Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 11
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 12:04:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
why is "Grill" capitalized and in parentheses?

Up here in the North those are called quotation marks rather than parentheses.

Link Posted: 1/26/2011 12:07:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
there will be no ending of welfare....jebus

Worth saying again.

As long as you have enough ammo your rifle is sustainable.

Cut off welfare, there will be riots, military and police won't make a difference, as always as it ever will be, law abiding citizens will defend themselves. It will not end well for those wishing to do evil.

*scoffs*. Regardless of ammo/training, if there are enough enemy numbers your toast. The alamo/Thermopolye/Shugart & Gordon/etc.

Remember all those stories we hear about here with gangbangers coming into gunstores for AK's/glock's?
There would be a significant number of armed crazies out there.

How many people in yall's house are prepared for such events? I don't mean just having a gun, but the will/grit to use it too. Can your wife/elderly mother/seven year old son handle watching the backyard for masses of thugs with molotov's?

Yes, we armed people would fare better. But it would not be the fun ride many envision it to be.

Armed people would fare better until night time when they Goblins torch them out of their house.

Even if you go to live out your Zombiepocalypse fantasy and lived thru it unscathed you'd still have to deal with the mental end of having to kill a bunch of people.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 12:09:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Worth saying again.

Cut off welfare, there will be riots, military and police won't make a difference, as always as it ever will be, law abiding citizens will defend themselves. It will not end well for those wishing to do evil.

*scoffs*. Regardless of ammo/training, if there are enough enemy numbers your toast. The alamo/Thermopolye/Shugart & Gordon/etc.

Remember all those stories we hear about here with gangbangers coming into gunstores for AK's/glock's?

How many people in yall's house are prepared for such events? I don't mean just having a gun, but the will/grit to use it too. Can your wife/elderly mother/seven year old son handle watching the backyard for masses of thugs with molotov's?

Yes, we armed people would fare better. But it would not be the fun ride many envision it to be.

Armed people would fare better until night time when they Goblins torch them out of their house.

Even if you go to live out your Zombiepocalypse fantasy and lived thru it unscathed you'd still have to deal with the mental end of having to kill a bunch of people.

So you're saying I would be really, really happy?

Link Posted: 1/26/2011 12:10:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Fuck em. Let em get mad. They are just going to burn their own neighborhoods anyway.

Give them enough time without order and an LEO presence, and they'll migrate.

Yeah, I know.  It will get interesting, but this career welfarism has to end someday.  They won't like it, but I don't like being taxed so they can skate by in life.  I don't lose sleep over them coming my way.

It's a real problem with no easy solution, isn't it? We have 3 generations of Welfare families that have never known a family member that got up and went to work in the morning. They typically aren't highschool graduates and have no marketable skill aside from the ability to keep a seat warm. How do you integrate someone who is a poor fit for society like that, even if they WANTED to become productive citizens?

Some people call Welfare "Protection Money", and that's accurate to a degree. Our welfare policies started with Liberal social engineering experiments in the 1960's and have culminated in a public policy where we pay to keep them in prison-like public housing where their own lack of ability to travel far keeps them firmly on the reservation. My own view is that this segment of society is like having a mean dog in your house. Eventually you move his bowl outside to that there is some peace and quiet in the house, but you still have to walk thru the yard to go to work. To get past the dog, you have to feed it and keep it happy or he bites you. To me, that's pretty much where we are at.... If we don't pay them off, they will start biting.

++++++Plus Eleventy Billion
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 12:10:55 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Worth saying again.

I don't sleep much. wiife can handle the rifle just fne and wake me up if need be. Id also start a community watch and warning system with my neighbors with a phone tree and arm any of my neighbors I trust if they are not adequately armed.

I can live with the mental end of protecting my family and property. The looting wont last long when the bodies start piling up anyways.

Link Posted: 1/26/2011 12:11:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Order might not be forthcoming in the event of a .gov payout stoppage.  

It would be in my neighborhood.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 12:14:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Fuck em. Let em get mad. They are just going to burn their own neighborhoods anyway.

migrate into a bunch of lead poisoning in this state.

Damn straight.

Shit will be so cash.

Actually it won't. It will be horrible.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 12:20:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Worth saying again.

