Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 4:47:47 PM EDT
[#1]
So many sources and heads are predicting it that I feel it's almost to the point of being a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I've set all my stop-loss orders a few percent tighter and we'll be glad to contribute to the cascade.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 4:48:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Economically "conservative" while socially "liberal" is the definition of libertarian ideology.   Both parties fear libertarians and attack them with fervor.
View Quote
And fundamentally at odds with each other. You can't fund socially liberal agendas by being economically conservative. 
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 4:52:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
US dollar has been rapidly loosing value since April.....most people didn't pay attention.   15% drop in value.

What also people don't realize is that the rise in stock prices is actually due to weakening US economy and thus USD.   Weakening US dollar is good for US corporations with global footprint, makes their profits go up due to currency exchange effect. Fudds on the other hand  think it's because economy is doing so well, hah.
View Quote
Well.. there's quite a few hedge funds that got burned by assuming that US Dollars were inversely related to equities and took up positions to reflect that belief. If you've been in the game long enough, you know that the relationship between USD and equities can cycle between inverse and positively correlated.

Only for my curiosity.. are you Forex trader?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 5:00:05 PM EDT
[#5]
it goes up, and then it goes back down again.  shocking.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 5:01:44 PM EDT
[#6]
It's very technical.  We need someone dressed in a white lab coat to explain it all.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 5:02:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
And fundamentally at odds with each other. You can't fund socially liberal agendas by being economically conservative. 
View Quote
no socially "liberal" as it applies to libertarianism means....you stay out of my life & wallet and I'll do the same to yours.  Libertarians aren't moral police.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 5:04:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yeah well I hope it takes at least a year before it pops.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 5:06:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Sounds like a great chance to get cheap shares.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 5:11:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Well.. there's quite a few hedge funds that got burned by assuming that US Dollars were inversely related to equities and took up positions to reflect that belief. If you've been in the game long enough, you know that the relationship between USD and equities can cycle between inverse and positively correlated.

Only for my curiosity.. are you Forex trader?
View Quote
Well sure when you have the Fed and ECB artificially intervening in the markets, that will result in uncertainty and risk

I am not, brother does it for living.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 5:16:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
US dollar has been rapidly loosing value since April.....most people didn't pay attention.   15% drop in value.

What also people don't realize is that the rise in stock prices is actually due to weakening US economy and thus USD.   Weakening US dollar is good for US corporations with global footprint, makes their profits go up due to currency exchange effect. Fudds on the other hand  think it's because economy is doing so well, hah.
View Quote
Holy shit dude...we actually agree on somthing.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 5:17:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Median new home prices are at an all time high, that ain't helping.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 5:19:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
 Maybe the Fed should sell some MBS
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 5:20:41 PM EDT
[#14]
I believe I sold my home and escaped CA at the right time.

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 5:20:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Maybe it'll happen on a Monday?
View Quote

Thursday. It's always "Black Thursday".

Gotta run. Putting my stuff into cash and buying GOLD!!!

TC
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 5:22:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Meh.

I was in a meeting with some big investors last week. They said that were in the second longest bull market in US history & that there was going to be a correction eventually.

10% ish in the next 2-3 years.

So, yeah, corrections come. It's a part of the market.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 5:23:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's the ticket...I am sure that would not affect rates at all.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 5:25:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
"We're gonna need a bigger bailout"
View Quote
That's really what they are saying. "Wheres muh quantututive eusum....."
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 5:27:58 PM EDT
[#19]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
market is overbought. i dont know what the definition of correction is so i cant say for sure. but i expect the market to fall. i dont expect something like 2007 2008 unless there is some significant bubble like the housing/real estate/mortgage of the last correction or the hugely overpriced NASDAQ before the dotcom meltdown. but its coming.

all bets are off though if something crazy happens, something with trump or something with NK. big boys are poised for the shorts simply waiting for the signal when all prisoners will be released.
New home sales plunge 10%
and from that :The housing market is being hampered by a shortage of properties, which is driving up home prices.

though im in IT i built houses on the side right up to the crash and was blessed as i sold my last house for little or no profit, but no loss while every other developer in the subdivision got hung, some to rent out what they had and some to go bankrupt. as a consequence ive sort of kept up with the local market. several things this time around, banks are less willing to lend, there is a shortage of available lots and the prices of new and existing homes has increased dramatically in my area. so im seeing this same trend.

and thats a datapoint, not something to trigger a drop in the market in and of itself.

btw, someone said a 10 percent drop was a correction. i would welcome a 10 percent drop. i'd rather let a little air out now than a rout later on. and i have a ton of cash sitting on the side.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 5:30:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Isn't that punishment enough for all they went through last time???
View Quote
So long as the bankers and CEOs don't suffer too much when their decisions destroy the wealth and retirements of a couple hundred million Americans.

I understand the ups and downs of the market cycles and all the rest of that, but there's something seriously wrong when the masters on Wall Street can simply destroy a couple billions dollars overnight, shrug their shoulders and say "oops", and cash a 50 million dollar bonus for their efforts.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 5:33:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 5:37:06 PM EDT
[#22]
There will be a huge correction.

I know what I am talking about. I have successfully predicted 37 of the last 2 collapses.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:45:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea, that makes two for me now. I agreed with him on something minor the other day and about shit my pants.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:47:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I know what I am talking about. I have successfully predicted 37 of the last 2 collapses.
View Quote
No collapse, but we are certainly due for a correction. The earnings multiple the market is trading at is unrealistic.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:00:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
There's an ironic disconnect with this post and username.

The very fact that there hasn't been a correction is an indication that one is due.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Doubt it. We haven't had a a major correction in almost 10 years, why would we suddenly have one now? 
There's an ironic disconnect with this post and username.

The very fact that there hasn't been a correction is an indication that one is due.
He knows
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:17:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I believe correction is considered 10% or greater. Dont quote me on that though
View Quote
I'm quoting you....and it's correct
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:18:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Doubt it. We haven't had a a major correction in almost 10 years, why would we suddenly have one now? 
View Quote
Because powers that be want Trump to fail. If they can crash the markets, they will create doubt in him.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:51:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Yea, that makes two for me now. I agreed with him on something minor the other day and about shit my pants.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I knew the solar eclipse was going to "CHANGE EVERYTHING"...
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:16:59 PM EDT
[#29]
View Quote
They can't build them quick enough around here, untold number of houses being built and they all sell in no time....very competitive market which has now priced me out.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 2:23:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
They can't build them quick enough around here, untold number of houses being built and they all sell in no time....very competitive market which has now priced me out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Same here in DFW.  Houses often sell a day or two after they hit the market.  New HOAs are being sold out before the first foundation is poured.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 3:55:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
LOL, I think used to argue with you back in 09 and 10.

on your other account, of course 
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 3:56:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Economically "conservative" while socially "liberal" is the definition of libertarian ideology.   Both parties fear libertarians and attack them with fervor.
This.  It is the biggest bunch of bullshit out there.  And when you call them on it the social portion is always way more important to them than the fiscal portion.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 4:00:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
Sarcasm?
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 4:12:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
Actually, we had three corrections during 2015, all were about 2,500 to 3,000 points off the Dow, and they all disappeared when Fed pumped more free money into the balloon.

So either the corrections have already occurred, or we're really, really overdue for a big one.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 4:14:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
did they call the pull back last year too?
View Quote
The markets will never recover from Donald Trump's victory
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 4:15:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Is it happening this Monday?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top