BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 7:07:19 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

When I was in high school 15 years ago, I had a $150+ bat, about $500 wrapped up in catcher's gear and a $100 glove....and it wasn't the worst.  Friends on the team had batting cages with JUGS machines set up in their backyards.  One our pitchers' dad had his own radar gun.  

I think a lot of parents see sports as a way out of $100k+ for college with the potential of an easy retirement.

More like an inability to face that their life has been a failure.

Link Posted: 3/9/2011 7:08:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Are the rule for High School leagues more wide open, with regard to BPF?  It just seems the means to end a crazy "arms race" are already in place, and would be easy to implement.

I think high school bats have to meet the same 1.15 standard, but that would depend on the state rules I assume.  HS play around here at least must have no higher than a -3 drop.  That is the difference between the length and weight.  A 32in/29oz bat would have a -3 drop.  Little league bats have as high (that I have seen) of a -13 drop.  It is obviously harder to make a bat with a high drop and keep the strength which led to use of more advanced materials (composite, etc) and higher prices.

There are also rules on diameter.  Little League for kids 12 and under have to keep barrel at 2.25 inches.  USSSA leagues don't limit this.  I just bought my son a 2 5/8 in "big barrel" bat.  It is a 2008 model originally priced at $200.  Because it was a couple years old, Dick had it marked down to $90.  It did not have a price or wrapper on the bat so the manager gave it to me for $45.  You are not allowed to take a bat back without the plastic wrapping so he gave me a deal.

Link Posted: 3/9/2011 7:15:35 PM EDT
[#3]
$400 bats & $14,000 bikes... P.T. Barnum knew exactly what he was talking about.

Damn, people are stupid to throw that kind of money away.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 7:17:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are the rule for High School leagues more wide open, with regard to BPF?  It just seems the means to end a crazy "arms race" are already in place, and would be easy to implement.

I think high school bats have to meet the same 1.15 standard, but that would depend on the state rules I assume.  HS play around here at least must have no higher than a -3 drop.  That is the difference between the length and weight.  A 32in/29oz bat would have a -3 drop.  Little league bats have as high (that I have seen) of a -13 drop.  It is obviously harder to make a bat with a high drop and keep the strength which led to use of more advanced materials (composite, etc) and higher prices.

There are also rules on diameter.  Little League for kids 12 and under have to keep barrel at 2.25 inches.  USSSA leagues don't limit this.  I just bought my son a 2 5/8 in "big barrel" bat.  It is a 2008 model originally priced at $200.  Because it was a couple years old, Dick had it marked down to $90.  It did not have a price or wrapper on the bat so the manager gave it to me for $45.  You are not allowed to take a bat back without the plastic wrapping so he gave me a deal.

So, if I wanted to buy a bat that to use for an informal neighborhood softball or baseball game, and wasn't worried about any of these rules, what features give me the best advantage?  
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 7:21:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
When I was in high school 15 years ago, I had a $150+ bat, about $500 wrapped up in catcher's gear and a $100 glove....and it wasn't the worst.  Friends on the team had batting cages with JUGS machines set up in their backyards.  One our pitchers' dad had his own radar gun.  

I think a lot of parents see sports as a way out of $100k+ for college with the potential of an easy retirement.

Have we met?
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 7:23:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Last fall, my 10 yr old son tried out for and made a private travel team.  Most games are an hour away with a couple tournaments 2 hours away.  Hotels and meals add to the cost.  We opted to get a hotel for the 2 hour trip since we could end up having to be at the field at 8am.  We'll probably be out $400 or so for the spring/summer games and uniform.  Meals on the road are obviously costly as well.

Over the winter, we (and several of his teammates) signed up for a hitting clinic put on by an MLB hitting coach that was $400 for 7 two hour sessions.  He had about 35 kids per session with 15 or so coaches from high school, college, and the minor leagues.  They even did video analysis of the swings.  A lot of money, but it was his B-day present and part of his Christmas gifts.

The travel team is saving up (through fundraisers, etc) to go to Cooperstown for a massive tournament when they are 12/13.  Cost per kid is in the $1,000 range.  Games are on the internet and local TV... trip includes tour of the HOF, etc.

I don't do it in hopes of a free college ride (although that would be nice).  I do it because he absolutely loves to play.  He is on two teams counting Little League and probably is on a baseball field 4-5 times a week.  I think since last August he's had about 2 weeks off between fall baseball, hitting clinic, and the travel ball (which started practicing indoors in early Jan after finishing their season Oct 31).  Through all this, he earned his best report card I think ever last fall when he played I think 25 games in a couple months time... A's and one A-.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 7:26:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

So, if I wanted to buy a bat that to use for an informal neighborhood softball or baseball game, and wasn't worried about any of these rules, what features give me the best advantage?  