Maybe,.. I don't know you. Having to listen to a man you gut shot scream for 3 hours before he dies on your front lawn just might make you do cartwheels on the inside.

Hard to say.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 12:39:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Worth saying again.

Most people I know who actually DID kill people, do not talk about it like it was a fun event.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 12:41:25 AM EDT
[#10]
The scenario almost happened years back.  When Engler was governor they put a 5 year limit on welfare.

Granholm and crew repealed it before any noticeable effect occurred.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 12:56:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 1:03:06 AM EDT
[#12]
That city can FOAD.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 1:03:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Are there never power outages in cities, including big cities?

Aren't there lots of them when a hurricane, ice storm, tornado, etc... happens?

Other than Nawlens where have been the societal breakdowns?

Anyway, maybe that should be a strategy.   Cut power to the innner cities for a week.  Afterwards, less welfare checks issued.

wrong we will poney up to build anew.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 1:15:51 AM EDT
[#14]
This is the country where 20 years ago our ghetto's pioneered killing someone over their Air Jordans, what will happen when it comes down to something that is needed and not just wanted? I'm willing to bet fires will start at the suggestion that the checks will stop, long before they do stop, and longer still before a stomach growls with hunger.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 1:20:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Cut off welfare, there will be riots, military and police won't make a difference, as always as it ever will be, law abiding citizens will defend themselves.  It will not end well for those wishing to do evil.

Military put into that situation would be less then useless
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 1:53:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
This is the country where 20 years ago our ghetto's pioneered killing someone over their Air Jordans, what will happen when it comes down to something that is needed and not just wanted? I'm willing to bet fires will start at the suggestion that the checks will stop, long before they do stop, and longer still before a stomach growls with hunger.

Yep.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 2:07:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Worth saying again.

Most people I know who actually DID kill people, do not talk about it like it was a fun event.

I'm not most people.

Link Posted: 1/26/2011 2:10:21 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

You guys have never heard the term ghetto goblin? I remember hearing it back when I started in EMS in '92.

As much as we'd like them to quit pissing away our tax dollars it's not going to happen. Honestly, like in one of the examples another poster typed, it's basically keeping them in one place. Think of section eight housing and the failure that is. Now look at how so many areas are trying to convert the projects to single family dwellings and so they close the projects and the trolls disperse into the surrounding area- primarily the apartment complexes. Suddenly areas that were nice are complete shitholes- just like the projects these people left. In some ways it's better to keep them all centrally located and away from the tax paying decent folk.

most of arfcom comes off like a bunch of sheltered white kids that sound like eddie murphy used to in the 80's trying to sound like a white guy in his stand up routines....

The HA's are closing down the  "slums" pushing things to the single family homes/town homes. Problem is like you stated they get circulated into the apartment and local rental communities.  Even market rent communities can not turn away sec8 vouchers. In case someone is sitting there going " well that'll never happen ..my place is 1500 a month.."

seen it happen..many times along with the bullshit that follows...

We have had power outages before as well and had the same response from those in the AO. More concerned that jerry springer was off than the power.  

The system is way more fucked  than what the avg. american thinks. We'll start to see more and more stories like this as it spreads into higher income areas or those who had are now the have nots and have to make a life change to survive during economic issues.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 2:15:28 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Worth saying again.

Link Posted: 1/26/2011 2:17:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:
You guys have never heard the term ghetto goblin? I remember hearing it back when I started in EMS in '92.

As much as we'd like them to quit pissing away our tax dollars it's not going to happen. Honestly, like in one of the examples another poster typed, it's basically keeping them in one place. Think of section eight housing and the failure that is. Now look at how so many areas are trying to convert the projects to single family dwellings and so they close the projects and the trolls disperse into the surrounding area- primarily the apartment complexes. Suddenly areas that were nice are complete shitholes- just like the projects these people left. In some ways it's better to keep them all centrally located and away from the tax paying decent folk.

most of arfcom comes off like a bunch of sheltered white kids that sound like eddie murphy used to in the 80's trying to sound like a white guy in his stand up routines....

The HA's are closing down the  "slums" pushing things to the single family homes/town homes. Problem is like you stated they get circulated into the apartment and local rental communities.  Even market rent communities can not turn away sec8 vouchers. In case someone is sitting there going " well that'll never happen ..my place is 1500 a month.."

