Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 6:31:04 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
The most ridiculous part of this is the definition of alert.  The last time a car I was driving was sniffed by a dog, the dog "alerted" the handler by not barking, or so the handler claimed.  The time before that, the dog barked once, and the handler said it was an alert.  (Aside: the dog was probably barking at a couple of sausage biscuits I had in the seat since that's what he attacked immediately after the door was opened while the handler wasn't paying attention)  While watching a roadblock in front of my office, I saw another dog lay its head down, and the handler claimed it was an alert.  No matter what the dog does, you're screwed.z

I can't be the only one that caught this!!  That's not my coat/not my car/not my purse/and these pants I'm wearin' don't belong to me either.  I'm just usin' them.

Oh, and as this gets better...........

IBTL
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 6:35:25 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Don't count on it getting tossed.  There is no specific time limit at to what is reasonable.  It would depend on the circumstances on a case by case basis.  

by policy here, 'reasonable' is about 20 minutes.  

I'm sure this has happened in the past, I don't doubt that, but imagining that some K9 handler would 'fake' that his dog alerted...  that is just un fathomable.  

dinhonest, unethical, impossible to defend in court, and a big fat waste of everyone's time.  I just can't imagine a cop doing it.  Why bother?  walk the dog around the car, if he doesn't alert, then save yourself some time.  Like the cop "knows" more than the dog does?  bah...  crazy talk.

Quoted:
Drugs are frequently found in the back seats of patrol cars.  Improperly searched suspects stuff illegal drugs and weapons where the back seat cushions meet.  

You still have cushions?  how quaint...  hard plastic baby!!    no stuffing and puke cleans out very nicely.

Link Posted: 1/10/2005 7:07:12 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm on the fence on this one.  

Some loser with a nickel bag of weed in his pocket gets searched for weapons or explosives and the weed is the only thing found. They take the weed and he goes on his way, right? Hardly. He now has a possession charge although what was originally being sought was never found. Now I'm hardly a druggie's advocate but this is a simple example of how procedures can be misused.

Say a guy gets pulled over for a lane violation.  Everything seems normal, no suspicions, and the LEO who pulls him over has a drug dog who alerts on the trunk.  They detain him, open the trunk, and he has 200 pounds of cocaine or ingredients and equipment for a meth lab.  You think they should let him go?  No way.  I guess it depends on the severity of the offense, it's not black and white.  He has a small bag of weed - I can see writing him a ticket with a summons for it.  20 pounds of it - he gets the bracelets.

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Pretty fucking clear???

These searches of opportunity are BS, no matter the scale. The 2nd means nothing without the 4th.

You know what is pretty fucking clear? The word UNREASONABLE. Look it up.

A dog walking around your car during a lawful encounter with a LEO is NOT unreasonable. That is just stupid.

Call me a Nazi. I'll call many of y'all here snivilling, irrational, paranoid pussies. Hey, everyone has an opinion, right?
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:09:43 AM EDT
[#4]

I can't be the only one that caught this!! That's not my coat/not my car/...

It wasn't my car.  What's the problem with that?  I don't own a car, and my boss handed me his keys to go pickup biscuits at Hardee's.  Why do cops have such a problem with something like that?z
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:28:16 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

That's pretty clear.  Searches are okay.  Only unreasonable searches are not.

Your ideas of what is reasonable and what mine are are worlds apart.

You are a part of the machine, an apparatchik who will do whatever he can to incarcerate people. You've previously stated that you could find PC anytime you wanted. If that is the case, our system no longer protects the citizens from overzealous JBTs like you.

