Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 2:34:25 AM EDT
[#1]
send me your guns.  i will store them properly for you.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 2:44:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Do it. I love working overseas.

See if you can link up with JohnParis - he has a Sabre SBR (and a very beautuful wife, if I do say so myself!).
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 2:46:55 AM EDT
[#3]
I can see how it would be good for the kids and all, But Paris? Gotta really think it over. Whats the wife say? Gotta be big cash involved for me to do it. Plus I hate the french.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:03:25 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Man I don't know how to take this.. The North American Regional director just offered me a Project manager position in Paris France, Its a 2 year position. It would be cool to go back to Europe again.. I lived in Germany for 3 years while in the Army.. But that would mean no firearms for 2 years..

French gun laws are not that bad, you might be able to bring some stuff from your gun safe with you. I recommend a visit to ar15france.com/forums/ to get hold of the details.

EDIT: url made hot
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:38:54 AM EDT
[#5]
The only reason I would enter that shithole country is to place some flowers on a WWII or WWI war memorial supporting americans that died liberating that craphole place. AND I don't think any frenchie parlez-vous frenchie can teach me shit that some American couldn't teach me...But If you want to go, Good-Luck to you.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:41:19 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
And it would be a major step toward upper management..

Is this a French company? Are you working at or near the home office today? Don't count on it doing anything for your career, unless the people you will be working for in France are in a position to promote you. Remember, while you are gone for two years, the guys back home will be putting themselves into position for the good jobs. You'll be out of the picture. Rarely, do these moves work out for the better.

By the time you return, the guys you know and who know you could be gone. Then you're alone and have to rebuild your network.

You do realize that there are American companies that do work in foreign countries?
And that those projects are often handled by people sent there for the duration of the project?
And that these people frequently report back?
And further that the experience of managing a large project of this nature can look good on a resume, especially if this is what the business specializes in.

-or-

That there are American companies that have facilities/offices worldwide?
And that exposure to the people that work in these facilities/offices can lead to opportunities back here in the States?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:04:08 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is this a French company? Are you working at or near the home office today? Don't count on it doing anything for your career, unless the people you will be working for in France are in a position to promote you. Remember, while you are gone for two years, the guys back home will be putting themselves into position for the good jobs. You'll be out of the picture. Rarely, do these moves work out for the better.

By the time you return, the guys you know and who know you could be gone. Then you're alone and have to rebuild your network.

You do realize that there are American companies that do work in foreign countries?
And that those projects are often handled by people sent there for the duration of the project?
And further that the experience of managing a large project of this nature can look good on a resume, especially if this is what the business specializes in.

-or-

And that exposure to the people that work in these facilities/offices can lead to opportunities back here in the States?

First, just so we're clear, you can take your condescending tone and shove it up your ass.

Now, to get to the point, the only thing you know for sure is that if you are away, you are out of the loop.

I've worked for several multi-nationals, and I have seen this happen many times first hand. People on the fast track to senior management are kept close to home. They are not sent overseas to manage projects the locals are capable of handling themselves.

Two years is a lifetime. By the time he returns, his allies could be gone.

This is a decision not to be taken lightly. My advice to the OP is to consult with people who have been in the same situation.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:14:18 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I would only do it if I was w/o kids.

I would think that it would be a great chance for kids to explore a different culture and pick up on a language from its home country.

Just stay away from the Ghetto suburbs of Paris and you will be ok.

+1
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:23:20 AM EDT
[#9]

my god, there really is a http://ar15france.com ! I thought it twas a joke.

OUTFREAKINSTANDING!  
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:54:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Sadly you can't take your guns.  But other than that, it would be nice to see France for a couple years.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:52:53 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-or-

First, just so we're clear, you can take your condescending tone and shove it up your ass.

Now, to get to the point, the only thing you know for sure is that if you are away, you are out of the loop.

I've worked for several multi-nationals, and I have seen this happen many times first hand. People on the fast track to senior management are kept close to home. They are not sent overseas to manage projects the locals are capable of handling themselves.

This is a decision not to be taken lightly. My advice to the OP is to consult with people who have been in the same situation.

Ok the home office is in France.. Its a multinational corp I work for. My unit is being sold off and The North American Regional Director wants to keep me badly. He has the position of NARD for 3 years then he goes back to France (English man living in France). He has expressed interest in me taking over for him but I need some face time at Corp.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:57:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Fat_McNasty, you have a lot to think about. I worked for a multi-national French company for 5 years in the mid-90's and it was a somewhat enlightening experience. The French have a big chip on their shoulder still today. Something to think about.

Anyway, there are a lot of things to consider. Compensation differential is a biggie! Don’t let management try to ignore that.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:02:26 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Fat_McNasty, you have a lot to think about. I worked for a multi-national French company for 5 years in the mid-90's and it was a somewhat enlightening experience. The French have a big chip on their shoulder still today. Something to think about.