We have had power outages before as well and had the same response from those in the AO. More concerned that jerry springer was off than the power.  

The system is way more fucked  than what the avg. american thinks. We'll start to see more and more stories like this as it spreads into higher income areas or those who had are now the have nots and have to make a life change to survive during economic issues.

Yep. I was in Houston during/following Katrina. My above average gated community was soon covered in graffiti, trash, and had cars broken into by the very residents who lived with us... It was NEVER like that before Katrina... the Katrina money (fema checks) eventually dried up and they moved out, only to get vouchers and move back in.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 2:20:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:
This is my normal response to people who ask me why I am the way I am.

I just ask them how long do they think they could go with the power being out?

People start in with the, "Well it always just comes back on in a few minutes to hours."

What if it does come back on for a few days?

I have food, enough gas in my car, and you know it always come back on..."

What if it doesn't?

How long can you make it?

People start to change the subject real quick.

Ours went out winter before this one for 11 days. Even being prepared, losing it for that long in the dead of winter is rough. Especially when your gen goes tits up. You can think youre prepared but trust me lots of stuff rears its ugly head you wont ever expect or prepare for.

11 days?  In winter...

Shit, that can be deadly.

Even prepared or partly prepared, it's a big shocker when it hits home.

Do you have an SO? or kids?  I imagine if you did they wanted to run the gen for some frivilous shit at times...

My parents went with a completely gas and electric ran home, no wood stove...and they live in MT...not smart.

And for the buildings that have a wood stove they don't stock up more than a couple days worth of wood.

This kind of shit literally scares the crap out of me.

Lots of people talk about SHTF, zombies, and nuclear apocolypse shit and it never seems to hit home because it's so far fetched.

The power grid going down, and everything that we rely on, gas, money, food, water, everything is tied to it.  

99.9% of people are going to go from fat and happy into fucking ape-shit, raping each other in a week because everything is going to go tits up when the power shuts off...

Link Posted: 1/26/2011 2:22:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Worth saying again.

That's at close range.  If you do it from a long way away sitting behind a desk it's pretty much high fives and hell yeahs.  Distance is your friend.  

Link Posted: 1/26/2011 2:24:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What scares me is that in an absence of order, it won't take long to burn out all the buildings in their own 'hood and then spread out for more. That's when things will get bad, just like in the '60s riots.

They tried that shit in Vegas, during the Rodney King Riots.

They never made it to Downtown Vegas, or the Strip. That's because LVMPD wouldn't stand for it (kudos to Metro). The rioters burned down their own part of town.

Link Posted: 1/26/2011 2:32:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Anyway, maybe that should be a strategy. Cut power to the innner cities for a week. Afterwards, less welfare checks issued.

Things were pretty rough here back in what, '03 when we had the Midwest Power Outage. A whole lot of businesses were burglarized, ATM's yanked out of the street etc. If they would have run out of things to loot after those 3 days it could have been different. Hell, the National Guard had to bring Water Buffalos in on the 3rd day-wouldn't have been much longer and people would have started to die from dehydration.

They had some problem in the big blackout in NYC in the 1960's as well. Very limited in scope.

Not saying, nothing would happen, but it would have to be a very widespred outage (statewide) for a long period of time (weeks) before things would get real ugly. Of course the reason for outage and expections of repair could change that dynamic a lot.

the attitude of entitlement and lack of self sufficiency has mushroomed beyond scale in 50 years..the day city services go down beyond 48 hours the big cities will begin to melt down PDQ
this attitude crossed racial lines 2 generations ago. the majority of welfare rats are white and generationaly addicted to government cheese and peanut butter
do not underestimate mans devolution when society fails.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 2:38:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
So long as they stick to burning their own shit up who really cares?

The taxpayers who pay for the rebuilding.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 2:38:13 AM EDT
[#26]
This is why Goverments never stop the pipeline of money from the productive class to the worthless class, this country would burn. Why do you think the first things that a city or state want to cut in times of failing cashflows are Police,Fire, and teachers. They NEVER Ever dare mention cutting peoples "checks". The ghetto must get it's money to keep the peace.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 2:51:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What scares me is that in an absence of order, it won't take long to burn out all the buildings in their own 'hood and then spread out for more. That's when things will get bad, just like in the '60s riots.