I'm not a bat expert, but I would think you would want a composite bat that improves with use.  Make sure you let everyone on your team use it to break it in faster.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 7:36:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Last fall, my 10 yr old son tried out for and made a private travel team.  Most games are an hour away with a couple tournaments 2 hours away.  Hotels and meals add to the cost.  We opted to get a hotel for the 2 hour trip since we could end up having to be at the field at 8am.  We'll probably be out $400 or so for the spring/summer games and uniform.  Meals on the road are obviously costly as well.

Over the winter, we (and several of his teammates) signed up for a hitting clinic put on by an MLB hitting coach that was $400 for 7 two hour sessions.  He had about 35 kids per session with 15 or so coaches from high school, college, and the minor leagues.  They even did video analysis of the swings.  A lot of money, but it was his B-day present and part of his Christmas gifts.

The travel team is saving up (through fundraisers, etc) to go to Cooperstown for a massive tournament when they are 12/13.  Cost per kid is in the $1,000 range.  Games are on the internet and local TV... trip includes tour of the HOF, etc.

I don't do it in hopes of a free college ride (although that would be nice).  I do it because he absolutely loves to play.  He is on two teams counting Little League and probably is on a baseball field 4-5 times a week.  I think since last August he's had about 2 weeks off between fall baseball, hitting clinic, and the travel ball (which started practicing indoors in early Jan after finishing their season Oct 31).  Through all this, he earned his best report card I think ever last fall when he played I think 25 games in a couple months time... A's and one A-.

Aint it fun?  My boy is almost 6 and I cant wait until he starts playing real baseball. This kids been hitting hand throw balls since he was a year and a half old. He started t-ball last year and looked at us coached like we were crazy when we put a tee in front of him. He just didnt get it.......he said "Dad....just throw it to me". He plays third and short, I've been hitting some pretty rank grounders at him and he just sucks them up.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 7:42:39 PM EDT
[#9]
And thats why my kids are in wrestling, $25 for shoes and $10 for the head gear. There is no way to buy wins or performance, you got to beat the man to be the man.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 7:46:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Pretty well known in the baseball world.  I still out hit High School kids with a taped S2 from the eighties.  I also used a Trap EZE from 81-90.  At the time it cost $150.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 7:46:36 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

And thats why my kids are in wrestling, $25 for shoes and $10 for the head gear. There is no way to buy wins or performance, you got to beat the man to be the man.

Only cross country/track & field is cheaper - all you need there is the shoes.  Although I doubt you can get any decent athletic shoes for $25 ...... unless they're PakiMade!
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 7:52:30 PM EDT
[#12]
whoops wrong thread
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 8:19:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:

If you have a lathe and a few other tools you can make your own bats by the dozen.

..... out of a tree that has been hit by lightening.......

You'll knock the cover off the ball.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 8:35:36 PM EDT
[#14]
I have no idea what it's about, but the sporting goods chain that advertises on the radio station I listen to is talking about new safety standards mandated for high school bats. Whenever you add a level of safety testing and certification, you're necessarily going to increase the cost of the product.

Also, when I was a kid every "sporting goods" store sold guns. Now it's less than a 1/4.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 8:42:05 PM EDT
[#15]
So I take it that the used baseball gloves I bought for myself and one for my daughter, both costing $25 total, means I'm a bad parent?  
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 8:51:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
So I take it that the used baseball gloves I bought for myself and one for my daughter, both costing $25 total, means I'm a bad parent?  

absolutely not
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 8:54:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Here in MN, just ask any parent who has kids in hockey. You won't believe how much $$$$ it costs to play that sport!

If your child happens to end up a goalie...be prepared to mortage the house!

There is a reason why most hockey players come from middle to upper class families.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 8:59:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Will a $400 bat kill zombies faster?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 9:02:05 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

A bit OT but I ride with friends that have $14,000.00 bicycles.

For that kind of scratch, cycling the pedals better actuate a fucking blowjob

Link Posted: 3/9/2011 9:08:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Here in MN, just ask any parent who has kids in hockey. You won't believe how much $$$$ it costs to play that sport!

If your child happens to end up a goalie...be prepared to mortage the house!

There is a reason why most hockey players come from middle to upper class families.

I played in a beer league for a while. I have something like $800 invested in gear, including a $250 stick.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 9:09:27 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

absolutely not

fixed.  if she's over the age of 2 she needs sliding shorts.  

