Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 3:54:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Count me in at any cost. I've been dying to kill some pigs but don't know anybody who owns land.

Need contact info (website would be cool) and directions.  Sounds like fun.
View Quote

Check the post in the hunting forum.  It has the information you need.

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=102714&page=1[/url]

Email me for more info, phone numbers, etc.

Glad you are interested.

TheRedGoat
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 5:48:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Hey, I am a school teacher, remember?  You ain't going to go hunting with this guide and not learn anything.
View Quote

What do you teach at school?

Also-- what is the maximum number of people for one trip, and will you group the parties together?
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 7:03:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not to come off as a know-it-all but I stay far away from guided hunts. That is just no-fun.

I like to be in nature alone, I hunt alone.
View Quote

Me too.  I have hunted hogs alone many times.  However, I have found it is more fun to be with others.  Once a kill is made, two guys working together can make dragging, field dressing and loading a hog much more manageable.

For safety reasons, I do NOT recommend an inexperienced hunter venture into a hog hunt alone.  Although the chances of a crazy boar rushing you does exist, the possibility of a serious fall, snake bite, or even disorientation in the woods could make a minor situation into an emergency.

Once I show beginners the ropes on a guided hunt, they will be able to go back without my assitance on future hunts.  After two or three times in the thick of things on a creek bottom, you will know what to do, how to stalk, what trail signs mean, etc.

Hey, I am a school teacher, remember?  You ain't going to go hunting with this guide and not learn anything.

I have had a couple of requests for stand/blind hunting on feeders.  I will let you guys know if I can work this out.  One place I am looking into has existing deer stands and feeders, so I will keep that option open.

I appreciate all the input, looks like this thing is going to work out A-ok!

TheRedGoat
View Quote

[:D]
Don't get me wrong, I hunt with buddies, there is usually four of us who repeatedly go. We all have radios and one of the guys who is more experienced and I will use the radios to push hogs against a natural boarder. We are hunting together, even thought we are several 100yds apart.

And Yes, Im the first one on the radio, crying for help when I down a big hog.

I just prefer not to have a friend right next to me the whole time yackin my ear off. I ask where everybody is going and I go the opposite way. It also depends on the company.

Please drop me a IM or email with any additional info once you get set up. I would be interested in a one-day hunt where I can check out your territory and get a feel for the operation. This time it would be a crew of only two Hunters, one a inexperienced female friend. So, all my “I hunt alone” rantings would not apply in this case.
Ill phone you with the dates that we can join.
Hopefully,  we could set up a multiple day/night hunt in the future.

Personally, I have no problem with your fees. I was once once bitter about having to pay every time I wanted to hunt in TX. However, I have gotton used to it.  In the past, I just walked out my back yard, or drove a mile.

Some Q's for U.
I have 4x4, do you allow vechicles on the lease?  Im not sure how open the land is.
Would you bring in a 4-wheeler to extract any hogs from a thicker wooded area?

What is your max limit of hunters per area, per day? I'm not interested in hunting when there is another group several 100 yds away shooting in every which direction especially if the land is relatively open. Im sure you understand where I am coming from.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 12:09:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some Q's for U.
do you allow vechicles on the lease?  

Would you bring in a 4-wheeler to extract any hogs from a thicker wooded area?

What is your max limit of hunters per area, per day?

Im sure you understand where I am coming from.

Thanks
View Quote

Energizer, I teach Computer Science.

Boomholzer,

At the moment, the only vehicles that will be allowed are mine or the other guides.  If we get permission from the landowners, thenI will consider allowing you to bring your personal 4x4 or ATV.  Since this opens up a real can of worms for people to abuse the land.  All it would take is one irresponisble person to ruin a landowner's attitdue toward all of this.

As for extraction.  If I am guiding the hunt, then I will gladly assist you in dragging out your kill.  The places that are going to be used have many farm roads on them, and weather permitting, we should be able to get the hogs out to the vehicles without the need of a 4 wheeler.  For the most part, places that are clear enough for the 4 wheelers (on the places I am lining up) are also clear enough for a full sized vehicle.