On the other hand, when they get pissed they tend not to wander far from their area.

They burn THEIR homes, not ours.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 2:58:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:

At their own peril.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 3:15:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Read this article:

http://www.mlive.com/politics/index.ssf/2011/01/advocate_republicans_vow_to_en.html

It may get interesting here in Michigan. Like the article says we have people who have been living off the government their whole lives. The entitlement mentality is strong.

Quoted:

Around here they have abandoned "their" neighborhoods thanks to section 8.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 3:19:47 AM EDT
[#30]
s long as there is a fed govt and they have paper, ink and electricity, the welfare checks will not stop
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 3:22:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

On the other hand, when they get pissed they tend not to wander far from their area.

They burn THEIR homes, not ours.

...and then what?  Let me help you out.  I will have to pay even more to rebuild their shit.  Dude.  We need to change the culture first.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 3:23:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:

From what I've seen of that particular demographic, they won't have the brains or the inclination to migrate very far.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 3:25:13 AM EDT
[#33]

Ours went out winter before this one for 11 days. Even being prepared, losing it for that long in the dead of winter is rough

try 16+ in dead of summer after hurricanes.

you can always start a fire to get warm.....its harder to cool down imho.

the mundane day to day stuff will kill off people faster than zombies. While it is fun to talk zombies, etc. Many over look such little things as how much water they actually need per day, or how much food they need to continue on. Its great to qoute stats and say that you could live off 1k calories a day over xyz amount of time. But how many people have tried it or done it?

Not many. Those who have and done more than sit on their ass while on a diet like that know that after a day or two you really start to get sloppy.

Ive seen soccer moms in  60K SUVs fist  fight for ice and the last diet coke...ive seen people break down, get pissed fast and ones that went totally staright to the  " you have to share......im hungery(thristy,fill in the blank).." form of mindset..

take what you know from a few day power outage....times that 100.....now add in your worse black hawk down ,monrovia nightmare   , that is what it will be like if things dont get turned back on after 5-10 days. The longer its out the worse it will get........

Link Posted: 1/26/2011 3:28:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Read this article:

http://www.mlive.com/politics/index.ssf/2011/01/advocate_republicans_vow_to_en.html

It may get interesting here in Michigan. Like the article says we have people who have been living off the government their whole lives. The entitlement mentality is strong.

Quoted:

And landlords that are worthless and don't vet the renters. When I rented out a couple years ago, I refused to rent to section 8ers. NO exceptions. Didn't want the type of people section 8 usually involves. Didn't care if it was reliable rent payment, the trashing of the place usually out weighed it in the long run unless you were a slum lord.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 3:30:00 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Worth saying again.

I'm not most people.

I'd bet you'd be surprised.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 3:30:05 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
"Ghetto goblins"

Ghetto Goblins?

"Ghetto Goblins".... hehe

Look what you started.  Easily a dozen people who will now say "Ghetto Goblins" –– only to be snatched up and reused by folks within earshot.  A year from now it will be a standard phrase.  

I call them welfare schwoogies...
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 3:31:50 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, I know.  It will get interesting, but this career welfarism has to end someday.  They won't like it, but I don't like being taxed so they can skate by in life.  I don't lose sleep over them coming my way.

It's a real problem with no easy solution, isn't it? We have 3 generations of Welfare families that have never known a family member that got up and went to work in the morning. They typically aren't highschool graduates and have no marketable skill aside from the ability to keep a seat warm. How do you integrate someone who is a poor fit for society like that, even if they WANTED to become productive citizens?

Some people call Welfare "Protection Money", and that's accurate to a degree. Our welfare policies started with Liberal social engineering experiments in the 1960's and have culminated in a public policy where we pay to keep them in prison-like public housing where their own lack of ability to travel far keeps them firmly on the reservation. My own view is that this segment of society is like having a mean dog in your house. Eventually you move his bowl outside to that there is some peace and quiet in the house, but you still have to walk thru the yard to go to work. To get past the dog, you have to feed it and keep it happy or he bites you. To me, that's pretty much where we are at.... If we don't pay them off, they will start biting.

Dog bites me....dog gets high velocity round to the face.  Just saying

This.