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:29:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Sorry,But if a person ,Barks back at a K-9 dog,it has been ruled as an "Assault on a Police Officer" and the guy was sentenced to like 3 years.
This has been posted here before.
Now,the point is: That if a K-9 dog is considered a "Police Officer",Then the Same Rules/Laws apply to any attempted search by this type of officer.
I am pretty sure any Lawyer worth a shit,could get any search conducted in this manner,thrown out,if they did their reasearch correctly by showing the numerous cites where K-9 dogs were clearly declared as a police officer.
It doesn't matter if it is a dog, the defence needs to assert the same logic and court cites that the prosecutors use,in successfully prosecuting cases against people for Barking at, hitting,assaulting in any manner,a K-9 dog on a police force,because the main charge is always "Assault or attempted Murder of a Police Officer".
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:32:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Entry:   search
Part of Speech:   verb
Definition:   seek
Synonyms:   beat, beat about, cast about, chase after, check, comb, examine, explore, ferret, fine-tooth-comb, forage, frisk, go through, grope, grub, gun for, hunt, hunt for, inquire, inspect, investigate, look, look for, look over, poke into, probe, prospect, pry, quest, rake, ransack, rifle through, root, rummage, run down, scan, scour, scout, scrutinize, seek, shake down, sift, smell around, study, track down
Source:   Roget's New Millennium™ Thesaurus, First Edition (v 1.1.1)
Copyright © 2005 by Lexico Publishing Group, LLC. All rights reserved.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:33:52 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Sorry,But if a person ,Barks back at a K-9 dog,it has been ruled as an "Assault on a Police Officer" and the guy was sentenced to like 3 years.
Now,the point is: That if a K-9 dog is considered a "Police Officer",Then the Same Rules/Laws apply to any attempted search by this type of officer.
I am pretty sure any Lawyer worth a shit,could get any search conducted in this manner,thrown out,if they did their reasearch correctly by showing the numerous cites where K-9 dogs were clearly declared as a police officer.
It doesn't matter if it is a dog, the defence needs to assert the same logic and court cites that the prosecutors use,in successfully prosecuting cases against people for Barking at, hitting,assaulting in any manner,a K-9 dog on a police force,because the main charge is always "Assault or attempted Murder of a Police Officer".

I love it!

Guess, what? You are more right than you know! If I walk up to a car and smell drugs I can then search it so the dog and I are given the same "authority"!

Thanks for backing us up and so much for your legal brainstorm!

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:35:35 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Entry:   search
Part of Speech:   verb
Definition:   seek
Synonyms:   beat, beat about, cast about, chase after, check, comb, examine, explore, ferret, fine-tooth-comb, forage, frisk, go through, grope, grub, gun for, hunt, hunt for, inquire, inspect, investigate, look, look for, look over, poke into, probe, prospect, pry, quest, rake, ransack, rifle through, root, rummage, run down, scan, scour, scout, scrutinize, seek, shake down, sift, smell around, study, track down
Source:   Roget's New Millennium™ Thesaurus, First Edition (v 1.1.1)
Copyright © 2005 by Lexico Publishing Group, LLC. All rights reserved.

I bet you have a point buried in there some where, eh?
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:40:23 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I love it!

Guess, what? You are more right than you know! If I walk up to a car and smell drugs I can then search it so the dog and I are given the same "authority"!

I know that i am right concerning this.My point is about the initial search,If an officer pulls someone over but has no P.C. for a search,{Meaning he/she did not smell or see anything}, but then hold the person and vehicle until a K-9 unit arrives to conduct a walk around.This action would be considered an illegal search,by a police officer {K-9 dog}.

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:45:43 AM EDT
[#11]
About a year after I bought my BuickGN, I took apart the center console and found a bag of dried up marijuana.  

I can only IMAGINE the CLUSTERFUCK that would have taken place had it had been "sniffed out" one day, or even better while I was on my way to the range with a trunk full of firearms.

My blood is already boiling from the WACO thread, so I'll just leave this where it is.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:46:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Problems with these dogs are that they seem to alert on anything. Been there done that. Seen officers that are a little more than untrained, say, look he alerted. However, he just farted and made a sudden move and sat down. Then on with the 4th amend violations and so forth. We should not be subject to violating based on a dog "alerting" on our car.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:58:17 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I love it!

I know that i am right concerning this.My point is about the initial search,If an officer pulls someone over but has no P.C. for a search,{Meaning he/she did not smell or see anything}, but then hold the person and vehicle until a K-9 unit arrives to conduct a walk around.This action would be considered an illegal search,by a police officer {K-9 dog}.

Yeahhhhh... Well if the K9 is just like a police officer then he can legally walk around the car just like the cop can and smell for evidence just like the cop can... RightO, BuckO?
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 11:01:05 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Problems with these dogs are that they seem to alert on anything. Been there done that. Seen officers that are a little more than untrained, say, look he alerted. However, he just farted and made a sudden move and sat down. Then on with the 4th amend violations and so forth. We should not be subject to violating based on a dog "alerting" on our car.