As for the maximum number of hunters.  Right now the limit is 4.  I have two other guides that are interested in taking groups out, and they have each decided they would restrict the hunters that they take (one wants no more than 2 with him on the dog and "extreme" hunts) the other would likely take 4.

If you have more than 4 in your group, I will need to line up another guide.  Most likely, larger groups will want to come on Sunday when all 3 guides are available.  We will break your party into different groups and seperate them on the leases.

We have 900 acres that are in the bag.  An adjacent 1000 that is probably going to go along and a lead on a private 400 acres nearby.  2300 acres total.

It will be at least another week before all the details are completed.  

Because the specialty hunts (nighttime, dogs, knife only) take a little more planning then it will be at least another week or two before I can set them up for you.

We have some stands on the lease already.  I will be checking them out, adding corn, clearing firing lanes this next week.  

The long range (Barret .50) shooting site is not 100% yet (that is on the adjacent 1000 acre place) but I am pretty sure the landowner is going to like our offer.  I will try top accomodate the long range guys.  I know you would all love to put that Barret onto a live target!

Check the hunting forum for more details.
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 12:23:02 PM EDT
[#5]
DonR, you think we ought to tell them fellers about Jack County, over around Squaw Mountain, and along the Brazos up through Young , Throckmorton, and Baylor Counties? Over there, you can pretty much talk to the landowner for permission (maybe $25.00 as a courtesy) and pick which of the 70-80 hogs you'll see each night. These are big boys over here, and they don't allways have a real good disposition.  ed
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 12:46:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
DonR, you think we ought to tell them fellers about Jack County, over around Squaw Mountain, and along the Brazos up through Young , Throckmorton, and Baylor Counties? Over there, you can pretty much talk to the landowner for permission (maybe $25.00 as a courtesy) and pick which of the 70-80 hogs you'll see each night. These are big boys over here, and they don't allways have a real good disposition.  ed
View Quote

Sounds fun, every landowner I have talked to has said "Sure no problem, Brian, I already told you kill all you want!"

When I tell them these will be perfect strangers hunting, they head the other way.  Lots of landowners have been burned bad by the 'just ask for permission' crowd.  Fences cut, roads rutted, trash left, cows shot, beer cans tossed into the brush, etc.

As a matter of fact.  What was once a "Just ask permission" piece of acreage (850 to be exact) has now had its gate locked, and exactly ONE hunter (me!) is allowed on the premises.  

From 20+ hunters last year, to one remaining with permission.  Times are changing.  4 wheel drives, 4 wheelers, impolite/inconsiderate hunters have burned alot of folks around here.

Gates that have never been locked, are now secured.

When asking the landowners and leasholders about hunting, as soon as I said "Folks from Dallas" every one of them put their hands behind their backs and said "liability, I don't want my cows shot, hogs are dangerous...if someone gets hurt..."

Once I settle them down and tell them we will have damage responsibilty forms, liability waivers and rules that are followed things fell back in to place.

Your Brazos River landowners may have a better attitude.  The ones around here are very tight with their property.

Many of the old landholders that lease their property for cattle to others no longer even allow subleasing (by the rancher) for hunting.  Again, their concern is about the hunters, not the ranchers.  Liability is on everyone's mind these days.

TheRedGoat
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 12:48:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I think your setup sounds pretty reasonable.  I would be interested in a Saturday day and night hunt with me and two of my friends.  Would we have to buy a temp. out of state hunting license and if so, how much is it?  Let me know; [email protected].
Doc
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 1:38:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Im listening!
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 1:39:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I think your setup sounds pretty reasonable.  I would be interested in a Saturday day and night hunt with me and two of my friends.  Would we have to buy a temp. out of state hunting license and if so, how much is it?  Let me know; [email protected].
Doc
View Quote

Yes, you would need to purchase an out of state license.  

[b]Non-Resident 5-Day Special Hunting[/b] (Type 157) : [i]$35[/i] Legal for any period of 5 days in a row (valid hunting dates printed on the license when issued).  Valid to hunt: Exotic animals, all
legal game birds (except turkeys), squirrel and javelina (not valid for other game animals),[b] and all non game animals[/b] (except alligators).