Liberal welfare policies are all about no teeth, little enforcement, and zero responsibility. Draw some hard lines, enforce them, and within a few years the welfare goons will learn the new rules or perish. In ME, our new conservative gov and legislature just struck down an executive order that says law enforcement can't check citizenship, at the same time they created a bill that says if you smoke, you can no longer qualify for state medical aid. Up next: who knows, but they're creating the new paradigm that the entire country needs.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 3:34:16 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
People who say "Wait until the Welfare checks stop..." may not realize how bad they really are.....

I got a panicked call today from a friend. He works for the city of Detroit and was out on a job with his partner this morning and got in a really dicey situation. They were doing some work on the ground (being vague here for OPSEC reasons, but it was nothing to do with electricity) in a "low rent" area in Detroit-the Cass Corridor. While they were working, the power went out to the street. It didn't take 2 minutes before some fat ghetto heffer was out in her bath robe hollering and screaming that she "GOT'S TO WATCH HER SHO!" and they "can't be just cuttin' off da power like dat.". It took another two minutes for the men to start coming out, milling around and then circling their work truck while they packed up their tools and looked for a graceful exit that wouldn't trigger a beat down. My friend is white, his partner black and the partner was telling him within the first minute that they had to GTFO out of Dodge. Then my buddy noticed a porch light was on but dim and he yelled at them to call DTE and tell them there was a brown out. It was still dicey getting away. Seriously, 3 minutes tops and they went from an everyday workday to "Shit, I might not make it thru this..." because the Ghetto Goblins couldn't watch TV.

I'm sure that this is not unique to Detroit, but look at how little it took to get a 'Rat off the couch and in someone's "Grill"......  Power outages alone could be enough to cause thousands of deaths in the first few days-especially in the absence of Law Enforcement.

It would be GAME ON if welfare were ever cut. I'm convinced that the military would have to be called in advanced to maintain order.

I give this a 9/10. Excellent use of creative phrases, good sense of "presence" for the reader.

From what I have seen in disasters where power is out, initially there is a "party" atmosphere. It's a novelty. Then after a couple days of no hot water, TV, internet, etc. the natives become restless. This seems to be the norm with normal people. I'm going to guess that when your life is entirely built around TV and electricity, as is likely the case with "ghetto goblins," and you are used to being taken care of by the nanny state like a zoo animal, your tolerance for such interruptions is considerably less.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 3:38:46 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Worth saying again.

Armed people would fare better. Armed people in more isolated/rural areas would fare MUCH better. I'm going to guess that any unrest involving "ghetto goblins" would be largely confined to the ghettos and areas within a mile or two. I can't see them piling into their "whips" and trundling out into the country on their 22" rims to make trouble in unfamiliar territory.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 3:39:29 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Read this article:

Quoted:

Yep.  It's hard to run a school district in an exclusively low income area.  Section 8 spreads the problem around.  They think this will help break the cycle.  I say, not a fucking chance.

I will never forget the fuckhead on the news here after Katrina.  He was living off the government a LONG time after the storm.  He said if the government stopped paying him he would turn to crime because "I gots to get mine".
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 3:39:30 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Ours went out winter before this one for 11 days. Even being prepared, losing it for that long in the dead of winter is rough
try 16+ in dead of summer after hurricanes.
you can always start a fire to get warm.....its harder to cool down imho.

the mundane day to day stuff will kill off people faster than zombies. While it is fun to talk zombies, etc. Many over look such little things as how much water they actually need per day, or how much food they need to continue on. Its great to qoute stats and say that you could live off 1k calories a day over xyz amount of time. But how many people have tried it or done it?
Not many. Those who have and done more than sit on their ass while on a diet like that know that after a day or two you really start to get sloppy.

Ive seen soccer moms in  60K SUVs fist  fight for ice and the last diet coke...ive seen people break down, get pissed fast and ones that went totally staright to the  " you have to share......im hungery(thristy,fill in the blank).." form of mindset..

take what you know from a few day power outage....times that 100.....now add in your worse black hawk down ,monrovia nightmare   , that is what it will be like if things dont get turned back on after 5-10 days. The longer its out the worse it will get........

This.

I have in the Survival Forum the experiences/lessons learned from 8 weeks of no power, water, communications, etc. that we lived through in the aftermath of Katrina.

Link Posted: 1/26/2011 3:39:52 AM EDT
[#42]

The power grid going down, and everything that we rely on, gas, money, food, water, everything is tied to it.  

