Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/22/2008 11:40:59 AM EDT
[#1]
It is sad, they don't even teach much about WWI in School these days.  Heck I didn't even have hardly any material in WWI in my college history classes.

There are very few WWI movies.  It is truly a forgotten war.

Link Posted: 10/23/2008 6:25:59 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
A couple WWI movies I have seen:

The Light Horsemen - about the Aussie Light Horse units of mounted infantry. Pretty good flick. Tells the story of how they captured Beersheba from the Turks. Has a love story in it but it's still pretty good.

The Lost Battalion - made for TV but I enjoyed it. A true story about a US Army unit that is the spearhead for a new offensive. They advance as ordered but then get cut off and surrounded as their sister units get bogged down and can't keep up with them. Rickie Schroeder plays the BC.

The Lost Battalion is actually a pretty good movie
Link Posted: 10/23/2008 11:52:04 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Light Horsemen - about the Aussie Light Horse units of mounted infantry. Pretty good flick. Tells the story of how they captured Beersheba from the Turks. Has a love story in it but it's still pretty good.

The Lost Battalion - made for TV but I enjoyed it. A true story about a US Army unit that is the spearhead for a new offensive. They advance as ordered but then get cut off and surrounded as their sister units get bogged down and can't keep up with them. Rickie Schroeder plays the BC.

I'd disagree.  Hated Ricky Schroeder trying to play a hero.  Terrain was all wrong, and the story line was.. ehhhhhhhhhhh..

I really liked "A Very Long Engagement" though, so maybe my taste is in my feet.
Link Posted: 11/9/2008 11:40:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

WWII is only a continuation of WWI and the awful treaty of Versailles.

Don't stop at WWII.

I think that, in the future, history will remember the nonsense that dominated the globe from 1914 until 1991 as "The World War", broken down into component parts (WWI, WWII, the Cold War).  Further, I think we're at the beginning of the second great global conflict.

Fun stuff, innit?
Link Posted: 11/9/2008 12:06:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

ANZACS was pretty good too.
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 3:11:20 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm surprised 'Gallipoli' hasn't been mentioned much.  It's actually a pretty good movie also.  I suspect that when the 100 year mark rolls around there will be more.  

By the way, I'm also kind of surprised that no one has really pointed out that WWI is the real reason Europe is, to us, so pussyfied today.  And while we make fun of the cheese-eating surrender monkeys, I suggest you go visit the Ossuary at Verdun and tell me how eager the French were to surrender.  There's a reason that was once the most belligerent country in Europe is now one of the most pacifist.  I just hope this country never has to suffer through anything like that.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top