it sleets.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 4:23:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Enjoy it while you can.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/235225/heat-110103.JPG
Summer is coming.
View Quote
Hopefully this year I'll have enough time to ease into it and acclimate a little better. By this time next year, I'll be bitching about the oppressive cold. 
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 4:25:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Just wait until they forecast an ice storm.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 4:25:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

People freak out here.  Hundreds of cars will be in the ditch from one day of sleet.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 4:26:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
considering it was a typical winter 75 degree's yesterday. I washed both cars in shorts and a t shirt... went inside to take a shower, came back out and it was 20 degrees.
View Quote

2 super nice days at the ranch and then it got chilly
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 4:29:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hells yeah.  Or when the Metroplex gets 18 flakes of snow and shuts down!
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 4:31:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
While I agree we are not quite as cold hardened as you guys are, please feel free to come visit about July 31-August20?
View Quote

Well, how hot is it there in late july-Aug? It is usually middle 90's with 60% humidity or so here at that time.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 4:36:08 PM EDT
[#30]
It was 34F yesterday afternoon so I tossed on a t shirt and a light jacket, hooked the hose up to the drain in the water heater and proceeded to wash the car. Lukewarm 105F water [as it's from the bottom of the tank] beats 45F water from the hose.]
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 4:39:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Seriously? I wore shorts the last time I shoveled snow before this one.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 4:45:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Well, how hot is it there in late july-Aug? It is usually middle 90's with 60% humidity or so here at that time.
View Quote
It doesn't drop below 100 for something like a month. Well, it might be 90-ish at 3am. 
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 4:47:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You should ask Subnet about the screen shots I sent him of local temps right before he moved down.  

Is 116 to warm?   What you see on the news is in the middle is a large grass field in a shaded box.  DFW in town temperatures can get wicked and are rarely truthfully reported on the news.  

Hang a thermometer in any parking lot around and watch the craziness.  

I have burst three 120 degree thermometers on my back drive.  It faces west.  But shaded by 3 pm in the summer. 

*I live in the city.  And our humidity is variable.  When I took the 116 screen shots I think the THI was about 120.  I might be mistaken I deleted them. 
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 4:48:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Those stupid urbanites will go out in this shit wearing stretchy pants and flip flops
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 4:49:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 4:52:31 PM EDT
[#36]
It has warmed up here today to -2 F.

It will be a pleasant day so that Crabby can catch up on her shovelling.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 5:11:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Hopefully this year I'll have enough time to ease into it and acclimate a little better. By this time next year, I'll be bitching about the oppressive cold. 
View Quote
That's a for real thing. Used to be -20 just required me to put on a wool balaclava with my long handle shirt and down vest. 

After living in Texas all these years, at 31* I'm a shit-cicle. 
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 5:13:46 PM EDT
[#38]
We didn't listen!

Link Posted: 12/18/2016 5:15:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Feeding cattle yesterday in a t- shirt and sneakers, 77 degrees. Get up this morning and it's 17 degrees. What idiot decided heat pumps were a good idea at 17 degrees?
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 5:15:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
We had 70 days of 100+ about five years ago.  That was...interesting.
View Quote
I experienced that living in my RV in San Antonio on a job. It seemed like it would never get below a hundred ever again. 
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 5:18:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

100+ with similar humidity in DFW, Houston is usually pretty close temp with more humidity
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 5:20:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Feeding cattle yesterday in a t- shirt and sneakers, 77 degrees. Get up this morning and it's 17 degrees. What idiot decided heat pumps were a good idea at 17 degrees?
View Quote

Until the temps got close to 30 my heat pump was running full blast and not getting the house up to 65
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 5:28:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
It was -10 when I went to the gas station in shorts and a sweatshirt this morning.
View Quote

Yea, I will go running in the evening in 20F weather with out a second thought.

Link Posted: 12/18/2016 5:30:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They don't even insulate plumbing down here.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 5:33:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I experienced that living in my RV in San Antonio on a job. It seemed like it would never get below a hundred ever again. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We had 70 days of 100+ about five years ago.  That was...interesting.

Coming from a cool/cold/dry climate the summer humidity down there was nasty. The nights that never dropped below the mid-70s were gross.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 5:33:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
It doesn't drop below 100 for something like a month. Well, it might be 90-ish at 3am. 
View Quote

So maybe 5 degrees or so warmer there
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 5:38:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Reminds me of Christmas on South Beach Miami years ago. There was ice on the side walk, Cubans were wrapped up in down parkas looking like the Michelin Man. Where the hell do you find a down parka in Miami?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Reminds me of Christmas on South Beach Miami years ago. There was ice on the side walk, Cubans were wrapped up in down parkas looking like the Michelin Man. Where the hell do you find a down parka in Miami?

Couple of years ago I was working in El Paso, it was getting down in the low 30's at night.

The locals are preparing for the apocalypse. It looks like the set of The Day After around here.
^ is the perfect description of the locals, our crew just came out of Wyoming so we were walking around in t-shirts.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 5:40:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No insulation in walls for keeping out heat either? Or does the humidity make it pointless and you run AC 24/7?
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 5:41:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

It seriously dropped from 70F to under 30 in like 4-5 hours. That was pretty impressive. I can't remember the last time I felt a temperature swing that dramatic. 
View Quote

I grew up in Dallas.  I happened to look at the weather before school, and the forecast high was going to be 80, that was by 10AM, and they were predicting freezing temps and snow 9which wouldnt have stuck).  I wore jeans, a t-shirt and a flannel shirt, but I also brought a jacket.  I went to in-school suspension (called a teacher a "douche rag"), and they laughed at me.  The teacher closed the blinds of the room so you cant see out, but I could see outside a bit.  By 1PM it was cold and snowing pretty good.  It was great watching all the idjits that talked shit wearing basketball jerseys and shorts suffer in the bus lines.

So yeah, Texas can get weird weather.  81 down to 26 was the biggest drop in temps, but the one over the weekend was pretty close.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 5:41:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

So maybe 5 degrees or so warmer there
View Quote
And no rain most years.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top