99.9% of people are going to go from fat and happy into fucking ape-shit, raping each other in a week because everything is going to go tits up when the power shuts off...

(minor hijack)

Maybe it's just not a possibility, but I'm kind of surprised terrorists haven't gone this route. The 2-5 days the power was out (depending on your location) was a complete mess in the area and especially in Detroit. Working for EMS in the city I got a first hand look at how un-prepared a lot of the population is for even the minor inconveniences of a power outage. They do know however how to make poor go a long way, whereas some more affluent folk freak the fuck out if they don't have cell service and can't get their caramel mocha latta latte.

(/minor hijack)

Link Posted: 1/26/2011 3:40:28 AM EDT
[#43]
Stock food, guns and ammo.

This is both a primary cause of our nations problem and will be one of the major problems when the collapse comes.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 3:40:34 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Quoted:

In Huntsville, Alabama, the Housing Authority has done some shady back-room stuff in ~2009to farm out individuals from housing projects to a wide range of neighborhoods in an attempt to "deconcentrate poverty".  Google "Stone Manor Huntsville".

The citizens who didn't want the thugs and welfare rats "deconcentrated" pushed back, but (IIRC) the HA had already purchased appt buildings.

It was a real goatfuck and probably the reason the mayor didn't get reelected.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 3:41:16 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Quoted:
This is my normal response to people who ask me why I am the way I am.

I just ask them how long do they think they could go with the power being out?

People start in with the, "Well it always just comes back on in a few minutes to hours."

What if it does come back on for a few days?

I have food, enough gas in my car, and you know it always come back on..."

What if it doesn't?

How long can you make it?

People start to change the subject real quick.

Ours went out winter before this one for 11 days. Even being prepared, losing it for that long in the dead of winter is rough. Especially when your gen goes tits up. You can think youre prepared but trust me lots of stuff rears its ugly head you wont ever expect or prepare for.

I lived for more than two years in South Asia without electricity. I did have a modest stash of AAs for my Walkman,shortwave and minimag which I nursed ever so carefully. If you have the correct mind-set it is not a hard transition. Water will have to be collected in buckets from rivers or pumped by hand from a shallow well. You will get up when the sun rises and be going to bed not long after it sets (trust me you will be tired). Walking or bicycles will be the mode of transportation. With no refrigeration, fruits and veggies will be seasonal items (feast then famine) and meat will be a luxury. Firewood for cooking, water sterilization, light and heat will be a commodity. Many modern American homes really aren't suited for "non-electrified" living so people will modify and adapt them as best they can. Private generators and "off-the-grid" power will only be a stopgap for most who have them to make the lifestyle transition to "no power" a little less dramatic. The inner cities will be fucked for a variety of reasons.

Link Posted: 1/26/2011 3:42:47 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
As long as there is a fed govt and they have paper, ink and electricity, the welfare checks will not stop

Tru dat dawg.  The value of the dollar be damned, just borrow more, when no one will lend it to us, print it.  

Ghetto Goblins!  
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 3:43:16 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anyway, maybe that should be a strategy.   Cut power to the innner cities for a week.  Afterwards, less welfare checks issued.

Things were pretty rough here back in what, '03 when we had the Midwest Power Outage. A whole lot of businesses were burglarized, ATM's yanked out of the street etc. If they would have run out of things to loot  after those 3 days it could have been different. Hell, the National Guard had to bring Water Buffalos in on the 3rd day-wouldn't have been much longer and people would have started to die from dehydration.

I lived 2 miles out side Detroit in 03. I was getting nervous on that third day. I am convinced that if the blackout had lasted another day or 2, we'd have had real problems.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 3:43:44 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
"GOT'S TO WATCH HER SHO!"

One of the better stories I have read.

Terrifying, isn't it?! It's a good thing they got out when they did. That was a close one.

Link Posted: 1/26/2011 3:46:10 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

+1.

I'll permanently remove them from needing welfare if they choose to mess with me or mine. I may not be able to get them all, but by God I'll make them pay for something for the first time in their lives.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 3:48:51 AM EDT
[#50]
" ghetto goblins "

" Why we used to stack you " ghetto goblins " up like sandbags !

So get off my lawn !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's what I'm talkin' bout !!

Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top