Feral hogs are Non-Game animals.

Email me at [email protected] for more details.  
For 3 guys, a guided day hunt would be 150.00 each person per hunt(group discount)

If you want to hunt again that night (man, you are going to be a tired son of a gun) it would be another 'guided hunt' after nightfall.  I will cut you a deal since you doing two 'hunts' back to back.

To hunt at night means big, powerful, spotlights.  It is a horse race to determine which is drawn to the light faster, a moth or a Texas Game Warden.  If you are going to hunt at night, MAKE sure you are legal.

TheRedGoat

Catch me via email and we will work out the details.
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 8:32:15 AM EDT
[#10]
I would like to put my .02 in one more time, then I'll leave you guys alone. Yes, pigs are considered varmints up here in N.W. Texas too, they tear up a lot of property, cary diseases during the warm months, and even run off a lot of other game animals. They are however, Gods creatures, and as such, deserve a little respect. Whether it's a hog, a coyote, jackrabbit or a skunk, you shoot to kill, and trail wounded game to the best of your ability to make sure it doesn't suffer needlessly. Thats just the way it is, and thats what seperates hunters from killers. Off my soapbox now. E.D.
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 9:56:29 AM EDT
[#11]
I am a hunter of game and a killer of pests and varmints.  F*ck the pantheistic religious crapola.
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 10:43:53 AM EDT
[#12]
I am an inexprienced hog -hunter but when I get to houston, i will definately be interested. Drop me a line please and hopefully we can set something up.
oh Since they aren't game animals can bring some NFA items? It is private land after all [:)]
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 11:23:57 AM EDT
[#13]
flashman:
My take is that the Rgoat is trying to start a small business centered around something he knows how to do.
That’s a good thing! Gives me a chance to engage in an activity I would otherwise not be able to do.
Mike  
View Quote