Link Posted: 3/9/2011 9:30:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

absolutely not

She's 5 and she's already thrown the ball right into the uh... 'strike zone.'  When she saw how much pain I was in, she came running over to try and comfort me.  Once I regained my faculties, I told her it was OK.  I know she didn't mean to do it, but to just remember how to do the same thing when she gets older...
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 9:35:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Eh, you can still get decently priced gear.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 4:50:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're not kidding. My son has played on a travel/select team for the last 3 years.
The investment in time and money is mind boggling when you sit down and add everything up.
Oh, what my gun collection could have looked like........
ETA: We live in north Georgia, but we traveled as far north as Knoxville and Nashville,as far west as Memphis(won 2009 World Series there) and as far south as Pensacola. Plus all over North Georgia and southeast Tenn. It adds up in a big way.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:32:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

absolutely not

She's 5 and she's already thrown the ball right into the uh... 'strike zone.'  When she saw how much pain I was in, she came running over to try and comfort me.  Once I regained my faculties, I told her it was OK.  I know she didn't mean to do it, but to just remember how to do the same thing when she gets older...

Buying a used glove at that age was probably the best thing... it is broken in.  We have kids on the 7/8 yr old team with brand new gloves that can't squeeze them closed.  I guess the only benefit is that if they want to catch the ball, they have to use two hands (fundamentals).  Problem is trying to get them to use two hands.

My 7 yr old uses his older brother's glove since it is well broken in.  I have held off getting him his own as he threw lefty a couple years ago, but last year started throwing / batting as a right hander.  He writes left, so I was confused...
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:32:39 PM EDT
[#26]
I bought my 10 year old a $175 bat that was a close-out from the previous year, marked down from about $300.  It made an amazing difference in his hitting.  I think it might have been due mostly to the proper weight & length for his size and strength.  It's also a larger diameter than a wooden one.  

His bat speed increased along with his confidence.  He's just getting through it faster.  I will probably get him another one when he out grows this one.  Was costly but worth it just to see him hit his first home run.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:48:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cork.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:53:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cork.

Actually cork does the opposite. It weighs less than wood so you end up with a lighter bat; makes you have to hit the ball harder to get the same energy transfer. Mythbusters proved it
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:55:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Until the MLB starts to using metal and composite bats, I'd have my kids using wood. Keeps their head in the game. You want to hit it further? Learn the techniques, don't count on technology because you might not get to use it later on.

Yes, I favor wooden bats.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:59:30 PM EDT
[#30]
I've spent a lot of money on my son's baseball and I've loved every minute of it.

You can't hide in baseball, expensive equipment doesn't mask poor performance.

I was going to ask why people care what others spend on their families but, then I remembered this GD.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:05:26 PM EDT
[#31]
If you spend that much jack on a bat you should be entitled to four strikes at the plate!
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:11:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Yes, I favor wooden bats.

+1, my son also agrees and wishes all leagues used wood or wood composites like Baum, Combat or DeMarini.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:16:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:
and those expensive extra 10 yard bats "wear out" after so many hits and you need to buy the new model

when i was a kid i played baseball with a 20 year old bat

My kids have been to The Bat in L-ville and we bought bats there.  $20 or so, not including the free ones at the end of the tour (which really was free for military).

Of course . . . it never gets used.

Believe it or not, I've been on that tour 3x in 6 months, taking out of town guests

We have over 6 bats, when 2 kids under age 6 get in free with a paying adult and you go a few times, you accumulate bats
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:17:34 PM EDT
[#34]
1. Create the hype, sell the fake need, and the sheeple will shell out the big bucks.

2. Winning is all that counts, no matter how much it costs.

3. The old game of who's got the biggest dick has evolved into who has the thickest wallet.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:29:33 PM EDT
[#35]

Organized sports for kids is such a scam. The only thing worse is people who waste thousands of dollars on "dance" competitions ( i.e. juvenile stripper academy .)

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:47:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Quoted:
HOLY CRAP!!!! I'm not that old (I turn 40 this year), but I just saw a Sports Authority commercial for baseball equipment.  $200-$300 for a freakin' BAT?  When the hell did that happen?  Jeez...

Gotta pay to play.    

Is it really any different than your average Arfcom 400 lb land whale buying a Colt 6920 and an Aimpoint M4, along wit the 5.11 pants just to wheeze around on the range and pretend he's Costa for one or two Saturdays a month?  

"...just to wheeze around on the range..."
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:50:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

... but they have to wear tights.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:50:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
A while back. Sporting goods have become all high tech in their design and materials –– playing sports has gotten expensive.

What gets me is all the "less fortunate" kids trying to keep up with the richer kids that have all the snazziest and newest item. Either the kid pesters mom and/or dad enough to they cave in to buying the expensive crap or they get ridiculed because their equipment isn't the shit.

It's fucking stupid.

I remember when I played sports, if I even dare asked my parents for a major name brand item, they would whoop my ass and tell me a Wilson glove caught just as well as a Nike one.  

I would much rather have the Wilson glove than the Nike one. In fact,I have two Wilson gloves.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:52:33 PM EDT
[#39]
I would go find a tree and carve a bat with a pocket knife before I pay that much.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 11:44:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Actually Wilson gloves are held in higher regard than Nike.  Your parents were right.

I recently bought a Nokona.  It's a really nice glove.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top