Good handlers keep a log just like a sniper. They can verify the number of verified hits compared to false positives. A dog with too many false positives or no log is gonna be out of a job. If the dog is worked with no log or too many false positives any lawyer worth his salt can get the gharge tossed.

Some of y'all here want to tie our hands worse than the libs.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 11:48:41 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good handlers keep a log just like a sniper. They can verify the number of verified hits compared to false positives. A dog with too many false positives or no log is gonna be out of a job. If the dog is worked with no log or too many false positives any lawyer worth his salt can get the gharge tossed.

Too bad if the false positives erupt on the traffic stop eh?

You will never convince me or alot of the persons on this board that the LE agencies that spend $10k for a dog and training, are going to just fire a dog for a few false hits. I have seen these handlers you speak of and they regard a false hit as a bad day and laugh about it.

That said, you yourself admit that the system with these dogs is not even close to good. Kind of like a pistol that jams every other round. You would put it aside for one that is reliable due to your life being on the line. Well my friend, in this case, the dog is the unreliable pistol and the life on the line is the poor chap you pull over.

Your line of thinking sounds more like"The ends justify the means"
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:05:40 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Too bad if the false positives erupt on the traffic stop eh?

You will never convince me or alot of the persons on this board that the LE agencies that spend $10k for a dog and training, are going to just fire a dog for a few false hits. I have seen these handlers you speak of and they regard a false hit as a bad day and laugh about it.

That said, you yourself admit that the system with these dogs is not even close to good. Kind of like a pistol that jams every other round. You would put it aside for one that is reliable due to your life being on the line. Well my friend, in this case, the dog is the unreliable pistol and the life on the line is the poor chap you pull over.

Your line of thinking sounds more like"The ends justify the means"

"Not even close to good"? Now where in the hell do you get that??? My experience with the dogs I have seen working affirms for me that they are usually highly accurate with a good track record. 100%? Of course not. What is? Eyewitnesses? Nope.

The handlers you mention certainly are not the "ones I speak of" and you are MORE than putting words in my mouth... The ones I know are very serious about their profession and train 8 hours per week. Their dogs are very, very good.

If the department keeps working a poor dog they will lose cases and will get sued.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:12:54 PM EDT
[#17]
"He said he never calls in Luctor unless he has a reasonable suspicion that drugs, weapons or other contraband are in the car and he has exhausted his other options."

If the officer did have "reasonable suspicion" that the car containes drugs, etc., then he could have searched the vehicle himself.  He called the dog in because he didn't have legitimate "reasonable suspicion" and was using the dog to make his case for him.  Any other way of  justifying it is pure bullshit.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:17:15 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
"He said he never calls in Luctor unless he has a reasonable suspicion that drugs, weapons or other contraband are in the car and he has exhausted his other options."

If the officer did have "reasonable suspicion" that the car containes drugs, etc., then he could have searched the vehicle himself.  He called the dog in because he didn't have legitimate "reasonable suspicion" and was using the dog to make his case for him.  Any other way of  justifying it is pure bullshit.

You call it bullshit. The system calls it legal.

During a traffic stop you get feelings that you may not be able to articulate. You see things that may tweak you. You observe behaviors that are not right. That ain't reasonable suspicion but a dog hitting on that car is and calling him in is prudent. It is called DOING YOUR JOB.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:25:11 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Drugs are frequently found in the back seats of patrol cars.  Improperly searched suspects stuff illegal drugs and weapons where the back seat cushions meet.  

You still have cushions?  how quaint...  hard plastic baby!!    no stuffing and puke cleans out very nicely.

Most PD's here get their patrol cars from a state bid contracted price.  They don't care about an officer's safety or how easy it is to clean puke up.  Some departments like the NYSP don't even have a cage and transport handcuffed subjects in the R/F seat if they are on one man patrols.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:57:44 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I can't be the only one that caught this!! That's not my coat/not my car/...

It wasn't my car.  What's the problem with that?  I don't own a car, and my boss handed me his keys to go pickup biscuits at Hardee's.  Why do cops have such a problem with something like that?z

Because in a cops view, just about everyone they meet on the job is a liar.  It doesn't matter if you are or not, in their view, you are.  You can call me a lot of things, but never, ever call me a liar.  That burns my blood about as bad as anything.  That's when I'd start getting a little "testy" with the officer.