Anyway, there are a lot of things to consider. Compensation differential is a biggie! Don’t let management try to ignore that.

Im looking into all of this... Im the only IT tech at my unit so the unit it self is also fighting hard to keep me.

That and I really dont want to close down my gunsmithing shop I have a lot of time and money invested in it. 16+ years...
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:12:55 AM EDT
[#14]
  Send me your guns and Ill keep them clean for Ya Just don't turn into a bleeding Lib wienie
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:13:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Make sure you watch out for these...

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:22:08 AM EDT
[#16]
I can hold your guns for you while you go.  Just offering.  Being neighborly and all.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:24:24 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Im looking into all of this... Im the only IT tech at my unit so the unit it self is also fighting hard to keep me.

That and I really dont want to close down my gunsmithing shop I have a lot of time and money invested in it. 16+ years...

So, who will fight for you when you are off to france?
It's hard to start up a business after it being shuttered for 2 years. Basically means starting over. You will have expenses in 2 countries unless you sell your house here or the company increases your salary quite a bit.
Been to france before, was NOT impressed. Paris was the worst, and that was in the 80s.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:30:58 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're a project manager, correct? Do you think experience in France will help you in your career? My limited experience working with the French indicated that no matter what, they will promote their own people and to hell with the North American division. I'm sure American companies operating overseas work the same way, so it’s not a surprise.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:32:07 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Bad thing is, 2 years from now this country might not be worth coming back to...

[chickenlittle]the sky is falling, the sky if falling

Good grief.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:33:39 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would think that it would be a great chance for kids to explore a different culture and pick up on a language from its home country.

The French kids would learn more.  Like that Americans aren't all obese warmongers bent on taking over the world.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:37:09 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The French kids would learn more.  Like that Americans aren't all obese warmongers bent on taking over the world.

We're not?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:40:19 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

We're not?

Last I checked
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:14:32 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-or-

Ok the home office is in France.. Its a multinational corp I work for. My unit is being sold off and The North American Regional Director wants to keep me badly. He has the position of NARD for 3 years then he goes back to France (English man living in France). He has expressed interest in me taking over for him but I need some face time at Corp.

From a scientific standpoint Mattja is exactly right.  I am a grad student studying industrial-organizational psychology.  I have friends who have done several studies on expatriates and found that often times the experience is NOT worth it for the employee.  There are many factors to think about (cultural, language, family, organizational) and often times those advancements you are promised never materialize.  Generally what happens is you get your two years in outside the country come back to the states in the same position as when you left and then you leave the organization six months later.  There are of course exceptions to this rule but they do not occur often.  Think carefully about this before you go and if you do decide to do it, you and YOUR FAMILY need to learn as much of the culture and language as possible.  Make sure the organization will provide training and will be very sensitive to your needs.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:16:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Go but first get a two year member ship to the NRA.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 1:01:27 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-or-

First, so we're clear, I didn't intend for that to sound condescending. Sorry if it did.
Second we clearly have two different points of view. My company sells machinery. Our upper level types have worked in facilities outside of the US. And it's not uncommon for our PMs to work abroad as well.

Second, it would appear that the second set of circumstances I mentioned are the case. His boss wants him to get face time at the home office.

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 1:07:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:14:18 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
my god, there really is a http://ar15france.com ! I thought it twas a joke.

OUTFREAKINSTANDING!  

Nope, not a joke, and yep, and it's a great site. I just lurk there, since I really have nothing to add. Great place to learn about ARs, just like here. Maybe I'll add something at some point.

ARFCOMmers have to realize:we have a lot more in common with a lot of French (and Germans) than we care to admit. It's their damned governments that get in the way!

Lien fait chaud!
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:06:58 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Bad thing is, 2 years from now this country might not be worth coming back to...

LOL - thats one of the dumbest things Ive heard in a long time.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:18:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Take it!  As much as we give Frace crap for their politics, the country is a good time to visit (just not Paris!).  Excellent bread, meat, wine, cheese etc.  A very long lived culture, and some awesome architecture and art.  The best thing about France is its borders on Germany and Spain.  My German friends are from the Rhineland-Pfaltz region, which borders France, and despite their disdain for French politics they love the goodies from there, and speak some of the lingo too.    Western Europe is a fantastic place minus the gun control and liberal EU politics, go there, you'll never regret it!  
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:22:53 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Take it!  As much as we give Frace crap for their politics, the country is a good time to visit (just not Paris!).  Excellent bread, meat, wine, cheese etc.  A very long lived culture, and some awesome architecture and art.  The best thing about France is its borders on Germany and Spain.  My German friends are from the Rhineland-Pfaltz region, which borders France, and despite their disdain for French politics they love the goodies from there, and speak some of the lingo too.    Western Europe is a fantastic place minus the gun control and liberal EU politics, go there, you'll never regret it!  