I agree!
RedGoat, I hope it turns out great for you & everyone who shows up!

~~~~~~~

[i]Now I'm going OT, & I hope nobody takes this wrong, but I've got to ask,,,,,[/i]
Who posted the "Selling his 1954 Chevy Pickup" topic -- then deleted it?!?
I know it might've been an insult, but those friggin pictures were funny as hell, & I just want to copy & print one.
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 11:32:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Now I'm going OT, & I hope nobody takes this wrong, but I've got to ask,,,,,[/i]
Who posted the "Selling his 1954 Chevy Pickup" topic -- then deleted it?!?
I know it might've been an insult, but those friggin pictures were funny as hell, & I just want to copy & print one.
View Quote

It was ol' Arock havin' fun.  Of course there was no insult meant...RedGoat's a friend...that's why I put 'em up.  If folks want I'll restore those fine monuments to East Texas Culture.  I'm there too, remember?  BTW anybody got a church-key??
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 11:47:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Arock:
It was ol' Arock havin' fun.  Of course there was no insult meant...RedGoat's a friend...that's why I put 'em up.  If folks want I'll restore those fine monuments to East Texas Culture.
View Quote

Yes, please -- they really ARE FUNNY![:)]
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 1:06:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Arock:
It was ol' Arock havin' fun.  Of course there was no insult meant...RedGoat's a friend...that's why I put 'em up.  If folks want I'll restore those fine monuments to East Texas Culture.
View Quote

Yes, please -- they really ARE FUNNY![:)]
View Quote

Okay...you gotta remember old RedGoat's got his treasured 1954 Chevrolet truck FOR SALE and here's the pic...

[img]http://photo.msn.s8.com/MS8zLzAvMS8xMDg3LzE1NS8zMi8tdGc0eHNNeWhzR0k4cVJua1E0QW5n/624911a49ea358d653122fd1e83e2e39/clbk=*EtEZjHm6cpJ8rbrNqFhHB!geskycuOX9D76PMwPi0!96b!Q3*VU0ON1DAQfFu1BvpSxSmgRVcY$/jpg.jpg[/img]

...and here's one of Red's friends relaxing in the pool at RedGoat Manor...

[img]http://photo.msn.s8.com/MS8zLzAvMS8xMDg3LzE1NS8zMi9sNW5WMVp5bmVPbmFabEJxcjJDRXRn/faf848a0e2c79562bfb1503a39ee91b2/clbk=*EtEZjHm6cpJ8rbrNqFhHB!geskycuOXDdmYkWR0RBkRJT92Su1gK3rnOTIGx4D5V3nZ*mkanrw$/jpg.jpg[/img]

...and here's RedGoat's new bass fishing rig...

[img]http://photo.msn.s8.com/MS8zLzAvMS8xMDg3LzE1NS8zMi9hSDRvNFNNYnRkTWdpOVBHYXNfTjJn/b39fcfa33a4701677937ad91f91ede0a/clbk=*EtEZjHm6cpJ8rbrNqFhHB!geskycuOXt5LKkd44lMendQjAcrsDFlfgoWT5YLYHjTBdf8eBVkA$/jpg.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 1:13:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 1:16:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I am a hunter of game and a killer of pests and varmints.  F*ck the pantheistic religious crapola.
View Quote

Arock, don't beat around the bush, say what you really mean...
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 1:16:54 PM EDT
[#19]
And just so RedGoat doesn't feel lonely, here's the palatial Villa Arock...also locally famous as Casa Peaches...

[img]http://photo.msn.s8.com/MS8zLzAvMS8xMDg3LzE1NS8zMi9xdEJWaG1Veld3d0hITm0xNW5JTFNR/9a3f4f27e1575a6420d145102bf6eb04/clbk=*EtEZjHm6cpJ8rbrNqFhHB!geskycuOX3HHYrok!ZzulVWuYWchfaiIzYLvPYdNgJYsomFdvlSc$/jpg.jpg[/img]

...and fianlly my-very-own personal watercraft...

[img]http://photo.msn.s8.com/MS8zLzAvMS8xMDg3LzE1NS8zMi9EUXotY0dZdDJkb1lkUDZ2N1gtay1R/0abede911c2978534c96d73afac35c3c/clbk=*EtEZjHm6cpJ8rbrNqFhHB!geskycuOXNjTkf*Q9OXbOqOWwKflOH2lWH!7aKgj9e88jxhlh3tk$/jpg.jpg[/img]

Now leave us alone before I start quoting from my favorite East Texas author, Joe Lansdale.
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 1:19:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I am an inexprienced hog -hunter but when I get to houston, i will definately be interested. Drop me a line please and hopefully we can set something up.
oh Since they aren't game animals can bring some NFA items? It is private land after all [:)]
View Quote

Can you bring them?  ARe you kidding?  If the are really KEWL we can start talking about a discount on the hunt if you bring enough NFA's for the guide to play too!

thee12nv, there will be a thread in the hunting forum whenever you are interested to use to contact me.
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 1:24:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
flashman:
My take is that the Rgoat is trying to start a small business centered around something he knows how to do.
That’s a good thing! Gives me a chance to engage in an activity I would otherwise not be able to do.
Mike  
View Quote

I agree!
RedGoat, I hope it turns out great for you & everyone who shows up!
View Quote

Thanks for he well wishes.  I have received several emails and I am currently working out the details for the first hunt(s).  

The beauty of the deal is the AR15.com gang chipped in ideas, suggestions, assistance to get this hog guide service started on a wing and a prayer.  You guys have all been great!

Arock, that's it buddy.  NO CAMERAS ALLOWED at RedGoat's Spring shoot!  I can't believe you posted a picture of me in my swimmin' pool  !!!
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 1:25:16 PM EDT
[#22]
A disocunt as in there damn sure wouldn't be much left to process or move  after a beta mag
[:)]

Edited to add- damn those pictures are funny.
Guess I should have listened when people warned me about moving to Texas.

Have to leave it with one of my favorite quotes:
"Texas! Only two things come out of Texas boy, sterrs and queers. And you ain't got no horns!"
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 2:04:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top