Calling me one in relation to this thread doesn't mean squat, however.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 1:29:13 PM EDT
[#21]

If Freeman thinks they're hauling drugs, he'll ask to search the car. In three years fewer than 10 people have refused. But if they do, or if he can't find anything and is still suspicious, he brings in Luctor the drug dog.

He said he never calls in Luctor unless he has a reasonable suspicion that drugs, weapons or other contraband are in the car and he has exhausted his other options. Otherwise, he said, it would be time-consuming and might not hold up when the case is filed.

Now wait a second.  It's pretty widely accepted that you can safely go up to 5 over the limit without getting pulled over.  This guy is targeting people who are in that zone.  So say I am driving to Florida, and I am going 70 in a 65, slower than MOST traffic there.  Or it's late and I forget to use my signals.  Or there is some obscure state-specific traffic law that I am not necessarily aware of.  He comes up to the window and I'm wondering why he pulled me over.  He found an EXCUSE to pull me over to look for drugs.  He then asks me if he can search my car.  I have nothing illegal in my car, and need to get moving, AND I KNOW MY RIGHTS, so I say "No, you may not search my car.  You have no cause, and I have nothing illegal in my vehicle."  Hmmm, since I didn't let him tear apart my car and rummage through our luggage, I must have something to hide, right?  So I will have to sit there and wait while a drug sniffing dog comes to check my car, or more officers to search it?  Is knowing my rights actually probable cause?

How sad.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 1:46:54 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Is knowing my rights actually probable cause?

It is to a lot of them.  It's pretty much an us vs them thing.  I can understand it to a point, but it sure is aggrevating when you're not blue.  We, as in the public, are the enemy and it seems we are always the one's in the wrong no matter what happens.

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:13:52 PM EDT
[#23]
I believe the officer in the article has the dog with him.  That is the way it sounds to me.   Not a matter of waiting an unreasonable amount of time if the dog it already there.    

And, no,  telling a cop to pound sand does not create PC.

If a cop tells you "Oh well then, if you won't let me search your car then I'll get a dog to come sniff your car." - I'll let you in on a little secret....  He's tricking you.  

No law says that we have to tell the truth.  

We pulled a guy over for speeding and failure to maintain lane.  Late at night taking the back roads.  doesn't seem drunk.  my buddy asks if he has drugs in the car or if he has used drugs recently.  the guy says no.  my buddy says "Well, I have a drug dog in my car and he is freaking out about something.  Any reason he would be acting that way?"  kid cops to having a little weed.  we take his weed, cite him for possession of MJ, less than an oz.   Couldn't prove DUI-Cannabis...  

THERE WAS NO DOG IN THE CAR.  If the kid wasn't a little pot smoker he would have said, "No, I have no idea why your dog is acting that way."  Hell, he might have even figured out that there was no dog.  

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:41:08 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm not for drugs or drug running, but running a dog around somebodies car is a search and SHOULD require a warrant.

Lord Jesus come quickly.

I cannot believe the number of people here on ARFCOM who are condoning this practice.

Your homes are next.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:51:15 PM EDT
[#25]
If its not a search why do you need special searching equipment?
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:00:32 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

It is a search, but falls under the "plain sight" exception to the Fourth Ammendment.

I bet the officer tickets the drivers when he's done

FWIW, I think the drug dog is OK, but if they search the rig and find no drugs but do find something else, it shouldn't be admissable. Not a legal opinion here, just a personal opinion on the issue.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:20:15 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I tried making that point earlier.  Seems they have the opinion that dogs aren't "equipment" -- the fucking dogs are officers too.  Maybe the nickname should be FIDO instead of PIG.  

but since its an US vs THEM thing...

<LEO>Sit the FVCK DOWN and SHUT THE FVCK UP!</LEO>
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:42:35 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Isn't this like how the Nazis searched passenger vehicles with dogs looking for Jews and contraband?

Or how hueys or blackhawks full of soldiers "on loan" to the DEA are allowed to hover above your property with thermal (or even worse high frequency EM) imaging equipment and look into your house looking for grow lights?

After all, they aren't actually touching you right, so it must be OK.

Dogs searching for Jewish people. Do they have their own unique scent?

