Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:15:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Page two at a hole in you.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:39:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I had a lead acid battery explosion, about 18 inches from my face. Took a good amount of acid in my eyes, nose, both ears, and also a chunk of plastic battery case got shoved into my eyebALL, slashed the eyelid, and pierced the cornea.
  instantly 100 percent blinded, ears ringing,  I groped around for a while,  disoriented,  sorta panicky,  found the door,  made it into the bathroom, and got The water going, started  trying to flush my face, and  then dug the big  chunk of plastic OUT OF MY EYE...
    That is where I almost lost it, got the wicked stomach ache, low blood pressure, vertigo,thought I was going down on the floor, but I held onto the sink, and  kept flushing the eyes.
   After 5 minutes or so, one of my eyes started working  a little bit, fuzzy, but enough to go find some saline  eye wash solution.... I started saline wash down, and went to get my truck started.
winter, maybe minus 5 degrees, so it  takes a few minutes to get  the  diesel warm enough to drive to hospital...
    by this time, co-worker who heard the explosion, but was busy running a cutting torch for a bit,  finished his  cut, turned off his gas bottles, coiled up the hoses, etc, he finally  comes up front, realizes the immediate nature of my problem, drives me up to emergency room.    I keep a steady stream going from the saline bottle,  still hurts like a bitch..
  after a couple hours, the ER crew finishes hosing out my eyes, and locates a surgeon up the road, about 2 hours drive, so wife drives me up to meet this WIZARD eye doctor, who actually SEWED my eyeball back together.  sewed up the eyelid too, while he was at it.
amazing, sewed my eye up, manually, by hand.

so, my eye is fixed, pretty much, looks funny, like it has dual pupils,but works   mostly alright.
Doc only charged about $9,000  not really that expensive, considering how cool eyes are....
...I am real fond of EYE protection now,  wear safety glasses much of the time.

That sucks man.

I had one explode on me once also, but most of it hit me in the chest.  Only got a little in my face.  It was cold as hell out so I had a lot of clothes on that took most of the hit.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:15:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Once, I got Hydrochloric acid on my fingers.  I just quick dipped them in my pool and then went inside and washed it off.  It stung for a day, but no skin damage or permanant scars.

Ok so I have no real exposure to hardcore acids, but Some other chemical exposure stories I do have.  

Once, I inhaled chlorine gas (or some kind of chlorinated gas, but my best guess is Cl2) that came out of my pool lines.  I guess the chlorinating tablets sitting around for months in the chlorinator in stagnant water somehow release some nice green gas and green liquid.  I had my face down in the pool right next too the water working on something when someone switched on the pool pump.  Bubbles and green came out, and I felt a burning in my lungs and I immediately choked.  I got away as fast as I could.  My chest hurt for a few days, and I had a cough for 2 weeks after that.

I also have gotten paint stripper in my eye. My eyelid now has a scar on the rim or whatever you call it.

I got acetone in my eye as well just recently.  I just held my eye open and it evaporated in a few seconds.  acetone, I have heard, is one of the better solvents for your health.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:56:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Nothing serious, but in high school I got photographic stop on my hands without noticing then the bell rang and I went to my next class. The water evaporated from the diluted mixture and it started itching then burning. Asshole teacher wouldn't let me go to the bathroom to wash it off because I didn't have my school-provided planner with me (what they signed the hall passes in).
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top