Plus quatre-vingts-sept! Once you get outside Paris, people are pretty friendly. Paris is not France, as my French friends used to tell me. Great place, esp. if you live there and have a job.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 11:51:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Do it man! I'd love to have an opportunity to work overseas again.  Especially western europe.  Two years is nothing, and it'll round out your kids and give them some world perspective.  Theres nothing worse than the small-town closemindedness of people who are born, live and die in the same county/state.  Never could understand that myself.  

Allez!

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:49:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Sounds to me like they're trying to shove you out the door....

just my .02¢ and worth what ya paid for it.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:59:39 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I am positively stunned at how bad the schools are here...

Why? They have been like this for years. Oh, and its gonna get worse so keep an eye out for this crap. We cater to the dumb.

But I digress and do not wish to hijack this thread.

Fat.... TAKE THE JOB!! If you can swing it, think of the experience you and your kids will go through... its ONLY two years... think of it as an adventure. Enjoy it.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:14:44 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 3:57:28 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL - thats one of the dumbest things Ive heard in a long time.

The prospect of another Clinton in the White House for 4-8 years appeals to you how?

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:14:28 AM EDT
[#36]
I'd do it just for the experience.  Maybe you'll learn another language too.  Sounds like a win-win, it's a career booster and will probably be pretty horizon expanding.

Do it.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:40:36 AM EDT
[#37]
Are you being offered a French compensation package or an expat package?  If your company is offering you a real expat package (ie, rental compensation and paying for your children to attend the American school in Paris), you'd be nuts to turn this down.  

Some big plusses that come to mind:

1.  The French have a 35 hour work week.  If you work more than 35 hours, your company will give you extra days off.  French companies have been prosecuted for having people working at night who didn't have to.

2.  The French have more than 20 paid holidays per year.

3.  You'll get a full month of vacation.

4.  Ask your employer about "the thirteenth month".

5.  Easy transportation all over Europe.  Feel like going to London?  Hop a metro with your family to the Gar du Nord, take a 2 hour train ride, and arrive in central London.  It's only a 4 hour train ride to the French riviera.

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:42:05 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Wrong… gun ownership is widespread, shooting and hunting are very popular, and France has some of the best gun laws in the Western World.

The real question is whether or not foreigners working in France on non-immigrant visas can own guns.  I suspect the answer is no.  But at least he'd be able to go to the range if he can find some French people with guns...
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:23:22 AM EDT
[#39]
Sir, perhaps the perspective of someone that lived in Italy for nearly seven years would be useful.

First, if you don't already, learn the language.  Not only is it helpful for doing ordinary things like reading your electric bill or buying meat at a butcher shop, but the french in particular get very peeved at someone that doesn't speak their language.  Most European schools teach English, but my experience is that only those that speak english fluently will make any attempt to communicate in other than their native tongue.  The rest are embarrassed by their lack of skill in the English language and harbor some resentment that French instead of English is not the Universal language of the rest of the world.

I don't know what living arrangements your company will provide for you, but you should know that Paris is not far behind Tokyo and London as one of the most expensive cities to live in the world.  That being said make sure you receive an adequate cost of living adjustment of off set the cost of living in Paris in comparison with where you are now.

I'm sure you realize most if not all of Europe uses 220v, 50Hz electric power.  While you can use a transformer to convert 220v to 110v for American appliances, you will use essentially twice as much current to run a 110v appliance as you would a 220v appliance.  Doing so will incur exorbitant energy costs compared to that which you are accustomed.  Regardless if you use transformers, digital appliances that cannot be converted to 50Hz are useless.  European television uses a different format than the US.  Unless you have a multi system TV your US TV will be useless in Europe, even if you opt for cable.  AFAIK Europeans use a PAL/SECAM format, and US TVs are NTSC format.  

Fuel costs are another area of concern.  The last time I was in France they were still using Francs as their unit of currency so I don't know what the Euro equivalent is but you can count on gas for your car being at least three times what we pay in the US.   FWIW, the Paris Metro is one of the most advanced public transportation systems in the world.  When I drove my car there a few years back, it was difficult and expensive to find parking, and I found that using the Metro was much more efficient in terms of both time and money.  Kind of like trying to park your car in NYC, if you don't put it in a garage its likely to get stripped overnight.

Lastly there was a shooting range behind the palace at Versailles the last time I was there.  As far as I could tell it was not run by the military.  Gun stores in France are not uncommon, I've even seen silenced rifles on display at a gun store near Toulon.  I even got to go pig hunting with local friends in the mountains north of Toulon.  I have no idea what the French gun laws allow, but perhaps living there would not have to be entirely without shooting.  HTH, 7zero1.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top