About the helicopters... Full of soldiers?? What do they do, jump out on your house if the thermal camera finds a hot spot? FWIW, Thermal imaging equip searching the exterior of a house has been determined to require a search warrant:

It's unconstitutional, at least according to the U.S. Supreme Court, which ruled in U.S. v. Kyllo (2001) that the police can not use infrared cameras to locate "suspicious" concentrations of heat in private places and then get warrants to search for hydroponic systems (which is what they had been doing up until then, and were supposed to stop doing from then on). Instead, the police have to get a search warrant before they can use an infrared camera to search private property for "suspicious" emissions of heat.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:46:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Read up on "reasonable suspicion" versus "probable cause".

An officer would need probable cause to search your vehicle. For example if they saw something in the vehicle, and they can always search your stuff if they are arresting you.

If they do not have probable cause to search, you would have to consent to a search (never do this). Generally if an officer asks to search your car it is because they have NO reason to and are just fishing for a reason to arrest you!  

If you choose not to consent to a search often times the officer may use a veiled threat to call in drug sniffing dogs. Refusing consent to search is not reasonable suspicion, but this is one of our rights that is often violated. The officer is usually required to cite why he believed there was reasonable suspicion to call in the dogs, but that can vary from state to state.

Circling the drain...
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:50:49 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Isn't this like how the Nazis searched passenger vehicles with dogs looking for Jews and contraband?

Or how hueys or blackhawks full of soldiers "on loan" to the DEA are allowed to hover above your property with thermal (or even worse high frequency EM) imaging equipment and look into your house looking for grow lights?

After all, they aren't actually touching you right, so it must be OK.

Dogs searching for Jewish people. Do they have their own unique scent?

About the helicopters... Full of soldiers?? What do they do, jump out on your house if the thermal camera finds a hot spot? FWIW, Thermal imaging equip searching the exterior of a house has been determined to require a search warrant:

It's unconstitutional, at least according to the U.S. Supreme Court, which ruled in U.S. v. Kyllo (2001) that the police can not use infrared cameras to locate "suspicious" concentrations of heat in private places and then get warrants to search for hydroponic systems (which is what they had been doing up until then, and were supposed to stop doing from then on). Instead, the police have to get a search warrant before they can use an infrared camera to search private property for "suspicious" emissions of heat.

And by that light dogs should be the same as FLIR. I rest my case.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 11:12:30 PM EDT
[#31]
This is my hometown newspaper and Tracy Freeman works for the Gregg Co. SO, He almost exclusively works the Interstate as it passes thru Gregg Co.
Hey, this guy takes alot of drugs out of the pipeline and that is a good thing, but he searches alot of people that don't have drugs on them and just leaves their shit on the side of the road for them to pack back up. Almost any trip thru Gregg Co. on I-20 you can see a car pulled over and alot of times you can see families standing outside their cars in all kinds of weather, with clothes and luggage spread out in the ditch.
It works because he is not searching locals that vote. If they were searching Gregg Co. residents, we would soon have a new sheriff. And this practice would end.
I have mixed feeling on this....I want the drugs gone, but this is a shitty way to be treated just because you are driving thru my town and break a minor traffic law.
It has never happened to me, and I could not imagine how pissed I would be if someone threw my shit in the ditch and then just hauled ass.
There has got to be a better way.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 11:16:10 PM EDT
[#32]

There has got to be a better way.

Its called the Constitution.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 11:23:56 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm on the fence on this one.  

Some loser with a nickel bag of weed in his pocket gets searched for weapons or explosives and the weed is the only thing found. They take the weed and he goes on his way, right? Hardly. He now has a possession charge although what was originally being sought was never found. Now I'm hardly a druggie's advocate but this is a simple example of how procedures can be misused.

Say a guy gets pulled over for a lane violation.  Everything seems normal, no suspicions, and the LEO who pulls him over has a drug dog who alerts on the trunk.  They detain him, open the trunk, and he has 200 pounds of cocaine or ingredients and equipment for a meth lab.  You think they should let him go?  No way.  I guess it depends on the severity of the offense, it's not black and white.  He has a small bag of weed - I can see writing him a ticket with a summons for it.  20 pounds of it - he gets the bracelets.

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Pretty fucking clear???

These searches of opportunity are BS, no matter the scale. The 2nd means nothing without the 4th.

You know what is pretty fucking clear? The word UNREASONABLE. Look it up.

A dog walking around your car during a lawful encounter with a LEO is NOT unreasonable. That is just stupid.

Call me a Nazi. I'll call many of y'all here snivilling, irrational, paranoid pussies. Hey, everyone has an opinion, right?

How long does it take to get a canine unit to a traffic stop?
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 12:28:12 AM EDT
[#34]

Your ideas of what is reasonable and what mine are are worlds apart
- and this is the very reason things go to the USC for clarification of what a reasonable standard is.

- All depends on agency, number of dogs working, what calls they might be on, etc.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 1:46:48 AM EDT
[#35]
Based on the logic of some of you are using I shouldn't be allowed on patrol because I'm 6'4" and can actually see over fences into yards.  If I see your pot garden in the backyard you can be sure I'll be knocking at your door.  And it's perfectly legal if I was in a place I had a legal right to be when I saw the pot garden.

Some of you paranoid so-called constitutionalists baffle me.....

Brian
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 2:26:47 AM EDT
[#36]
how is a dog walking around a car sniffing a searh.  the dog is not looking into the vehicle or going through your bags.  if an officer smells alcohol on a driver he tells him to exit the vehicle and gives him a series of tests and if he is drunk then he arrests him.  i do not see the difference between a dog smelling drugs and the cop smelling alcohol.

i did not realize that there were so many dope smokers on arfcom
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 2:38:04 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

- and this is the very reason things go to the USC for clarification of what a reasonable standard is.

- All depends on agency, number of dogs working, what calls they might be on, etc.

So you feel its reasonable to to make a person wait for an hour to get a dog?
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 3:27:12 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
A dog sniffing around the exterior of your car is not a search and does not require RS, PC, or consent.

See that dot at the end of that sentence? It is a period.

Sieg Heil!
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:17:30 AM EDT
[#39]

So, when did my firearms (weapons in above quote) become contraband?

Give me a break, guys.  You know damn well a drug dog is "search equipment" just like FLIR gear.  What are you going to say when you are issued the new Acme2000 air sniffing machine that replaces Fido in 10 years? They already have versions installed at 20 airports across the country, only a matter of time before there is a field version.

A lie told often enough starts to sound like the truth after a while.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:23:23 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

It is a search... It is not an unreasonable search.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:26:54 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So you feel its reasonable to to make a person wait for an hour to get a dog?

Nope and neither does SCOTUS. Have you even READ any of this? You MIGHT learn something.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:28:17 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:
A dog sniffing around the exterior of your car is not a search and does not require RS, PC, or consent.

Sieg Heil!

Ahhh... The Nazi Name Caller Guy! I love him! Fun at parties but kinda slow on the uptake if ya get my drift...
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:33:15 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Nothing like a night full of watching old people phuck to really get you in the mood........
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:45:28 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:02:28 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Holy shit! You got me Dick Tracy!

The "enlightened" ones here were splitting hairs so I split a few myself. The good thing is that I am still right!
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:03:50 AM EDT
[#46]
but what about infringing on the rights of people to traffic drugs???
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:17:12 AM EDT
[#47]
Correct me if I'm wrong but....

What the dog is sniffing is the air, testing the air for particulates that we call scents.  Since we do not own the air individually, it cannot legitamately be called a search.  Granted, the dog alerting (which comes in different forms, not all dogs bark or sit) will trigger a search by the officers, but then they have reasonable and justifiable cause, by dint of suspicious smells lingering by your person/possessions.

Just my $.02.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:10:17 AM EDT
[#48]
Whether or not I am cuffed in the back seat of the patrol car, if I am not allowed to leave, I consider myself arrested.  If a dog is sniffing around my car, my car is being searched.  I don't care what SCOTUS says, I cannot simply get in my car and leave.  I am being held against my will.

Play all the word games you want.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:29:37 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Holy shit! You got me Dick Tracy!

The "enlightened" ones here were splitting hairs so I split a few myself. The good thing is that I am still right!

Don't call me a Dick!

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:39:53 AM EDT
[#50]

It's in discussions like these that people who normally call the ACLU "communists" and "traitors" suddenly realize that PERHAPS the ACLU also occasionally does some good things.

I'm not saying ya'll should run out an join them like ErictheHun and I have but they do fight pretty hard on issues like this (and I like their convenient little wallet card that tells you what you can and cannot do when pulled over)

Now back to your regular programming ...
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top